Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Not all roads are wide enough to put in a cycle path, and have space for 2 car lanes which are going in both directions .
    I think councils do traffic survey,s to check how much traffic is on a road before they install a cycle lane .
    Most cycle paths are in urban area,s on roads that are busy where
    theres plenty of people using bikes to commute .

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In fairness, all cyclists are Nazis.
    I did nazi that one coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

riclad wrote: »
    Not all roads are wide enough to put in a cycle path, and have space for 2 car lanes which are going in both directions .
    I think councils do traffic survey,s to check how much traffic is on a road before they install a cycle lane .
    Most cycle paths are in urban area,s on roads that are busy where
    theres plenty of people using bikes to commute .

That is indeed true, such as portions of North Circular Road and the like. What would be the ideal solution to that problem?

Ding ding ding ! Make the road one-way for cars and build a two-way bike path on the side !

It will cause the car traffic to use other roads, which will also be clogged with traffic but now at least they have the OPTION to bike safely instead.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

machaseh wrote: »
    That is indeed true, such as portions of North Circular Road and the like. What would be the ideal solution to that problem?

Ding ding ding ! Make the road one-way for cars and build a two-way bike path on the side !

It will cause the car traffic to use other roads, which will also be clogged with traffic but now at least they have the OPTION to bike safely instead.
    also, more people might see those lanes and think that it might be an idea to get a bike and use them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

machaseh wrote: »
    At the time, motor traffic wasn't nearly as common as it is now and most roads would be predominantly used by cyclists, pedestrians and maybe the odd motorized car here and there, the odd horse and carriage here and there, and the old horse-powered trams.

Once motor traffic increased (mostly AFTER WWII), the government invested heavily in building bike infrastructure, as the many cyclists were being killed by the increasing motor traffic.

We've always been cycling a lot since the existence of bikes.
    Irish people traditionally cycled a lot too. A few generations ago it was the main mode of transport and people from all over the country would cycle to Dublin for the matches, etc. People have just forgotten and the car was pushed as a status symbol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    also, more people might see those lanes and think that it might be an idea to get a bike and use them

Yup. I also find myself often not biking because I find it quite dangerous. I now only use it within the city center and for locations slightly out where public transportation from my home just takes way too long, take places such as fairview and the like.

However I do sometimes bike to howth as that is one of the few destinations where you can use the free bike path safely. Even for howth though, I have to navigate crazy road traffic for the first 20 minutes until I reach said bike path.

Advertisement