Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kiki_the_third

Yep...that sure is an unpopular opinion :D

Yup, but I stand by it. I've lived in far worse cities, and visited many more. In fact, here's another unpopular opinion: People who think Dublin is awful obviously haven't done a whole pile of travelling.

Out of interest, what cities have you found worse than Dublin?

I lived in Doha, a city with worse infrastructure, a worse climate, that's more expensive. I've travelled extensively in the Middle East, Asia and Africa and while many of thecities were lovely to visit, I could never live in them Closer to home, various cities in northern England are pretty dismal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I don’t hate Boris Johnson, I think he’s portrayed as a buffoon in the media and it’s one of those things that everyone says by default ‘’he’s a right gob****e isn’t he etc, I actually think he’s done a good job to get a deal agreed in the midst of the chaos and hope they pass the deal
    Looks like he is going to get Brexit done . Great work . Great to see the Democracy of the people Respected .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I lived in Doha, a city with worse infrastructure, a worse climate, that's more expensive. I've travelled extensively in the Middle East, Asia and Africa and while many of thecities were lovely to visit, I could never live in them Closer to home, various cities in northern England are pretty dismal.

I'm sorry but Dublin looks like the builders constructed it with their own dung.

I've had a cousin who likes in Nairobi, Kenya and it often gets the nickname "Nairobbery" due to it's high crime rate. It looks like a right old kip (actually that's an understatement for any third world nation). But she went to school in Chicago and thought that the city with all its unsafety actually looks better than Dublin after coming here for holidays.

Ireland should never claim first world status with a dung filled capital that has so many homeless people. Even the Eastern European bloc countries that were crapholes only after the fall of communism look better.

I'm sorry but Dublin looks like the builders constructed it with their own dung.

I've had a cousin who likes in Nairobi, Kenya and it often gets the nickname "Nairobbery" due to it's high crime rate. It looks like a right old kip (actually that's an understatement for any third world nation). But she went to school in Chicago and thought that the city with all its unsafety actually looks better than Dublin after coming here for holidays.

Ireland should never claim first world status with a dung filled capital that has so many homeless people. Even the Eastern European bloc countries that were crapholes only after the fall of communism look better.

Let me guess: You got the bus to Bus Aras and made your way from there to either Croke Park or the airport and from that you think you've seen Dublin?

Ever had a walk around Trinity? Been for a coffee in Stoneybatter or Smithfield? When did you last visit any of Dublin's lovely museums, or walk out to Rathmines or Ranelagh for lunch? Have you seen the deer in the Phoenix Park, or the ducks at Stephen's Green?

The area right around O'Connell Street is a bit of a state. But that's literally one street in a city of a million people. Your response is ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Let me guess: You got the bus to Bus Aras and made your way from there to either Croke Park or the airport and from that you think you've seen Dublin?

Ever had a walk around Trinity? Been for a coffee in Stoneybatter or Smithfield? When did you last visit any of Dublin's lovely museums, or walk out to Rathmines or Ranelagh for lunch? Have you seen the deer in the Phoenix Park, or the ducks at Stephen's Green?

The area right around O'Connell Street is a bit of a state. But that's literally one street in a city of a million people. Your response is ignorant.

Well to be fair. I've lived here for 11 years. Came as a kid. I lived in Dundrum, then Blackrock, and now Drogheda.

South Dublin looks nice (Blackrock, Dundrum, Wicklow) and actually developed. The parts of Dublin that really get to me are the areas near Cumberland Street and Phoenix Park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Yup, but I stand by it. I've lived in far worse cities, and visited many more. In fact, here's another unpopular opinion: People who think Dublin is awful obviously haven't done a whole pile of travelling.

I gotta be honest with you, I find Dublin kind of bleak. I travel through it to get to Connolly station a few times a year and usually I don't bother getting off in the city centre, I just get on the Luas at Heuston and get off at Connolly. There's not much to do, the place looks grotty, there are too many junkies and it's just more hassle than it's worth. That's before the price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

What is really frustrating is that you are 100% correct. Dublin has such potential but is badly left down by the city management. Complete lack of a police presence on the streets, softly softly approach by Judiciary to public disorder, street theft etc, homeless left to sleep in doorways( Surely some better hostel situation could be provided)
    On a quiet sunny Saturday or Sunday morning taking a stroll around Dublin shows the parks, squares etc at their best. Botanic Gardens, Stoneybatter Arbour Hill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Well to be fair. I've lived here for 11 years. Came as a kid. I lived in Dundrum, then Blackrock, and now Drogheda.

South Dublin looks nice (Blackrock, Dundrum, Wicklow) and actually developed. The parts of Dublin that really get to me are the areas near Cumberland Street and Phoenix Park.

You do know Drogheda is not in Dublin right???

Me thinks you're a spoofer for some strange reason. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

blueshade wrote: »
    I gotta be honest with you, I find Dublin kind of bleak. I travel through it to get to Connolly station a few times a year and usually I don't bother getting off in the city centre, I just get on the Luas at Heuston and get off at Connolly. There's not much to do, the place looks grotty, there are too many junkies and it's just more hassle than it's worth. That's before the price gouging.

So you spend NO time in Dublin but still think it's a bleak place?

What an ignorant post. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

pinkyeye wrote: »

If you compare Dublin with bleak cities in the North of England or the third world maybe it doesn't look so bleak. Anyway you don't have to live in a place to find it bleak. Dublin is in need of a good shake up with crime traffic water issues etc. combining to make it an unattractive place to be. Look at the news tourists robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight! Yet some are blind to the obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

saabsaab wrote: »
    If you compare Dublin with bleak cities in the North of England or the third world maybe it doesn't look so bleak. Anyway you don't have to live in a place to find it bleak. Dublin is in need of a good shake up with crime traffic water issues etc. combining to make it an unattractive place to be. Look at the news tourists robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight! Yet some are blind to the obvious.

Compare Dublin to any British City (Excluding London and possibly Edinburgh) and it is better.

Glasgow, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, Newcastle, Coventry, Liverpool, Leicester, Wolverhampton among others. Not one of them measures up to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

saabsaab wrote: »

You make it sound like crime is unique to dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think society has an unfair double standard with illnesses and assisted suicide. People with terminal illnesses are allowed to end it (which I fully support) but if that's the case, then the same should be done for those with mental illnesses.

I believe people with mental illnesses can get assisted suicide in the Netherlands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

kowloon wrote: »
    I believe people with mental illnesses can get assisted suicide in the Netherlands.

in belgium

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/disability-sport/50145393

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

However, I am Irish and should feel some sense of pride in the capital of my country. I don't. There are attractive parts of Dublin, but the city center is rather.. ugh. The other poster is correct that Dublin has a bleak feel to it. The combination of weather and the architecture along with the rubbish in the streets don't exactly uplift the spirits. The amount of homeless people, and the presence of drug addicts in the streets doesn't help either. It hardly has a safe feel to it. I, too, land in Dublin and leave pretty quickly. I'm far more likely to spend time in Galway or Cork when I'm home than in Dublin.

I don't live in Dublin. I did live in Dublin for a few years but didn't like it. I've since lived in 8 countries abroad, and traveled to another 20+ countries. I live in China now, where many cities are dung-heaps... but generally important cities in countries are far more impressive (rather than beautiful) than Dublin. I also feel safer in other capitals than in Dublin (or London).

I wouldn't consider comparing to British cities to be a positive. Most of the UK is a dump these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that lady did not have a mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

that lady did not have a mental illness.

Live with chronic physical pain, and watch your mental health deteriorate

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Live with chronic physical pain, and watch your mental health deteriorate

I'm sure it is not good for your state of mind. but she didn't have a mental illness. she had a deteriorating physical condition and had planned this well in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm sure it is not good for your state of mind. but she didn't have a mental illness. she had a deteriorating physical condition and had planned this well in advance.

Would depression from chronic pain be considered a mental illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

I wouldn't consider comparing to British cities to be a positive. Most of the UK is a dump these days.

There's your problem right there. Cities are dumps in general.

England's beauty is in it's villages, fields and hedgerows.

From a dutch perspective depression on its own for whatever reason can be sufficient reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Depression is a mental illness regardless of what causes it. The exception is bereavement because the symptoms are the same as depression but it’s quite normal and time limited.

And chronic pain is strongly associated with depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't live in Dublin. I did live in Dublin for a few years but didn't like it. I've since lived in 8 countries abroad, and traveled to another 20+ countries. I live in China now, where many cities are dung-heaps... but generally important cities in countries are far more impressive (rather than beautiful) than Dublin. I also feel safer in other capitals than in Dublin (or London). ...

Have you lived in China? Gawd, you never mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

Having children is ultimately a purely selfish act and governments should be actively trying to discourage people from having children.There are too many people on the planet and pretty much every single major issue facing the world, climate change,famine,war, immigration/refugee crisis is because of the excessive population.

The world needs to face up to this fact and countries need to start making proper efforts to reduce population so that living on the planet in the future can be somewhat worthwhile for those who are born.

I see more than I want to see sitting on the Luas from Heuston to Connolly. I can do without junkies, dirty streets and tourist tat. The reason I don't bother going into the city centre is that I've been in Dublin overnight on a number of occasions for various gigs and haven't enjoyed being out and about in the city during the day. I've done the box ticking tourist thing but if you think that insulting someone for not sharing your opinion is OK then I think it's you who is the ignorant poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think Dublin is a great, busy, vibrant city to visit and, for the most part, compared to most cities, is pretty safe.
    Only way I'd live there, though, is if I lived and worked in the centre and didn't need to commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Paedophiles can't help the urges that they have.
    No one chooses to be a paedophile.

• Advertisement

Paedophiles can't help the urges that they have.
    No one chooses to be a paedophile.

True. But the only way to keep children safe from them is to lock the pedophiles away in secure units for life. That won't be a popular opinion but I'll happily put the safety of children before the rights of a pedophile any day. We wouldn't put a shark in the local swimming pool with kids and say well, a shark can't help it's urges. Same difference, putting a predator into the community leaves children vulnerable and ultimately ends in disaster.

Advertisement