Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

moritz1234 wrote: »
    90% of people on Social Media having a go at this kid are either Child Abusers or Paedos

Na, I just think the generations who invented life saving vaccines, and who walked to school instead of being driven everywhere, don't like being talked down to by a little girl who is mitching off school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

sirmanga wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but how is Greta running her social media account? Does she have a smart phone? If so, what about the energy that uses? Same with a tablet.

CDgZs2mh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Na, I just think the generations who invented life saving vaccines, and who walked to school instead of being driven everywhere, don't like being talked down to by a little girl who is mitching off school.

You mean the generations who are driving their kids to school now? The kids arent driving the Ranelagh tractors themselves. Its paranoid parents thinking theres a paedo hiding in every bush.

CDgZs2mh.jpg

Yeah, but is this not kind of like yer man that lives in the castle in the background getting a little girl to tell yer man carrying the sticks that he needs to pay more tax to improve society, and when the guy carrying the sticks questions it, yer man in the well jumps up, and says how dare you question this little girl etc..

So has that Indian lad that works for the UN posted anything interesting on Facebook today?

• Advertisement

From what I gather, Greta says she wishes she didn't have to do this. The poor girl, missing out on school and instead she is travelling the world, hanging out with Leonardo Di Caprio, getting Time's person of the year. I hope all those kids in school know what Greta is sacrificing for them!

From what I gather, Greta says she wishes whe didn't have to do this. The poor girl, missing out on school and instead she is travelling the world, hanging out with Leonardo Di Caprio, getting Time's person of the year. I hope all those kids in school know what Greta is sacrificing for them!

I thought she was missing from the school for a long time before she was recruited

Is there arsonists involved in the Australia fires ?

Both sides have an agenda here so I don't know who to believe, right wing are saying yes 200 have been arrested, left wing are saying no this is all lies from climate change deniers - but they have their own agenda.

Whats the story here ?

edit I'd imagine this is accurate https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/07/australia/australia-fires-police-action-trnd/index.html

24 people ...

The story is we are being fed a pack of lies from ALL sides. The Australia thing is terrible, but has been worse long before

As irritating as I find her, she is only a young girl, and it's the people behind her who should hang their heads in shame. I can't see it ending well for her. In years to come everyone will be asking "hey, whatever happened to Greta Thunberg?" and it'll be a sad story. She'll eventually realise what attention seekers her parents are and grow to resent them.
    Although maybe none of that will happen seen as the world is going to end in 12 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Have the school authorities not missed Greta yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

blinding wrote: »
    Have the school authorities not missed Greta yet ?

After 73 Fridays- not to mention however many other days- her parents would be up in court in Ireland for dereliction of parenting duties.

After 73 Fridays- not to mention however many other days- her parents would be up in court in Ireland for dereliction of parenting duties.
    She must have been awful annoying at school for the school authorities to conveniently not miss her !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Haven't read the thread so? :D

Please not that old hoary chestnut again lol.
    It really wasn't any funnier the first nth times it was posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

gozunda wrote: »
    Haven't read the thread so? :D

If I wanted to read 236 pages of people asking questions in bad faith I'd go to the soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

If she was attending school they'd be moaning that if it's so important why is she spending so much time in school or about the electricity for the lights or something.

Greta is so great , I am going to let snotty 16 year olds make all the decisions about my life . This may end up with me buying some 6^ cylinder monster that single handedly will finish off the planet but ya know now its all about the 16 year olds...........

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

20Cent wrote: »
    If she was attending school they'd be moaning that if it's so important why is she spending so much time in school or about the electricity for the lights or something.

Absolutely nobody would ever argue that there is any place more important for a child to be than school. This is complete whataboutery based on a non existent narative.

If she was in school like every other child, nobody would be talking about her.

If she was in school like every other child, nobody would be talking about her.

Exactly. She's achieved her goal and a lot more.

If her goal was worldwide fame and being a highly divisive individual, then yes, she's accomplished that. But that's all she's accomplished.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What is her goal?

What is her goal?

To spread awareness of the climate and ecological crises we are currently experiencing and to encourage governments to listen to the scientists on these matters

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

To spread awareness of the climate and ecological crises we are currently experiencing and to encourage governments to listen to the scientists on these matters

Vs.

What greta really said. ;)

EB214945-37D4-4AF6-9D87-01AF2CD6F347.jpeg

What is her goal?

To create an army of mindless zombie followers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Absolutely nobody would ever argue that there is any place more important for a child to be than school. This is complete whataboutery based on a non existent narative.

They moan about her using a phone they would definitely be moaning if she was in a school using light and heat.

They moan about her using a phone they would definitely be moaning if she was in a school using light and heat.

It's her that's doing the moaning about us using our phones, our cars, going on our holidays on planes. In fact, all she does is moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

School in Sweden is compulsory for all children aged between 7 and 16. The irony is lost on a 16 year old that is not actually enrolled in school going on strike. She need never attend school again and I suspect most school principles would lay down the law to her and her parents if she were to re-attend since her Friday "strike" would be seen as mitching from school and a disruptive influence on the studies of other pupils. It also seems she was very unhappy in school and I suspect given her condition was probably somewhat socially isolated by her peers, whereas recently she has been the centre of attention so going back to school would be a downer.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

gozunda wrote: »
    Vs.

What greta really said. ;)

Swedish teenage activist Greta Thunberg caused a stir at the United Nations on Monday with her blistering criticism of world leaders' inaction on climate change. The following is an edited transcript of her remarks.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Environment/How-dare-you-Transcript-of-Greta-Thunberg-s-UN-climate-speech

My message is that we'll be watching you. This is all wrong. I shouldn't be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean. Yet you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you!

You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!

For more than 30 years, the science has been crystal clear. How dare you continue to look away and come here saying that you're doing enough, when the politics and solutions needed are still nowhere in sight.

You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency. But no matter how sad and angry I am, I do not want to believe that. Because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act, then you would be evil. And that I refuse to believe.

The popular idea of cutting our emissions in half in 10 years only gives us a 50% chance of staying below 1.5 degrees [Celsius], and the risk of setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond human control.

Fifty percent may be acceptable to you. But those numbers do not include tipping points, most feedback loops, additional warming hidden by toxic air pollution or the aspects of equity and climate justice. They also rely on my generation sucking hundreds of billions of tons of your CO2 out of the air with technologies that barely exist.

So a 50% risk is simply not acceptable to us -- we who have to live with the consequences.

To have a 67% chance of staying below a 1.5 degrees global temperature rise -- the best odds given by the [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] -- the world had 420 gigatons of CO2 left to emit back on Jan. 1, 2018. Today that figure is already down to less than 350 gigatons.

How dare you pretend that this can be solved with just "business as usual" and some technical solutions? With today's emissions levels, that remaining CO2 budget will be entirely gone within less than eight and a half years.

There will not be any solutions or plans presented in line with these figures here today, because these numbers are too uncomfortable. And you are still not mature enough to tell it like it is.

You are failing us. But the young people are starting to understand your betrayal. The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say: We will never forgive you.

We will not let you get away with this. Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up. And change is coming, whether you like it or not.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

To create an army of mindless zombie followers

She is an inspiration to billions at this stage. She has raised awareness to a degree where sane people realise that the climate emergency is so critical that we only have a few years to totally change the behaviours that are causing planetary extinction. Leaders like Greta are what society needs to guide it on a greener path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Paddygreen wrote: »
    She is an inspiration to billions at this stage. She has raised awareness to a degree where sane people realise that the climate emergency is so critical that we only have a few years to totally change the behaviours that are causing planetary extinction. Leaders like Greta are what society needs to guide it on a greener path.

Leaders like Greta, your in for a bad time if you buy into that cult. Your house will be fine it's not going to burn down any time soon. There is no climate emergency just don't be an idiot about where you build a house or decide to raise a family.
    I just read the younger generation won't have kids as they don't want to inflict a dying world on them, that is absolutely nuts thinking, it's also natural selection at work. The less dumb people that procreate the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement