Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yeah it started out OK but just something about it, like topic not portrayed seriously enough or something, can't quite get yet what it is about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I watched Time Trap when it was first released. An interesting little film

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I liked it. Hard to believe it as a realistic telling of what it was like but I did think the acting was pretty good and it was entertaining... And also looked pretty nice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

2 Hearts (2020) In parallel love stories, the lives of college student Chris and wealthy businessman Jorge intersect in a profound twist of fate. Based on a true story

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

Beef is possibly the best thing I've ever seen on Netflix, a genuinely rare 10/10 masterpiece. Plot, acting, characters, script, soundtrack, everything is just incredible. Finished it yesterday and I've been thinking about it a lot since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭trashcan

Well. Now I don’t know what to think ! Different strokes for different folks I guess. Was toying with starting this. Not sure now.

You can choose Subtitles for those parts, which I did. Means having to stop the film though, If you don’t want superfluous subtitles on the English language, which is 99.9% of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭pavb2

It was ok but I thought the pacing was a bit off they seemed to be up and down the length of the country every few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

I watched the first episode. Almost didn’t make it till the end of it . But the ending of the episode means I’ll prob go back for another and see if it grips me .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Went to throw on Nobody. Seen it a few times, excellent show. But, the quality of it on Netflix is shocking. 4k me hole. Tried it on 2 4k tvs via the Netflix app, via PC app and browser, and PS5 and the same on them all. Other 4k content content works fine. Took the shine off of watching it so I stopped.

• Advertisement

Man Down (2017) 4 Seasons A childish idiot trapped in an adult's body, schoolteacher Dan hates his job, hates his girlfriend-less life and has good reason to fear his dad.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭jj880

Same. Maxes out at 6.94Mbps stream for me on netflix TV app. Very grainy picture also. Does your TV change to HDR mode? Mine doesn't. Strange since they're advertising it as "Ultra 4k HDR".

Stopped Nobody and switched over to Our Universe narrated by Morgan Freeman. Great quality. TV changes to Dolby Vision/Atmos mode with a 17Mbps stream. Looks and sounds excellent. Not sure what Netflix are at with this carry on.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I finished the second season of Alice In Borderland. I'm glad I caught the second season, but the pacing was all over the shop and it had the same problem as the last season of Stranger Things - there was clearly nary an editor to be seen and episodes were far longer than they needed to be. The final episode was 80 minutes and could probably have been 45 minutes without losing anything important. I'm assuming, based on the conclusion, that there won't be any more of it. Given the drop in quality of the screenwriting for the second season (despite having some very engaging individual stories) I think that's probably a good thing.

Watched the first episode and some of the second last night. Intruiging enough to bring me back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I actually have a 4K non-HDR. But I noticed that for quality it states:

On PS5: 4K Ultra HDR

On Old PC connected to 4K tv via App: HD

On New laptop (supports 4K) connected to 4K tv: HD

Read somewhere that web Netflix doesn't allow 4K. Could be wrong. Either way, it was a joke. Couldn't even make our the wifes mouth in the first kitchen scene, it was so blurred/pixelated. Dark areas are just shades of pixelated grey. Genuinely reminded me of a 720p pirate copies I used to download back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For PC you need to use Edge and have particular settings. Even then, no guarantee.

There's also the app from the MS Store but I haven't used it.

Longest Third Date (2023) When Khani and Matt met on a dating app, they had no idea COVID-19 would turn their spur-of-the-moment trip to Costa Rica into a months-long adventure..

How to Get Rich season 1 (2023) Money holds power over us -- but it doesn't have to. Finance expert Ramit Sethi works with people across the US to help them achieve their richest lives

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Caquas

I enjoyed the new Netflix doc on the Boston Marathon bombers but it left key questions unanswered.

Its focus on the extraordinary manhunt after the bombing makes for a strong narrative but it deflects from basic issues -

• why did the FBI do nothing after they interviewed the main suspect in 2011 when the FBI received information on him from the FSB (Russia's secret service).
    • Why do the FBI say the bombers acted alone although the Boston Police disagree and say the remote-controlled bombs could not have been organised by two young men acting alone? And three men were convicted of obstructing their investigation.
    • Did the bombers murder three Jewish men near Boston on September 11 2011?
    • Most troubling of all, why did the FBI shoot dead a friend of the bombers who was about to give testimony about those murders?

This year, the US Supreme Court re-instated the death sentence on the surviving bomber, reversing the decision of a Federal Appeals Court which had criticised the conduct of the trial. Of course, the Liberal Supreme Court Judges dissented. Which raises a question that is even more important than all the other questions around the Boston bombings - is a totally polarised Supreme Court still a judicial body?

But here's a question which might prove to be even more consequential - if the FSB received intel today about a planned terrorist attack in the USA, would they share it with the FBI? Or would they provide covert assistance to the terrorists?

Watch American Manhunt: The Boston Marathon BombingNetflixhttps://www.netflix.com › title

Post edited by Caquas on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Spoiler tags come in handy 😉

• Advertisement

Just watched Nobody with Bob Odenkirk. Well paced and didn't outstay it's welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

A low-key John Wick/A History of Violence trope, but with humour. Quite enjoyable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I watched the first episode of Beef. Does it get any better? I found everybody very unlikeable and the less said about the scene with the gun the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Give it three episodes, if you don’t like it by then it’s probably not for you.

It’s essentially a drama that deals with marital issues, family relationship issues and of course rage issues as the main theme.

I was expecting more comedy given Ali Wong is starring in it, but the comedy elements are more dark comedy in nature and would not exactly have you laughing out loud. More irony and tragicomedy than funny moments.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always (2023) After tragedy strikes, an unlikely young hero takes her rightful place among the Power Rangers to face off against the team's oldest archnemesis..

This 30th anniversary special will reunite some of the franchise’s most beloved Power Rangers, including original stars David Yost, Walter E Jones, and Barbara Goodson, aka the voice of Rita Repulsa.

Chimp Empire (2023) 4 Episodes A vast community of chimpanzees thrives in a forest in Uganda, navigating complex social politics, family dynamics and dangerous territory disputes.

You Don't Mess with the Zohan (2008) An Israeli counterterrorism soldier with a secretly fabulous ambition to become a Manhattan hairstylist will do anything to make his dreams come true.

Running with the Devil (2019) A meticulous drug trafficker must elude federal agents while he analyzes his boss's smuggling operation to pinpoint where things are breaking down..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I was like you, nearly bit the bullet on the first episode. It does improve. Wong’s glasses – I hate them. 

Ive done 4 episodes and am quite enjoying it. She is a real bitch in it I think. I feel sorry for the guy. Was expecting more tit for tat attacks, but maybe that’s still to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Three episodes into Messiah. Who would have thought the story of the second coming would be so well told. No idea where it’s going to end…..hooked 😋

Advertisement