Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

43 -63% of Africans in Ireland are unemployed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I do wonder have the people in charge of migration policies here visited the countries in question or even Wikipedia searched them, afterall people make the place, you can't turn Balbriggan into a little Africa and expect it to be like a normal part of Ireland.

In lots of sub Saharan cultures it's seen as unmasculine to work. Work, even the extremely physical type, is a womanly pursuit. You won't see many many men picking crops in the fields, carrying water on their heads or working in what few factories there are. And that's the case in most of the continent south of Morocco, Egypt etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Im not racist, i just hate all sponging bastards equally, whatever colour, ethnicity(cough) they may be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

These people are the product of a poor environment. There's nothing wrong with them and I can prove it. I bet that with the right encouragement and surroundings, an African migrant could run this country as well as your young Varadkar.

So you're saying an african could make a right cnut of the place as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My neighbours are Nigerian, they are in Ireland for about 5 years.

The wife works at a low skilled manual job, goes off out to work each day to work hard and earn a crust.

The husband says he is a qualified Civil Engineer - currently unemployed. As i am also an engineer he was asking me about the how do i find the jobs market here. I told him i find it very busy at the moment. He went on to say how he has applied for some jobs but heard nothing back, i asked him did he go and get his membership of Engineers Ireland as this would help give employers some surity of his qualifications and skills. He said he would look into it, i asked him would he consider taking up lower skilled work until he got his engineers ireland membership sorted and he was insulted that i suggest such a thing. I told him its easier to get a better job, when your in a job as employers will look on you more favorably. He wouldnt hear any of it . 5 years in the country and content to laze about at home all day, doesnt leave the house only to pick up the kids from school.

Its too easy for him, you can tell he is quite content to live off the state handouts for the rest of his days. Much like some of the Irish themselves. The system itself is broken.

How is it best to fix this ?

In my opinion for everybody in the state, supports for unemployment should mostly be a short term thing and should decrease with time if you are not upskilling and not taking up employment. When you initially need this benefit it should be say 80% of your previous wage (Capped at a sensible limit) and should decline each month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

These people are the product of a poor environment. There's nothing wrong with them and I can prove it. I bet that with the right encouragement and surroundings, an African migrant could run this country as well as your young Varadkar.

Hi Leo. Welcome to Boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

The wife works at a low skilled manual job, goes off out to work each day to work hard and earn a crust.

The husband says he is a qualified Civil Engineer - currently unemployed. As i am also an engineer he was asking me about the how do i find the jobs market here. I told him i find it very busy at the moment. He went on to say how he has applied for some jobs but heard nothing back, i asked him did he go and get his membership of Engineers Ireland as this would help give employers some surity of his qualifications and skills. He said he would look into it, i asked him would he consider taking up lower skilled work until he got his engineers ireland membership sorted and he was insulted that i suggest such a thing. I told him its easier to get a better job, when your in a job as employers will look on you more favorably. He wouldnt hear any of it . 5 years in the country and content to laze about at home all day, doesnt leave the house only to pick up the kids from school.

Its too easy for him, you can tell he is quite content to live off the state handouts for the rest of his days. Much like some of the Irish themselves. The system itself is broken.

In my opinion for everybody in the state, supports for unemployment should mostly be a short term thing and should decrease with time if you are not upskilling and not taking up employment. When you initially need this benefit it should be say 80% of your previous wage (Capped at a sensible limit) and should decline each month.

Good example. That is the type of crap that makes the rest of us sick to the stomach. Lazy git. Just like the thousands of our own wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

sabat wrote: »
    What percentage on top of this are in government funded workfare schemes like NGOs or in interminable adult education courses with little practical benefit? How many Africans are genuine net contributors to the exchequer once all the freebies are taken out of the equation? A controversial guesstimate- no more than a couple of hundred.

Nonsense. A decent portion of taxi drivers in Dublin are African, plenty of bus drivers too. There are plenty African net contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Don't give them permanent residency.
    They need to reapply every X years.

If they haven't done a tap of work since then, back they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Nonsense. A decent portion of taxi drivers in Dublin are African, plenty of bus drivers too. There are plenty African net contributors.

It's rare to use the word "decent" and "taxi driver" in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The usual bet Mortimer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I've worked with first gen Nigerian immigrants, mainly older like 30+. Great for large organisation's diversity statistics. Not so good for the people working with them. Depends on the job I suppose but their work ethic is terrible, lack of education and experience is abundantly apparent and attitude can be awful too.

Him being African is irrelevant really. The issue is people like this, whatever ethnicity, being allowed to remain on benefits beyond a reasonable period. Half the dole/jobseekers benefit for those claiming for more than 2 years, who haven’t contributed, and you’d sort out a lot of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

cgcsb wrote: »
    In lots of sub Saharan cultures it's seen as unmasculine to work. Work, even the extremely physical type, is a womanly pursuit. You won't see many many men picking crops in the fields, carrying water on their heads or working in what few factories there are. And that's the case in most of the continent south of Morocco, Egypt etc
    ONS data from the uk show Bangladeshi women earn more than their counterparts, at the very bottom of the p/hr rate scale. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48919813

Only Indian & Chinese (semi-superpowers) outperform the natives (white british) for p/hr rates, but have much larger pay gender gaps.

Afro-caribbean are second lowest on average with no male earning advantage. Much of the lower paid unskilled work will decimated in the coming years, thanks to automaiton. So worth considering 'quality/skill' of any work also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Hang on, does this mean Mary O’Rourke was wrong back in 2006?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And why the fcuk are we importing these people in here? I mean, they aren’t part of the EU so it’s not free movement and Ireland never had any colonies- I can only conclude they are coming in here via the CTA fro the uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Nonsense. A decent portion of taxi drivers in Dublin are African, plenty of bus drivers too.
    A portion (130) of (taxi) drivers are/were also discovered to be using marriages of convenience.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/taxi-drivers-sham-marriage-ireland-14098289
    130 taxi drivers or licence applicants were suspected of being in Ireland illegally by gardai as part of Operation Vantage, which was set up to target sham marriages.
    With the grooms coming mainly from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.

A portion (130) of (taxi) drivers are/were also discovered to be using marriages of convenience.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/taxi-drivers-sham-marriage-ireland-14098289 With the grooms coming mainly from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.

Damn those Africans; coming over here and not marrying our women and not taking our jobs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

road_high wrote: »
    And why the fcuk are we importing these people in here? I mean, they aren’t part of the EU so it’s not free movement and Ireland never had any colonies- I can only conclude they are coming in here via the CTA fro the uk?

To replace these:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/two-thirds-of-royal-college-of-surgeons-graduates-to-leave-ireland-1.3111310

No that sponger will never work- probably not even a real engineer and highly unlikely to be at the level required in Ireland/Europe.
    How these spongers get in here is a mystery to me but appears we are a magnet:total soft touch for them. Huge difference with most Asian migrants who are great workers, often very career and education focused

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fixed your vid, you had extra characters in the youtube link so it wouldn't play

• Advertisement

Dr Ebun Joseph talked to Ray D'Arcy on Tuesday to tell him about her research on African unemployment in Ireland. Dr. Joseph explained that the unemployment rate for Africans in Ireland is between 43% and 63%

And this was because Irish people are racist

Surprise surprise

If it’s alleged “racism” I’d be interested to hear the comparison with Asian immigrants for unemployment

JamBur wrote: »
    The company I work in hires contract staff in quite regularly. There is often African lads come in. They require a lot of extra attention and training.

Most have never been in a factory environment before. Unfortunately some of them react negatively to this extra attention. They perceive it as being due to their colour. I cannot emphasize enough that it is ability. not race that necessitates the extra attention. Before I would have helped out with training them up, but now Ill stay away from it.

Ah yea the aul racism card- works a treat every time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

And this was because Irish people are racist

A large proportion of Irish people are racist. I understand that platforms like boards attracts a much higher rate of racists because they can spout their hate anonymously but even taking this into consideration there are a lot of racist Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

How do non-EU nationals get a visa to work if they have no qualifications?
    Aren't they simply here illegally and not entitled to social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    A large proportion of Irish people are racist. I understand that platforms like boards attracts a much higher rate of racists because they can spout their hate anonymously but even taking this into consideration there are a lot of racist Irish people.

Dont agree. My opinion good, decent hard working people respect other good, decent hard working people. Colour doesnt come into it for me. And most others. I find the most rascist irish are the bums and wasters who love nothing better than moaning about everything while doing nothing. The rest of us are too busy and get on with our lives.

No doubt that is true, but it's also unlikely racism is the main reason people can't find a job. A boss doesn't care who they hire provided they make money for the company imo.

There is less and less unskilled work out there, rising unskilled unemployment seems inevitable.

Rodin wrote: »
    How do non-EU nationals get a visa to work if they have no qualifications?
    Aren't they simply here illegally and not entitled to social welfare?

Because we are a soft touch with a ridiculously easy open door.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I wonder how many of of the 43 to 63 percent are refugees & prohibited from working by our laws?

It’s not racism. Couldn’t care less what or who they are. But as a hardworking taxpayer I despair when I see one section doing sweet eff all and simply leaching off the rest of us- that to me is simply unjust and very disrespectful to the rest of us who work honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Any chance of providing some sources that there are more black people than white people in those three areas?
    Adamstown is about 70% non nationals 30% Irish.

Advertisement