Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Tiger king is another win for this forum. No way I would have even thought to watch it.
    Well done people :D

Also it is rare for a netflix doc to be just the right length. It did not feel dragged out

The extra episode is SCUTTER

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Miracle in Cell No 7 is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I'm not one to shed tears watching a film but this one definitely had me in my feels. Highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Has anyone here watched Fauda? Worth a look?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

den87 wrote: »

Yeah. Thought it was quite good. Looking foward to season 3

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

den87 wrote: »
    Yep, I've enjoyed it. It may be why you're asking but Season 3 is dropping very soon so it's a good time to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Not sure they’ve been flagged in this thread but BBC’s

Life On Mars and Ashes to Ashes have been added/returned.

Both are binge worthy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Captain Fantastic on Netflix is a brilliant film. Easily in my top 5 the last year. Not sure if mentioned on here previously. Loved it from start to finish. Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Chris D’Elia: No Pain
    He may not be great at things like reading or talking to babies, but he definitely has a bit of perspective on both comedy and life.

A Champion Heart
    When a grieving teen must work off her debt to a ranch, she cares for a wounded horse that teaches her more about healing than she expected.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I just finished watching Caliphate. I assume it’s been mentioned here already. What an amazing show. Scandinavian TV at its best as always.

Sat down late enough last night to watch 1 episode and ended up watching 4, very well made TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Watched The Last Post - a mini series drama about the British presence in Arden, Arabia in the 60s. Really enjoyed it. Also watching Victoria & her 9 children - Jaysus I’m amazed. It’s a BBC series & it makes her out to be some cnut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Also - yay! Dinnerladies has been added. Victoria Wood was a comedy genius. This is seriously funny tv! Innuendo laden sitcom.

Outer Banks season 1
    Four friends. One summer. And $400 million in gold.
    On an island of haves and have-nots, teen John B enlists his three best friends to hunt for a legendary treasure linked to his father's disappearance

The Innocence Files: Season 1
    Netflix’s investment in true crime goes one step further with this new docuseries that explore eight cases of wrongful conviction that The Innocence Project works to overturn.

Fittest in Dubai
    Top athletes from around the globe test their fitness in a four-day competition at the first-ever CrossFit Sanctional event. Let the games begin

The Big Family Cooking Showdown
    In this unscripted series, families passionate about food serve up their most delicious dishes for the chance to be crowned Britain's best home cooks

Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow
    Years after the Avengers made the ultimate sacrifice while battling the invincible Ultron, their teen kids are ready to pick up where they left off.

Thor: Tales of Asgard
    Thor, the Marvel comic book character, comes to life in this animated feature that explores his earliest adventures with his brother Loki

Multiple hulk cartoons

The LEGO Ninjago Movie

Crimson Peak

For the Broken Hearted
    In three interwoven stories, love ends up in limbo as romantic partners navigate bliss, loss, failures and feelings while trying to make happiness last.

Still Game season 8

added

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

km79 wrote: »
    Is The confession Killer worth a watch ?
    Or el chapo (just finished narcos Mexico )

You should definitely watch El Chapo

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

Daz_ wrote:
    You should definitely watch El Chapo

Great series. One interesting guy

Fauda season 3
    A top Israeli agent comes out of retirement to hunt for a Palestinian fighter he thought he'd killed, setting a chaotic chain of events into motion.

Fary: Hexagone
    French comedy phenom Fary puts a playful spin on questions of identity, culture, patriotism and more in a wide-ranging, two-part stand-up special.

Maurício Meirelles: Generating Chaos
    Comedian Maurício Meirelles explores his chaotic mind with scathingly funny views on family, prejudices, turtles and more in this stand-up special

Time Trap
    While searching for their missing archaeology professor, a group of students discovers a cave where time passes differently than it does on the surface

added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Finished Ozark last night, Fauda pops up today, that'll do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I am just after watching the documentary titled 'Miss Americana'. It offers a deep look into Taylor Swifts life throughout her journey. I wouldn't be interested in this type of thing normally. However, surprising I really enjoyed it! I would definitely recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Watched Moneyball for the first time last night and it's the first Brad Pitt movie I've seen since someone mentioned that he's eating something in nearly every scene he's ever done, I can't stop noticing it now :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm watching a film called Tigertail and I can't figure out if it's supposed to look like it does, or if it's the reduced quality bandwidth whatever thingy?
    Some of it looks like kind of old grainy film, but it's flashbacks so I thought maybe it's an aesthetic choice, but now there's some night time sense and the dark spaces look sort of blocky and like a poor quality stream.
    I've been watching stuff most days since the measures came in and have never noticed any real issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm watching a film called Tigertail and I can't figure out if it's supposed to look like it does, or if it's the reduced quality bandwidth whatever thingy?
    Some of it looks like kind of old grainy film, but it's flashbacks so I thought maybe it's an aesthetic choice, but now there's some night time sense and the dark spaces look sort of blocky and like a poor quality stream.
    I've been watching stuff most days since the measures came in and have never noticed any real issues.

I think it's meant to be like that. Watching it myself at the moment and I can't say that's at the height of my issues though, it's so ****ing door and the acting is terrible. I'd have turned it off if I was watching it alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I think it's meant to be like that. Watching it myself at the moment and I can't say that's at the height of my issues though, it's so ****ing door and the acting is terrible. I'd have turned it off if I was watching it alone.

I thought it was fine. It seems a very personal story, but yeah, not a lot happens, and it's very slow moving, I can see why it wouldn't be to everyone's taste.

After watching it I was looking up some reviews of it and someone mentioned that the flashback stuff was shot on 16mm, so I think it was supposed to look different, but I still noticed the blocky dark bits even in the modern scenes, so maybe a combination of both.

#blackAF: Season 1
    Pulling back the curtain, #blackAF uncovers the messy, unfiltered and often hilarious world of what it means to be a “new money” black family trying to get it right in a modern world where “right” is no longer a fixed concept. The Netflix original series stars Kenya Barris as a fictionalised version of himself and Rashida Jones as his wife Joya.

Earth and Blood
    Saïd owns a sawmill deep in the woods, which he decides to sell. Little does he know that one of his apprentices was cornered by his brother and forced to hide a large amount of cocaine inside the factory. When the gang to whom the drugs belong shows up, Saïd quickly realises how determined these tough guys are.

El Dragón: Return of a Warrior: Season 2
    to replace his grandfather as head of a cartel, a Tokyo financier returns to his home country of Mexico, where he battles two rivals for control.

Rising High
    Ready to do anything to get rich, a young man upends the Berlin property market with his shady pal, till the good times threaten to destroy it all in this new German film based on real life.

Sergio
    Wagner Moura and Ana de Armas star in this sweeping biopic of UN diplomat Sergio Vieira de Mello, whose life hangs in the balance in the chaotic aftermath of the US invasion of Iraq.

The Last Kids on Earth: Book 2
    When zombies and monsters invade his hometown, a scrappy 13-year-old orphan teams up with his friends in hopes of surviving the chaos. Based on the graphic novels by Max Brallier.

The Legacy of the Bones
    A year after solving a series of murders, detective Amaia is faced with a related mystery in the Baztán Valley that hits close to home.

Too Hot to Handle: Season 1
    Hot on the heels of Love Is Blind comes this new dating series with an equally outrageous hook: on the shores of paradise, gorgeous singles meet and mingle, but to win a $100,000 grand prize, they’ll have to give up sex.

Giri/Haji: Season 1
    In a London apartment, a man lies dead with a sword in his back. In Tokyo, a man sits at a table in a diner, looking at a photo of the crime scene. The two seem like their worlds couldn’t be farther apart. The fact that Giri/Haji, BBC Two’s jaw-dropping thriller, manages to connect the two at all is impressive. The way it does it, though, elevates it from a gripping drama to a truly remarkable piece of television. Tokyo detective Kenzo Mori is sent to London to find the brother he thought was dead, now reappeared and wanted for a vicious killing that threatens to tear both cities apart. One of the year’s most original and unique series, blending animation, cinematic flashbacks and neon visuals, this globe-trotting thriller is a remarkable piece of TV.

Breaking In
    A mother turns the tables on a group of robbers who have kidnapped her kids inside a fortified house.

The Legacy of the Bones
    A year after solving a series of murders, detective Amaia is faced with a related mystery in the Baztán Valley that ends up hitting very close to home.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Thomas and Friends is on there now for anyone with kids who are into Thomas.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looking blocky in dark scenes is possibly down to the reduced bitrate alright, I've noticed it in or two other things lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Looking blocky in dark scenes is possibly down to the reduced bitrate alright, I've noticed it in or two other things lately.
    Agreed. Noticed it a lot in Ozark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Basq wrote: »
    Agreed. Noticed it a lot in Ozark.

I'm finding Ozark incredibly dark. Watching in 4k HDR and still way too dark.

We only started watching Ozark recently and I was perplexed by the image.

So it's Covid19 causing this too?!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

T-b0n3 wrote: »

The bitrate on 4K HDR stuff used to always be around 15MB/s it's down to about 7 now. It shouldn't make the image itself darker but it will make the image not look as good when it's dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It is a dark show (both in story and colour tone), but definitely there were times I noticed "blocky blacks” (like image degradation).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was pretty prominent in the news a few weeks ago: Netflix and most streaming services are throttling their bandwidth in the EU, to account for the ludicrous uptick in usage over the last month or so. ISPs are getting hammered ATM, so they tweaked their bitrates. I've noticed banding in some parts all right, but under the circumstances I'm OK with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Miracle in Cell No 7 is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I'm not one to shed tears watching a film but this one definitely had me in my feels. Highly recommend

I watched this last night

I can only echo every single word there.
    It's as good a movie as i've seen in years

Advertisement