Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭eplady2017

Would definitely be looking at a glamping option for this. Any feedback on what is the better option between the Tangerine Fields and Podpads?

Tangerine Fields were totally not worth it last year. Tents are very small, even 4 man bearly fitted 2 with gear comfortably. Ours was musty and smelly, clearing had been packed away wet. Neighbours tent leaked very badly in the rain and no staff to be found.
    Facilities crap. Had to go to neighbouring camp site to get coffee etc. Showers only opened for a few hours during the day and no access after that. Worst part for me was it wasn't private.. When entering on 3 occasions I say people ahead of me being allowed in to 'see my mate' or 'take a short cut'. Oh and add the queuing time on arrival to that.
    General camped first year and will go back to it this year.
    I stay in pink moon every year at EP and boutique at ATN fell very short.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Stillill42 wrote: »
    I just had a quick look but 105 for 3 day ticket, return flights for under 100 (without add ons), any number of Airbnb apartments in the general vicinity for 50ish a night. Looks fantastic, beautiful parkland setting and Pavement headlining, PAVEMENT, for crying out loud.

Porto seems like really good value. Prima in Barca is 155 for the ticket early bird, flights a bit more and accommodation is around 100-150 per room (so maybe thats 50-75 pps).

However, I guess you could say Porto was chosen as an extra for the sequel to the movie adaptation of Barca!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Tangerine Fields were a joke of a service, and fobbed off any complaints. They don't deserve to get business next year when there's alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    Our tent got flooded. Everything soaked. We took photos and one of our party was really persistent with them. They did try to fob her off with just a oops we're sorry at first.

Fair play for persisting. Our pillows and some gear got soaked on the Saturday night, but we had them right against the walls of the tent, so probably our own fault there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Porto seems like really good value. Prima in Barca is 155 for the ticket early bird, flights a bit more and accommodation is around 100-150 per room (so maybe thats 50-75 pps).

However, I guess you could say Porto was chosen as an extra for the sequel to the movie adaptation of Barca!

Nice, Johnny. Very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Tangerine Fields were a joke of a service, and fobbed off any complaints. They don't deserve to get business next year when there's alternatives.

They'd certainly want to step up their check in service anyway with an average of 2-3 hour queue time!

Loads of TF staff hanging about to show you to your tent but only 2 at the check in desk, one writing things down on a used pizza box and the other trying to find names on a list that didn't seem to have any semblance of order to it. They just as easily could have had 10-15 people sitting at desks, giving out rows/tent numbers and have people find their own tent.

Surely with all their experience of festivals they would have figured this out by now?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Had a great time in Tangerine Fields this year!

Arrived about 1PM, no queues, got a 8 man for about 550 I think, 4 double rooms and a massive communal arrive, super quiet at night, will 100% be booking again for our party, 10 min queue for shower was my only complaint!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Coz

Wonder how Brexit will affect any UK based acts appearing at European festivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Coz wrote: »
    Wonder how Brexit will affect any UK based acts appearing at European festivals?

Same way playing in the States does.

Hoboo wrote:
    Same way playing in the States does.

But it could become far less financially viable for smaller acts.

Visas, import duties on merch, taxes. The list goes on.

Only a small proportion of acts would venture to the U.S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Coz wrote: »
    But it could become far less financially viable for smaller acts.

Visas, import duties on merch, taxes. The list goes on.

Only a small proportion of acts would venture to the U.S.

Visas for UK <-> EU will almost certainly not be a thing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Visas for UK <-> EU will almost certainly not be a thing.

The problem is that bands who come over to play a gig are coming over for business purposes. Visa free travel for leisure shouldnt be a problem, but getting a business or performers visa might be a problem.

Luckily however, the CTA allows British citizens to work freely in Ireland, so it shouldnt be a problem for us so long as CTA stays (it might not). Could be an extra layer of hassle for English bands playing in other EU countries.

Now, this makes no difference to the Kinks or the Who or that ginger guy everyone seems to like, but if youre a small or up and coming band getting €1,000 all in to do a gig, half of which is taken up by transport costs, you might think the hassle and cost of getting the visas makes it no longer financially viable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

The problem is that bands who come over to play a gig are coming over for business purposes. Visa free travel for leisure shouldnt be a problem, but getting a business or performers visa might be a problem.

Luckily however, the CTA allows British citizens to work freely in Ireland, so it shouldnt be a problem for us so long as CTA stays (it might not). Could be an extra layer of hassle for English bands playing in other EU countries.

Now, this makes no difference to the Kinks or the Who or that ginger guy everyone seems to like, but if youre a small or up and coming band getting €1,000 all in to do a gig, half of which is taken up by transport costs, you might think the hassle and cost of getting the visas makes it no longer financially viable

Fair points. AFAIK the CTA existed long before we were both members of the EU and the two governments recently signed an MoU on the issue*.

I guess we will not know until Brexit is real and we see what happens. I guess this sort of specific issue is way down the list of priorities for UK, Ireland & the EU. But you have a point that if it is such a hassle to travel for small bands, then gigging in Ireland may no longer be something worth doing.

* https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/memorandum-of-understanding-between-the-uk-and-ireland-on-the-cta

But you have a point that if it is such a hassle to travel for small bands, then gigging in Ireland may no longer be something worth doing.

So many bands rely heavily on the sale of merch to make ends meet and finance tours.

Brexit means bands bringing merch into and out of the UK will be subject to non EEU duties.

Fair points. AFAIK the CTA existed long before we were both members of the EU and the two governments recently signed an MoU on the issue*.

The trouble is that the UK government Minister responsible for deciding whether to continue it has gleefully threatened to starve out Ireland in a no deal brexit (not realising that Ireland produces more food than it eats while the UK only produces 60%)

But speaking of starving out, i would estimate that around 50% of food stalls in any Irish festival or music event, bar body and soul, are UK based. They might not be able to bring all their stuff over, pass food safety standards etc.

Similarly security companies, stage hands, festival insurance, electricity suppliers. Most of these are Uk based.

God its actually a festival nightmare, and the artista are the least of our worries.

Maybe Paschal announced an emergency Frames reunion and tax breaks on saw doctors just to keep us tiding over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Yeah that's true, staff and infrastructure would be more of a worry than artists.

The trouble is that the UK government Minister responsible for deciding whether to continue it has gleefully threatened to starve out Ireland in a no deal brexit (not realising that Ireland produces more food than it eats while the UK only produces 60%)

That doesn't paint a Priti picture....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Forbidden Fruit has announced its dates for next year - positive sounds from Pod! - but has slimmed down to a two day event; make of that what you will.

So that's Metropolis gone, FF decreased by one-third... Hopefully they plough the extra into ATN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Forbidden Fruit has announced its dates for next year - positive sounds from Pod! - but has slimmed down to a two day event; make of that what you will.

So that's Metropolis gone, FF decreased by one-third... Hopefully they plough the extra into ATN.

I rather enjoyed having an indie day. Which was less appealing to the 16-21yr olds.

Although don't be alarmed, the indie is now interlaced with dance acts over the 2days.

I just wonder if they do predominantly dance on the sat and then the indie on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Good sounds coming out of POD. Hopefully they make the right changes. A 2 day is more appealing. A greater spread of acts too would do well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I rather enjoyed having an indie day. Which was less appealing to the 16-21yr olds.

Although don't be alarmed, the indie is now interlaced with dance acts over the 2days.

I just wonder if they do predominantly dance on the sat and then the indie on the Sunday.

I have no insider knowledge on this so it's all guesswork but I wonder did the mix of acts put some people off going?

Like, the indie days generally appealed to me (not Elbow, but the previous years) and the setting and timing was ideal. But I wasn't bothered travelling up from Cork some years for a one day event, but might have considered going if it was three days. And I know some people who felt the same about the more electronic or hip-hop days - it was appealing but it was on the cusp of what was worth travelling for.

I think, like Longitude, FF would be better off nailing their colours to the mast and going after a specific market. Longitude did well with a mix of acts, moved to hip-hop heavy and has sold out very quickly two years in a row. If FF went big on electronic or indie, would they have a better chance of doing the same? Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

I have no insider knowledge on this so it's all guesswork but I wonder did the mix of acts put some people off going?

Like, the indie days generally appealed to me (not Elbow, but the previous years) and the setting and timing was ideal. But I wasn't bothered travelling up from Cork some years for a one day event, but might have considered going if it was three days. And I know some people who felt the same about the more electronic or hip-hop days - it was appealing but it was on the cusp of what was worth travelling for.

I think, like Longitude, FF would be better off nailing their colours to the mast and going after a specific market. Longitude did well with a mix of acts, moved to hip-hop heavy and has sold out very quickly two years in a row. If FF went big on electronic or indie, would they have a better chance of doing the same? Maybe.

Personally speaking as there aren't a lot of stages there may be periods where I wouldn't have an act I may want to see as now the indie and dance would be split between the two bigger stages.

I guess a way around this would to have dance acts and main acts that compliment each other. I found Monday of last year didn't have good flow.

Saint sister was great (good) ry x was not

Spiritualized to Fontaines (bad)

Loved Fontaines, then Fontaines to elbow (bad again)

Just really strange energy.

For example of good flow: like vampire weekend leading into Caribou or hot chip

Or Tame impala leading into moderat/nicholas jarr

But for example if its something like elbow leading into justice it wouldn't fly.

Yeah elbow was a bit of a let down, they are good but it was like hanging out with dad having turkey and ham at Sunday lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Looks like an announcement next month

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Fh61dHQs8/

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Tame Impala would be a sensational headliner - but I fear they may play EP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

First headliner coming tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Do you know something we don't? Social media says "later this week"..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Basq wrote: »
    Do you know something we don't? Social media says "later this week"..

Sorry must have misread it was convinced it said tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hibsman

Tame Impala would be a big statement as the first headliner. I'd say Elbow more realistically which would be great too, but it's anyone's guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The announcement and video are bit cryptic, "Dial-up ATN'ers!" ,and the video has an old computer with the dial up noise!

Im going to guess Thom Yorke....

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4uM0PWHeL_/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

it's going to be future sounds of london 'live' via ISDN

:pac::pac:

Advertisement