Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Plush, no. Sustainable, yes..or at least until it is claimed by the Irish Sea, as will be the end result for countless homes in Dublin, which is a coastal city btw.

Race and gender are both components of Climate Justice, in case you didn't know.

Wow, to think ireland has produced such an educated individual... next it’ll be it’s also located on a river.....

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

NSAman wrote: »
    Wow, to think ireland has produced such an educated individual... next it’ll be it’s also located on a river.....

I may be stating the obvious but the fact remains that much of Dublin will be a part of the Irish Sea in the near future if we don't take drastic action now. The Irish government recently recognised that there is a climate emergency. It is now time for emergency legislation, that is the next logical step. I am thinking along the lines of something like the 1939 emergency powers act could be fast tracked. That would give them the scope to do what needs to be done without interference from those who are backward thinking. It would also be a way to finally end the spread of denial by silencing deniers. The 1939 act had provision for media guidelines. A new act in the same vein could make it an offence to disseminate denial online. That said , in the medium term denial should be defined as hate speech in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I may be stating the obvious but the fact remains that much of Dublin will be a part of the Irish Sea in the near future if we don't take drastic action now. . . .

The burden of proof is on you since no measured data points support your assertions.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I may be stating the obvious but the fact remains that much of Dublin will be a part of the Irish Sea in the near future if we don't take drastic action now. The Irish government recently recognised that there is a climate emergency. It is now time for emergency legislation, that is the next logical step. I am thinking along the lines of something like the 1939 emergency powers act could be fast tracked. That would give them the scope to do what needs to be done without interference from those who are backward thinking. It would also be a way to finally end the spread of denial by silencing deniers. The 1939 act had provision for media guidelines. A new act in the same vein could make it an offence to disseminate denial online. That said , in the medium term denial should be defined as hate speech in its own right.

a) what do you define as "the near future"?
    b) what is the "drastic action" we should be doing now? Develop massive marine tampons, maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Plush, no. Sustainable, yes..or at least until it is claimed by the Irish Sea, as will be the end result for countless homes in Dublin, which is a coastal city btw.

Race and gender are both components of Climate Justice, in case you didn't know.

Cheers Paddy, I always appreciate a good laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I feel it my duty to inform you that we are in a new century with global challenges, first and foremost is the climate emergency. Glib comments about Nazi Germany and the USSR are typically used to distract by deniers, I have seen them all over Facebook. Thankfully most right thinking people are beginning to realise that sacrifices must be made if we are to stop this planet from becoming a lifeless rock.

By lifeless, you of course mean without human life, the planet would thrive without humans. Plenty of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

I think even by the standards of Bad. Faith. already shown in the thread, the conflation of climate change and denial of it, with the requirement of hate-speech/censorship laws targetting denialism - can be easily identified by all posters as Bullshit not worthy of a response.

At least with the other forms of Bad Faith posting, something useful/educational can be learned through the efforts reading up information to counter nonsense, and tracing the propaganda sources/networks associated with such nonsense - but pretty much nothing of use comes from responding to that other Bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ah Paddy your giving us a good laugh here . Keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

The funny thing about Greta is the way she goes on about "I'm just saying listen to the scientists"

So my question is, why are we listening to a kid telling us to do something when the scientists have been talking about climate change for decades? Al Gore has been saying listen to scientists for decades...no one cared.

So why oh why are people suddenly listening to what a kid has to say? Even the smartest of people must surely recognise they are being played by those using a child to get what they want. Ah yes, let's throw out a frail, scrawny, disabled kid who always has their hair in plats to con people.

Great is 17 now and she looks like an 11 year old. Must be that vegan diet.

So do you think we should listen to the scientists or are you going to dismiss that message because of the messenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Interesting observation, maybe it’s her mothers liquid diet that has led to stunted growth and learning.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=500078&stc=1&d=1579087591

what sort of f*cking loser took the time out to create that image?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Its her Dad who runs it for her.

Which is now confirmed by a bug effecting Facebook last week which showed names and profile pictures of everyone who added posts to Facebook pages.

In what will no doubt come as a surprise to exactly nobody, the edit history for Greta Thunberg’s page shows that the content has actually been written by her father, Svante Thunberg, and Adarsh Prathap, a climate activist in India who serves as a delegate at the UN’s Climate Change organization.

This pretty much confirms that Greta is the most astroturfed "celebrity" of 2019 and she is mostly a shield for her father's activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

conorhal wrote: »
    Which is now confirmed by a bug effecting Facebook last week which showed names and profile pictures of everyone who added posts to Facebook pages.

In what will no doubt come as a surprise to exactly nobody, the edit history for Greta Thunberg’s page shows that the content has actually been written by her father, Svante Thunberg, and Adarsh Prathap, a climate activist in India who serves as a delegate at the UN’s Climate Change organization.

This pretty much confirms that Greta is the most astroturfed "celebrity" of 2019 and she is mostly a shield for her father's activism.

Is there any credible journalism on this?
    I'm not doubting you I'd just like something credible to cite if I ever find myself making the argument in future.

conorhal wrote: »

Absolute nonsense. It was GRETA who got her father interested in activism. He said so on a Swedish TV interview if I remember correctly. Proove it, can you proove it?

Greta has to be the most inspiring leader of young (and old) people that the planet has ever seen. Can you recall anyone raising their profile as fast as her amoungst the young people.

My niece has in fact set up a place in her bedroom that she calls the Greta corner. There she has a picture of Greta framed, sorrounded by many of her inspirational quotes written on repurposed cereal boxes and lit up by a led light strip that only consume two watts of power.

We need leaders like Greta, who are born, not chosen btw. Here in Ireland we have Saoirse McHugh. Saoirse has a regular column in the Journal where she tells it like it is and she visits schools where she gets a rapturous reception. A real inspiration for young people and hopefully a leader of tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...consume two watts of power...

MONSTER!!! Why don't you and her just travel to Antarctica and rampage around kicking penguins in the 'nads?? :mad:

jimgoose wrote: »
    MONSTER!!! Why don't you and her just travel to Antarctica and rampage around kicking penguins in the 'nads?? :mad:

Typical, childish comment. In fact children these days wouldn't say something like that because they are clued in and actually have respect for wildlife. Penguins don't have testicles btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Typical, childish comment. In fact children these days wouldn't say something like that because they are clued in and actually have respect for wildlife. Penguins don't have testicles btw.

I know. That's why I didn't say "testicles", or "balls", or "knackers" or anything of that nature. :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bloopy wrote: »
    It is possible that it is a troll you are replying to. The comment seems a bit too on the nose.

If yous suspect someone of trolling report it and leave the modding to the mods

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Is there any credible journalism on this?
    I'm not doubting you I'd just like something credible to cite if I ever find myself making the argument in future.

Yeah, its always great when you have credible research to back up arguments, preferably from experts in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Paddygreen wrote:
    My niece has in fact set up a place in her bedroom that she calls the Greta corner. There she has a picture of Greta framed, sorrounded by many of her inspirational quotes written on repurposed cereal boxes and lit up by a led light strip that only consume two watts of power.

Your niece sounds like an easily led child.

Very like Greta in that way

Ironicname wrote: »
    Your niece sounds like an easily led child.

Very like Greta in that way

The leaders of tomorrow will have one thing in common... They will have been inspired by Greta. The mitigation of the climate emergency will be their driving force and main priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭jackboy

Good stuff. I presume your inspired niece insisted that she should receive no presents for Christmas and she now cycles to school.

Well I turned on the television
    and there’s this here extinction rebellion
    talkin' climate change and how we’re all gonna die
    Well I said 'Good God' and I said 'Good Golly'
    better get to the Bureau of Meteorology
    and have a look around and see what I can find

Well I studied tables and I looked at graphs and I read
    the papers and I did the Maths and pretty much
    everything was well within the norm
    and there might have been less but there weren’t no more
    of monsoons, typhoons, hurricanes, cyclones,
    tornadoes and all them other fancy storms

more

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/15/climate-emergency-2019-was-second-hottest-year-on-record

The 2010s was the warmest decade on record, officially. Yikes. I wonder what it will be like in another 10 years? 2019 the second warmest year on record.
    The great hoax continues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

The leaders of tomorrow will have one thing in common... They will have been inspired by Greta. The mitigation of the climate emergency will be their driving force and main priority.

Only if "tomorrow" comes before the end of human life on Planet Earth.

Didn't John Gormley claim in 2008 when he entered power with Bertie that we had only 10 years to save the planet? So it's too late.

Poor Greta.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/15/climate-emergency-2019-was-second-hottest-year-on-record

The 2010s was the warmest decade on record, officially. Yikes. I wonder what it will be like in another 10 years? 2019 the second warmest year on record.
    The great hoax continues!

The root of your complaint is that its not cold enough for you.

2020Vision wrote: »
    Only if "tomorrow" comes before the end of human life on Planet Earth.

Didn't John Gormley claim in 2008 when he entered power with Bertie that we had only 10 years to save the planet? So it's too late.

Poor Greta.

Fantastic guy , a gent, met him on a few occasions. He isn't wrong . There is of course margin for error. 2019 was the hottest year on record. He was off by one year. Tipping point was last year according to many eminent scientists in the field.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The End is Nigh .

This used to be just some fella with a placard hanging either side , back and front.

Now we have the internet and Greta .

The End is Nigh .

Ye are all going to die . Probably in bed after costing fortunes in pensions and healthcare etc etc etc.

Unless Greta comes calling with some Euthanasia . Greta will become “ Logan’s Run ":eek::eek::eek: To the lovely music of Psycho .

Surely , Horror Movies are going to be Greta Made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

We are coming towards the end lol. Live everyday like it’s your last..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    We are coming towards the end lol. Live everyday like it’s your last..

The end of the world as we know it? The end of Gretta's reign as the climate figurehead? The end of capitalism? A combination of factors coming together in a perfect storm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

Fantastic guy , a gent, met him on a few occasions. He isn't wrong . There is of course margin for error. 2019 was the hottest year on record. He was off by one year. Tipping point was last year according to many eminent scientists in the field.

So you agree that our planet is fukced? Not much point in waffling about Greta and the politicians of tomorrow so, is there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement