Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Defo. His last few have been funny, but nothing as good as Never Scared. His last truly great outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

as mentioned above

Chris Rock: Selective Outrage (2023) Chris Rock delivers an electric stand-up set on non-racist yoga pants, spoiling his kids, the Kardashians and his thoughts on the Will Smith fiasco.

Added

mixed reviews so far

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2023/03/05/chris-rock-live-review-selective-outrage-netflix/11404363002/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,033 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To be fair, it was all over the news.

I was thinking it would make an excellent movie when reading about it and I knew very little before the verdict came out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

I thought his family background was Scottish?

He's had a team of writers working for him for many years now

• Advertisement

MH370: The Plane That Disappeared (2023) 3 Episodes In 2014, a plane with 239 people aboard vanishes from all radar. This docuseries delves into one of our greatest modern mysteries: Flight MH370.

Faraway (2023) After inheriting a house on a Croatian island, a woman embarks on a spur-of-the-moment trip that reignites her joy in life and opens a door to new love.

The Clovehitch Killer (2018) A teenager's picture-perfect family is torn apart when he uncovers unnerving evidence of a serial killer close to home..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terrier2023

it shows, nothing from his own soul unlike Hicks or Pryor proper comics !!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terrier2023

3000 years of Longing is an interesting film . Idris Elba & Tilda Swinton i dont know where you can watch it as I streamed it.

Post edited by Terrier2023 on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I enjoyed this a fair bit as well, but it's not on Netflix (or any other streaming platform); looks like it's digital rental or purchase only for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ltd440

I'd just like to thank whoever recommended Community.

Great show,with great talent behind it,Dan Harmon, Russo brothers and more household names.

I don't know how it passed me by for so long but glad I caught up with it. It starts off as an ordinary enough sitcom with dislikable characters but gets more bizarre as the seasons go on,very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

We should be getting the long-promised movie this year. It was greenlit at Peacock I think but we'll see whether it actually happens and of course it remains to be seen if it will be worth the wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Supposedly it's to start filming this summer; I'm on the fence, Season 6 already felt like a show far past its natural climax. The show always being quite meta one'd guess this movie might play with the whole "Year Later, Getting the Gang Back Together" trope, but still.

Wonder if Chevy could be persuaded to come back for a small cameo - even if he was hated by just about everyone.

You: Season 4, Part 2  (2023) A dangerously charming, intensely obsessive young man goes to extreme measures to insert himself into the lives of those he is transfixed by....

Added

Luther: The Fallen Sun (2023) Haunted by his failure to capture the cyber psychopath who now taunts him, Luther (Idris Elba) decides to break out of prison to finish the job by any means necessary. The film co-stars Cynthia Erivo, Andy Serkis and Dermot Crowley, who returns as Martin Schenk.

Outlast: Season 1 (2023) – In the extreme Alaskan wild, 16 survivalists compete for a chance to win a massive cash prize — but these lone wolves must be part of a team to win.

Have a nice day! (2023) (Spanish) A retired radio host bags groceries to earn money to attend his former employer's anniversary party, where he hopes to reunite with the love of his life.

Rana Naidu season 1 (2023) (Hindi) Rana Naidu is the go-to problem solver for the rich and famous. But when his father is released from jail, the one mess he can't handle may be his own...

Zombieland (2009) Amid a zombie apocalypse, a cautious loner joins a Twinkie-obsessed daredevil and a cunning pair of sisters on a road trip from Texas to Los Angeles....

Zombieland: Double Tap (2019) Amid family drama and flesh-eater battles, the zombie-slaying foursome returns, encountering more survivors and a new breed of the undead..

Jolly Roger (2022) Karma, romance and corruption intersect after a chance encounter between an ordinary man and two crooked cops sets off a catastrophic chain of events..

and lots more Nike fitness videos

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Welp; having had an account since 2012(!!), I've canceled Netflix. I've been on the fence of late, but it was only after chatting with my wife that we realised we really do watch nothing on the service anymore.

When we stepped back and assessed what was available? The quality really has cratered, while the constant dump-cancel cycle of anything vaguely watchable, added with the higher price-point, means I'm finally done with it. Not worth €14.99 (when I joined it was only €6.99); not when Netflix are just throwing cash around like crazy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭jj880

We're on 4k plan split over 3 houses. When they stop password sharing that'll be it for us.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I dropped to the lowest plan (before they introduced the ad-supported tier) a while back, and while it's SD-only (which should be an automatic toe-to-crotch intervention for every manager involved in approving that decision) the lower cost makes it palatable to keep for a while longer. But I must admit, where it was the film library I signed up for we're now at a point where it can be months between films arriving on Netflix I want to see (and even at that they're skewing more and more towards "I wouldn't mind watching it but I don't want to buy or rent it specifically", rather than anything particularly good). At the moment the only thing I know I want to watch on there is S2 of Alice in Borderland, though there might be a couple of other things.

I feel like it's maybe 2-3 months of drought away from me cancelling it as well, and putting it into the "I'll subscribe for a month when I want to watch something in particular" tier, alongside Prime and Disney+...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I still subscribe for family reasons (assuming password sharing doesn't stop that dead) even though I don't use it much myself anymore, but it's staggering to me that Netflix charges so much for the 4K tier when it comes as standard with the significantly cheaper Prime and Disney+ streaming options. There are lots of subscription services where 'premium' tiers feel like fairly negligible upgrades for enthusiasts or very different products / feature sets to the 'core' one, but Netflix really does scabbily hold back industry-standard features in a bid to tempt users to the next subscription tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭jj880

Looking forward to watching new Luther. There are some things worth watching but not often. Murdaughs was fascinating. Great true crime but sometimes quality randomly dips headfirst into the gutter. Watched MH370 The Plane That Disappeared last night. Found the pacing and flip flopping between grieving families and youtube conspiracy lunatics very jarring. Just didnt sit right at all.

I feel like it's maybe 2-3 months of drought away from me cancelling it as well, and putting it into the "I'll subscribe for a month when I want to watch something in particular" tier, alongside Prime and Disney+...

Yeah that's basically how we'll approach it. It's no longer a resting subscription and we will jump back in if and when there's a decent clatter if items worth watching - then cancel when they're done. It's the smarter approach in the long run when the service has basically become such a chum bucket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Was looking forward to watching World War Z but doesn't seem to be there. Anyone else having this issue?

For my sins I stuck on the Luther film and, well, my short review is "skip it, it's pish".

The longer version is: the film appears to be almost entirely tropes lazily strung together, the premise for the villain could have been good but was both under-baked in terms of selling its believability and delivered in an OTT way (not the first time Luther has had this problem but definitely one of the worst moustache-twirling villains they've had overall). Then there's the various instances of idiot-ball required for the plot to not immediately halt, and the succession of people who fall over themselves to baldly tell us that while John might be, you know, a bent copper who was finally so bent that he got sent to jail for it, but he's still actually a good bloke really and we should totally ignore all the stuff we know he's done (a mere subset of which was enough to get him convicted for a multi-year sentence in a maximum security prison) because, for some reason largely relating to everyone else in the police force being utterly useless, he's the only one who can catch the villain. Oh, and such glorious internal consistency as "we immediately establish that pretty much everyone in the prison he's sent to - where for some reason he is in the general facility, not any kind of protective custody - wants to kill him and make this clear from the outset, but also he's been able to get someone to set him up with a phone within a day or so of arriving".

Then you add in Netflix's happiness for any given production to go for baggy runtimes rather than prioritising pacing or effective storytelling and you end up with a mediocre-to-bad 90-minute film which is now stretched to 130 minutes.

About the only actual positive thing I'll say for it is that I was pleasantly surprised that sexualised violence against women (which has been relied on far too often in the series) wasn't a significant aspect of the plot here. If you think that might be damning with faint grace, you'd be right.

As a series, I would say that Luther managed 2 really good seasons at the start, a pretty good 3rd season, and the 4th & 5th seasons were a nosedive in quality. This continues that trajectory, and frankly if another film gets made I won't be watching it.

Post edited by Fysh on

Looks like it's not on Netflix - Justwatch says it's available to stream on Prime UK but not in Ireland, but the other options are all rentals or outright purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Thats a shame. I had lined this up for tonights watch, as it generally got positive reviews. Might still give it a chance, if I dont come across something more interesting.

Having slept on it I'd say it likely depends on how you feel about the TV series overall - I really liked the first two seasons, but would stop there if I was rewatching the series. If you still got enough enjoyment out of the later series you might get more out of the film.

On balance probably it's biggest problem is that the narrative overall feels like it was planned for a 4-episode season and just compressed into a film, without any significant refocusing or finessing to better suit a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Thanks. I never saw the series or never even heard of it. Anyway, I'll give the film a go tonight. I do like a serial killer crime movie.

Ah, in that case you may as well give it a go - if you like the characters and general feel of the thing, you've then got 5 seasons of the series waiting for you (though weirdly Netflix have missed a trick and let the rights to Luther go for the UK & Ireland, though if you've got access to BBC iPlayer I think it's still on there...)

I thought for the most part it was back to the old quality of Luther there was a lot to like and got engaged fast. But they aimed too high with this and fell short.

Low budget James Bond style action brings an instant emotional disconnect

arrested development leaving netflix on 24th march

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I enjoyed it and thought it was great to have Idris Elba back as Luther. So really hope that Netflix green light more Luther movies for me it's an 8/10

Advertisement