Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

43 -63% of Africans in Ireland are unemployed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

What will happen to some of these areas which are predominantly black in west Dublin - Ongar, Tyrellstown and Adamstowm with unemployment figures like that?

They'll make Harlem look like Midtown Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    That Dr Ebun Joseph one was on VM's Tonight show sitting beside Niall Boylan.
    Niall said something in relation to the subject which was factual and she persisted in throwing out 'you're racist' at him quite a few times.

Total headbanger.

I would say there is a tiny percentage of rascists on here but a very low tolerance of people of any colour who wont wont work or refuse to work with no legitimate reasson bar they just dont want to.

If a Lefty Politician told you all you had to do was to come to Ireland and you'd be given a free house, €5,000 "emergency money" and €203.00 a week for the rest of your life would you bother getting a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rocksolidfat

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    They'll make Harlem look like Midtown Manhattan.

I'm wondering if anyone is going to provide the some statistical facts that show Tyrrellstown, Ongar and Adamstown have more black people than white people, or that the latter of the three is 70% foreign national?

I'm actually interested to see what the breakdown is but am at my third time of asking now, and it's beginning to look like those claiming these things might not have any actual evidence to back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Most Africans in Ireland either work or want to work, they are OK. Its not easy living in a country so far away, but the extreme poverty in some places in Africa would amaze some of the snowflakes.

• Advertisement

Dr Ebun Joseph talked to Ray D'Arcy on Tuesday to tell him about her research on African unemployment in Ireland. Dr. Joseph explained that the unemployment rate for Africans in Ireland is between 43% and 63%

And this was because Irish people are racist

Surprise surprise

How many of these are recent arrivals and how many are from when the ones that came in the 90s when the Mary's invited them in?

If the majority that figure is the group that came in the 90s that's a very damning statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Most Africans in Ireland either work or want to work, they are OK. Its not easy living in a country so far away, but the extreme poverty in some places in Africa would amaze some of the snowflakes.

Most of them are doctors or engineers. **** offffffffff will ya. Bunch of scamming *****

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I guess that figure is including migrants in the country who can't work due to restrictions - some makey uppy figures to incite the SJW's

I was made redundant a few months ago and 2 weeks after signing on I was enrolled in some thing to help you find work - like I didn't know how to find a job (2 weeks later I had a job, so never bothered with it).
    Dunno how anyone can continue claiming welfare for years and have no repercussions be they black, white or whatever colour (and I know one person like that - penalties be fecked he still won't work). Every year of non working should decrease welfare payments for any fit and able adult - can't find a job we'll find something for you to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I'm wondering if anyone is going to provide the some statistical facts that show Tyrrellstown, Ongar and Adamstown have more black people than white people, or that the latter of the three is 70% foreign national?

I'm actually interested to see what the breakdown is but am at my third time of asking now, and it's beginning to look like those claiming these things might not have any actual evidence to back them up.

No evidence only my two eyes.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    If a Lefty Politician told you all you had to do was to come to Ireland and you'd be given a free house, €5,000 "emergency money" and €203.00 a week for the rest of your life would you bother getting a job?

I would yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I would yes.

Add in all the benefits - free health care, free housing blah blah and you aren't much worse off than a lot of people going out to work every day - which suits a certain cohort of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

These people are the product of a poor environment. There's nothing wrong with them and I can prove it. I bet that with the right encouragement and surroundings, an African migrant could run this country as well as your young Varadkar.

People make an Environment, An Environment doesnt make the People.
    See Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. South Africa, Certain parts of Sweden. It goes both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Hang on, does this mean Mary O’Rourke was wrong back in 2006?

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

fritzelly wrote: »
    Add in all the benefits - free health care, free housing blah blah and you aren't much worse off than a lot of people going out to work every day - which suits a certain cohort of people

Yes, lazy, free loading, parasites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I would like to give everyone a chance. All cultures have people that can integrate into society and thrive.
    I think however what really worries me is if African people are so great and industrious why is there not one part of it that would be comfortable to live in for the average person.
    Even with all the aid that gets divided up and disappeared.
    Why is there war zones in any country that gives them a chance to come in and be part of a better functioning country?
    I know somebody will come on here and say they were colonized and that is the cause of the poverty there but America and Ireland and countless other countries and cultures were colonized and managed to turn things around.

I don’t think it makes me racist to say I’d love everybody in the world to get a fair shake of the dice, I’d love everybody to get the same opportunity but if you want to move to a functioning society from a broken one, you should have to prove you are there to take part not take out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

fritzelly wrote: »
    I was made redundant a few months ago and 2 weeks after signing on I was enrolled in some thing to help you find work - like I didn't know how to find a job (2 weeks later I had a job, so never bothered with it).
    Dunno how anyone can continue claiming welfare for years and have no repercussions be they black, white or whatever colour (and I know one person like that - penalties be fecked he still won't work). Every year of non working should decrease welfare payments for any fit and able adult - can't find a job we'll find something for you to do!

The Social Welfare Office/Intreo/WTF they rebranded it to won't bother troublesome people, they don't want the hassle. This type of person is overrepresented among long term dole claimants so by and large they get left alone. If they get challenged they're liable to respond with anything from discrimination complaints and threats to abduction and kneecapping (as Martin "The General" Cahill had done to the man who stopped his dole). The Social instead put all their effort into hassling "harmless" people like you to chase their "activation" stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Funny, the stats tell the exact opposite picture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It might be a bit much to expect some people here to read actual academic research before they launch into airing their established biases, but for what it’s worth:

http://www.ucd.ie/geary/static/publications/workingpapers/gearywp201816.pdf
    This paper has two explanations.
    1. The Irish are racists.
    Black African national-ethnic group suffers particular labour market disadvantages and that this group is much more likely than either Irish natives or other immigrant groups to have experienced discrimination while looking for work. Black Africans were about 7 times more likely to report having experience discrimination while looking for work than their Irish counterparts
    So this is the Black Africans themselves reporting the reason for their dole scrounging is racism by employers. Enough said.

2. The other reason given is that most of them serve their time in DP centres, where they learn how to bum around doing absolutely nothing for years on end. When they finally get released into society they have become equivalent to long term unemployed.

While I agree with this, there is also the fact that some people take to that lifestyle very easily. Maybe a bit too easily. And after all, if you come from a shíthole country lacking any kind of social welfare, dole money for life plus a free house must seem like a dream come true, even if you have to hang around waiting a few years for it.
    The obvious solution then, is to deport them back to Africa on day one.
    Lets face it, they are not fleeing wars, they are just looking for an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I've yet to see an African doing a bit of hard graft on a building site over here, there's plenty of eastern Europeans working hard , so why can't they?? Have loads of kids , claim everything sure what would you need to work for. The only time I ever claimed was for a year , due to problems with my stomach , the social cut me off then as I hadn't paid enough stamps. I had letters for my doctor saying I wasn't able to work but because I was living at home they said my dad could support me. The systems a joke here, youre nearly better off being a bum or a sponger in this country !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,268 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Daisies wrote: »
    He has a qualification that is just below a City and Guilds. He could go into the last level of City and Guilds if it were run in the republic. We looked into him getting C&G as it would be more recognised but with Brexit etc we have no idea if the timing would.work out.

Thanks for responding. Genuine question though as I am interested. I googled City and Guilds and it appears to be a UK based thing. Is it equivalent to an Irish apprenticeship or is it a kind of textbook thing? If a person lived in England and got themselves this City and Guilds qualification is it accepted as equal to an apprenticeship here in Ireland or do mechanics in the UK actually do an apprenticeship similar to here (Their apprenticeship might be the City and Guilds things!). If it is, then his solution is to either finish it out or finish out an apprenticeship in Ireland. Maybe his previous qualifications might allow him to leapfrog to the final year or something.

There were stories for example of foreign doctors getting accredited here and then it being realized that they couldn't do things like insert a simple IV. Because in the countries they qualified in, they fulfilled all of their criteria, but it was a different system and I am guessing that there would have been an additional period of training there for them to go through had they started work there...........but when they start in Ireland there was an assumption that they'd have received that training because the Irish system requires it before awarding the degree. I googled and I found this example. I'm not saying your partner is not good - just saying that employers might not want to take him on without fully accredited (or accepted in Ireland as equivalent) papers....maybe someone could sue them at some stage over something down the line and it could be found that their employee who did some work technically wasn't "qualified".

Edit: I found this . I guess the question remains on whether this is directly and easily transferable to this Irish system? And if it is required as a minimum then I suppose it makes sense and is fair enough that they might require him to have it! It wouldn't be fair to be allowing people in from outside on lesser qualifications and insiting on Irish trained people, doing the same job, having to jump through more hoops

• Registered Users Posts: 39,943 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

BS thread title, but to be expected.

African unemployment is in and around 16%.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1107/1009164-esri_migrants/
    The new study from the Economic and Social Research Institute has examined how well migrants are settling in the country.

It has found that 16% of Africans living in Ireland are out of work

If we were all to apply Racist "logic" to make our shady points, Ireland has a 35% unemployment rate.

16% is high, but considering the ones that went through the asylum process were only allowed work a number of months ago it's hardly surprising.

Facts though are not really the point of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

have interviewed quite a few and found mostly their English is quite poor in comparison to other foreign nationals.

Have to go with the best for the job don't ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,943 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    have interviewed quite a few and found mostly their English is quite poor in comparison to other foreign nationals.

Have to go with the best for the job don't ya?

What industry?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Thanks for responding. Genuine question though as I am interested. I googled City and Guilds and it appears to be a UK based thing. Is it equivalent to an Irish apprenticeship or is it a kind of textbook thing? If a person lived in England and got themselves this City and Guilds qualification is it accepted as equal to an apprenticeship here in Ireland or do mechanics in the UK actually do an apprenticeship similar to here (Their apprenticeship might be the City and Guilds things!). If it is, then his solution is to either finish it out or finish out an apprenticeship in Ireland. Maybe his previous qualifications might allow him to leapfrog to the final year or something.

Edit: I found this . I guess the question remains on whether this is directly and easily transferable to this Irish system? And if it is required as a minimum then I suppose it makes sense and is fair enough that they might require him to have it! It wouldn't be fair to be allowing people in from outside on lesser qualifications and insiting on Irish trained people, doing the same job, having to jump through more hoops

He's from an ex-British colony hence the City & Guilds reference. Had he done another year in his training college (12 years ago now) he would have gotten the City & Guilds which as far as I know is recognised in Ireland. At the time he never had any desire to move out of his home country and hence when he left his college, the qualification he had was sufficient.

It's a long slog but we are getting there with work here and there. He wants to work, we want some form of stability and the ability to take a holiday without a huge financial cut. He's done a forklift driving course, a manual handling course, when we have a bit of extra cash he's looking into other courses that will help. Bottom line, he has worked his whole life and wants to continue working.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭yoke

batman_oh wrote: »
    Funny I was thinking the same yesterday. There are 4 massive building sites right beside where I work in the city centre. I walk past lots of the builders every day with they are on lunch/starting work. None are African it seems

It’s because it’s very hard for a non-EU person to get a work permit for a sh!t paying job here in Ireland.
    There are thousands of Brazilians, Indians and Chinese manual labourers who don’t come to Ireland either because they aren’t allowed to. I’m guessing it’s the same story with Africans.
    You see Eastern Europeans at building sites because they’re allowed to work here at any job.

I’ve worked with Africans here from a skilled background and found them to be as hardworking as anyone else. If anything they were more hardworking than the rest since they had to prove themselves at every opportunity, pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I've yet to see an African doing a bit of hard graft on a building site over here, there's plenty of eastern Europeans working hard , so why can't they??

Somebody told me that "blacks don't labour".

When you think of the jobs they got in GB, I see what that means.

Taxi drivers, bus drivers, etc.

I don't know why they don't go labouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What will happen to some of these areas which are predominantly black in west Dublin - Ongar, Tyrellstown and Adamstowm with unemployment figures like that?
    I was in Tyrrelstown last week. I took 180 photos, mostly of streets and buildings. I probably saw hundreds of people, but only noticed two black people. Just in case I was mistaken, I checked the photos.

* 5 black
    * 21 non-black
    * 3 unknown (distant, back of head, etc.)

I was in Ongar a few months ago. I don't think I saw any black people.

I haven't been to Adamstown in a few years, but I don't think I saw any black people.

Might you be imagining there are more black people in these locations than are actually there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

JamBur wrote:
    Poor education, different work culture, no relevant experience, cultural and language barriers............. It cant be easy

Irish got on with it in America, England,Canada,Oz, etc etc no excuses pls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

Exactly what had been happening as reported on media

Advertisement