Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists

Options

Comments

I had a cyclist tell me to f**k off the other morning on the Naas Road when i shouted at him to use the provided cycle lane instead of holding up traffic. Make up your minds lads. You either want cycle lanes or you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I had a cyclist tell me to f**k off the other morning on the Naas Road when i shouted at him to use the provided cycle lane instead of holding up traffic. Make up your minds lads. You either want cycle lanes or you don't.

#1 There can be valid reasons not to use a cycle lane.

#2 The cyclist is also traffic.

#3 Vigilante shouting to get a response, well you got one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'd have told you same.

He was cycling the same route as me as he passed me on my turn off to my workplace. That stretch of cycle lane is there to keep bicycles off the Naas Road. He should have been using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

beauf wrote: »
    #1 There can be valid reasons not to use a cycle lane.

#2 The cyclist is also traffic.

#3 Vigilante shouting to get a response, well you got one...

Mistake number one - expecting him to listen to reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Good. Frustrated motorists shouting and stuck in traffic while we whizz around on our bikes brings sunshine and smiles to our lives.

Wasn't frustrated at all. Takes me ten minutes to drive to work in my nice cozy car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

:rolleyes:
    He was cycling the same route as me as he passed me on my turn off to my workplace. That stretch of cycle lane is there to keep bicycles off the Naas Road. He should have been using it.

Ever cycle on that cycle track? If not, then you probably should and then maybe you will have an idea why he was on the road.

Wasn't frustrated at all. Takes me ten minutes to drive to work in my nice cozy car.

Ah so "normal" driving for you, usually involves you shouting at people. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ah yeah, shouting at someone on a bike because you think you know the rules of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Personally cyclists don't bother me. Where i live i get plenty as it is on a "route" they take. Generally i find if you are respectful when driving to other cyclists they'll be the same back. I often get thumbs up for said respectful driving.

Back when i was a tosser i used to hate the fcukers but i have long since grown up

When someone hit's him some day then he'll wish he had been using the cycle lane.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When someone hit's him some day then he'll wish he had been using the cycle lane.
    So when he's hit by a car, it's his fault?

...Didn't take long to move to road rage... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Why would anyone hit him?

Not everyone is as poor a driver as you appear to be.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

When a driver hits a tree its the trees fault.

It might be. Just because a cyclist gets hit by a car does not make it immediately the motorists fault.

When someone puts a ulock through your windscreen you might stop shouting at innocent cyclists

It might be. Just because a cyclist gets hit by a car does not make it immediately the motorists fault.

You mean if there is a cycle lane it doesn't mean you have to be in it?

You said when someone hits him. So in your scenario, he is being hit, not the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I could rant at great length about bad driver behaviour and how crap cycling infrastructure is, but as someone who doesn't drive at all and rarely cycles, as a group cyclists are a far bigger pain in my hole and as an online group slightly more obnoxious though yiz give each other a good run I'll say that.

Yes obviously a car would do more damage if it hit me, but you know what, I've never been hit by a car. I have been hit, three times, by cyclists firing across a pedestrian crossing on a red light or flying down a footpath. Could triple that figure at least if I hadn't been able to jump out of the way.

Gwan google away give me the 2016 figures for the people who get hit at pedestrian crossings by bikes and how they compare to drunk driving collisions or what. Ever. The fcuk. I don't care, nobody cares.

You said when someone hits him. So in your scenario, he is being hit, not the car.

Ah here. And you're a mod. Go away outta that.

If there's a collision between a bike and a car you can't say it's automatically the car's fault no matter what way i worded my sentence. Cop on !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If there's a collision between a bike and a car you can't say it's automatically the car's fault no matter what way i worded my sentence. Cop on !!

Better you keep the rage on here I suppose than out on the road.

Me being a mod has nothing to do with anything here.

You are totally correct, every accident/incident between anyone has different sources of fault.
    But in your case, shouting at a cyclist for doing nothing wrong in this case means you should take a reflective look at your actions.

Cyclists are dicks, motorists are dicks. I'm both, so I'm a double dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I could rant at great length about bad driver behaviour and how crap cycling infrastructure is, but as someone who doesn't drive at all and rarely cycles, as a group cyclists are a far bigger pain in my hole and as an online group slightly more obnoxious though yiz give each other a good run I'll say that.

Yes obviously a car would do more damage if it hit me, but you know what, I've never been hit by a car. I have been hit, three times, by cyclists firing across a pedestrian crossing on a red light or flying down a footpath. Could triple that figure at least if I hadn't been able to jump out of the way.

Gwan google away give me the 2016 figures for the people who get hit at pedestrian crossings by bikes and how they compare to drunk driving collisions or what. Ever. The fcuk. I don't care, nobody cares.
    If you've been knocked down by cyclists 3 times and are jumping out of the way multiple other times you're either a liar or someone who needs a carer/guide dog to help you when you're out of the house because theres honestly something badly wrong with you.

Thargor wrote: »
    If you've been knocked down by cyclists 3 times and are jumping out of the way multiple other times you're either a liar or someone who needs a carer/guide dog to help you when you're out of the house because theres honestly something badly wrong with you.

Nope just someone who walks in cities a lot and once had this mad idea that when I have a green light on a pedestrian crossing I can walk across and not have to expect a cyclist to barrel through.

Though yes admittedly I haven't been hit since I started assuming cyclists will just go wherever they want regardless of red lights, signage or anything else. Two wheels good, two feet go fcuk yourself, message received.

See that's that cyclist attitude that has ye so universally loved.

Nope just someone who walks in cities a lot and once had this mad idea that when I have a green light on a pedestrian crossing I can walk across and not have to expect a cyclist to barrel through.

Though yes admittedly I haven't been hit since I started assuming cyclists will just go wherever they want regardless of red lights, signage or anything else. Two wheels good, two feet go fcuk yourself, message received.

See that's that cyclist attitude that has ye so universally loved.

Just like Millwall, no one likes us we don't care!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Just like Millwall, no one likes us we don't care!

Bit unfair on yourself there T

You are doing more for yourself and the environment than any driver ever will

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is your problem, green at a pedestrian
    light does not mean you can walk across the road. It means you may cross the road if it is safe to do so. You are still meant to look and check traffic has stopped.

Are you one of those pedestrians who stands with their feet over the curb waiting to instantly cross the road at the first opportunity? You certainly didn't learn the green cross code

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There is your problem, green at a pedestrian
    light does not mean you can walk across the road. It means you may cross the road if it is safe to do so. You are still meant to look and check traffic has stopped.

Are you one of those pedestrians who stands with their feet over the curb waiting to instantly cross the road at the first opportunity? You certainly didn't learn the green cross code

Christ, you people. Is there a style guide of pedantry, condescension and obnoxiousness handed out at meetings or does it just come naturally?

Pedestrian light goes green. Traffic stopped. Start to cross while safe to do so and here comes Johnny Cyclist who apparently has no responsibility to even check it's safe to break a red from three cars back, blam into me.

While we're at it could you explain to me how I'm at fault when a cyclist hits me or nearly hits me from behind or flying around a corner on a footpath?

Or am I just lying about that one because cyclists can't apparently be wrong.

Advertisement