Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir GoMo - €9.99/month SIM only (unlimited calls, texts and 80GB data, 10Gb EU Roam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Aquos76 wrote: »
    These crazy data charges aren’t much different to all the other operators so I dunno why people keep slating GoMo over their prices.

This is what i was talking about. Are you saying this is norm ? Not having a go , genuinely curious.

"Roaming Outside the EU

To be honest, it might be best you steer clear of roaming outside the EU with GoMo. This is a no-frills network and roaming outside the EU is certainly a frill for them. If you want to use data in the United States, it’s charged at €4.99 per MB. That’s over five thousand euro for one GB of data in the States."

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

I was down the county today testing my speeds as I drove along. In Dunmore Co Galway I was only getting 3Mbps download on 3G. 2 miles outside the town my phone changed to 4G so I did a speedtest again and got 88Mbps, highest I ever saw it.
    https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/5438896041

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Escapees wrote: »
    Has anyone heard how many have signed up so far - just wondering if they might end the offer tonight, before Nov?

Won't end tonight but I suspect they will pull it when they get their 100,000 Have read posts here they are "well on their way" to getting there, someone posted they heard this on radio yesterday but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭keos

Lennyzip wrote: »
    This is what i was talking about. Are you saying this is norm ? Not having a go , genuinely curious.

"Roaming Outside the EU

To be honest, it might be best you steer clear of roaming outside the EU with GoMo. This is a no-frills network and roaming outside the EU is certainly a frill for them. If you want to use data in the United States, it’s charged at €4.99 per MB. That’s over five thousand euro for one GB of data in the States."

with vodafone, roaming in the USA is charged at €6.15/MB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They're prob about half way or not far short of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

keos wrote: »
    with vodafone, roaming in the USA is charged at €6.15/MB

with vodafone red, it's unlimited calls/texts/data for 2.99 per day.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

"Roaming Outside the EU

Vodafone: Internet on your phone €6.15/MB
    Eir €4.99 per mb
    Three €5.08 per mb

PaulieC wrote: »

Are you sure about the unlimited data?

PaulieC wrote: »

Not unlimited data, it’s restricted to 200mb

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Aquos76 wrote:

Checking emails is about all that'd be useful for :)

• Advertisement

Vodafone: Internet on your phone €6.15/MB
    Eir €4.99 per mb
    Three €5.08 per mb

Wow . I do remember it been an absolute pain in the hole when I was in the states and turning off the data so not to incur these types of charges . That's why I didn't know because I didn't want to take a chance . Became a real problem when needing Google Maps to find places.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Checking emails is about all that'd be useful for :)

Or about 5 mins using Instagram or Snapchat😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It's not. You get your home allowance on bill pay Red Roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

When roaming outside the EU the best option is to buy a local sim. Many airports have vending machines with them. The only downside is that you don't have your own number to receive calls

Doesn't seem to be the case when selecting bill pay -> USA here.

Strange, no mention of that here

D0-C005-CF-0-EAC-4-D2-A-B045-CB0036-BE0-C76.png

Has anyone who received the SIM just waited to port over for a while to test it out . Might try that as don't want to be completely without my original number .
    I'm assuming in theory here that once your original SIM goes dead it's a successful port over or have people been left with nothing, ie can't make calls or use data . Is that one of the main issues people here are encountering with the porting ? Basically a non functioning phone?

Strange, no mention of that here

D0-C005-CF-0-EAC-4-D2-A-B045-CB0036-BE0-C76.png

As with everything on the VF website it depends on where you look (if you can find it at all).

This is what it says for me:

Travelling outside the EU
    If you’re travelling outside Europe, Vodafone RED Roaming is a simple and cost effective option. RED Roaming gives you unlimited calls and texts back to Ireland and within the country you’re visiting. It also gives you your home allowance of data and international minutes.* All of this is available for a small fixed daily fee, so you don’t need to worry about large bills on your return.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    When roaming outside the EU the best option is to buy a local sim. Many airports have vending machines with them. The only downside is that you don't have your own number to receive calls

I spend about 12+ weeks every year outside the EU. Dual sim phone is the way to go.

In any case we're way off topic.

As with everything on the VF website it depends on where you look (if you can find it at all).

This is what it says for me:

Travelling outside the EU
    If you’re travelling outside Europe, Vodafone RED Roaming is a simple and cost effective option. RED Roaming gives you unlimited calls and texts back to Ireland and within the country you’re visiting. It also gives you your home allowance of data and international minutes.* All of this is available for a small fixed daily fee, so you don’t need to worry about large bills on your return.

Is that, by any chance, for business customers only?

• Advertisement

keos wrote: »
    Is that, by any chance, for business customers only?

Not sure. The site is a nightmare to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

Not a great start with them anyway, ordered on 16th October and still no sign of SIM. contacted them and they said can take up to 10 working days and now on day 11, looks like you do get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

lighthouse wrote: »
    Won't end tonight but I suspect they will pull it when they get their 100,000 Have read posts here they are "well on their way" to getting there, someone posted they heard this on radio yesterday but who knows?

I can see them getting close to 100k signing up but keeping them may be more problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dfarrelly96

Has anyone who received the SIM just waited to port over for a while to test it out . Might try that as don't want to be completely without my original number .
    I'm assuming in theory here that once your original SIM goes dead it's a successful port over or have people been left with nothing, ie can't make calls or use data . Is that one of the main issues people here are encountering with the porting ? Basically a non functioning phone?

The SIM going dead does not mean the port was successful, my Dad's original SIM is gone dead, but not moved to the new SIM, so now nobody can contact him in his original phone, and he cannot make calls or texts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The SIM going dead does not mean the port was successful, my Dad's original SIM is gone dead, but not moved to the new SIM, so now nobody can contact him in his original phone, and he cannot make calls or texts

Is his phone locked to the original SIM service provider? Has he inputted the new SIM pin code?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 will_forde

My GoMo experience so far:
    - Ordered on Wednesday 16 October at 1:42AM.
    - Sim arrived on Tuesday 22 October.
    - Sim not activating.
    - Contacted support on Thursday 24th and had to order a replacement sim.
    - Sim started working few hours later.
    - Contacted support again to cancel sim replacement.
    - Port occurred on Friday 25 October at 12 PM, took 5 minutes.
    - Good reception, all works, Happy.
    - Sim replacement went ahead on Sunday at 1PM anyway.
    - Service deactivated.
    - Still waiting on replacement sim.

So I now have no phone service with GoMo and no idea as to when I will receive my replacement sim.
    Had to get a temporary sim from Vodafone to get me by.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Drumpot wrote: »
    Anybody any feedback on this?

Thinking of buying two sims and replacing what is effectively the same service with three for 35e?!!
    Going back to the days of dial up your experience depends on which network has spent the most recently on infrastructure in your area.

Dual sim phone and using your old SIM for voice only ?

It's a Ryanair service so no frills. 30 day contract means you can port out to a different operator anytime for the loss of up to a tenner if you don't want to wait for or endure poor customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Is it just me or is the thread on boards for FAQ GoMo down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

80GB isn’t very much to replace fixed line BB, streaming Netflix, Spotify and general browsing on a laptop, tablet or smartTV wouldn’t be long about using up that allowance.
    You can get another 80Gb for a tenner more with a second SIM in an old phone you probably have lying in a drawer.

On a dual SIM phone to change the SIM used for data, it's unlock, slide , *tap*, done.

Virgin are upping prices again. So the guts of €60 come January.
    If speed and swapping SIMs isn't an issue you could get 480GB for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Going back to the days of dial up your experience depends on which network has spent the most recently on infrastructure in your area.

Dual sim phone and using your old SIM for voice only ?

It's a Ryanair service so no frills. 30 day contract means you can port out to a different operator anytime for the loss of up to a tenner if you don't want to wait for or endure poor customer service.
    They're all becoming Ryanair, you should try getting to talk to a human with vf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement