Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Achasanai wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I was talking more of mounting the curb to cycle on the footpath.
    Sorry if I was snappy, and yeah, I do see cyclists on the footpath too. It's often a good indicator of pretty bad road/driving conditions, where people have literally been scared off the road.

And let's not give drivers a free pass when it comes to pavements. Those cars, vans and trucks that we on pavements all the time are not dropped in by helicopter. They drive there.

https://twitter.com/search?f=images&vertical=default&q=%23makewayday&src=typd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Sorry if I was snappy, and yeah, I do see cyclists on the footpath too.

I had one of those cross my path, it that it was all rather sudden and by the time I’d reached up to feel what all the commotion was he was a good 30 yards ahead of me leering back twirling my merino knit it on his finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Sorry if I was snappy, and yeah, I do see cyclists on the footpath too. It's often a good indicator of pretty bad road/driving conditions, where people have literally been scared off the road.

And let's not give drivers a free pass when it comes to pavements. Those cars, vans and trucks that we on pavements all the time are not dropped in by helicopter. They drive there.

https://twitter.com/search?f=images&vertical=default&q=%23makewayday&src=typd

Oh I absolutely agree re parking on the curb: I see it often and it is very annoying (and more than just annoying for someone in a wheelchair/with a buggy/on a busy road), but I used 'mounting the curb' as shorthand for cycling on the footpath.

I agree too, that I see instances of cyclists mounting the curb due to bad road design/protecting themselves from bad driving but, like with 'breaking' red lights on a pedestrian green, I think cyclists should use excessive caution while doing so (I speak as an occasional cyclist myself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Are you for real? Seriously, are you for real?

Cars can't break lights on Dawson St or Nassau St?

Doyle's Corner in Phibsborough is another 'good' one. Absolute bedlam during rush hour, cars inching along, but you will often find four or five cars breaking the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Are you for real? Seriously, are you for real?

Cars can't break lights on Dawson St or Nassau St? Would you like me to hang out there some mornings and share the video results with you, showing how one or two or three or four drivers push through on the amber and red lights with every change of lights?

Would you like me to spend some time on Leeson St bridge and show you the number of drivers that break the lights to block the pedestrian/cycle crossing? And yes, you're right that traffic is gridlocked, so it doesn't get them anywhere or save them any time. It just gets them to the back of the next queue of cars a few seconds earlier. But that doesn't stop them driving through red lights, or 'getting stuck' when the green light changes to amber or red (which strangely enough, seems to come as a big surprise to many drivers, as if they've never seen a green light go amber/red before).

The findings from the Luas Red Light camera on Benburb St show that you're talking through your hat Hatrick.

http://kerrycyclingcampaign.org/but-all-drivers-break-the-lights/

88% of red light jumpers at the Luas junction at Benburb St, in the heart of the city, were motorists, not cyclists.

So yes, your question about why you have a clear and obvious personal bias against cyclists is an interesting question. Maybe you'd like to do some introspection on that.

Do cars outnumber cyclists 6:1 ?
    I'd say the ratio is higher.

Therefore an individual cyclist is actually more likely to break a red than a motorist.

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »

Therefore an individual cyclist is actually more likely to break a red than a motorist.

Why is the ratio relevant? If you want to improve safety, do you focus on 88% of the problem or 12% of the problem? Do you focus on the 1-5 tonne vehicles doing 20-120 kmph or the 10 kg vehicles doing 10-20 kmph?

But if you do want to look at ratios, bring in the fact that four out of five drivers break speed limits and the majority of drivers use their phones while driving, and let me know how your ratios are looking.

Anyone else have close calls with those delivery bike guys?

I really don't want to get mown down by a Brazilian because some fat cnut was too lazy to cook dinner for himself.
    When Deliveroo started out, I used to see their cyclists without lights fairly regularly. I haven't noticed that much recently.

I suppose we can be fairly sure that no-one got mowed down by a delivery bike cyclists, given that it hasn't come up in the news or the media.

It looks like it is far more likely that Brazilian cyclists get mowed down or assaulted than they would mow down someone else;

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/married-life-only-started-two-months-ago-newlywed-critically-injured-in-bicycle-tragedy-36981805.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/they-beat-me-with-a-baseball-bat-deliveroo-man-leaves-ireland-following-vicious-assault-37843054.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

So you're a bit of a bully then? So brave when behind the wheel or behind the keyboard?
    S
    Some innocent motorist gets done for dangerous driving because he knocks down some **** of a cyclist in the dark thats not wearing hi vizor has or has no lights on the bike. A little reminder does them no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Yes that's expected as you've proven yourself to be a total f*cking arsehole in many threads already

Have you no trees to be hugging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'm much more annoyed these days with YouTube peddling ads constantly..... It's really really getting to me...
    They're trying to push people into paying for the premium no ads service. There will come a time when you have to pay for Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Edgware wrote: »
    Have you no trees to be hugging?

There's very few left to hug with the amount of cars being wrapped around them in my area week in week out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

donvito99 wrote: »
    There's very few left to hug with the amount of cars being wrapped around them in my area week in week out

I hear Dublin connects wants to rip up whats left of them so they can put in an extra lane of motor vehicles.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I hear Dublin connects wants to rip up whats left of them so they can put in an extra lane of motor vehicles.

They're ripping up trees to maintain the status quo for motorists.

Edgware wrote: »
    S
    Some innocent motorist gets done for dangerous driving because he knocks down some **** of a cyclist in the dark thats not wearing hi vizor has or has no lights on the bike. A little reminder does them no harm
    There's no legal requirement to wear hi-vis. If you need people to wear special industrial clothing on the road to be able to see them, maybe driving is not for you. What's the betting that you're driving a black or navy car around complaining about cyclists not having hi-vis?

And has your scenario ever happened - a driver getting done for dangerous driving because he knocks over a cyclist?

Usually it's the other way round - where a driver knocks over and kills a cyclist with lights and hi-vis, but still manages to walk away without jail;

https://www.thejournal.ie/bus-driver-cyclist-death-4335560-Nov2018/

Or the driver who drives blindly over a cyclist in daylight killing them, because 'the sun blinded them' and they still manage to walk away from jail

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/driver-cyclist-ed-duggan-sun-blinded/

But please do share details of these poor drivers getting convicted?

If you want to remind people of something, have the guts to do it face to face, adult to adult. Stop hiding behind your windscreen bullying people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No, they outnumber cyclists by just 4:1 in the city centre according to the most recent canal cordon count (which Benburb Street falls within). They do get allocated space multiples of that and kill several orders of magnitude more. At Benburb Street, they outnumbered cyclists 7.3:1 when it came to breaking red lights.

I hope this helps.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/publications/statistics/reports/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It's always funny to see people who drive around with an empty couch and an empty armchair all day complaining about cyclists taking up the all the space. Car occupancy rates in Dublin are around 1.2 people.

Have you given much thought to what happens to traffic when the 56k commuting cyclists switch back to their cars instead?

492876.jpg

Lot of people would be liking taxis, buses etc to have that much room as 2 arm chairs and a 3 seater sofa, pure cyclist mis-representation as usual.

Why is the ratio relevant? If you want to improve safety, do you focus on 88% of the problem or 12% of the problem? Do you focus on the 1-5 tonne vehicles doing 20-120 kmph or the 10 kg vehicles doing 10-20 kmph?

But if you do want to look at ratios, bring in the fact that four out of five drivers break speed limits and the majority of drivers use their phones while driving, and let me know how your ratios are looking.

I had a cyclist once run three red lights when I was nearby.
    If you want to talk safety, it's that cyclist who will come to grief. Not the motorist. Was right outside a hospital too. At the 4th light I had to give him a bollocking.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Lot of people would be liking taxis, buses etc to have that much room as 2 arm chairs and a 3 seater sofa, pure cyclist mis-representation as usual.

Would this be a more accurate representation?

EFnUR2_WoAA9K79.jpg

I had a cyclist once run three red lights when I was nearby.
    If you want to talk safety, it's that cyclist who will come to grief. Not the motorist. Was right outside a hospital too. At the 4th light I had to give him a bollocking.
    The road death figures suggest that you're wrong. An awful lot more motorists come to grief than cyclists.

I recently had a taxi driver using his phone seven times in five minutes. He got a fixed charge penalty notice for it in recent weeks, so we'll see whether he pays up or goes to Court where we can all watch the video of him with the phone in his hand.

But we can swap anecdotes till the cows come home if you like. It is motorists that kill and maim on the road.

The road death figures suggest that you're wrong. An awful lot more motorists come to grief than cyclists.

I recently had a taxi driver using his phone seven times in five minutes. He got a fixed charge penalty notice for it in recent weeks, so we'll see whether he pays up or goes to Court where we can all watch the video of him with the phone in his hand.

But we can swap anecdotes till the cows come home if you like. It is motorists that kill and maim on the road.

From breaking red lights ? Or is the argument being expanded?

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Who cares. Fact is your observations do not mirror factual studies.

Except for the Trinity study that found 98% of cyclists ignore some specified red lights and 60% do so on average of other redlights

https://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles/60-of-dublins-cyclists-run-red-lights/

From breaking red lights ? Or is the argument being expanded?
    Yes, it's been expanded for quite some time now, if you read the discussions.

Once people noticed that the evidence shows clearly that motorists are the real danger on the road, it expanded fairly swiftly.

If you have any real interest in safety on the road, you'd presumably be happy enough with focusing on what the evidence reveals?

There's no legal requirement to wear hi-vis. If you need people to wear special industrial clothing on the road to be able to see them, maybe driving is not for you. What's the betting that you're driving a black or navy car around complaining about cyclists not having hi-vis?

And has your scenario ever happened - a driver getting done for dangerous driving because he knocks over a cyclist?

Usually it's the other way round - where a driver knocks over and kills a cyclist with lights and hi-vis, but still manages to walk away without jail;

Or the driver who drives blindly over a cyclist in daylight killing them, because 'the sun blinded them' and they still manage to walk away from jail

If you want to remind people of something, have the guts to do it face to face, adult to adult. Stop hiding behind your windscreen bullying people.

The first article quoted the driver was convicted, just because they don't have hanging anymore doesn't mean they aren't convicted.

The first article quoted the driver was convicted, just because they don't have hanging anymore doesn't mean they aren't convicted.
    I didn't say anything about whether he was convicted or not. He drove his bus over a lady cycling with hi-vis and lights, killing her. He got a suspended sentence.

Is there any other way of killing someone that will avoid jail time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Except for the Trinity study that found 98% of cyclists ignore some specified red lights and 60% do so on average of other redlights

https://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles/60-of-dublins-cyclists-run-red-lights/

That's another commentary suggesting it's a safety issue with no facts to back assertion up.

https://youtu.be/Brh9Dv_5NaA

Would this be a more accurate representation?

EFnUR2_WoAA9K79.jpg

Not really, seeing as a bus would be around 2.5 meters in width and the majority of cars under 2.0 meters, again with the misrepresentation by you running an anti car/public transport agenda

Not really, seeing as a bus would be around 2.5 meters in width and the majority of cars under 2.0 meters, again with the misrepresentation by you running an anti car/public transport agenda

That image perfectly illustrates the situation in Dublin, loads of lanes for cars to make it easier for them to navigate and park, meanwhile only one parallel bus lane carries 9x what one normal lane full of cars does (this is the case on Inns Quay last I read).

beauf wrote: »
    That's another commentary suggesting it's a safety issue with no facts to back assertion up.

https://youtu.be/Brh9Dv_5NaA

You said there was no factual evidence or reports to back up a posters opinion, I say there is and you produce a French YouTube link.

Do you still dispute that posters view of cyclists breaking redlights as often as he thinks they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Using Dublin roads for people to coommute by car is a an enormous waste, If they introduced congestion charge like they do in the port tunnel to cross the canals , commuting times would decrease substantially.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/cities-going-car-free-ban-2018-12?r=US&IR=T#in-paris-the-first-sunday-of-every-month-is-free-of-cars-2

• Advertisement

I didn't say anything about whether he was convicted or not. He drove his bus over a lady cycling with hi-vis and lights, killing her. He got a suspended sentence.

Is there any other way of killing someone that will avoid jail time?

Didn't you, looks to me that is what you said. Many times drivers are charged with careless or dangerous driving just because on conviction they don't have capital punishment doesn't mean they aren't convicted.

Advertisement