Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

43 -63% of Africans in Ireland are unemployed

Options
  • 05-09-2019 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Dr Ebun Joseph talked to Ray D'Arcy on Tuesday to tell him about her research on African unemployment in Ireland. Dr. Joseph explained that the unemployment rate for Africans in Ireland is between 43% and 63%

And this was because Irish people are racist

Surprise surprise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

What % of them have actually applied for a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

In fairness we're not above a bit of, let's call it stereotyping.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭JamBur

The company I work in hires contract staff in quite regularly. There is often African lads come in. They require a lot of extra attention and training.

Most have never been in a factory environment before. Unfortunately some of them react negatively to this extra attention. They perceive it as being due to their colour. I cannot emphasize enough that it is ability. not race that necessitates the extra attention. Before I would have helped out with training them up, but now Ill stay away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Crazy figures. Still a bit to go to reach the disgustingly grotesque native Irish traveller figures for unemployment. Wasters.

JamBur wrote: »
    The company I work in hires contract staff in quite regularly. There is often African lads come in. They require a lot of extra attention and training.

Most have never been in a factory environment before. Unfortunately some of them react negatively to this extra attention. They perceive it as being due to their colour. I cannot emphasize enough that it is ability. not race that necessitates the extra attention. Before I would have helped out with training them up, but now Ill stay away from it.

What is wrong with these people. Seem to be spoiling for an argument and are hyper sensitive. I don't blame you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭JamBur

What is wrong with these people. Seem to be spoiling for an argument andare hyper sensitive. I don't blame you.

Poor education, different work culture, no relevant experience, cultural and language barriers............. It cant be easy

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Crazy figures. Still a bit to go to reach the disgustingly grotesque native Irish traveller figures for unemployment. Wasters.

99.9% would take some doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

What % of those eligible and able to work are unemployed?

Be interesting to know how many children are included in those figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

43 - 63% is a ludicrously wide estimation.

Presumably this refers to people who are eligible to work.

As for the racist Irish angle well just read this forum for proof. Where is Dr Brown these days?

Poor education, different work culture, no relevant experience, cultural and language barriers............. It cant be easy

Yea cant be easy to employ them.

• Advertisement

What will happen to some of these areas which are predominantly black in west Dublin - Ongar, Tyrellstown and Adamstowm with unemployment figures like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Dr Ebun Joseph talked to Ray D'Arcy on Tuesday to tell him about her research on African unemployment in Ireland. Dr. Joseph explained that the unemployment rate for Africans in Ireland is between 43% and 63%

And this was because Irish people are racist

Surprise surprise

Linky no worky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

What will happen to some of these areas which are predominantly black in west Dublin - Ongar, Tyrellstown and Adamstowm with unemployment figures like that?

They will turn into no-go areas with high crime and low property prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Economic black spots

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

What percentage on top of this are in government funded workfare schemes like NGOs or in interminable adult education courses with little practical benefit? How many Africans are genuine net contributors to the exchequer once all the freebies are taken out of the equation? A controversial guesstimate- no more than a couple of hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Which means employers could tap into a lot of labor fast, potentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Ghettos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Economic black spots
    vriesmays wrote: »

I think you mean gentrification hot spots in 2030

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rocksolidfat

Any chance of providing some sources that there are more black people than white people in those three areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Hootanany wrote: »
    Linky no worky

Must be an African link

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

My partner is a qualified mechanic, from a country where English is a national language and he has had a nightmare trying to find work that will give him a contract. Many garages have "employed" him while continuing to look for another mechanic and then telling him he is surplus to requirements. He has done trial periods where they refused to pay him at the end, he has worked as the only mechanic in a garage who refused to pay him minimum wage or give him any form of contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Some already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

These people are the product of a poor environment. There's nothing wrong with them and I can prove it. I bet that with the right encouragement and surroundings, an African migrant could run this country as well as your young Varadkar.

Daisies wrote: »
    My partner is a qualified mechanic, from a country where English is a national language and he has had a nightmare trying to find work that will give him a contract. Many garages have "employed" him while continuing to look for another mechanic and then telling him he is surplus to requirements. He has done trial periods where they refused to pay him at the end, he has worked as the only mechanic in a garage who refused to pay him minimum wage or give him any form of contract.

Hypercasualization.

Hypercasualization.

Probably doesn't know a wishbone from a funny bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It might be a bit much to expect some people here to read actual academic research before they launch into airing their established biases, but for what it’s worth:

http://www.ucd.ie/geary/static/publications/workingpapers/gearywp201816.pdf

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Daisies wrote: »

Could it be that he's not very good at being a mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

43 - 63% of this thread is racist.

• Advertisement

I would say there is a tiny percentage of rascists on here but a very low tolerance of people of any colour who wont wont work or refuse to work with no legitimate reasson bar they just dont want to.

Advertisement