Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,667 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Iggy Pop filling the Patti Smith slot from last year then.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Granite Head

Can someone please help me: Did Iggy Pop play Kilmainham Hospital in the 90's? I recall seeing him at an indoor gig there but a quick google is not throwing up any dates. Pretty sure it was not the 2008 gig.

PS going to ATN so happy with this first announcement.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

eplady2017 wrote: »
    Pet Shop Boys have just released their European tour dates. No Irish dates. Could they be Waterford bound???

A stupidly good and fun live act. First time I saw them had zero expectations of enjoying it and had a great time.

Iggy Pop, saw him a few years ago and found long stretches of it boring. Lot's of energy sure, but sometimes too much of that and not enough of the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Hopefully he does lots of Stooges stuff. Seems like he does sometimes, going by his past setlists.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iggy-pop/2019/marktplatz-lorrach-germany-539edfb1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

No matter what - Iggy will be less drab than the national were anyway, I near fell asleep during them this year.

• Advertisement

Wonder will they have any more announcements between now and Christmas? Or will next one be Spring?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    it's Iggy Pop

Iggy pop would be nice as a random sunday afternoon throwback booking. Id be a bit worried if they are leading with him as an announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No matter what - Iggy will be less drab than the national were anyway, I near fell asleep during them this year.

They are dreadful.
    Can someone please help me: Did Iggy Pop play Kilmainham Hospital in the 90's? I recall seeing him at an indoor gig there but a quick google is not throwing up any dates. Pretty sure it was not the 2008 gig.

He played The Stadium around then. I remember because my old man went and I was very jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The Nal wrote: »
    Iggy is a great booking

We will return for our Third Chapter next year, for a weekend of freedom, inspiration and escapism through music, spoken word, comedy, theatre, debate, art, workshops, feasts of food and bespoke cocktails. ������☀️��

We are delighted to welcome the godfather of punk to Curraghmore and back to Ireland for his first performance here in 12 years.

‘There is extreme, there is legendary — and then there is Iggy Pop’ Rolling Stone

Iggy Pop is the first of many to be announced in the new year, across All Together Now's 16 stages of music, theatre, comedy, spoken word & more.

Widely acknowledged as one of the most dynamic stage performers of all time, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame legend Iggy Pop has been described as ‘the archetypal cult hero, the primaeval punk, the quintessential rock star who preceded rock 'n' roll’ (SPIN) and his recently released studio album Free are just some of the highlights of an epic career filled with critical acclaim and fanatic cult success.

He was EP I'm certain (?) but was that in 2007???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

tonc76 wrote: »

Kilmainham 2008 with The Stooges. Great gig. One of the best I've seen. Ron and Scott Asheton both alive and well and in the band that day and Mike Watt from The Minutemen on bass.

• Advertisement

Iggy pop would be nice as a random sunday afternoon throwback booking. Id be a bit worried if they are leading with him as an announcement

Say he will be headliner if not top headliner one of nights by way they're promoting it. Don't think someone like Iggy Pop would be Sunday afternoon slot for a festival size of ATN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

They are dreadful.

I'm not a fan at all, but was there with a big fan of theirs, they thought it was absolute shite. The misery speech at the start didn't half help kill the crowd either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rubick

Can anyone remember when last year's festival tickets all sold out?
    Tempted to grab some but sort of want to wait until after the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

tonc76 wrote: »

Yep he was, I was there, an excellent booking. ;)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

rubick wrote: »

Start of March afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Tbf at a festival where probably less than 30% (I'm probably even being generous with that number) could name more than 3 of your songs, it's expecting a lot for it to be a great gig. I've seen The National play live like 3 times now, always came away thinking they are a great live band. Though by the sheer nature of going to see them play 3 times you can rightly assume I'm a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

rubick wrote: »

They sold out I think in February of last year? Well before the festival anyway.
    First edition (2018) didn't sell out.

Regardless of the issues last year, I wouldn't be surprised if it sold out again and sooner than last year too. The interest in the festival seems high still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Yep he was, I was there, an excellent booking. ;)

wow time is passing too quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Tbf at a festival where probably less than 30% (I'm probably even being generous with that number) could name more than 3 of your songs, it's expecting a lot for it to be a great gig. I've seen The National play live like 3 times now, always came away thinking they are a great live band. Though by the sheer nature of going to see them play 3 times you can rightly assume I'm a fan.

I can't speak for the national because I missed them (on purpose, I find them boring) but over the years I've seen plenty of acts that I only half knew play me off my socks. Stage presence, atmosphere, crowd engagement all play a huge part in a "great gig". Example from last year would be Loyle Carner. Knew a couple of songs, not many and he absolutely played the roof (canvas?) off the place.

If it were true that it can't be a great gig without people knowing your songs, how do people ever get to know a band? I've stumbled across so many great acts that I didn't know at festivals, who gave an amazing show and I am now a fan of.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They are dreadful.

They weren't great, but they're getting such criticism here I feel I should speak up for them a little bit. I like it when a festival ends with a more mellow band and for me, being old and tired, the National were a good way to finish the weekend.
    Eod100 wrote: »
    Say he will be headliner if not top headliner one of nights by way they're promoting it. Don't think someone like Iggy Pop would be Sunday afternoon slot for a festival size of ATN.

Undoubtedly he will be a headliner. I suppose to clarify, I personally would like to see him as a middle of the day legacy act, but I don't rate him as a headliner. He's not an offensive booking, but underwhelming if this is the "anchor" booking for the festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I can't speak for the national because I missed them (on purpose, I find them boring) but over the years I've seen plenty of acts that I only half knew play me off my socks. Stage presence, atmosphere, crowd engagement all play a huge part in a "great gig". Example from last year would be Loyle Carner. Knew a couple of songs, not many and he absolutely played the roof (canvas?) off the place.

If it were true that it can't be a great gig without people knowing your songs, how do people ever get to know a band? I've stumbled across so many great acts that I didn't know at festivals, who gave an amazing show and I am now a fan of.

That might be true of certain bands/performers and certain festivals.

But being real about it, a relatively new festival in Waterford and a band like The National (melancholic, introspective ect.) is an awful combination, and never stood a chance to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Who were you expecting?

it must be said my hopes for ATN is that it turns into Ireland's answer to Greenman Fest in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Was my second time seeing them (first time paying attention), and I was impressed (and that was immediately after The Good, the bad and the Queen, one of the best gigs I've ever seen , so the standard had been set high).
    Saw them from a distance at Longitude in 2016 and thought they were dull as dish water, so maybe you need to be in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I thought The National were ****ing great.
    Everyone with me, very casual fans, seemed to love it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

as for Iggy Pop, bleh.

I'll check out his new album, but he's basically been trading off a few songs from the 70s for decades now. I'll almost certainly be elsewhere when he plays.

hopefully he's in the same slot as Patti Smith, ie. a "headliner" but followed by another "headliner".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Was my second time seeing them (first time paying attention), and I was impressed (and that was immediately after The Good, the bad and the Queen, one of the best gigs I've ever seen , so the standard had been set high).
    Saw them from a distance at Longitude in 2016 and thought they were dull as dish water, so maybe you need to be in the mood.

I'm a big fan of the National. Have seen them 8 or 9 times at this stage, including headline shows, festivals slots, intimate shows, etc. (fwiw, they are at their best indoors and small - Olympia in 2010ish and Cork Opera House were excellent).

That Longitude show was, by a country mile, the worst I have seen them and one of the worst headline shows of any band I have ever seen. They were also dreadful at Primavera in 2018.

But, beyond that, I generally find them reliable and solid at worst and usually very engaging. I thought they were excellent at ATN, I really liked the addition of all the new vocalists, and it reinvigorated my interest in them as a live prospect - I was planning on attending the festival regardless and a few months beforehand, had decided to skip them if they clashed. One of my favourites or not, I have seen them a lot.

I guess if people don't like them, it's not necessarily going to turn your view but our group of 9/10 included a few sceptics who were impressed even if they don't plan on listening ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Said it last year leaving and I'll say it again now..

.. I didn't see as much music as I'd like at ATN this year but they were 3 extremely solid headliners IMO.

Who were you expecting?

It's not that I was expecting anyone in particular and am disappointed that they weren't booked. Nor is it that I have any major objections to Iggy. It's just a little underwhelming is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

It's not that I was expecting anyone in particular and am disappointed that they weren't booked. Nor is it that I have any major objections to Iggy. It's just a little underwhelming is all.

Fair. I would expect and electronic headliner and then a wildcard for the final headliner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

I would say overwhelming and a great coup to get him. If he is replacing Patti Smith it's a major upgrade anyway

Advertisement