Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Had to turn off love wedding repeat after 20 mins
    It was just all so incredibly annoying and the worst acting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Trying to find a bit of Netflix entertainment for my elderly mum who's at my place for the lockdown. She'd be a big fan of all the soaps and recently loved The Crown. I was recommended The Durrells. Any views/reviews of it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Rfrip wrote: »
    Had to turn off love wedding repeat after 20 mins
    It was just all so incredibly annoying and the worst acting

Literally coming in here to say how much I enjoyed it haha. It is a case of wasted potential when you consider that Community got through 8 alternative timelines in twenty minutes and this only managed 2 in an hour and forty but I thought the humour was really good, Tim Key being a particular highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Literally coming in here to say how much I enjoyed it haha. It is a case of wasted potential when you consider that Community got through 8 alternative timelines in twenty minutes and this only managed 2 in an hour and forty but I thought the humour was really good, Tim Key being a particular highlight.
    I thought it was very poor bar a couple of the supporting people.
    Tim key was fun, Aisling Bea also had fun.
    Lots of potential and a waste of a decent idea and a good cast.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

acequion wrote: »
    Trying to find a bit of Netflix entertainment for my elderly mum who's at my place for the lockdown. She'd be a big fan of all the soaps and recently loved The Crown. I was recommended The Durrells. Any views/reviews of it? Thanks.

The Durrells is probably ideal for her. It's fairly easy going but the cast are all really good and there's some good laughs in it too. It's better than most of the "Sunday evening" type programs ITV put out. Lovely scenery too. She might like Call the Midwife too, if she's not already seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I did a quick recommendation for The Platform this morning, but I only just remembered reading one reviewer saying about how relatable it was to the current Covid pandemic :
    the panic-buying in the shops, like the panic-eating at the platform, and its relationship to human nature

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭flazio

joeguevara wrote: »
    I think Brooklyn nine nine is one of the best modern comedies. Not as good as Always Sunny but still excellent. The thing that annoys me every time I watch it though is that Hitchcock and Scully are not included at the end of the opening credits when all the others are walking down a street. Two of them are up there with the funniest characters and should be included. I realise it’s a tiny thing.
    I'm just wondering how did they remove Gina from that shot. It's clearly still them from Season 1, (same hair, clothes etc) but no Gina. Did they do a version of the walk back at the start without her because she isn't a cop?
    Anyway, just in case you weren't aware, season 7 is airing on E4 at the moment (Thursdays nights) and the first 4 episodes are on the demand service All 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

acequion wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the book it's based on, so the story is fundamentally good. I only gave the show an episode or two and didn't warm to it, as it's a bit slow-paced, but it's certainly a decent shout for easy watching for an older lady. It's the story of a widow packing up her things and moving to Corfu in the 1930s or so because life is cheaper there. The book is a memoir of the youngest child, who was obsessed with the wildlife there and later became a naturalist or zoologist or something. The show seemed to spread the load to the older siblings and the mother, which may be a good pragmatic choice, but seemed to lessen it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

flazio wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how did they remove Gina from that shot. It's clearly still them from Season 1, (same hair, clothes etc) but no Gina. Did they do a version of the walk back at the start without her because she isn't a cop?
    They may have green screened the whole thing in the first place, making it very easy to alter it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Tim Key in Love Wedding Repeat reminds me of Ricky Gervais

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I just finished watching Caliphate. I assume it’s been mentioned here already. What an amazing show. Scandinavian TV at its best as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

My Netflix just crashed out here. Restarted TV etc but nothing. Anyone else or just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

jluv wrote: »
    My Netflix just crashed out here. Restarted TV etc but nothing. Anyone else or just me?

Switched off power and restarted. Back in action. Never had it stop in middle of viewing..apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭LilacNails

The bonus episode of the Tiger King was crap.

Tried watching Love Marriage Repeat, had to turn off as soon as Aishling Bea appeared. I want to like her but she acts too dumb, over the top for. My liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

ixoy wrote: »
    Bonus episode of 'Tiger King' added - it's Joel McHale interviewing a number of the people from the documentary in light of its success.

Wouldn't bother to be honest - very little added and very little entertainment

I just finished watching Caliphate. I assume it’s been mentioned here already. What an amazing show. Scandinavian TV at its best as always.
    Just did a search for it here, and there is no thread started for it; i have it on my 'to watch' list. The premise sounds interesting. No RT review, but r/v's elsewhere pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Just did a search for it here, and there is no thread started for it; i have it on my 'to watch' list. The premise sounds interesting. No RT review, but r/v's elsewhere pretty good.

It’s excellent go for it, best tv I’ve seen in a while anyway. Just make sure subtitles are set right as it’s not always automatic when you go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Just watched Uncorked...bit meh. Tries to be edgy but fails.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Wouldn't bother to be honest - very little added and very little entertainment
    Cheers. I wondered how good it could be given how quickly it appeared. I imagine the success of 'Tiger King' took Netflix completely by surprise and they wanted to cash in. Will wait for a proper follow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Watched Outbreak late last night

It has not aged well. And it wasn't that strong to begin with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I see The Wizard is now on Netflix. Best Nintendo ad ever!

Watched this tonight, aside from wanting a NES now I got a good laugh out of spotting a very young Tobey Maguire as one of the gaming rivals goons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭maebee

Got a Netflix recommendation from a friend tonight to watch "Rake". Has anybody watched it? Is it worth a binge?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,473 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

maebee wrote: »
    Got a Netflix recommendation from a friend tonight to watch "Rake". Has anybody watched it? Is it worth a binge?

Haven't watched it but had a look there and it has very good reviews. Will add it to my list.

• Subscribers Posts: 48 AnneRyan

Rake is brilliant, both Mr Ryan and I loved it! The kominsky Method is also great

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Tiger King And I. An utter waste of time.
    Some of the questions the guests were asked were truly cringe worthy. “Did Joe ever make a pass at you? “

I knew it probably wouldn’t be up to much going into it and was prepared for that but Jesus it really was scraping the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

adox wrote: »
    The Tiger King And I. An utter waste of time.
    Some of the questions the guests were asked were truly cringe worthy. “Did Joe ever make a pass at you? “

I knew it probably wouldn’t be up to much going into it and was prepared for that but Jesus it really was scraping the barrel.
    Am watching it now... it's very poor, plus the interviews over FaceTime don't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Absolutely loved the first season, but quality wise I felt like it went off a cliff then. Think I only lasted half of season 2 before giving up. Becomes completely ridiculous.

Absolutely loved the first season, but quality wise I felt like it went off a cliff then. Think I only lasted half of season 2 before giving up. Becomes completely ridiculous.
    Watched the first episode last year, but thought the only real draw seemed to be the idiosyncrasy of his clientele. Unremarkable otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I thought Rake was excellent. Very amusing.

There are 5 seasons with only the final season dropping in quality I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

yes but President Trump WOULD consider pardoning Joe Exotic....

Advertisement