Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

To see that she's now involved in a back and forth with the tennis player, I've just decided that the world has gotten too stupid, and I just want to get off..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

A few on here saying we must distribute the wealth - sounds a bit communist to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    A few on here saying we must distribute the wealth - sounds a bit communist to me..

all that national debt $21 trillion, that the u.s. has; are the u.s. just watching to see if some small country writes off its national debt?
    and then, the u.s. might do the same?

and then, begin the madness again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well its not like the current system is working, its a lit fuse to chaos based on exponential growth, it wont end well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭jackboy

all that national debt $21 trillion, that the u.s. has; are the u.s. just watching to see if some small country writes off its national debt?
    and then, the u.s. might do the same?

and then, begin the madness again.

The US will never repay that debt and they have absolutely no intention of trying. Not sure what that means for the world economy in the long run.

• Advertisement

Well its not like the current system is working, its a lit fuse to chaos based on exponential growth, it wont end well

some lottery maybe, as to what country will write off its debt.

I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Maybe I'm lumping you with others on the thread who have proven an inability to accept informed opinions on the matter.I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the podcast.

I think that's that thing again of generalising what other people might say or do as a result of not agreeing with them. As Alec very well pointed out - it doesn't really work like that. People have many opinions on the current situation and on greta - one does not necessarily include or exclude the other or even a whole range of degrees between.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    I think that's that thing again of generalising what other people might say or do as a result of not agreeing with them. As Alec very well pointed out - it doesn't really work like that. People have many opinions on the current situation and on greta - one does not necessarily include or exclude the other or even a whole range of degrees between.

You can talk on about your version of how something works or not (it's your version after all) but in this subjective area of forming impressions of other posters, I am quite comfortable using the evidence both from this thread and others to form my opinions.

If someone shows you who they are, believe them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Not if you distribute it all to me:eek: or is that the way communism turns out:eek: except not to met yet anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can you link any posts where this has been suggested.

It's an often used tactic, accuse people who want to see fairer use of wealth to be 'communists'.

Like suggesting that it is immoral for Jeff Bezos to be so wealthy while some of his workers have to resort to using food stamps isn't the same as suggesting that all industry should exist only to serve the government.

• Advertisement

maybe Dr.Bre is referring to the Trump,enomics:

Divide up the national debt evenly to all taxpayers.

Then, they can either go bankrupt (and banks can 'whistle' for their money).

or, Declare a massive loss and use it as a tax write-off.

no national debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Facebook Glitch Reveals Greta Thunburg's Father Posting As Teenage Climate Activist
    A Thursday evening software update at Facebook accidentally allowed anyone to view exactly who is posting under the accounts of public figures, businesses and other entities, according to Wired.

The result? For starters, some 3 million followers of teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg have been reading posts written by her father, Svante Thunberg, and a climate activist in India who serves as a delegate at the UN's Climate Change organization, Adarsh Prathap. Thunberg, Inc. claims Greta is still the one writing the content.

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You can talk on about your version of how something works or not (it's your version after all) but in this subjective area of forming impressions of other posters, I am quite comfortable using the evidence both from this thread and others to form my opinions. If someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Wut? "Forming impressions of others"? that really doesn't make any sense at all unless you mean the topic of the thread ie greta? Yeah I suppose she had shown us who she is for sure!

Also on greta - looks like she is op-ed writing for the guardian now and is demanding that not just Credit Suisse should devest from fossil fuels - but talking about the upcoming Davros forum
    We demand that at this year’s forum, participants from all companies, banks, institutions and governments immediately halt all investments in fossil fuel exploration and extraction, immediately end all fossil fuel subsidies and immediately and completely divest from fossil fuels ...We don’t want these things done by 2050, 2030 or even 2021, we want this done now – as in right now.

Greta stamps her foot again eh?

Can you link any posts where this has been suggested.
    It's an often used tactic, accuse people who want to see fairer use of wealth to be 'communists'. Like suggesting that it is immoral for Jeff Bezos to be so wealthy while some of his workers have to resort to using food stamps isn't the same as suggesting that all industry should exist only to serve the government.

Well to be fair seems greta comments indicate she wants the complete end of all capitalist based economies ... oh and all those "colonial, racist and patriarchal systems of oppression."
    No tinkering around the the edges for greta - she wants to "dismantle them all" and "now"!
    “politicians let the profiteers continue to exploit our planet’s resources and destroy its ecosystems in a quest for quick cash that threatens our very existence.”...

“That action must be powerful and wide-ranging. After all, the climate crisis is not just about the environment...It is a crisis of human rights, of justice, and of political will. Colonial, racist, and patriarchal systems of oppression have created and fueled it. We need to dismantle them all. Our political leaders can no longer shirk their responsibilities.”

Exactly. She's a sock puppet.

Democracy Is the Planet’s Biggest Enemy
    July 20, 2019
    If electoral democracy is inadequate to the task of addressing climate change, and the task is the most urgent one humanity faces, then other kinds of politics are urgently needed. The most radical alternative of all would be to consider moving beyond democracy altogether. The authoritarian Chinese system has some advantages when it comes to addressing climate change: One-party rule means freedom from electoral cycles and less need for public consultation. Technocratic solutions that put power in the hands of unelected experts could take key decisions out of the hands of voters.

source

And the anti-democratic EU parliament

'Our house is on fire': EU parliament declares climate emergency

Although passed with a comfortable majority, with 429 votes in favour, 225 votes against and 19 abstentions – MEPs across the political spectrum warned against making symbolic gestures.

Environmental campaigners said the declaration was not backed by sufficient action. “Our house is on fire. The European parliament has seen the blaze, but it’s not enough to stand by and watch,” said Greenpeace’s EU climate policy adviser, Sebastian Mang, shortly before the vote.

source

A few quotes are in order.
    "Emergencies" have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have eroded.

Never let a serious crisis go to waste. What I mean by that is it's an opportunity to do things you couldn't do before.

I wonder who the movers were behind the climate emergency legislation in Ireland? are we the Irish public to be used guinea pigs in an anti-democratic experiment?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

gozunda wrote: »
    Well to be fair seems greta comments indicate she wants the complete end of all capitalist based economies ... oh and all those "colonial, racist and patriarchal systems of oppression."
    No tinkering around the the edges for greta - she wants to "dismantle them all" and "now"!

Can you direct link that post please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

July 20, 2019

I wonder who the movers were behind the climate emergency legislation in Ireland? are we the Irish public to be used guinea pigs in an anti-democratic experiment?

Don't you belief man made climate change is a hoax?. Wait you do. How do you think Your opinion will be held by rational individuals?.

Can you direct link that post please.

No worries. All over the internet. Google is your friend. First link found. Direct link #2

https://disrn.com/news/greta-thunberg-climate-crisis-not-just-about-environment-but-also-colonial-racist-patriarchal-systems-of-oppression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

July 20, 2019

There are only 2 ways to make the EU more democratic: 1: Abolish it (or just the Euro) - returning sovereignty to individual nations, or 2: Federalize the EU into a single sovereign state.

If you're so concerned with the EU being undemocratic, then which of the two do you support?

Hayek was a supporter of Pinochet's dictatorship - he was quite happy to have dictators forcibly implement fundamentalist 'free market' principles, to an extreme degree.

That's precisely why the undemocratic structure of the EU is favoured - for implementing a 'lite'/NeoLiberal form of free market fundamentalism, upon nations - that's why you likely favour neither of the 2 options, for making the EU more democratic.

• Advertisement

KyussB wrote: »
    That's precisely why the undemocratic structure of the EU is favoured - for implementing a 'lite'/NeoLiberal form of free market fundamentalism, upon nations - that's why you likely favour neither of the 2 options, for making the EU more democratic.

I am very against the federalisation of Europe and view the Euro as a doomed currency in much the same way as the Latin Monetary Union was. The negative interest rate policy has doomed it as a reserve currency and the failure to deal with the banks in the aftermath of the 2008 North Atlantic banking collapse is still an open sore, especially Deutsche Bank. Also right now Kristalina Georgieva is in charge of the IMF this is a person who did her PhD on "environmental policy and economic growth in the US" back in 1986. She was also at the world bank pushing "green policies". The unelected Chistina Lagarde in the meantime has moved from the IMF to the ECB
    IMF’s Lagarde: If nothing is done about climate change, we will be ‘toasted, roasted and grilled’

source

Isn't it odd how climate change seems to follow the money and not the weather. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Is there arsonists involved in the Australia fires ?

Both sides have an agenda here so I don't know who to believe, right wing are saying yes 200 have been arrested, left wing are saying no this is all lies from climate change deniers - but they have their own agenda.

Whats the story here ?

edit I'd imagine this is accurate https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/07/australia/australia-fires-police-action-trnd/index.html

24 people ...

Both sides have an agenda here so I don't know who to believe, right wing are saying yes 200 have been arrested, left wing are saying no this is all lies from climate change deniers - but they have their own agenda.

Whats the story here ?

edit I'd imagine this is accurate https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/07/australia/australia-fires-police-action-trnd/index.html

24 people ...

From what I have read the police in Australia have denied that many have been arrested for arson, the 200 hundred plus attested is a lie being propagated by the right wing climate deniers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-11/australias-fires-reveal-arson-not-a-major-cause/11855022
    The truth about Australia's fires — arsonists aren't responsible for many this season
    NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) Inspector Ben Shepherd said earlier this week lightning was predominantly responsible for the bushfire crisis.

"I can confidently say the majority of the larger fires that we have been dealing with have been a result of fires coming out of remote areas as a result of dry lightning storms," he said.
    but
    The Busbys Flat fire, which burned through some 51,000 hectares of land and destroyed 44 homes in the village of Rappville in northern NSW, may have been deliberately lit.

Police Minister David Elliott said whoever started that blaze in October was responsible for a "bastard act".

This week, a NSW Police media release revealed 24 people had been charged over deliberately-lit bushfires this season.

However, the majority of suspected arson relates to small grass fires and rubbish bins set alight, which have inflicted negligible damage and burnt a tiny area compared with fires sparked by lightning.

The Gospers Mountain "mega-blaze" and the Green Wattle Creek fire, which are both near Sydney, were ignited by lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

Whats the story here ?

24 people ...

There's really not two agendas there. There's reality, and then there's deniers. Only one of those is an agenda.

quokula wrote: »
    There's really not two agendas there. There's reality, and then there's deniers. Only one of those is an agenda.

The problem with that is that most 'deniers' mainly exist in the imaginations of the 'alarmists'.

For everyone else it's the normal shenanigans of the media. Something like a rear view mirror- things may appear exaggerated and not to scale. And that goes for all the headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but how is Greta running her social media account? Does she have a smart phone? If so, what about the energy that uses? Same with a tablet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sirmanga wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but how is Greta running her social media account? Does she have a smart phone? If so, what about the energy that uses? Same with a tablet.

Its her Dad who runs it for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Its her Dad who runs it for her.

Even so. Shouldn't she admonish him for using energy in such a manner?
    That's the problem with her entire message. Even to get her point across she has to use a massive amount of energy. Her sailing across the sea schtick ended up causing massive pollution in the end due to her team flying back in planes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

90% of people on Social Media having a go at this kid are either Child Abusers or Paedos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement