Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

LillySV wrote: »
    I believe unemployed should get no ****ing house... go out and work and earn it like everyone else ..
    I think if you have been long term unemployed, say five years, you should be giving housing (because realistically we can't throw people on the streets) but it should be in rural areas, rather than cities. If you're not working and don't intend to, then you don't need to live in the middle of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I think if you have been long term unemployed, say five years, you should be giving housing (because realistically we can't throw people on the streets) but it should be in rural areas, rather than cities. If you're not working and don't intend to, then you don't need to live in the middle of Dublin.

Totally agree about no entitlement to live in Dublin (or any city for that matter) if not working ....should have to accept cheaper accommodation outside of town .... but still think it should be on a yearly basis where reviews check the extent of your job searching ... and the houses should be on the lower scale... as it stands many employed people starting to question why they’re working when their neighbour isn’t and has same house and quality of living

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I don’t trust the Eu with Democracy .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'm 39, never on dole and will never sign on the dole and I will never own my own house. Why the feck should a dole head with no kids get a free house ahead of me?

I can't believe the easy solution hasn't been implemented. It drops by 20quid every year. If you are unemployed for long enough that it reaches zero, so be it.

• Advertisement

This is a myth that all people on the dole work the system.

Which I didn't say.... but then that's a common response in these cases.
    Not everyone on the dole is a criminal or willing to do illegal things to earn "extra". As for using the system, do you mean getting their entitlements they are due, and which most have paid tax for in the past.

Well, with that introduction, how could I possibly disagree? Hilarious.
    This notion people on the dole can afford cars, go on holidays and have plenty of spare cash is the sort of nonsense spewed by people who have no idea what they are speaking about and just regurgitating some over used cliche.

Again, not even close, to what I suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I can't believe the easy solution hasn't been implemented. It drops by 20quid every year. If you are unemployed for long enough that it reaches zero, so be it.

This sort of thinking leads to a rise in homelessness and criminality as they are the only two options left for the unemployable if you cut the dole. I mean really, what else will they do? Whether they can't or wont is irrelevant at this stage.....Nobody is going to hire these people. They are basically unemployable. So they end up homeless or criminals.

Leaving things like humanity, basic decency and empathy aside and just looking at the cold hard facts.....the type of solution you are suggesting only creates a bigger problem.

Greyfox wrote: »
    I'm 39, never on dole and will never sign on the dole and I will never own my own house. Why the feck should a dole head with no kids get a free house ahead of me?
    Maybe , because they are smarter than you :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Kirby wrote: »
    Whether they can't or wont is irrelevant at this stage.....Nobody is going to hire these people. They are basically unemployable.

This sort of thinking leads to a rise in homelessness and criminality as they are the only two options left for the unemployable if you cut the dole. I mean really, what else will they do?

Leaving things like humanity, basic decency and empathy aside this type of solution only creates a bigger problem.

This.
    No one, not even the most compassionate liberal, enjoys the idea of healthy people who will never work being supported by their tax money.
    But the alternative is way, way worse for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

as it stands many employed people starting to question why they’re working when their neighbour isn’t and has same house and quality of living

Yeah, that’s just something people say. If it were actually true that it’s better to be on the dole, then few people would work in the lowest paid jobs. But they do, so it isn’t.

• Advertisement

This sort of thinking leads to a rise in homelessness and criminality as they are the only two options left for the unemployable if you cut the dole. I mean really, what else will they do? Whether they can't or wont is irrelevant at this stage.....Nobody is going to hire these people. They are basically unemployable. So they end up homeless or criminals.

Leaving things like humanity, basic decency and empathy aside and just looking at the cold hard facts.....the type of solution you are suggesting only creates a bigger problem.

Point taken. My worst posting is always on Sunday morning. (here)

A lot of the long termers are going that way anyways ... they get it so handy that they make stupid decisions such as drugs

Yeah, that’s just something people say. If it were actually true that it’s better to be on the dole, then few people would work in the lowest paid jobs. But they do, so it isn’t.

It is true .... few Irish people do work in very low paid jobs for long ...hence the influx of Eastern Europeans who are willing to as the lower money here is still a lot better than their home country.... they save save save and send as much home as possible ...

if someone has afew kids on dole... they way better ... the taxation system for paye workers is ridiculous ...doesn’t encourage people to work... I will never do overtime for instance ...as I would be left with very little out of it if I did after tax and charges which is a ridiculous ... work should pay!

It is true .... few Irish people do work in very low paid jobs for long ...hence the influx of Eastern Europeans who are willing to as the lower money here is still a lot better than their home country.... they save save save and send as much home as possible ...

if someone has afew kids on dole... they way better ... the taxation system for paye workers is ridiculous ...doesn’t encourage people to work... I will never do overtime for instance ...as I would be left with very little out of it if I did after tax and charges which is a ridiculous ... work should pay!

I really don't think many people quit work for the dole.

But the bit in bold is important. The government sets the dole at a level where people can live. Business has eroded workers rights to the point where they only barely pay people enough to live. Hence the dole being somewhat comparable to low wages. So who's fault is it? Those of us who allow workers rights and unions to be further eroded and weakened.

I really don't think many people quit work for the dole.

But the bit in bold is important. The government sets the dole at a level where people can live. Business has eroded workers rights to the point where they only barely pay people enough to live. Hence the dole being somewhat comparable to low wages. So who's fault is it? Those of us who allow workers rights and unions to be further eroded and weakened.

Totally agree. Problem is there’s no one up in the dail fighting for the rights of paye workers .... they all know the paye worker is a easy hit .... we too compliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

my buddy works 3 days a week and signs for 3 days.

If he worked the full week he would be worse off, as while his money would go up, it would not compensate for the increase in rent, and the loss of other benefits.
    Why would he work longer hours and more days to be financially worse off ?
    Is he raping the system or simply doing the logical thing. ?

If he worked the full week he would be worse off, as while his money would go up, it would not compensate for the increase in rent, and the loss of other benefits.
    The smart thing obviously .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Which in times of recession and depression, will lead to rampant homelessness, drug use and increased crime as people turn to extreme methods to stave off abject poverty. They'll also end up stealing off of people who have just enough too, as ordinary folk are easier to steal from.

That means you and me and the majority of people on this thread.

It's always hilarious that gobshites that constantly come up with this rubbish simply cannot poke holes in their own stupid theory.

The petty mindedness of those who want to punish people for being unemployed, no matter who they are or how they got there, never fails to be lamentable.
    Point taken. My worst posting is always on Sunday morning. (here)

Well, in that case, I'll withdraw my own nasty Sunday morning afternoon comment so.

A lot of the long termers are going that way anyways ... they get it so handy that they make stupid decisions such as drugs

These people are few and far between.

The vast majority of people on the dole find themselves there through no fault of their own and can't wait to get off of it again.

You may find yourself there one day.

He doing what he needs to do at the moment to maximise his income. He'd be an idiot to do otherwise.

And, perhaps later his 3 day a week job enables him to get a 5 day job that he wants to do and supports him better.

Or his 3 day job may dump him in the blink of an eye.

One thing I have learned in life, often the hard way, is that absolutely NOTHING stay the same for ever and you really never know what's coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

indeed.
    Its this attitude that everyone on the dole is skimming the system or getting benefits they are not entitled to is the nonsense that is all to often spewed.

How any adult getting 200 euro or whatever it is on the dole a week is milking it and affording holidays and cars, is the type of stuff spewed by people whose only knowledge of the real world is what they read on the internet or made up click bait headlines.

I dislike INCEL bashing. (INCELs are involuntary celibate meaning they haven't or can't get a girlfriend or have never had sex. That's the gist anyway. They tend to be autistic or similar (don't get social interactions so can't really connect with women or men) they get loads of abuse and they do come across as pretty unimpressive people either because they happen to be unimpressive it they can't successfully interact with other people to fit in.

I think they spend a lot of their lives confused and angry. I think they get enough sh1t day in, day out without me sticking the boot in too.

I've naturally never had trouble making friends and was always average with women. I can't really take any credit for that because it just came naturally. I can't imagine how horrible life would be if I couldn't form friendship and romantic relationships by being myself.

So I would prefer if people went easy on the incels. They have it tough enough as it is.
    I know this topic of discussion has passed but I just came across a video on Youtube labelled "The Psychology of an Incel". I clicked on the video because my knowledge of Incels stems from google and the one Incel forum I ventured into. From my meagre research I never had a high opinion of Incels and always thought they were more trouble than troubled souls but this video is really out there.

It breaks down the interrogation of the guy who was responsible for the 2018 Toronto attack. The video is long and is worth watching from the beginning to get full context but if you skip to about the 30 minute mark where the detective has earned his trust and he starts opening up, you can see the messed up psychology. They are not awkward people trying to make their way in the world. They are really messed up individuals. Thankfully they are rare but I hope I never met one.

I know this topic of discussion has passed but I just came across a video on Youtube labelled "The Psychology of an Incel". I clicked on the video because my knowledge of Incels stems from google and the one Incel forum I ventured into. From my meagre research I never had a high opinion of Incels and always thought they were more trouble than troubled souls but this video is really out there.

It breaks down the interrogation of the guy who was responsible for the 2018 Toronto attack. The video is long and is worth watching from the beginning to get full context but if you skip to about the 30 minute mark where the detective has earned his trust and he starts opening up, you can see the messed up psychology. They are not awkward people trying to make their way in the world. They are really messed up individuals. Thankfully they are rare but I hope I never met one.

No need to watch the video to tell you that you meet them all the time and they’re not rare. This video is about a murderer. The vast majority of them are just normal people who can’t get the ride. A few of them go on about it and post in forums. The rest are just relatively normal people who can’t connect with men or women and can’t or can’t easily form normal friendship or romantic relationships because they don’t understand social interactions.

Don’t confuse a guy who went bananas for the whole population. Most of them are just confused and isolated people who can’t fit in.

I don’t have any sympathy for this guy in the video or what he did or any of his opinions.

If this video left you with the impression that this is what all incels are, then it’s an example of what I was talking about in the post you quoted.

^
    Exactly.

This guy isn't an "incel" (another bullshit American interweb term).

He's just a common or garden psychopath.

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^
    Exactly.

This guy isn't an "incel" (another bullshit American interweb term).

He's just a common or garden psychopath.

Well, he’s probably both. But the psychopath part is what got him in trouble.

I watched from about 25 mins in as you suggested. Fascinating, but not reasonable to assume that blokes who can’t get the ride are represented by this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I'd say this will be a genuinely unpopular view, but anyway, for me it's how so many of us still blame the British for stuff. We've had independence for near a hundred years and people are still going on about the famine. Imo, it's strange we haven't moved on. I don't think it's just because of the north.

I see it going the same way with the Catholic church. Anything we've ever done wrong as a society is blamed on it. But the church was influential because society chose it to be, it was part of society. I think not acknowledging that is a way to avoid taking responsibility for things that Irish society has done wrong. It's like how lots of Irish people financially profited during the famine but nowadays no one talks about that.

Mules wrote: »
    I'd say this will be a genuinely unpopular view, but anyway, for me it's how so many of us still blame the British for stuff. We've had independence for near a hundred years and people are still going on about the famine. Imo, it's strange we haven't moved on. I don't think it's just because of the north.

I see it going the same way with the Catholic church. Anything we've ever done wrong as a society is blamed on it. But the church was influential because society chose it to be, it was part of society. I think not acknowledging that is a way to avoid taking responsibility for things that Irish society has done wrong. It's like how lots of Irish people financially profited during the famine but nowadays no one talks about that.
    I grew up learning the history of Ireland and the oppression of the British and I did harbour an immature resentment of the British. As I got older I learned about the abuses of the Catholic Church and it was mind boggling to me how they got away with it. The discovery of the mass graves in Tuam was shocking.

In modern times we have the cervical smear scandal. I remember when it first broke Leo Varadakar said that no woman would have to go to court to get compensation. What a joke that turned out to be. A few years later and it's not reported on much anymore and we still don't know exactly how that happened. It's all kinda forgotton about.

We blamed the British, then we blamed the Church but who do we blame when it's our own people fcuking over our own people? I've come to the conclusion that people in power are self serving and it doesn't matter who they are. They could be your own or some one else. They will always have their own interests at heart and the average person just has to get on with it.

And as for blaming the British for everything, they were just lucky they were the empire at the time who got to colonise everyone else. What they did sucked and people are still paying the price for it today but if Ireland had been a world player 400 years ago, I don't think we'd have done any differently. Times were different and we were in the unfortunate position of being the oppressed, rather than the oppressors.

If you go back to St Patrick he was a lad who was taken as a slave, so it's not like Irish people were above raiding other countries and taking what they could. We simply couldn't compete with the Brits and they over took us. All the stuff from the past is horrific but it's not like the Brits treated their peasants any better.

Having said all that, I don't think the Brits have any self awareness and this is reflected in Brexit. The colonies are gone, they're not a world player anymore and if this all blows up in their face I won't feel bad for indulging in a massive amount of Schadenfreude.

tl:dr I agree with Mules. Looking to blame the past is pointless. Learn from mistakes and plan for a better future. Irish people are now accountable for how Ireland progresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Boojums has no idea what a proper burrito is. They have ruined the traditional dish with their own idea what is a traditional staple of my family.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I think people with terminal illnesses are in a way lucky. They can choose assisted suicide and don't have to face the immense stigma that people with mental issues who want to do the same thing, do.

When you want to give up because you have cancer, people say "okay", when you want to give up because of life problems/mental issues people say you're "weak".-

Advertisement