Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

Jaysus, I'm going to need this lockdown to last till Christmas to get through all this material

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched A Silent Voice this morning. It's a Japanese animated film. I never know what to say about these films, they're so serious in their themes it's hard to imagine them being marketed at kids. Then again maybe they're not, or maybe we in the English speaking world are so used to having animation relegated to "family" films. I dunno.

Anyway.... it starts with Ishida, aged about 17, about to kill himself by jumping off a bridge. Flash back to grade school and Ishida is the ringleader when a deaf girl who starts at his school is bullied. He pushes things to the point of physically hurting the girl resulting in her changing schools and everyone getting in trouble for it. Ishida is then ostracized by the rest of the class and spends the rest of his school days alone and sad, leading us up to were he is when the film opens. Except he doesn't jump. Instead he sets about trying to make up for his behaviour as a child, which leads to him reconnecting with a lot of the kids he used to know, and low and behold he's not the only one with issues and low self esteem.

It's just over 2 hours long but it flew by for me. There's loads of life lessons to be learned but they never feel like you're being beaten over the head with them and nobody's past behaviour is just forgotten about but the idea that it's never to late to change, or that trying to change is maybe as important as succeeding, is prevalent throughout.

Long story short, I'd recommend it for anyone looking to explore some non Ghibli anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Out next Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

fin12 wrote: »

Out next Sunday.

other seasons good ?, has not being on my radar atall

other seasons good ?, has not being on my radar atall

Yes it’s brilliant.

• Advertisement

Too hot to handle is pretty crap, The narrator is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I just finished watching Caliphate. I assume it’s been mentioned here already. What an amazing show. Scandinavian TV at its best as always.

Couldn't agree more.

Absolutely superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭This is it

I watched this last night too and i can honestly say its the saddest film I've ever seen,but it's a really good film with great acting and well made.

Watched it based on the few recommendations here. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Just a reminder Tomorrow morning we should get the first 2 parts of the Chicago Bulls doc of the golden era with Jordan. Insanely excited about this and from reviews it won't be a generic look as Jordan has admitted he will probably not come across that good .

For two decades,the footage was locked away as Jordan controlled the rights. Only a few years ago did he agree for the footage to be used in the documentary.

Trailer, the first five minutes of episode 1 and glowing reviews in that order below.

https://twitter.com/LauraRutledge/status/1251141588333531136

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-last-dance

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Rfrip wrote: »
    Had to turn off love wedding repeat after 20 mins
    It was just all so incredibly annoying and the worst acting

Rest of the movie isn’t much better either... Olivia Munn was a bizarre casting, she’s far far too attractive relative to everybody else in the film.

Just finished watching “The Last Thing He Wanted”... Very boring and confusing. Whatever parts of the plot I could follow didn’t make any sense. Disappointing because it’s a pretty loaded cast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Rfrip

fin12 wrote: »
    Too hot to handle is pretty crap, The narrator is awful.

Oh it’s total crap!

I’m really enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Watched the first 4 episodes of season 3 of Unforgotten last night, just as good as the previous 2 seasons. Surprised it doesn't get spoken about more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Watched the first 4 episodes of season 3 of Unforgotten last night, just as good as the previous 2 seasons. Surprised it doesn't get spoken about more.

I binged this. I love it. Fantastic acting & really strong storylines. Super tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Nicola Walker usually means something is worth watching.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Hang realised season three had been added, great stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Hang realised season three had been added, great stuff!!

Either had I until last night. Wish I'd spotted it earlier in the evening.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just started this today as well, not realising it was back until I saw it in another thread (I think it got missed in our daily updates!).
    Wonderful show and it really humanises the victims far more than nearly any other crime drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I went back to season one and binged S1 and S2 over two days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭try_again

mailburner wrote: »
    I watched this last night

I can only echo every single word there.
    It's as good a movie as i've seen in years

Just watched this. Great movie, wouldn't have watched it without the recommendations here so thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

try_again wrote: »
    Just watched this. Great movie, wouldn't have watched it without the recommendations here so thanks all.

sorry, what film?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    sorry, what film?

Miracle in Cell No 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Miracle in Cell No 7

I watched it there, enjoyed it but found the ending ridiculous. As in, the boat scene.

I would recommend the German film Rising high. Pretty decent film.

Anyone watch the letter for the king? I’m just finishing up the series now, thought it was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I never got to watch Life on Mars when it was originally on television so was delighted when I saw it on Netflix. It is class. Love the storylines and the music is top notch. I have one episode left and looking forward to seeing how it’s tied up. Really recommend it.

Has anyone seen Ashes to Ashes and would you recommend it? Gene Hunt is my favourite character in Life on Mars. Love the 70s nostalgia.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

joeguevara wrote: »
    I never got to watch Life on Mars when it was originally on television so was delighted when I saw it on Netflix. It is class. Love the storylines and the music is top notch. I have one episode left and looking forward to seeing how it’s tied up. Really recommend it.

Has anyone seen Ashes to Ashes and would you recommend it? Gene Hunt is my favourite character in Life on Mars. Love the 70s nostalgia.

Binged them both last week. Enoyed it. Not in the last place because of the fantastic soundtrack. Not a surprise with 2 Bowie songs as serie titles

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

if you're a big sports fan like me (ive just finished 'the test' about the Aussie cricket team on amazon prime ) then today is a big one :)

The Last Dance: Season 1
    The 10-part series, which airs on ESPN in the USA, tells the story of how Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls came to dominate and define basketball in the 1990s. The basketball star remains a sporting legend even decades after the peak of his NBA career. The documentary, directed by Jason Hehir (The Fab Five, The ’85 Bears, Andre the Giant), charts the simultaneous rise of Jordan and the NBA, boasting more than 500 hours of never-before-seen footage from the Bulls’ last championship run in the 1997-98 season.

reviews are great
    https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-last-dance/season-1?ref=hp

ep 1&2 up

Space Jam
    Bugs Bunny and his pals coax Michael Jordan out of retirement to play in a basketball game against a team of monstrous aliens to win their freedom.

Cooked with Cannabis season 1
    Chefs compete to get the hosts and special guests high on elevated cannabis cuisine with their artful use of leafy herb, THC infusions and CBD sauces.

The Midnight Gospel season 1
    Traversing trippy worlds inside his universe simulator, a space caster explores existential questions about life, death and everything in between.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you’re interested in politics in any way, I’d recommend watching Brexit - The Uncivil War. It’s a film about the run up to the referendum and how Dominic Cummings, played brilliantly by Benedict Cumberbatch, influenced the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

joeguevara wrote: »

Am I missing something? I don't see Life on Mars available on Netflix.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

peteeeed wrote: »
    if you're a big sports fan like me (ive just finished 'the test' about the Aussie cricket team on amazon prime ) then today is a big one :)

Looking forward to The Last Dance.

Would you recommend The Test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Masked Man wrote: »

Would you recommend The Test?

yes it joins the team just after the ball tampering scandal so its a team at rock bottom and the rebuilding process , i liked it a lot

Advertisement