Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

mailburner wrote: »
    I watched this last night

I can only echo every single word there.
    It's as good a movie as i've seen in years

It seems to be a remake of a Korean film with the same name from 7 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It seems to be a remake of a Korean film with the same name from 7 years ago.

It is and there's an indonesian one also
    All three are very highly rated, korean one probably as good although
    the acting in this turkish one is superb.

I'm watching a film called Tigertail and I can't figure out if it's supposed to look like it does, or if it's the reduced quality bandwidth whatever thingy?
    Some of it looks like kind of old grainy film, but it's flashbacks so I thought maybe it's an aesthetic choice, but now there's some night time sense and the dark spaces look sort of blocky and like a poor quality stream.
    I've been watching stuff most days since the measures came in and have never noticed any real issues.

My god that was a tough movie to get through! not a bad movie but thoroughly depressing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

My god that was a tough movie to get through! not a bad movie but thoroughly depressing.

Yep. I've been reading a few bits and pieces about it and apparently it's a common immigrant story. A whole generation of people who basically sacrificed their lives so the next generation could have the life they wanted themselves. I'm sure there's plenty of Irish people with the same story.

I just finished watching Caliphate. I assume it’s been mentioned here already. What an amazing show. Scandinavian TV at its best as always.

pure coincidence that the last two movies I watched were foreign in tigertail and miracle in cell block no. 7
    This was to be my next watch, will definitely be now after reading that, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,210 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Watched Outbreak late last night

It has not aged well. And it wasn't that strong to begin with
    Agreed.
    I would recommend the hot zone tv version.

Outbreak was supposedly based partially on same source...but they used very little of the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

peteeeed wrote: »

Giri/Haji: Season 1
    In a London apartment, a man lies dead with a sword in his back. In Tokyo, a man sits at a table in a diner, looking at a photo of the crime scene. The two seem like their worlds couldn’t be farther apart. The fact that Giri/Haji, BBC Two’s jaw-dropping thriller, manages to connect the two at all is impressive. The way it does it, though, elevates it from a gripping drama to a truly remarkable piece of television. Tokyo detective Kenzo Mori is sent to London to find the brother he thought was dead, now reappeared and wanted for a vicious killing that threatens to tear both cities apart. One of the year’s most original and unique series, blending animation, cinematic flashbacks and neon visuals, this globe-trotting thriller is a remarkable piece of TV.

Great to see this added. Aired originally with little fanfare, and probably had little amount of viewers due to its bi-lingual and unorthodox narrative, but really is well a worth a look.
    Thread for it here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112264762

#blackAF: Season 1
    Pulling back the curtain, #blackAF uncovers the messy, unfiltered and often hilarious world of what it means to be a “new money” black family trying to get it right in a modern world where “right” is no longer a fixed concept. The Netflix original series stars Kenya Barris as a fictionalised version of himself and Rashida Jones as his wife Joya.

Blurb made me think of it as a mash-up between two non-Netflix shows:
    a “new money” black family trying to get it right in a modern world; as in 'Survivor's Remorse'
    and with the 'AF' tag- as part of episode names, Issa Rae's Insecure (Two black women who are best friends navigate the pitfalls of their personal and professional lives in south Los Angeles)
    Saw the trailer, and Issa Rae is in it. Well, there ya go.

I never watched Kenya Barris' Black-ish, so if this any good I might go and give that a look also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Great to see this added. Aired originally with little fanfare, and probably had little amount of viewers due to its bi-lingual and unorthodox narrative, but really is well a worth a look.
    Thread for it here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112264762

it was on bbc2 right ? think i have it recorded

it was on bbc2 right ? think i have it recorded
    Yeah; "BBC Two’s jaw-dropping thriller".:p:)
    Actually, I'd hesitate to call it a thriller, as that would heighten expectations of what you're gonna get in terms of pacing. It does have some action elements at times, but it's more of a drama, with bits of excitement thrown in occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah; "BBC Two’s jaw-dropping thriller".:p:)
    Actually, I'd hesitate to call it a thriller, as that would heighten expectations of what you're gonna get in terms of pacing. It does have some action elements at times, but it's more of a drama, with bits of excitement thrown in occasionally.

I saw the trailer a few times when it was on BBC but I can't say it appealed to me. Seen a lot of people raving about it since it's been on iPlayer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Too Hot to Handle: Season 1
    Hot on the heels of Love Is Blind comes this new dating series with an equally outrageous hook: on the shores of paradise, gorgeous singles meet and mingle, but to win a $100,000 grand prize, they’ll have to give up sex.

Sounds like easy money to me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Netflix have it prominently marked "TEEN". What's that about? It doesn't look like something for teenagers.

Too Hot to Handle: Season 1
    Hot on the heels of Love Is Blind comes this new dating series with an equally outrageous hook: on the shores of paradise, gorgeous singles meet and mingle, but to win a $100,000 grand prize, they’ll have to give up sex.

A bit like marriage.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

mikhail wrote: »
    Netflix have it prominently marked "TEEN". What's that about? It doesn't look like something for teenagers.

It doesn't look like something for anyone.

We're truly in the idiocracy.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It doesn't look like something for anyone.

We're truly in the idiocracy.

It has electrolytes.

I'd say the reason for the Teen rating is simply due to not containing anything to earn it a higher rating. Like probably little to no nudity. And more sexual references than actual sex.

Catfish ( the documentary movie. I hated it, manipulative piece of sh!t)

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Catfish ( the documentary movie. I hated it, manipulative piece of sh!t)

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Added

Agree on Catfish. Awful documentary, in lots of ways.

Catfish ( the documentary movie. I hated it, manipulative piece of sh!t.
    tigger123 wrote: »
    Agree on Catfish. Awful documentary, in lots of ways.

It was of its time really. I really enjoyed it when it first came out 10 years ago, despite reservations about its authenticity; it contributed to my dislike of social media platforms, which I have never used. It of course spawned 8 series (which I never bothered with), so is more than jaded at this stage, and so wouldn't watch the original again, but it is quite memorable; the origin of the title still sticks with me.

510045.png

After watching it I felt they knew what they had so tried to make it look like they were finding out as they went along, horrible people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I finished watching A Year In Space last night. A very good and interesting documentary which follows 2 astronauts/cosmonauts who spend a year on the ISS. The episodes are only 12-15 minutes long so you'll fly through it.

Also, started Life On Mars after someone here said it was added. Fitting, really after that documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

It was of its time really. I really enjoyed it when it first came out 10 years ago, despite reservations about its authenticity; it contributed to my dislike of social media platforms, which I have never used. It of course spawned 8 series (which I never bothered with), so is more than jaded at this stage, and so wouldn't watch the original again, but it is quite memorable; the origin of the title still sticks with me.

510045.png

I also saw it when it came out first.

Posting the Rotten Tomatoes rating isnt really going to change my mind.

Its supposed to be a documentary, and it's not, it's a fabrication.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I also saw it when it came out first.

Posting the Rotten Tomatoes rating isnt really going to change my mind.

Its supposed to be a documentary, and it's not, it's a fabrication.

Jeez, relax; I wasn't trying to change anyone's mind- just give food for thought to anyone who hasn't yet seen it. The RT addition was more about the review- I was agreeing about the crass exploitation part, and acknowledged it's dubious authenticity, but that aside, it was also an effective commentary (10 years ago) on just one potential abuse of social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Miracle in Cell No 7 is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I'm not one to shed tears watching a film but this one definitely had me in my feels. Highly recommend
    I watched this last night

I can only echo every single word there.
    It's as good a movie as i've seen in years

I watched this last night too and i can honestly say its the saddest film I've ever seen,but it's a really good film with great acting and well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I watched this last night too and i can honestly say its the saddest film I've ever seen,but it's a really good film with great acting and well made.

Is it the Turkish one you are talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Is it the Turkish one you are talking about?

Yes the Turkish one that's on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Loved Unorthodox. Good story, well told.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Sergio was decent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

The making of it clips are great too.... I did think her new life bits could have been done better but I still really enjoyed it. Fantastic story and wonderfully acted.

• Advertisement

Looks really good, gonna start that later.

Advertisement