Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

The look she gave Trump when he came in to the room was like someone who was about to have a temper tantrum.

If you want to get the people on board and change minds about tackling climate change having a rich kid with far left ideas shouting at them isn't the way to go about it.

Leo was all about slapping carbon taxes on us over in NY yesterday, seems like he is forgetting there is an election coming up here.

Trump has more than earned any deriding looks he gets.
    I love how some people view everything through the prism of Politics. Why can't it for once just be about a passionate individual advocating for a better world without people projecting their own fears onto the message/messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The Australian 'Tommy Robinson' gets banned from twitter for tweeting about Greta.

...and comes across as being a right arsehole, just like robinson, oh and autistic people have a tenancy to catastrophe

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

kevcos wrote: »
    Given the planet is ~4.5 billion year old can you explain why you are graphing only the most recent 50 years?
    Surely only graphing 50 years out of an elapsed 4-5 billion year is regarded as an insignificant snap shot?
    This is from the last 2000 years (I cannot speak to its validity, is from Wikipedia)

2000-Year-Temperature-Comparison.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_record_of_the_past_1000_years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

The temperature was higher in the past, beyond your 50 years. Was that the dinosaurs fault? Too many dino-engines?

Where do you think all the extra greenhouse gases we've pumped into the atmosphere since the indusrial era has gone? Do you not agree that this trend is only increasing?

Do you completely ignore the science that co2 is a green house gas, not just in and of itself, but also because it raises the amount of water in the atmosphere(which has an even greater warming effect).

I'm not sure what argument you're making about the dinosaurs, let's keep things simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Trump has more than earned any deriding looks he gets.
    I love how some people view everything through the prism of Politics. Why can't it for once just be about a passionate individual advocating for a better world without people projecting their own fears onto the message/messenger.

Because the supposed " Facts " being quoted are inaccurate!

The events we are facing are part of a Natural Cycle, and there is very little we can do to stop what is coming, Other than prepare for it.
    All the time being spent replacing single use plastics would be better spent finding a Proper alternative power source!

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ...and comes across as being a right arsehole, just like robinson, oh and autistic people have a tenancy to catastrophe

Being an asshole shouldn't give twitter the right to ban him like that.

He was expressing the views of many in this thread - me included.

Because the supposed " Facts " being quoted are inaccurate!

The events we are facing are part of a Natural Cycle, and there is very little we can do to stop what is coming, Other than prepare for it.
    All the time being spent replacing single use plastics would be better spent finding a Proper alternative power source!

would we not be better trying to do both at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

It's to explain the significance of the extra co2 in the atmosphere, which has been steadily rising since pre industrial averages of 280 parts/million.

This extra co2 has contributed to a man made warming.

I'm not at all disagreeing with the data.

Given this is a global issue I think that it may be useful to take a step back and graph temperatures and concentrations over a wider historical time scale.

I mean you wouldn't just graph temperatures or concentrations from single discrete location would you, be it the Sahara or the north pole?

Put up a graph of temperatures and concentrations over the past few million years, hundreds of millions or even few billion if you fancy.

Again, I'm not disputing the 50 year data but I think it needs context.

Being an asshole shouldn't give twitter the right to ban him like that.

He was expressing the views of many in this thread - me included.

they own the platform, they can do what they will with it, all media is censored and controlled, we dont have freedom of press or freedom of speech, its not our reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

The poor child needs to be loved. What parent encourages such fear in their child?

Parents that are members of a terrorist scum group ?

491494.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

biko wrote: »
    This is from the last 2000 years (I cannot speak to its validity, is from Wikipedia)

2000-Year-Temperature-Comparison.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_record_of_the_past_1000_years

Did they have thermometers 2000 years ago?

I’m sure this graph would have looked exactly the same when earth was exiting the last ice age, you know when all the ice melted before humans existed?

they own the platform, they can do what they will with it, all media is censored and controlled, we dont have freedom of press or freedom of speech, its not our reality

They pretend it is though. That's what gets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I said it was other news. But who am I to stop people from coming to their own conclusions.
    Like that you neither read the link you posted nor made the remotest effort to even formulate a credible argument.

This whole situation has brought out the worst in people

Again, I'm not disputing the 50 year data but I think it needs context.

Good point, correlation isn't necessarily causation. But we have had better data and better ways to record it in the last 50 years.

But would you or anyone dispute the warming effects carbon dioxide have when we pump it into the atmosphere? This is the point I'm trying to get at. Surely we don't even need a graph to tell us this? Or am I wrong here?

The data I posted earlier was pretty free from bias, it was an article from Nasa source linked previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Wow.
    'This girl has no right to talk about climate problems, I mean what could she know about any of it.
    But I can deduce that she is on medication based on watching a clip of her on TV.'

It was two clips one where she looked very frightened talking in front of a crowd and the other one where she wasn’t frightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

What did she mean when she said "people are dying"?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So much vitriol and hatred in this thread aimed at a 16yo girl. So much ignorance and denial. She has more courage, intelligence and gumption than the lot of you put together.

At the same time you've hyperbole and dealing in absolutes. Question anything and you're "directing ire at a child". Also have noticed the usual ugliness of right vs left creeping in. That's a poxy factor in everything nowadays and it's tiresome. If you have a problem with Margaret Cash keeping a horse at or Justin Trudeau's faux pas, for example, you're a right winger automatically to some on here.

The shades of grey are slowly being eroded and it's nearly always pick a side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

She was challenged by her opinions at the US congress last week.

A few weeks ago some reporter ask her a random question and she gave some unrelated answer and quickly put on her earphones, a girl in the know alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It's surely a sign of the times when an emotional outburst from a stroppy 16yo makes international news. It's something that I had to endure in my own house a few years ago.
    When you are 16 you are are fountain of all knowledge and wisdom and all adults are conspiring to make your life a misery.
    Thankfully the 16yo that I and my OH got a tongue-lashing from is now a well adjusted 20 something with a more rounded view of the world.
    I wouldn't worry about Greta. Her behaviour is quite normal.

(I assume she slammed the door of the UN on the way out).

The man's a living legend : )

hes a fcuking scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Omackeral wrote: »
    At the same time you've hyperbole and dealing in absolutes. Question anything and you're "directing ire at a child". Also have noticed the usual ugliness of right vs left creeping in. That's a poxy factor in everything nowadays and it's tiresome. If you have a problem with Margaret Cash keeping a horse at or Justin Trudeau's faux pas, for example, you're a right winger automatically to some on here.

The shades of grey are slowly being eroded and it's nearly always pick a side.
    A lot of that comes down to the likes of what we are doing here. Online engagements are disembodied and expose us to far more strident extremes than a normal conversation would. Add this to the obsession of sharing and that reach goes far and wide. Here's a Ted Talk I came across on the issue of disagreeing but doing so productively.

https://www.ted.com/talks/julia_dhar_how_to_disagree_productively_and_find_common_ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It's surely a sign of the times when an emotional outburst from a stroppy 16yo makes international news.

Not exactly what's happening haha.

People are really upset over the UN climate summit this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

hes a fcuking scumbag

Nah, legend.

Nah, legend.

really hes not, hes one of the most ignorant world leaders theres ever been, and thick to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

really hes not, hes one of the most ignorant world leaders theres ever been, and thick to

too?

That tweet was hilarious though, no?

• Advertisement

too?

really!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement