Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giri/Haji

Options
  • 16-01-2020 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Gave this a watch. I thought it was decent enough. At an hour per episode which seemed unnecessary, it felt like it dragged a bit in places though.

It's cool what they did though in having the story properly in Japan and England with the languages too.

Wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giri/Haji
    Synopsis
    Kenzo Mori (Takehiro Hira), a Tokyo detective, travels to London in search of his presumed deceased brother Yuto (Yōsuke Kubozuka), who is accused of brutally killing the nephew of a Yakuza member

Trailer:

For the ending,
    I was a bit in shock when it looked like they were legit gonna let Taki die. The revelation about Roy was funny. I swear I thought he was either the worst designed character or that something was gonna be up with him from early in the show. I'd given up on him though by the time he kicked off.

For the future, this felt like an encapsulated story so maybe they won't be going for a season 2.

What might be cool would maybe be some people taking inspiration and doing live action anime stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

From The Sofa thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111953785&postcount=1346

Just finished watching it. The series is bookended by two fantastic episodes, but sags a little in between. I wasn't sure whether I would continue after the third one, thinking that the opening episode perhaps had flattered to deceive.
    The opener was very stylish, with a tongue-in-cheek mishmash of styles, genres, action and humour; while the subsequent episodes lacked the style and verve of the opener, it settled into a complex plot with lots of humour- being slightly bonkers at times, but feeling a little weighed down- a little too slow at times.
    This was all redeemed in the last episode; the best series finale I have seen in a long time. The rooftop scene was one I would normally see as just pretentious and silly, when out of nowhere, came a scene that was just amazing-an emotional knock-out, timed to coincide with plot threads elsewhere being tied up. A truly memorable finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It was really stylish! The way they did both countries was new to me. The ability to interface them seems to have eluded live-action film-makers for ages.

Advertisement