Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched "in from the side".

Well an hour of it, it is absolutely dreadful, I am not saying the leads are wooden but every time they were on screen it was like having a chest of drawers thrown at the camera. Dialogue...horrendous, like sub Hollyoaks.

I would recommend Weekend if you want something similar that is actually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Trying to remember my favourite shows…

Breaking Bad

Happy Valley

Fargo

Dalhmer

Haunting of Hill House

Peaky Blinders (up to series 4 or 5)

Shameless USA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'm honestly not even going to try to name my favourites - it would be a top 20 at least !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't see it on the list for April but S2 of Welcome to Eden is out on April 21st. It's a ridiculous bit entertaining Spanish show about a group of young people who get a mysterious invite to a party on an island, and then they're basically drugged and kept there by some creepy welness cult. As I said, it's ridiculous but a lot of fun. I flew through S1 last year. Just check your brain at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Night Agent Renewed for Season 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

Is Outlander (Diana Gabaldon series I mean) on Netflix Ireland?

Haven't seen it on there, but maybe there's another show with the same name? Must check later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Just pointing out that I called it 😁 maybe I'll go back to it but it's very frustrating when stuff like this is renewed and then shows like Lockwood & Co are left in limbo. I guess Night Manager appeals to a much wider audience 🤷

The state of TV shows on streaming services is embarrassing at the moment. Apple are probably the only ones doing anything vaguely original at the moment, or giving shows time to find an audience, but even that will probably change as their numbers increase. Seems to be the pattern with them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

The Murdagh Murders is worth a watch. Only 3 episodes.

Big Mäck: Gangsters and Gold (2023) (German) A man is convicted of a robbery he didn't commit and spends six years in jail. Decades later, he becomes a suspect again -- but is he still innocent?..

Unstable season 1 (2023) ] A biotech genius tries to bounce back from the depths of grief with help from his son, who works to escape his dad's shadow and save the family business.

Riverdale season 7 (2023) While navigating the troubled waters of sex, romance, school and family, teen Archie and his gang become entangled in a dark Riverdale mystery.

A Quiet Place Part II (2021)

Charlie's Angels (2000)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018)

Added

• Advertisement

Would you consider Paramount + in the streamers bracket? They are kicking ass at the moment - locking down all of Taylor Sheridans shows was a huge coup for them.

Honestly I have no experience with Paramount. But I'm pretty sure those shows were all made for traditional TV, rather than being streaming shows in the sense we're talking about here.

They do seem like that. But looking at it just now paramount + is a streaming service. Ive been watching their shows via other means, but they have a list of really strong productions - just finished Mayor of Kingstown which is really exceptional drama. There was 4 other Sheridan written shows 3 of which was top notch with Yellowstone hitting it out of the park.

It almost feels like Netflix have gotten too big and are just doing quantity over quantity and they are also Global which is catering to so many markets it cant be easy to maintain the quality. But I wonder does their strategy = more profits in the international markets. A lot of big budget crappy movies they invest in probably hit big in some markets.

That's kind of my point. Paramount + is relatively new to the streaming market, so any shows they're making exclusively for streaming are still in that early phase all the streamers go through.

Prime were decent a few years ago, but have gone the way of Netflix now too. They want imitate global success from every new show. At most a new show has 28 days to became a worldwide phenomenon, or its canned. So there's some billion dollar dragons and elves s**t, and then a bunch of interchangeable men with guns, throw in some reality shows as "female skewing content" and forget about anything vaguely original or thoughtful.

‘Scott Pilgrim’ Netflix Anime Series Reunites Film’s Cast, From Michael Cera to Chris Evans

The Netflix anime series based on the “Scott Pilgrim” graphic novels is bringing back the entire main cast of the film “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World” to voice their characters in the show.

The show, which was first reported as being in development at Netflix in January 2022, has officially been ordered to series. The returning cast members are:

Michael Cera (Scott Pilgrim), Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Ramona Flowers), Satya Bhabha (Matthew Patel), Kieran Culkin (Wallace Wells), Chris Evans (Lucas Lee), Anna Kendrick (Stacey Pilgrim), Brie Larson (Envy Adams), Alison Pill (Kim Pine), Aubrey Plaza (Julie Powers), Brandon Routh (Todd Ingram), Jason Schwartzman (Gideon Graves), Johnny Simmons (Young Neil), Mark Webber (Stephen Stills), Mae Whitman (Roxie), and Ellen Wong (Knives Chau). Additional cast members will be announced at a later date.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/scott-pilgrim-netflix-anime-series-cast-michael-cera-chris-evans-1235568433/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm guessing this is just a cartoon adaptation of the book again, given, well, many of those voices' characters are ...

... not dead I guess, but uh, coined out of existence?

Good excuse to rewatch the Edgar Wright film again, though I suspect it might have aged a little.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, as someone who is squarely in the exact target audience for this, I am...confused by this. Tethering it so much to the film's choices, but then not having Wright direct just feels weird, particularly given the time since the film was made. (Although tbh Kieron Culkin, Alison Pill, Aubrey Plaza and Brandon Routh were all inspired casting choices).

I suppose I could be wrong and it might turn out that there's a broader audience for this, or maybe like Friends the film/comics have massively caught on with younger viewers and the series aims to capitalize on that...

Murder Mystery 2 (2023) Written by James Vanderbilt and directed by Kyle Newacheck, the original comedy follows an NYC cop (Adam Sandler), who finally takes his wife (Jennifer Aniston) on a long-promised European trip, only to end up prime suspects in a whodunit. Now, four years after solving their first murder mystery, Nick and Audrey Spitz (Sandler, Aniston) are full-time detectives struggling to get their private eye agency off the ground when they’re invited to celebrate the wedding of their friend the Maharaja (Adeel Akhtar) on his private island. But trouble follows the Spitzes again when the groom is kidnapped…

Kill Boksoon (2023) (Korean) At work, she's a renowned assassin. At home, she's a single mom to a teenage daughter. Killing? That's easy. It's parenting that's the hard part.

It can be hard raising a teenage girl, and when your secret day job is as a professional assassin it must be doubly so. In Byun Sung-hyun’s bubbly martial arts actioner, Jeon Do-yeon’s Gil Bok-soon is the best in the business (she brings an axe to a samurai swordfight and survives) – but in South Korea it actually is a business, with offices, training programmes and company rules to follow. Workplace politics jostles for space with bloody deaths, while Gil’s daughter has her own hidden life that complicates matters. Despite Jeon’s impressive froideur, chaos descends

Land (2021) After a tragedy, a woman retreats to an isolated cabin but lacks the skills to survive. A hunter's arrival offers hope, if she can find a way to heal.

Copycat Killer season 1 (2023) 10 Episodes (Mandarin (Guoyu)) When a spate of grisly murders throws a city into chaos, a tenacious prosecutor must brace for a cat-and-mouse game against a dangerous manipulator.

Saw (2004)

Saw II (2005)

White House Down (2013)

Traffic (2000)

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Have you no interest in Yellowjackets? That's definitely a show that could fill a The Wilds void. In saying that, it's a show that hasn't been developed primarily for streaming so backs up your initial point which I tend to agree with.

Most TV that I am watching these days is either on Apple+ or has found out way onto a streaming platform via a more traditional TV channel.

Still holding onto my Netflix sub though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What's maddening about the Yellowjackets situation is that it's a show I watched on one streaming platform, but has now moved to another streaming platform for season 2. Which is one of the big problems of the streaming era - the more companies hop on the train, the more splintered the market becomes and the more costly it is to keep up.

As unsustainable as it was, what impressed about Netflix initially was how much choice it offered for a relatively low monthly price compared to traditional TV. Now to keep up with all the shows you want to watch it'll cost you far more than a monthly traditional TV package - hence why it's often a case of having to juggle which subscription you have active at any given time, or just subscribe for a month at a time and blitz through what you want.

• Advertisement

I watched S1 of Yellowjackets and thought it was just alright. I've no real interest in watching S2 though. Apart from the obvious plane crash element, it's a completely different show from The Wilds, and for me doesn't really have any of the elements that I liked about The Wilds.

I cancelled my Netflix sub back in December (when they cancelled Warrior Nun) and I haven't really missed it. I'm not sure what to do now that Welcome to Eden is coming back next month, but at the moment I can have Disney+ (Hulu/Starz) and Apple TV for the same price as Netflix, so I'm just juggling them as and when there's something I want to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Yeah, I think we all knew this fragmented era of streaming was inevitable. Doesn't make it any easier to tolerate now that we're here.

Yeah, agree they're vastly different shows. Unlike yourself, Yellowjackets is the teen survival show more aligned with my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Started watching Back to Life

Comedy drama about a woman who gets released back into the community after 18 years in prison.

Two seasons on Netflix.

Very good so far - Reminds me of Ricky Gervais's After Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I enjoyed the first and good chemistry between the leads, out today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Great stuff. That's my Friday night "easy watching" taken care off. First one was quite good. Even though I cannot remember any of it, I remember I was fairly entertained by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭jj880

Ah forgot about Yellowjackets. Great first season. A good IPTV really is worth it these days when streaming subs start acting the bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Jaysus, that poster is an epic Photoshop Fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Cracking show with a terrific cast and interesting story

• Advertisement

Scarface (1983) In a ruthless rise to Miami drug lord, a Cuban-born gangster descends into addiction, obsession and brutality, with grisly consequences.

Thirteen (2003) Thirteen-year-old Tracy leaves her rule-following days behind when she befriends Evie, a popular classmate who introduces her to sex, drugs and crime.

The Deep House (2021) A young couple exploring a house submerged in a secluded lake discover it was the scene of many gruesome crimes - and they may be the next victims

Home (2015) When misfit alien Oh mistakenly sends a party invite to the entire galaxy, he goes on the run to avoid trouble and befriends spunky human girl Tip

Invisible season 1 (2022) (Japanese) A detective obsessed with justice receives a surprising offer of help from a mysterious figure in the criminal underworld known as "Invisible."...

Heaven and Hell: Soul Exchange season 1 (2021) (Japanese) When her soul is mysteriously switched with that of a psychopathic serial killer, an ambitious Tokyo detective watches her fate take a turn..

Beyblade Burst QuadDrive season 1 (2023) A tenacious boy hijacks the World Beyblade Battle Association's broadcast to challenge every Beyblader to battle him in the Dynamite Battle System..

Pressure Point (2021) After an Ivy League rowing team suffers a bitter loss, a Vietnam War veteran is brought in as the new coach and changes the teammates' lives forever..

Public Enemy (2019) 2 Seasons (French) After 20 years in jail, a child murderer tries to start over in an Ardennes monastery under the eye of a young inspector who's convinced he'll reoffend.

Safari (2022) A shy, young dreamer escapes the confines of his rural home to join a fearless girl on an adventure through the Kenyan wilderness..

Burlesque (2010) After leaving Iowa with stars in her eyes, Ali arrives at a Los Angeles burlesque lounge with dreams of taking the stage with her soaring voice..

Green Street (2005) After a bogus drug scandal, a Harvard newspaper editor is kicked out of school and flies to London to live with his sister and her family..

Addicted (2014) With a caring husband, two kids and a great career, Zoe has it all, until she develops an insatiable hunger for sex with other men..

House at the End of the Street (2012) Moving to a new town proves even more stressful for a teenager when she learns that the house next door was the site of a double murder...

The Rise (2012) Out for revenge, recent parolee Harvey Miller teams with his three best friends to rob the drug lord responsible for Harvey's stint behind bars.

Lust, Caution (2007) In this drama set in World War II-era Shanghai, a young actress gets caught up in a complex plot involving love, seduction and assassination.

Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) Five years after Katie's horrifying killing spree, a new family falls prey to nighttime terror when they take in their neighbor's little boy..

Noah (2014) After a pious man receives a vision of an apocalyptic flood sent by God, he begins building an ark large enough for his family and pairs of every animal.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure season 4 (2021) (Japanese) [New Episodes] Multiple generations of the Joestar family -- all with the same nickname -- confront supernatural villains through a series of time periods

Added

Advertisement