Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Just like Millwall, no one likes us we don't care!

That's the attitude that'll get the public on board with more infrastructural and legal and financial support for cycling and cyclists monky old pal, good on yiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There is your problem, green at a pedestrian
    light does not mean you can walk across the road. It means you may cross the road if it is safe to do so. You are still meant to look and check traffic has stopped.

So a cyclist breaks a red right and goes through a pedestrian crossing, and you are blaming the pedestrian for being there?

No wonder people hate cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That's the attitude that'll get the public on board with more infrastructural and legal and financial support for cycling and cyclists monky old pal, good on yiz.

I've been commuting for 20 years in sh*tty conditions, I don't think anything will change for the good regarding cycling before I retire to warmer climes, so IDGAF really!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Christ, you people. Is there a style guide of pedantry, condescension and obnoxiousness handed out at meetings or does it just come naturally?

Pedestrian light goes green. Traffic stopped. Start to cross while safe to do so and here comes Johnny Cyclist who apparently has no responsibility to even check it's safe to break a red from three cars back, blam into me.

While we're at it could you explain to me how I'm at fault when a cyclist hits me or nearly hits me from behind or flying around a corner on a footpath?

Or am I just lying about that one because cyclists can't apparently be wrong.

All correct.

What gets me AS A PEDESTRIAN is that I am 1000 times more at danger from cars breaking green pedestrian lights than from bikes doing same; yet all the vitriol is about the cyclists that do it.

Lets all get angry about hypothetical dangers, and things that 'nearly happened to someone I know' and ignore the danger that is real and happening with regularity.

You just don't like cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Christ, you people. Is there a style guide of pedantry, condescension and obnoxiousness handed out at meetings or does it just come naturally?

Pedestrian light goes green. Traffic stopped. Start to cross while safe to do so and here comes Johnny Cyclist who apparently has no responsibility to even check it's safe to break a red from three cars back, blam into me.

While we're at it could you explain to me how I'm at fault when a cyclist hits me or nearly hits me from behind or flying around a corner on a footpath?

Or am I just lying about that one because cyclists can't apparently be wrong.

You said what you said which indicated you weren't using the lights correctly. Given I am also a pedestrian and lived in Dublin all my life and not once hit or nearly hit by a bicycle it stands to reason the common factor in your claims is YOU!
    You could of course be exaggerating about what happens. I simply haven't seen anything close to you claims. Either you live in another dimension to me where the world is as you describe or you don't and your claims go directly against my own experience.
    Given how you described what a pedestrian green light means to you it sounds like you have notions of what should happen. Stating a different situation now to what you already said doesn't sound believable.
    The reason you feel people are condescending and obnoxious to you is your own doing. You are aggressively spouting your version of reality that doesn't match others personal experience. I feel I had to explain all of this to you because you seem to not be able to comprehend what is being said.

To be clear I don't believe you and don't speak for everyone who cycles so cannot answer questions for all cyclists. I can however respond directly to what you have said, it is unbelievable from my own direct observations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

The only thing that bothers me about cyclists is when they ride parallel to each other on busy main roads having a chat not aware of their surroundings esp on blind bends or hills.

So a cyclist breaks a red right and goes through a pedestrian crossing, and you are blaming the pedestrian for being there?

Not what I said. You don't walk the minute the lights go green and you are meant to look and stay observant while crossing.
    A cyclist going through pedestrian lights while they are green to walk does not mean they have broken the light hence the instructions to look for pedestrians.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I watched this for 17 seconds for the first cyclists to appear, they went through the pedestrian crossing while pedestrians had a green light.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ireland/leinster/dublin/dublin-o-connell-street.html

On the flip side, I seen about 3425356 pedestrians crossing the road into oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

We've poor investment in cycling infrastructure, as shown by budget 2020. And then cyclists have to put up with discrimination and aggression from all sorts of people. And I've recently paid for a respro techno mask as I don't want to breathe in fumes on my commute anymore. We all don't break lights, I certainly don't. Even as a woman who I overtook twice this week went past me through red lights. #notallcyclists

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I watched this for 17 seconds for the first cyclists to appear, they went through the pedestrian crossing while pedestrians had a green light.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ireland/leinster/dublin/dublin-o-connell-street.html

On the flip side, I seen about 3425356 pedestrians crossing the road into oncoming traffic.

Now there's some pr*ck on an e-scooter just stopped in the pedestrian crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    All correct.

What gets me AS A PEDESTRIAN is that I am 1000 times more at danger from cars breaking green pedestrian lights than from bikes doing same; yet all the vitriol is about the cyclists that do it.

Lets all get angry about hypothetical dangers, and things that 'nearly happened to someone I know' and ignore the danger that is real and happening with regularity.

You just don't like cyclists.

Well it's kind of like the way I'm more concerned about getting hit by a car than hit by a rampaging horde of elephants, even though the latter would be far more dangerous. More concerned about melanoma than multiple sclerosis. Etc.

Trust me I get pissed off at cars breaking red lights too.

I don't like inconsiderate pricks is what I don't like, parse that to I don't like cyclists if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If someone is constantly getting into car accidents. Do you hate all drivers?

Would not wonder why is happening to the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

beauf wrote: »
    If someone is constantly getting into car accidents. Do you hate all drivers?

Would not wonder why is happening to the same person.

If somebody is constantly getting into accidents, and it is clear they are causing them (i.e. breaking red lights), then I would say people who are defending them are idiots.

There are awful drivers and awful cyclists, along with awful pedestrians. Some of the attitudes in this thread towards cyclists and from cyclists are shocking. And the people with these attitudes don't seem to realise they are turning the other side against them even more due to their attitudes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There are a number of possibilities. One of which is they could be just unlucky. While unlikely is still a perfectly valid possibility.

Some of the attitudes in this thread towards cyclists and from cyclists are shocking. And the people with these attitudes don't seem to realise they are turning the other side against them even more due to their attitudes

A big thing to notice is the cyclist haters often talk about physically attacking and injury cyclists. The motor vehicles haters are asking not to be killed and put in danger.

They are hugely different issues and if you think the side that wish injury and suggest endangering people are equal I think you have lost all sense of proportion.

They aren't equal and because cyclists are the minority the violent suggestions are taken by some as acceptable there is a very real danger.

I have seen people attack cyclists for pure amusement and also over anger. This is a very real issue on top of just bad road behaviour.

Well it's kind of like the way I'm more concerned about getting hit by a car than hit by a rampaging horde of elephants, even though the latter would be far more dangerous. More concerned about melanoma than multiple sclerosis. Etc.

Trust me I get pissed off at cars breaking red lights too.

I don't like inconsiderate pricks is what I don't like, parse that to I don't like cyclists if you want.

Charming.

And you think cyclists are offensive in an online capacity.

If somebody is constantly getting into accidents, and it is clear they are causing them (i.e. breaking red lights), then I would say people who are defending them are idiots.

There are awful drivers and awful cyclists, along with awful pedestrians. Some of the attitudes in this thread towards cyclists and from cyclists are shocking. And the people with these attitudes don't seem to realise they are turning the other side against them even more due to their attitudes

Like Thelonious Monk said earlier - you reach a stage where you are so disenfranchised that you just don't GAF any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

raclle wrote: »
    The only thing that bothers me about cyclists is when they ride parallel to each other on busy main roads having a chat not aware of their surroundings esp on blind bends or hills.

This is infuriating as a cyclist too. Generally going at **** all speed too so I get stuck behind them because it’s unsafe to overtake given the traffic.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Could you just clarify - are you saying you would overtake a group of cyclists in single file on a blind bend, but would not overtake if they were cycling 2 abreast?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Basil3 wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. As a motorcyclist, I have the benefit of being able to pull up alongside erratic drivers. Virtually every time they are on their phone, although I have had occasions where they are reading a document or looking at an old paper map.

The look on their face when they think it's a Garda bike beside them is priceless. I doubt it does anything to change their habits, though.

+1 on this, motorcyclist, cyclist and motorist myself and when Im on the M50 on the motorbike at rush hour Im often filtering up between two rows of slow moving traffic and easily one in three motorists are on their phone. This results in low speed fender benders and then the cars stop to exchange details and you've got an even bigger traffic jam.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Could you just clarify - are you saying you would overtake a group of cyclists in single file on a blind bend, but would not overtake if they were cycling 2 abreast?
    Now you're putting words in my mouth! I'm talking about when they're on the other side of a hill or around a bend unseen and the driver behind barely has time to react.

Now you're putting words in my mouth! I'm talking about when they're on the other side of a hill or around a bend unseen and the driver behind barely has time to react.

oh no you didn't! wait for it.......wait for it.......

tenor.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

82d88f9feeefa8a5525b67346e84b2cce03d4f02.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

That sounds like you're describing someone who is driving dangerously.

The poor aul driver wha'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

That driver should not be behind the wheel if he cannot stop in the road that he can see ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

The idea is tho - two abreast requires the same overtaking space as a single cyclist.

Assuming that people stick to that (i.e. giving enough space to overtake) then If there is a group of riders then its a lot quick to overtake if riding in pairs (as total length is shorter).
    i.e. 6 cyclists in a row ~ length of a bus, 6 in pair formation ~ estate car length.

There shouldn't be a situation where one is driving quickly on a road and cannot see far enough to stop (whether this is for a pair of cyclists, a single cyclist, a slow moving tractor, cow, random person walking across the road, broken down car etc) - so there should be no surprises - good driving in my mind is eliminating the chance of surprise as much as possible (although the definition of surprise is, well, surprise!)

However, sometimes it seems some people who are cycling could be a bit more observant of what is behind and break down a group into smaller groups or single out a bit to allow a building Q of cars to pass (especially if out on a leisure cycle)

What I see more and more is a chicken and egg situation developing where people driving dangerously closer and closer to cyclists are putting the fear into them and they are more robustly sticking to pair cycling in all conditions, regardless of speed etc to remain in protection mode. Both these behaviours can cause aggravation (slow cyclists now allowing traffic, and aggressive driver misjudging or close passing a cyclist).

As the roads are getting busier with increases in population, everyone needs to cop on a bit more, but it seems we are trending towards more insular, selfish behaviour :/

donvito99 wrote: »
    That driver should not be behind the wheel if he cannot stop in the road that he can see ahead

giphy.gif

Has anyone not driven on these twisty narrow main roads in the south? You'll know then what i'm talking about. There's no room for overtaking unless there's a clear stretch of road so you could be sitting behind someone for ages whether single or abreast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Has anyone not driven on these twisty narrow main roads in the south? You'll know then what i'm talking about. There's no room for overtaking unless there's a clear stretch of road so you could be sitting behind someone for ages whether single or abreast.

So what’s the problem with them cycling 2 abreast?

Advertisement