Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

raclle wrote: »
    Has anyone not driven on these twisty narrow main roads in the south? You'll know then what i'm talking about. There's no room for overtaking unless there's a clear stretch of road so you could be sitting behind someone for ages whether single or abreast.

Its true - I guess if you give us a shout when you want to go somewhere, then everyone can get off the roads you want to use and you wont need to overtake anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When someone hit's him some day then he'll wish he had been using the cycle lane.
    When someone rapes her some day, she'll wish she had be wearing drab clothes and not looking sexy. When someone stabs him some day, he'll wish he had been wearing a stab vest.

What is so irresistible about victim-blaming when it comes to cyclists?

That's the attitude that'll get the public on board with more infrastructural and legal and financial support for cycling and cyclists monky old pal, good on yiz.

If somebody is constantly getting into accidents, and it is clear they are causing them (i.e. breaking red lights), then I would say people who are defending them are idiots.

There are awful drivers and awful cyclists, along with awful pedestrians. Some of the attitudes in this thread towards cyclists and from cyclists are shocking. And the people with these attitudes don't seem to realise they are turning the other side against them even more due to their attitudes
    Remind me again how 'attitudes' worked out for the water charge protesters and the repeal campaign? Remember all those tone police telling all the obstreperous young repeal women that they just had to be nicer to people to get their way and get public support?

So what’s the problem with them cycling 2 abreast?
    They take up all the space apparently;

492876.jpg

Maybe someone could remind Racile that driving blindly around a blind bend is not a great idea, and is actually illegal, given the legal requirement to drive in a manner that allows you to stop within the distance you can see to be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Lads I think you've missed my point entirely :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think most people have forgotten this is after hours.
    ..you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Don,t wear a helmet because it,s uncomfortable ,
    it would be better if more people cycled to work,
    less noise, less pollution, less traffic .

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Has anyone not driven on these twisty narrow main roads in the south? You'll know then what i'm talking about. There's no room for overtaking unless there's a clear stretch of road so you could be sitting behind someone for ages whether single or abreast.

Sounds like you should be getting on to your local councillors and campaigning to get cycle paths put on those roads to make life better for both people in bikes and people in cars.

And when I say cycle paths I mean proper dutch style infrastructure, not the start stop start stop painted line rubbish we usually see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Duckjob wrote: »
    Sounds like you should be getting on to your local councillors and campaigning to get cycle paths put on those roads to make life better for both people in bikes and people in cars.

Yeah that usually gets things solved quickly :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Well it's kind of like the way I'm more concerned about getting hit by a car than hit by a rampaging horde of elephants, even though the latter would be far more dangerous. More concerned about melanoma than multiple sclerosis. Etc.

Trust me I get pissed off at cars breaking red lights too.

I don't like inconsiderate pricks is what I don't like, parse that to I don't like cyclists if you want.

Well if your issue is inconsiderate pricks then start giving out about inconsiderate pricks.

There are arseholes who cycle, just as there are arsehole drivers and arsehole pedestrians.

I could whinge in response to this, but the thing is that I talk about drivers the same way that you talk about cyclists. So I really cant complain too much.

I will maintain however, that an arsehole in a car is a lot more dangerous than on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yeah that usually gets things solved quickly :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want.

It would still be more constructive than taking out frustrations on people whose fault it isn't.

Roll your eyes all you want.

If more people applied pressure to change things instead of taking out their frustrations on people whose fault it isn't, things might improve more quickly for everyone.

Its a fair point.

If people could go out on one protest cycle or write one letter to a councillor for say every 100 social media comments complaining about cycling infrastructure.....

Politicians respond to the electorate, that's a matter of fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Why don't I wear a helmet?

I am Dutch. I have been biking since I could walk. I used to bike every single day, sometimes 60 kms or more, sometimes just shorter distances. In cities and on country roads. We are basically biking from the moment we can walk until the moment we are elderly and in a wheelchair. Whether you're a millionaire or on the dole, you bike.

Get yer bike paths in order lads. This godforsaken island is an absolute disgrace.

machaseh wrote: »
    Why don't I wear a helmet?

I am Dutch. I have been biking since I could walk. I used to bike every single day, sometimes 60 kms or more, sometimes just shorter distances. In cities and on country roads. We are basically biking from the moment we can walk until the moment we are elderly and in a wheelchair. Whether you're a millionaire or on the dole, you bike.

Get yer bike paths in order lads. This godforsaken island is an absolute disgrace.

Hey- only Irish people are allowed say that:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Hey- only Irish people are allowed say that:D:D:D:D

The Dutch are practically Irish sure

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The Dutch are practically Irish sure

Really? Have the endured the same misery?

Crap infrastructure is in keeping with the Irish psyche of making sure this stay miserable for as long as possible....

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Really? Have the endured the same misery?

Ah we have another sobbing lad who is only whining about what was done to them in the past. Look at the future and stop using the British colonialism on your island centuries ago as an excuse for why your country is basically one big kip man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We are nothing like the Dutch. They endured all kinds of atrocities during WW2 but dont moan about it they just get on with things. Ireland loves to wallow in self pity for some reason.

OK

This looks like a no-win conversation for me.

I was joking Machesah. I didn't set out to offend anyone.

All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

giphy.gif

machaseh wrote: »
    Ah we have another sobbing lad who is only whining about what was done to them in the past. Look at the future and stop using the British colonialism on your island centuries ago as an excuse for why your country is basically one big kip man.

And that right there is why you should wear helmets, people.

Few too many head knocks on that one :pac:

We are nothing like the Dutch. They endured all kinds of atrocities during WW2 but dont moan about it they just get on with things. Ireland loves to wallow in self pity for some reason.

My dutch grandparents suffered German occupation and what we call the Famine Winter, which was the last winter before liberation. They would have to eat famine foods that are hardly edible, such as flower bulbs or agricultural waste from beets and the like, enduring minus 20 weather ( not uncommon at this time before global warming) and heavy snow.

My province where I am from was completely flooded due to a storm in 1953, causing 1000s of casualties and many hundreds thousand losing their home and their land. Entire families of 12 children were swept away by the waves.

Yet we rebuilt everything and aren't remotely as whiny as the Irish about all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Well this thread has taken a turn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Like they just got on with it in Indonesia. Not very tolerant to massacre a people who wanted Independence from Dutch control.

They dont go on about WW2 because they had their fair share of Nazi collaborators.

Best not shine too bright a light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

And when I say cycle paths I mean proper dutch style infrastructure, not the start stop start stop painted line rubbish we usually see here.
    They cant even fix the roads we have never mind cycle paths.

Anyway my original point wasn't for me as a motorist but the broader picture as in how unsafe it is for cyclists in those circumstances but also for motorists incase of emergencies.

Your Face wrote: »
    Like they just got on with it in Indonesia. Not very tolerant to massacre a people who wanted Independence from Dutch control.

They dont go on about WW2 because they had their fair share of Nazi collaborators.

Best not shine too bright a light.

Rumour has it the Dutch maintained the bicycles and cycle lanes for the Nazi's during the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Rumour has it the Dutch maintained the bicycles and cycle lanes for the Nazi's during the war.

Right. That does it.

I propose at an overly elaborate and ill-thought-out plan to invade.

We'll show these Chinese, I mean Dutch, how we play rugger this side of the cricket fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

In fairness, all cyclists are Nazis.

• Advertisement

At the time, motor traffic wasn't nearly as common as it is now and most roads would be predominantly used by cyclists, pedestrians and maybe the odd motorized car here and there, the odd horse and carriage here and there, and the old horse-powered trams.

Once motor traffic increased (mostly AFTER WWII), the government invested heavily in building bike infrastructure, as the many cyclists were being killed by the increasing motor traffic.

We've always been cycling a lot since the existence of bikes.

Advertisement