Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Bambi wrote: »
    Before we move on to that do you accept that

A) the Stormont assembly can impose a hard border if it desires?
    B) This is a breach of the Irish Governments red line that no hard border could result from any agreement?
    Leo and Ireland 10
    Boris and dup 0
    A great win for us

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

B) This is a breach of the Irish Governments red line that no hard border could result from any agreement?

A. From newspaper reports, it would seem so.
    B. It's a pragmatic shift in position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

he just said he is deflated and it's "a bleak day for LEAVERS"
    It's a bleak day for him because Johnson has just stolen all his clothes. Assuming he gets it through the HoC of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So you want a solution imposed on people in the north that they have no say in whatsoever?

That was never going to happen nor should any such thing happen.

How would we like something like that imposed on us with no say?

The reality is when the dust settles it is going to be impossible for them to leave the arrangements anyway for practical purposes.

Why would they vote for a hard border and economic mayhem for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Possibly given the uncertainty. But my point is that the unionist vote is on a downward trajectory recently; DUP -7% and UUP -6%. Most of these votes have gone to Alliance which is a Remain party. This trend reinforces the view that a hard border won't be voted in for the foreseeable future. As it stands, Stormont would not vote for a hard border today. If we get to the point where NI does vote for a hard border, the world will be a very different and dangerous place anyway.

No argument. I think t is as good if not better than a backstop...put your head above the parapet and cause a hard border and YOU and you alone take the consequences.
    Not even the DUP are brave enough for that.

• Advertisement

fash wrote: »
    Where there is increased polarization in society and (caused by) economic stagnation caused by political uncertainty, leading to only 1 of 2 possible outcomes to resolve the situation: hard border or United Ireland.

Or the status quo remains. I don't believe it will be as binary as you predict. Staunch Nationalism/Republicanism/Loyalism/Unionism is washing out slowly but surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

This is Manufacturing Northern Ireland's take on it. They seem to be very positive about it.

Many farmers and business owners, in contrast, welcomed a deal that would keep trade flowing and avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland. “What is good is that a deal is struck, we can move on to the more positive conversation about the future relationship and, regardless, Northern Ireland can continue to have tariff-free, quota-free access to both the UK and the EU’s single market,” said the Manufacturing Northern Ireland chief executive, Stephen Kelly.

They are relieved they have certainty as the new arrangements will mean the same trading environment for four years beyond the transition period. Stormont then gets to vote, and if the new regime is popular and can command 60% support – with at least 40% each of the nationalist and unionist votes – it will be rolled over for another eight years, a protracted EU alignment that is anathema to the DUP.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/17/rival-unionists-accuse-dup-of-catastrophic-brexit-miscalculation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

So you want a solution imposed on people in the north that they have no say in whatsoever?

The reality is when the dust settles it is going to be impossible for them to leave the arrangements anyway for practical purposes.

This was actually becoming part of the narrative north of the border in recent weeks/months and was starting to become counter-productive. A lot of people saying Varadkar had no right to be making decisions for NI. And it's fair enough. Unfortunately there was nobody else speaking for the border counties and those who would be most affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

What is the cross community majority criteria? How is it measured/tested does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Or the status quo remains. I don't believe it will be as binary as you predict. Staunch Nationalism/Republicanism/Loyalism/Unionism is washing out slowly but surely.
    So long as there is a reasonable risk of a reversion to hard border, the economic situation in NI will be awful. I don't foresee the current situation - coupled with votes every 4 years for evermore as a sustainable solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

There will be a border poll VERY soon.

I think so as well. We're getting there, slowly but surely, but we're getting there. It's going to happen at some point. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

What is the cross community majority criteria? How is it measured/tested does anyone know?

"6. For the purposes of paragraph 5, cross-community support means:

(a) a majority of those Members of the Legislative Assembly present and voting,
    including a majority of the unionist and nationalist designations present and voting;
    or

(b) a weighted majority (60%) of Members of the Legislative Assembly present and
    voting, including at least 40% of each of the nationalist and unionist designations
    present and voting"

jm08 wrote: »
    This is Manufacturing Northern Ireland's take on it. They seem to be very positive about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/17/rival-unionists-accuse-dup-of-catastrophic-brexit-miscalculation

That's a very good explanation of the voting 'backstop'. Very reassuring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

Barnier!

You son of a bitch.

What's wrong, they got you pushin' pencils in Brussels?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

Are the UUP much different to the DUP when it comes to the Irish sea border?

They're looking for a new leader at the minute. Leading candidate said this morning best thing would be to not have Brexit at all.

fash wrote: »
    So long as there is a reasonable risk of a reversion to hard border, the economic situation in NI will be awful. I don't foresee the current situation - coupled with votes every 4 years for evermore as a sustainable solution

I don't see Britain leaving with anything other than a soft Brexit in the long term. Anyway, I don't think there is a reasonable risk of NI voting for a hard border now or in the future and I think business will see it that way. Expect investment up North from all concerned to lock that vote in place. However badly NI might do in the next decade, they would then do an awful lot worse if they erected a hard border. And most young people up there care less and less about being unionist.

The ERG seem to be out in support of the deal this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Okay pal. Under what circumstances do you think that Stormont will impose a hard border? No problem if you can't think of any.
    A. From newspaper reports, it would seem so.
    B. It's a pragmatic shift in position.

I'll take it that you're saying yes to both but would rather not admit to it. :D

You're asking under what circumstances would the NI assembly take such a course, well answer this honestly a year before these events occurred did anyone think them remotely possible:

Donald Trump becoming president
    Jeremy Corbyn becoming Labour leader in the UK
    the UK voting to leave the EU
    The British Labour party being as bitterly split as the Tories on Europe
    Nazis winning seats in Germany
    A no deal Brexit becoming highly possible
    Boris Johnson becoming British PM
    A UK PM being found to have misled the Queen
    The UK government being dragged to the high court and found to have illegally pro-rouged parliament
    The British Courts finding that sections of the Good Friday agreement does not apply because.
    A Taoiseach agreeing to give Stormont the ability to impose a hard border on this Island

"It will never happen" is wishful thinking in an era where everything is in flux. If you don't want it to happen then don't create a mechanism by which it can actually happen

Guess what? It is being imposed on us with no say so

Guess what? It is being imposed on us with no say so

How?

• Advertisement

I'll take it that you're saying yes to both but would rather not admit to it. :D

You're asking under what circumstances would the NI assembly take such a course, well answer this honestly a year before these events occurred did anyone think them remotely possible:

The UK government being dragged to the high court and found to have illegally pro-rouged parliament
    The British Courts finding that sections of the Good Friday agreement does not apply because.
    A Taoiseach agreeing to give Stormont the ability to impose a hard border on this Island

"It will never happen" is wishful thinking in an era where everything is in flux. If you don't want it to happen then don't create a mechanism by which it can actually happen

But none of those points answer this question (which I've asked you at least three times):

Under what circumstances do you think NI will vote to impose a hard border?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

circadian wrote: »
    They're looking for a new leader at the minute. Leading candidate said this morning best thing would be to not have Brexit at all.

I always get the feeling the strong DUP support was in response to the strong Sinn from support. Nationalist who wouldn't necessarily consider themselves staunch Republicans would vote Sinn rather than divide the vote by voting alliance or SDLP, and allow DUP in. The same happening on the other side.
    Things can change though, I would hope moderate unionists or even unionists with an ounce of wit will have concluded that the DUP are basically self serving gangsters with no interest in the welfare of NI residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

EHGdAzRW4AIpD8X?format=jpg&name=large

The Financial Times think Johnson needs just 2 MP's to come over to his side in order for this to pass - DUP withdrawing support may not even matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The British could and quite feasibly (if it suited them) and easily ignored the backstop at any point they wished.

This way, the responsibility for a hard border lies with those who directly have to vote for it.

It's a brilliant result from an Irish perspective in my opinion. Imagine somebody out lobbying for that? And you can be sure in any election that matters they will be asked what they will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

devnull wrote: »
    (b) a weighted majority (60%) of Members of the Legislative Assembly present and
    voting, including at least 40% of each of the nationalist and unionist designations
    present and voting"
    That 40% threshold could become problematic in the future. If 60% of the Assembly is made up of non-aligned Members, and the remaining 40% is split equally between traditional nationalist and unionists, chances are one or other of those will be really hard core, possibly even elected on a platform of opposition to the status quo. In that situation, somewhat paradoxically, the less sectarian the Assembly becomes, the greater the effective veto of the hardliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

irishfeen wrote: »
    EHGdAzRW4AIpD8X?format=jpg&name=large

The Financial Times think Johnson needs just 2 MP's to come over to his side in order for this to pass - DUP withdrawing support may not even matter.

Such a split vote would only lead to further rancour and division. Imagine the UK leaving the EU with this deal with a majority of one or two MPs in Parliament.

joe40 wrote: »
    I always get the feeling the strong DUP support was in response to the strong Sinn from support. Nationalist who wouldn't necessarily consider themselves staunch Republicans would vote Sinn rather than divide the vote by voting alliance or SDLP, and allow DUP in. The same happening on the other side.
    Things can change though, I would hope moderate unionists or even unionists with an ounce of wit will have concluded that the DUP are basically self serving gangsters with no interest in the welfare of NI residents.

They are concluding that. Polling shows that they have lost nearly 20% of their vote since the 2017 election.

But none of those points answer this question (which I've asked you at least three times):

Under what circumstances do you think NI will vote to impose a hard border?

You've asked three times and I've asked you to follow your own logic, you've been dragged to admitting that I was right on two counts but won't take the final step, that you can't reliably state that a NI vote to establish a hard border in four years is unforeseeable. Whereas, two days ago it was impossible.

So before I answer, did any of those events seem likely to you a year before they occurred. Just bear in mind that your credibility rests on you answering in the negative to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

That "mechanism" is democracy though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Will the DUP vote against it? They might abstain if that not certain of their numbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement