Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

43 -63% of Africans in Ireland are unemployed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

yoke wrote: »
    It’s because it’s very hard for a non-EU person to get a work permit for a sh!t paying job here in Ireland.
    There are thousands of Brazilians, Indians and Chinese manual labourers who don’t come to Ireland either because they aren’t allowed to. I’m guessing it’s the same story with Africans.
    You see Eastern Europeans at building sites because they’re allowed to work here at any job.

I’ve worked with Africans here from a skilled background and found them to be as hardworking as anyone else. If anything they were more hardworking than the rest since they had to prove themselves at every opportunity, pretty much.

No. Unfortunately there are cultures where you are not the "man" if you do labouring or manual work.........you leave it to the women. This is well known and accepted fact in relation to some African cultures. Being the man equates to being a kind of king of your own little mini dominion.............and the king shouldn't be getting his hands dirty now should he?

However, research indicates that in comparison with men, women bear a disproportionate work burden.

Quote taken from page 8 of this UN document.

Obviously not all cultures are the same and people are not homogeneous within a culture, I'm just explaining where the seed for that kind of perception comes from - it does have at least a tiny bit of validity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Boggles wrote: »
    BS thread title, but to be expected.

African unemployment is in and around 16%.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1107/1009164-esri_migrants/

If we were all to apply Racist "logic" to make our shady points, Ireland has a 35% unemployment rate.

16% is high, but considering the ones that went through the asylum process were only allowed work a number of months ago it's hardly surprising.

Facts though are not really the point of this thread.

The figure, to be fair, comes from an anti racism campaigner. So maybe it’s an anti-racism “logic” there.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭yoke

Geuze wrote: »
    Somebody told me that "blacks don't labour".

When you think of the jobs they got in GB, I see what that means.

Taxi drivers, bus drivers, etc.

I don't know why they don't go labouring.

So this is the result of their employment laws, which don’t allow manual labourers from African countries to enter the country legally.
    A person who does enter the country legally, for example doing some course in college, is far more likely to take up taxi driving to work up to 20 hours a week outside of college hours (which they’re entitled to) rather than slog it at a building site during their college hours.

It’s probably easier to get into bus driving compared to laying concrete - to suggest that Africans as a whole have an aversion to hard labour more than the average Irish person sounds disingenuous at best.

This stuff goes into the 2nd generation as well - you’re far more likely to take up bricklaying if your dad was a bricklayer, and far less likely to take it up if your dad wasn’t one. That goes for most Irish people too, not just Africans - but the African bricklayers aren’t going to be allowed to work in Ireland, so it’s far more likely that any 2nd generation Africans in Ireland are not going to be bricklayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭baldbear

Anyone got the figures on black travellers employment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Daisies wrote: »
    He has a qualification that is just below a City and Guilds. He could go into the last level of City and Guilds if it were run in the republic. We looked into him getting C&G as it would be more recognised but with Brexit etc we have no idea if the timing would.work out.
    What is that, a primary school certificate? The first level of C&G is only a basic qualification.

• Advertisement

This stuff goes into the 2nd generation as well - you’re far more likely to take up bricklaying if your dad was a bricklayer, and far less likely to take it up if your dad wasn’t one. That goes for most Irish people too, not just Africans - but the African bricklayers aren’t going to be allowed to work in Ireland, so it’s far more likely that any 2nd generation Africans in Ireland are not going to be bricklayers.

Do you think that the same inheritance pattern would hold if your father was brought up in a culture that believed that getting your hands dirty was women's' work? That that might pass through to the second generation?

Virtue signalling is all well and good, but you do have to recognize the possible roots of some things - even if they are only a small component of the issue.

(Again it is not uniform across cultures and I don't expect that it would be uniforms practices within a culture.)

It’s probably easier to get into bus driving compared to laying concrete - to suggest that Africans as a whole have an aversion to hard labour...
    Nope. You don't need a licence to work as a builder's labourer.
    Here's some of the stuff you need to be a bus driver.

He's from an ex-British colony hence the City & Guilds reference. Had he done another year in his training college (12 years ago now) he would have gotten the City & Guilds which as far as I know is recognised in Ireland. At the time he never had any desire to move out of his home country and hence when he left his college, the qualification he had was sufficient.

It's a long slog but we are getting there with work here and there. He wants to work, we want some form of stability and the ability to take a holiday without a huge financial cut. He's done a forklift driving course, a manual handling course, when we have a bit of extra cash he's looking into other courses that will help. Bottom line, he has worked his whole life and wants to continue working.

I obviously don't know your situation so I can't really advise anything with certainty but from what you said, if he is *almost* there as regards qualifications, perhaps he could go to the UK (even up across the border) to get it finished? Or it might even be more cost efficient to go back to where he trained before for a few months if that was all it was going to take and if it was cheaper to do it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The figure, to be fair, comes from an anti racism campaigner. So maybe it’s an anti-racism “logic” there.

Funny how a lot of people on this thread (and the "great replacement theory" supporting YT channel that hosts the video) took the statistics at face value. Not often they so unquestioningly believe anti-racism campaigners.

baldbear wrote: »
    Anyone got the figures on black travellers employment?
    Its at zero%, the same as their unemployment rate.

• Advertisement

I obviously don't know your situation so I can't really advise anything with certainty but from what you said, if he is *almost* there as regards qualifications, perhaps he could go to the UK (even up across the border) to get it finished? Or it might even be more cost efficient to go back to where he trained before for a few months if that was all it was going to take and if it was cheaper to do it there?
    I'm sure herself would settle in quite quickly with the African women, and the weather would be marvelous there.

recedite wrote: »
    I'm sure herself would settle in quite quickly with the African women, and sure the weather is marvelous there.

Was a genuine suggestion. Wasn't suggesting the lot of them move there, only that if it was only a short time needed in order to complete the equivalent qualification that it might be possible to go to do it where it was cheaper. Poster had already indicated or given the impression that it could not be done here so he'd be moving somewhere else temporarily anyway

Was a genuine suggestion.
    I know, but I'm just pointing out that what's good for the gander is not good for the goose. Lots of Irish people calling for Africans to come here and be given this and that, but if you suggest those Irish people could go and live in Africa for a short period of time, they wouldn't even consider it.

BTW City and Guilds used to be the normal trade qualification in Ireland before National Certificates, so lots of older guys must still have them.
    If some African was here legally and was a genuine (almost qualified) mechanic, he could sign up as an apprentice and would fly through the exams. Garages would be getting a third year apprentice for first year pay rates, which is a good deal for them. Any reasonable garage owner would probably even top up his pay as soon as they saw how good he was compared to a regular apprentice having no experience.

Was a genuine suggestion. Wasn't suggesting the lot of them move there, only that if it was only a short time needed in order to complete the equivalent qualification that it might be possible to go to do it where it was cheaper.
    Also, don't forget asylum seekers can't go back because of the war and persecution, even for a short time.
    Except for the summer holidays, of course. A quick look around Dublin airport shows large numbers of well dressed Africans (with Irish born kids in tow) on their way back home to brag about how well they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,940 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Also, don't forget asylum seekers can't go back because of the war and persecution.
    Except for the summer holidays, of course. A quick look around Dublin airport shows large numbers of well dressed Africans (with Irish born kids in tow) on their way back home to brag about how well they are doing.

How in the name of fúck do you know those people were at some stage asylum seekers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

What is that, a primary school certificate? The first level of C&G is only a basic qualification.

In his training college he earned a qualification for each year, after 4 years, similar to apprenticeship here, he would have had C&G qualification as a mechanic. Less of the derogatory nature please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'm sure herself would settle in quite quickly with the African women, and the weather would be marvelous there.

I did actually.live and work there for 2 years. How do you think we met? I'm not sure what you are insinuating but casting aspersions on me and throwing around sarky comments is unnecessary.

In his training college he earned a qualification for each year, after 4 years, similar to apprenticeship here, he would have had C&G qualification as a mechanic. Less of the derogatory nature please.
    Sorry, but what you're saying does not seem to add up.
    You're saying he is a fully qualified time-served mechanic, and they do C&G exams in his country. But he hasn't got them.
    Why doesn't he apply for an apprenticeship here?

Funny how a lot of people on this thread (and the "great replacement theory" supporting YT channel that hosts the video) took the statistics at face value. Not often they so unquestioningly believe anti-racism campaigners.

Oh they often agree on the figures but not the reason.

I did actually.live and work there for 2 years.
    Would I be right in thinking you have a well paid job working for an NGO or a government/international aid agency? Probably studied and trained hard to get it too.
    This guy you brought home is on the pigs back now. Why would he work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

31% of working age people in Ireland are "unemployed"

Add in retired people and you can say that almost 40% of all adults in the country are not registered as employed.

You can skew statistics anyway you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

an African migrant could run this country as well as your young Varadkar.

I'm sure that's true simply because that's a pretty low bar.

Darc19 wrote: »
    31% of working age people in Ireland are "unemployed"

Add in retired people and you can say that almost 40% of all adults in the country are not registered as employed.

You can skew statistics anyway you like.

Well they aren’t. That’s why you had to put it in quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Also, don't forget asylum seekers can't go back because of the war and persecution, even for a short time.

What psychic power have you used to determine that these people were or are asylum seekers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Odhinn wrote: »
    What psychic power have you used to determine that these people were or are asylum seekers?

A highly educated guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I grew up with kids in the 80s/90s that had African parents.
    They went through Irish schools and have normal jobs like the rest of us.
    I'd be optimistic that the children of our recently arrived brothers and sisters from Africa, who are going through the Irish school system will get jobs the same as the rest of us.
    Whilst I have no doubt that a tiny minority of hiring staff may have racist views, the vast amount of employers will abide with anti-discrimination legislation which has been in place for decades.
    This is a temporary cultural integration issue that time will fix.

Would I be right in thinking you have a well paid job working for an NGO or a government/international aid agency? Probably studied and trained hard to get it too.
    This guy you brought home is on the pigs back now. Why would he work?

First of all attack the post not the poster. My job was well paid by that country standards but not well paid by Irish standards. The guy I "brought home" is by no means on the pigs back, we would actually have been better off money wise staying there where we both worked but my contract was up. But hey you go ahead, make sweeping generalisations, make assumptions that are untrue because it fits with your view.

Odhinn wrote: »
    We don't have a lot of skilled labour coming from places like Somalia and Nigeria, getting visas for doing jobs that Irish people are incapable of doing.
    And when you see 4 or 5 small kids in tow, its a safe bet that they have figured out that when you want to be given a 4 or 5 bedroom house and the maximum dole payment, that's the way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Odhinn

We don't have a lot of skilled labour coming from places like Somalia and Nigeria, getting visas for doing jobs that Irish people are incapable of doing.
    And when you see 4 or 5 small kids in tow, its a safe bet that they have figured out that when you want to be given a 4 or 5 bedroom house and the maximum dole payment, that's the way to do it.

So you're just up to your usual antics and haven't a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,940 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So basically you see black people you think a certain way.

There is a word for that.

Actually there is many words for that.

Veil slipped again lad.

Advertisement