Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm enjoying a show called Kim's Convenience at the mo, it's a sitcom about a Korean Canadian family running a small shop in Toronto. I wasn't sure about it at first but it's really grown on me after a few episodes. It's just very easy to watch, the characters are all really likeable and the two parents of the family (the father in particular) are absolutely hilarious at times. Not something I'm binging, just throw an episode on every now and then when I don't feel like committing to anything longer.

About halfway through Giri/Haji now too after seeing it mentioned on here, finding it really good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Someone here mentioned Outbreak and it hasn’t aged well, I saw that in the cinema and thought it was brilliant. Just watched, Jesus, some serious steaming pile of shįte :) Totally implausible also. Opening scene wasn’t bad, went downhill fast from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

Fauda is brilliant. Just started binge watching series 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,883 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watching Medical Police and just got episode 4 watched at lunch. It's no Police Squad. Maybe closer to Angie Tribeca.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Someone here mentioned Outbreak and it hasn’t aged well, I saw that in the cinema and thought it was brilliant. Just watched, Jesus, some serious steaming pile of shįte :) Totally implausible also. Opening scene wasn’t bad, went downhill fast from then on.
    Ha - I watched this last night and enjoyed it! First half isn't that daft, but after that it does venture into severe unbelievability.

Of course with COVID, now we're all virology experts...

"What? There's no way a virus could mutate to airborne that quickly. As as for synthesising that serum from the host? Clearly that would take months if not years, not to mention the supporting clinical trials. And those aren't N95 disposable respirators the soldiers are wearing? They're clearly an infection risk themselves. This film is ridiculous."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Watching Medical Police and just got episode 4 watched at lunch. It's no Police Squad. Maybe closer to Angie Tribeca.
    It is deliriously silly at times, and fairly consistently funny throughout the season. I only found out after watching it that it's spun off from a similar parody of medical dramas set in the children's hospital in "Brazil" they start off in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Started watching Press last night about two tabloid-ish newspapers in the UK, competing against each other.

Ben Chaplin is really good as one of the editors. I’m waiting to see how the rest of the cast develops as well as the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,883 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

mikhail wrote: »
    It is deliriously silly at times, and fairly consistently funny throughout the season. I only found out after watching it that it's spun off from a similar parody of medical dramas set in the children's hospital in "Brazil" they start off in.

That would explain why the doctor with the clown face paint looked like the guy I saw in promo pictures for Children's Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm enjoying a show called Kim's Convenience at the mo, it's a sitcom about a Korean Canadian family running a small shop in Toronto. I wasn't sure about it at first but it's really grown on me after a few episodes. It's just very easy to watch, the characters are all really likeable and the two parents of the family (the father in particular) are absolutely hilarious at times. Not something I'm binging, just throw an episode on every now and then when I don't feel like committing to anything longer.

About halfway through Giri/Haji now too after seeing it mentioned on here, finding it really good so far.

I would second the recommendation for Kim's Convenience - it's a sweet, innocent comedy show. Threw it on to pass twenty minutes one day and quickly fell in love with it - Appa and Umma are excellent characters

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Not sure if it's been mentioned much here but I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson is maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen. A 6 episode sketch comedy show, can watch the whole thing in 2 hours, I've watched it countless times and am still left in tears during nearly every scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not sure if it's been mentioned much here but I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson is maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen. A 6 episode sketch comedy show, can watch the whole thing in 2 hours, I've watched it countless times and am still left in tears during nearly every scene.
    Yeah, it's great. Always some "misses" with sketch shows but this has very few. It's excellent!

It's gotten a second season renewal too.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/i-think-you-should-leave-with-tim-robinson-renewed-season-2-netflix-1203247675/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

he's reached legendary status this week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Season 1
    After a global financial crisis, the world is engulfed in an AI-driven "sustainable war." It's up to Section 9 to counter new forms of cyber threats

Time to Hunt (Korean)
    Wanting to leave their dystopian world behind for a faraway paradise, three outlaws plot a money heist -- and draw the attention of a vicious killer.

The House of Flowers (La casa de las flores) season 3
    In this dark comedy, a wealthy matriarch tries to maintain her family's facade of perfection after her husband's mistress exposes their dirty secrets.

added

tomorrow we get

After Life: Season 2

and

Extraction
    Chris Hemsworth stars in this new thriller produced the Russo brothers as Tyler Rake, a fearless black market mercenary with nothing left to lose. Tyler’s skills are solicited to rescue the kidnapped son of an imprisoned international crime lord, but in the murky underworld of weapons dealers and drug traffickers, an already deadly mission approaches the impossible, forever altering the lives of Rake and the boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

peteeeed wrote: »
    Time to Hunt (Korean)
    Wanting to leave their dystopian world behind for a faraway paradise, three outlaws plot a money heist -- and draw the attention of a vicious killer.
    Sounds interesting; from RT-
    In a hopeless dystopian city, Jun-seok (LEE Je-hoon) is released from prison and plans his next step in life in order to start anew with his friends Jang-ho (AHN Jae-hong), Ki-hoon (CHOI Woo-shik) and Sang-soo (PARK Jeong-min). But their excitement for the plan is short-lived as an unknown man chases after them. Can these best friends get away from the hunt?

Though, the genre is not clear from the blurb- it's down as: Drama, Science Fiction & Fantasy.
    Reviews pretty good. I might give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

After a global financial crisis, the world is engulfed in an AI-driven "sustainable war." It's up to Section 9 to counter new forms of cyber threats

Time to Hunt (Korean)

In this dark comedy, a wealthy matriarch tries to maintain her family's facade of perfection after her husband's mistress exposes their dirty secrets.

added

tomorrow we get

and

Extraction
    Chris Hemsworth stars in this new thriller produced the Russo brothers as Tyler Rake, a fearless black market mercenary with nothing left to lose. Tyler’s skills are solicited to rescue the kidnapped son of an imprisoned international crime lord, but in the murky underworld of weapons dealers and drug traffickers, an already deadly mission approaches the impossible, forever altering the lives of Rake and the boy.

Can't wait for After Life S2. Just finished rewatching S1 with the Mammy (cocooning Her Ladyship) and she loved it!

{off-topic}
    Not of Netflix, but if you liked Roisin Conaty in After Life (and she was great even though her part was small), she has a magnificent series herself. Gameface is available on the All 4 Player and I highly recommend that. When I finished it the first time, I went straight back and watched it again:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/gameface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Time to Hunt (Korean)

added

tomorrow we get

and

Extraction

Can't wait for After Life S2. Just finished rewatching S1 with the Mammy (cocooning Her Ladyship) and she loved it!

{off-topic}
    Not on Netflix, but if you liked Roisin Conaty in After Life (and she was great even though her part was small), she has a magnificent series herself. Gameface is available on the All 4 Player and I highly recommend that. When I finished it the first time, I went straight back and watched it again:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

{off-topic}
    Not on Netflix, but if you liked Roisin Conaty in After Life (and she was great even though her part was small), she has a magnificent series herself. Gameface is available on the All 4 Player and I highly recommend that. When I finished it the first time, I went straight back and watched it again:

She is in Man Down, also on the All4 app, and better than both Afterlife and Gameface

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

KellyOne wrote: »
    Apollo 18

6/10. Not bad at all

You mean Apollo 11?

Thought it was excellent, didn't know much about the moon landings, great to see some of the footage.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I like all the cast, but their was no point to the show and even a dunce like me could pretty much figure out how it all ended.

Not an original idea in there whatsoever.

The book it is based on is brilliant. It's non-fiction, but it looks like BBC added a drama over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

It's fabulous, gutted I can't binge on it!

I've read that 10 of them have been leaked, I've seen 8 of them online so I'll binge on that for the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Just finished watching Spanish drama Drug Squad Costa del Sol...thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Loved the 70's kitsch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You mean Apollo 11?

Thought it was excellent, didn't know much about the moon landings, great to see some of the footage.

No, I think they meant Apollo 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I would second the recommendation for Kim's Convenience - it's a sweet, innocent comedy show. Threw it on to pass twenty minutes one day and quickly fell in love with it - Appa and Umma are excellent characters

Gave this a look based on these posts. It's a great show! On S1 episode 3 and laughing away.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Anyone got a clue how long the gap between the original airing and getting on Netflix is with Inside No. 9? I can see Season 5 has finished last month, and can't find where it'll appear on Netflix..does it take a year or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Peaky Blinders season 5 is absolute muck. Worst season ever.
    Just watched gangs of London episode 1 on now tv. It’s batsh1t crazy, like a mix of PB, Snatch and The Raid. Looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Just finished I Think You Should Leave, comedy gold, dunno where lads make this shít up haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

camz09 wrote: »
    Anyone got a clue how long the gap between the original airing and getting on Netflix is with Inside No. 9? I can see Season 5 has finished last month, and can't find where it'll appear on Netflix..does it take a year or something like that?

It usually takes a while alright. Peaky Blinders has taken up to a year sometimes and a few seasons of Luther and Line of Duty took a year or two in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

watched two of that season and lost interest, couldn't but binge watch all the other seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its unwatchable now which is a shame as the first two seasons are fantastic.

Season 3 tried something different but didn't quite work, Brody made season 4 unbearable and those twists,,,I never seen them coming.:mad:

Season 5 the worst though,,,and a special "shout out" to Brian Gleeson who just isn't very good at this acting lark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its unwatchable now which is a shame as the first two seasons are fantastic.

Season 3 tried something different but didn't quite work, Brody made season 4 unbearable and those twists,,,I never seen them coming.:mad:

Season 5 the worst though,,,and a special "shout out" to Brian Gleeson who just isn't very good at this acting lark.
    Apart from tailoring fantastic to pretty interesting take, that'd me. Except I bailed at end of season 4 (at least I think I finished it- can't really remember it). Didn't bother with 5. Only persevered til 4 because the wife insisted I watch it (Cillian Murphy :mad:)

Advertisement