Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Travelling throughout Europe and now to america, nominated for Nobel prize, winner of countless other prizes, speaking at EU, UN, US congress, UK HoC, leader of largest coordinated protest in human history.

I'd say many parents and children would not see that as a stolen childhood.

I've no doubt she will have her pick of top universities on scholarship should she wish to go to any of them.

No doubt it is different and difficult (and will get harder) but she has wanted to take the lead on this and the opportunities opened up to her.

I'm not sure if you realise it but your endorsing child abuse. That girl is terrified. Not everyone can stay in a world like that. With all her issues and the unabating feel of Terror she should be monitored as she seems like a suicide risk. It's not right for a girl that young to be that scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

NSAman wrote: »
    So you believe everything you are told by “experts”.

The consensus of experts yes.

A bunch of people down the pub or various types on the internet aren't exactly the best sources of fact and evidence based information.. ever.
    Academic peer reviewed....words that send shivers down my spine.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic here, but peer review is vital to analyse and fact-check the author's work. Peer review subjects it to scrutiny by other experts in the field.
    You trust Governmental Institutions also... thanks.... tells me what I need to know.... thank you.

It's no secret that the internet and social media is a double-edged sword and thanks to that, Stupid with a capital S has been making a strong reemergence. Anti-science nonsense. Populism. Denialism. People believing opinions over facts.

We have infectious diseases making a comeback because anti-vaxxers have learnt to disguise and reinvent themselves as "concerned about vaccine safety" and push their nonsense all over the internet and social media. Climate change denial is festering everywhere, including right here on boards.

Stupid people and ideas have found a voice on the internet, and are apparently able to shout pretty loud

(again, not sure if your post was all sarcasm, but point stands)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm not sure if you realise it but your endorsing child abuse. That girl is terrified. Not everyone can stay in a world like that. With all her issues and the unabating feel of Terror she should be monitored as she seems like a suicide risk. It's not right for a girl that young to be that scared.

You don't understand what child abuse is.

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    The consensus of experts yes.

A bunch of people down the pub or various types on the internet aren't exactly the best sources of fact and evidence based information.. ever.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic here, but peer review is vital to analyse and fact-check the author's work. Peer review subjects it to scrutiny by other experts in the field.

It's no secret that the internet and social media is a double-edged sword and thanks to that, Stupid with a capital S has been making a strong reemergence. Anti-science nonsense. Populism. Denialism. People believing opinions over facts.

We have infectious diseases making a comeback because anti-vaxxers have learnt to disguise and reinvent themselves as "concerned about vaccine safety" and push their nonsense all over the internet and social media. Climate change denial is festering everywhere, including right here on boards.

Stupid people and ideas have found a voice on the internet, and are apparently able to shout pretty loud

(again, not sure if your post was all sarcasm, but point stands)

Peer reviewed is by no means a by word for factually accurate or being the definitive truth on any matter.

I'm only in my thirties and I have spent most of my life listening to doomsday predictions in the media, based upon the findings of peer reviewed papers. I'd be willing to look through any old newspaper and read the doomsday predictions that we were being told in 1995 and see how many of them have come through. I'm willing to bet that it is very few.

Peers, unsurprisingly, often tend to have the same views and reinforce one another. If you are in a bubble where everyone is on the same wavelength then you are unlikely to get people disagreeing with your findings. They all usually approaching their research from exactly the same point of view. Yet, here we are being called "deniers" if we take these claims with a serious pinch of salt.

I stumbled upon this the other day and I find it an amusing example of the "sky is falling" rhetoric that we have to listen to endlessly. Environmental scientists have been predicting doom since the industrial revolution began.

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-years-failed-eco-pocalyptic-predictions

(Before you say it, I am aware that the publisher of my link is a libertarian think tank.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Travelling throughout Europe and now to america, nominated for Nobel prize, winner of countless other prizes, speaking at EU, UN, US congress, UK HoC, leader of largest coordinated protest in human history.I'd say many parents and children would not see that as a stolen childhood.
    I've no doubt she will have her pick of top universities on scholarship should she wish to go to any of them. No doubt it is different and difficult (and will get harder) but she has wanted to take the lead on this and the opportunities opened up to her.

greta does - She thinks her future has been stolen. She thinks adults are liars. She is vocalising threats to all and sundry if and where she doesn't get what she wants and yet some are still worshipping at the the alter of greta. Very very strange ....

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    She does - She thinks her future has been stolen. She thinks adults are liars. She is vocalising threats to all and sundry if and where she doesn't get what she wants and yet some are still worshipping at the the alter of greta. Very very strange ....

People aren't worshipping at any alter. They are agreeing with her points.
    • There needs to be action
    • Scientists need to take the lead.
    • Governments need to empower, support and listen to the scientists.

Anyone disbelieving that is the strange thing.

id say the major backlash to having a nagging, scared child offered as sacrificial figurehead is coming. today was a turning point.

when you believe in your case, you sell it fairly. when you know you have authority to lead, you do so unapologetically. this pushing of a vulnerable child wailing for the camera is an ugly, ugly thing unworthy of anyone that wants to effect change.

the "any means to an end" acolytes should hang their heads in shame, not be in here asking three questions per post like sam spade and never addressing any response they dont like

id say the major backlash to having a nagging, scared child offered as sacrificial figurehead is coming. today was a turning point.

when you believe in your case, you sell it fairly. when you know you have authority to lead, you do so unapologetically. this pushing of a vulnerable child wailing for the camera is an ugly, ugly thing unworthy of anyone that wants to effect change.

the "any means to an end" acolytes should hang their heads in shame, not be in here asking three questions per post like sam spade and never addressing any response they dont like

Is this a plot to some film you've watched, or is it in your head?

It has no bearing on reality.

Is this a plot to some film you've watched, or is it in your head?

It has no bearing on reality.

is that first line one question, or two?

just keeping count.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    She went all the way to America to say that, what a numpty

Yawn.

• Advertisement

Her 'points' as highlighted are based on dooms-dayism. Tbh any critical faculty appears to be completely missing. The science of climate change has absolutely nothing to do with this teenager - and is bringing much of what scientists have detailed into disrepute with this type of alarmism - no matter how much some people may be pushing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It is just a tactic to discredit a message, ridicule people promoting that message.
    There are parts of the Greta narrative and the way she is handled, I'm not comfortable with, but I believe the overall message is sound, and if it appeals to a certain section of society and makes more people take notice then that is a good thing.
    The faux concern about her welfare is just laughable.
    Greta does not have disciples, there is no altar, all just nonsense to discredit a serious issue.

Her 'points' as highlighted are based on dooms-dayism. Tbh any critical faculty appears to be completely missing. The science of climate change has absolutely nothing to do with this teenager - and is bringing much of what scientists have detailed into disrepute with this type of alarmism - no matter how much some people may be pushing that.

Oh, I get it, now it makes sense, you haven't heard that she is advocating that governments unite behind the IPCC report from October 2018 which detailed specifically the current situation and risks.

Your posts make some sense now, you didn't realise all she was doing was pointing to science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Oh, I get it, now it makes sense, you haven't heard that she is advocating that governments unite behind the IPCC report from October 2018 which detailed specifically the current situation and risks.

Your posts make some sense now, you didn't realise all she was doing was pointing to science.
    It wasn't so long ago they the world was ending due to emissions making a huge hole in the ozone.. a hole that has now reduced in size despite all those noxious, world ending emissions.
    And what about all those volcanoes under the Antarctic melting the glaciers and warming the seas?
    It's alarmist nonsense.

It wasn't so long ago they the world was ending due to emissions making a huge hole in the ozone.. a hole that has now reduced in size despite all those noxious, world ending emissions.
    And what about all those volcanoes under the Antarctic melting the glaciers and warming the seas?
    It's alarmist nonsense.

After action was taking to reduce the numbers of CFC's being used in products......

Volcano's melting the glaciers? First I've heard, was it this evening was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's alarmist nonsense.

The hole closed due to collective human action in banning global use of CFCs. It's a rare example of an environmental success.

The ban on CFCs was easier as there was an almost straight swap alternative.

whatll it be in 2029 i wonder

i dont take the line that its about taxation, meself. investment and research, that's a nice pair of lobbies. very trendy too. right on.

and theres always people waiting to climb up and nag on your behalf, thats the beauty of backing a righteous position.

you can see how the church had a nice easy run of it. between the people that need to be told what to think, and the people that need to tell others what to think, you have a working majority in just about every democracy going.

there is no reason to not take a sensible, controlled set of measures to protect the environment and continuously improve our use of resources and management of our waste of all types.

likewise theres no excuse for stunts like a child prophet lecturing the U effin N ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We are consuming less. We are changing. Take your phone rewind 20yrs you needed a stereo, CD's, sat nav, compass, computer, stamps, a tape recorder, the list goes on and that's just one device. Cars are improving, houses more efficient, public transport is more widespread. Solar/Wind/Wave energy are all happening. The world is getting better.
    Greta or the millennials don't realise any of this there too young.

Oh, I get it, now it makes sense, you haven't heard that she is advocating that governments unite behind the IPCC report from October 2018 which detailed specifically the current situation and risks. Your posts make some sense now, you didn't realise all she was doing was pointing to science.

Unfortunately the endless withering on about greta doesn't.

From the tantrum today she is not obviously not happy with anybody. For sure she is not 'pointing to the science' when she continues to claim that civilisation is going to end in exactly 10 years etc etc. But hey go ahead just ignore the bits that don't sit well with your vision of greta leading the way and having a virtual meltdown when she doesn't get it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The only ones who stole her childhood were her demented Marxist parents.

So it's a Marxist conspiracy is it? I wonder what reactionary dimwit you heard this from.. Paul Joseph Watson? Carl Benjamin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

We are consuming less. We are changing. Take your phone rewind 20yrs you needed a stereo, CD's, sat nav, compass, computer, stamps, a tape recorder, the list goes on and that's just one device. Cars are improving, houses more efficient, public transport is more widespread. Solar/Wind/Wave energy are all happening. The world is getting better.
    Greta or the millennials don't realise any of this there too young.

You can use all the anecdotes you want but that doesn’t change the fact that CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is still increasing and temperatures are still rising.

quokula wrote: »
    You can use all the anecdotes you want but that doesn’t change the fact that CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is still increasing and temperatures are still rising.

Hmmm let's see - ever increasing numbers of humans and a corresponding increase in the use of of natural resources and increased overall consumption. Now for the world of me - I cant figure out what the problem might be. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Greta "you stole my dreams".

No, your dad did any other did and your her youth.

Unfortunately your endless withering on about greta doesn't.

From the tantrum today she is not obviously not happy with anybody. For sure she is not 'pointing to the science' when she continues to claim that civilisation is going to end in exactly 10 years etc etc. But hey go ahead just ignore the bits that don't sit well with your vision of greta the messiah leading the way and having a virtual meltdown when she doesn't get it ...

Once more those who still can't figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

After action was taking to reduce the numbers of CFC's being used in products......

Volcano's melting the glaciers? First I've heard, was it this evening was it?

As you said, first you heard of it..easier to blow the world is ending trumpet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/climate.nasa.gov/news/2844/fire-below-ice-above-volcanoes-glaciers-and-sea-level-rise.amp

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=295861&org=NSF&from=news
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/12/scientists-discover-91-volcanos-antarctica

Once more those who still can't figure it out

* there needs to be action .

Oh people can figure it out just fine. I'm sure there will be'. Btw is that *need* for action predicated on geta's doomsday scenario with civilisation going tits up in 10 years time? - which is at odds with the 'science'.

Guess we are all feked if that's the case so ...

Oh people can figure it out just fine I'm sure. I'm sure there will be. And is that *need* for action predicated on geta's doomsday scenario with civilisation going tits up in 10 years time - which is at odds with the 'science'?

Sure we can just wait until it's too late and then say sure no one told us.
    Or, wouldn't it be great if it was just after we had left the planet ourselves, if we knew that would be the case, sure we wouldn't have to worry about it all.

Remember a saying about being granted the wisdom to recognizing what can be changed and what can't be and having the wisdom to know the difference.

Ring any bells for you?

Sure we can just wait until it's too late and then say sure no one told us.Or, wouldn't it be great if it was just after we had left the planet ourselves, if we knew that would be the case, sure we wouldn't have to worry about it all.

So we allow a misguided youth to dictate what and when is "too late". Just because she has a tantrum? We already know what the actual pedictions are - we certainly don't need someone making up their own. It helps nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Oh people can figure it out just fine I'm sure. I'm sure there will be. And is that *need* for action predicated on geta's doomsday scenario with civilisation going tits up in 10 years time - which is at odds with the 'science'?

Sure we can just wait until it's too late and then say sure no one told us.
    Or, wouldn't it be great if it was just after we had left the planet ourselves, if we knew that would be the case, sure we wouldn't have to worry about it all.

Too late for what? Do you think that if humans stop emitting Co2 the climate will stop changing?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement