Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Usually theories, even conspiracy theories are based on something even partially credible. Eg.Robert Kennedy’s assassination and the earth xtra bullets found at the scene.
    Yours is based on the thoughts in your own head.

and what is wrong with having ones own thoughts?

you havent got your own thoughts. you are the victim of brainwashing, and therefore can't comprehend the idea of coming up with an idea or a thought that hasnt been drilled into you in some college lecture.

I have my own thoughts based on experience and the culture I was brought up in. Therefore I refer to a table as a table and use it to put my dinner plate on. Maybe I am the victim of brainwashing. What do put your plate on and what do you call it?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

How do you know who identifies as male? How very binary of you. I think it’s fair to say that all commentators on this thread are, relatively speaking, privileged, as is Greta.

She only seems to infuriate males.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

I think she’s a 500 year old alien. I’ll stand by my theory.

QUICK QUICK!!!! DISCREDIT THEIR OPINION !!!!!

must have hit a nerve . :cool:

where are you coming up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

if anything, people are upset

Don't be upset. We're all fine. Maybe take some time for yourself.

• Advertisement

I have my own thoughts based on experience and the culture I was brought up in. Therefore I refer to a table as a table and use it to put my dinner plate on. Maybe I am the victim of brainwashing. What do put your plate on and what do you call it?

wtf are you talking about?

absolute hoop.
    you are trying to distract, and discredit my opinions.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Can as please cut out the sexist bullsh!t? This is not a men vs women thing, it's a left vs right thing. My ex girlfriend is probably the staunchest conservative I know (campaigned vehemently against Repeal, spoke at the rallies for life, is a huge Trump supporter, member of Renua, supporter of Peter Casey, etc) and she's just as vitriolic about Greta Thunberg as many other diehard conservatives. I'm a guy and I hold views which are diametrically opposed to hers on practically every political issue, including Greta Thunberg and climate change. Making this about identity politics is f*cking moronic, those who dislike her dislike her on political grounds and not identity grounds.

I realise this must come as a huge shock to people who think that literally everything boils down to collectivist demographic politics...

wtf are you talking about?

absolute hoop.
    you are trying to distract, and discredit my opinions.

why?

Discredit your opinion that Greta Thunberg is 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

QUICK QUICK!!!! DISCREDIT THEIR OPINION !!!!!

must have hit a nerve . :cool:

No. I genuinely think she’s a 500 year old alien. It’s just my theory. Don’t mock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Insecure types. The same who fear any change and see conspiracy while supporting old guard vested interests whether they are aware of it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What is the point in this thread apart from men venting their hatred for greta and fictionary privileged people who live off their parents and go to bali and south america 4 times a year?
    Thank you Greta for annoying these people even if thats all you ever achieve!

I have never being to Bali or South America - my 'foreign trip' to Omagh was good though!
    The irony of your post is that Greta should be addressing counties like India, China, and Brazil as they will be the biggest causes of climate change in the future.

If you look at the privileged background of Thunberg - Grandfather actor, father actor, mother Opera singer. It is clear that the girls background is more of the artistic variety. The flair for the dramatic.
    In the future I would like her to debate the issue with an economist from some of the underprivileged areas of the world.
    Obviously only when she hits 18, as it would be unfair to debate with a child.

It will be interesting how she moves forward from the initial shock soundbite child star act - and actually has to debate the issues with someone.
    Rather than being allowed free reign to make hyperbolic statements unchallenged as a 'child star'.
    Her speeches are obviously written for effect and the acting skills of her family giving tips would come in handy.
    But what is going to happen when she has to start debating with people and no longer be the former child?
    Do you think her simplistic notions and viewpoints will stand up to scrutiny and debate?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

No. I genuinely think she’s a 500 year old alien. It’s just my theory. Don’t mock it.

Do you have a Youtube channel with videos of you shouting your theories at the camera while driving? Cos I'm interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What is the point in this thread apart from men venting their hatred for greta

Seriously, what is this narrative? Why always and only men? How do you know the gender of posters here? It's frankly odd.

That's even stranger again.

Insecure types. The same who fear any change and see conspiracy while supporting old guard vested interests whether they are aware of it or not.

Wait. People who are infuriated by Greta fear any change? I think you are confused there. Greta is the one petrified of change. Her critics aren’t all that bothered by it.

I dunno this little tubby fella seems to have taken a shine to Greta.
    I wonder did they swap digits?
    Or snapchat or whatever they do these days?

Can as please cut out the sexist bullsh!t? This is not a men vs women thing,

Agreed.
    it's a left vs right

It's not necessarily though! Is there nothing to be said for nuance anymore? Green/environmental issues don't require one to pick a side of a political spectrum. There's plenty of reasons why someone may choose to recycle/upcycle things and the people doing it could be as apolitical as ya can be.

Wait. People who are infuriated by Greta fear any change? I think you are confused there. Greta is the one petrified of change. Her critics aren’t all that bothered by it.

No, for your education, we need change the way things are to meet the climate changes, get it? Did you not listen to her? You don't have to agree but it would be an idea to read up on what you are commenting on. She's literally asking them to make changes, do something.

*takes off sunglasses* I've never seen white-knighting in one so young. This boy must be the Chosen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Omackeral wrote: »
    Agreed.

It's not necessarily though! Is there nothing to be said for nuance anymore? Green/environmental issues don't require one to pick a side of a political spectrum. There's plenty of reasons why someone may choose to recycle/upcycle things and the people doing it could be as apolitical as ya can be.

It kind of is left V right. Rural V city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wonder did they swap digits?
    Or snapchat or whatever they do these days?

She's not a girl Sweden done away with them about 8yrs ago. Try find a picture of her in a dress. She's non binary at best.

• Advertisement

No, for your education, we need change the way things are to meet the climate changes, get it? Did you not listen to her? You don't have to agree but it would be an idea to read up on what you are commenting on. She's literally asking them to make changes, do something.

We need to change how we behave to prevent climate change. I get that. So the reason to change is fear of climate change. Now if people are not afraid of climate change they see no reason to change. Get it?
    So your assertion that only people afraid of any change criticise Greta Thunberg is baloney.

*takes off sunglasses* I've never seen white-knighting in one so young. This boy must be the Chosen one.

Do you not find it troubling or in the least tiresome that there's a ****ty little term for anyone trying to do something nice like fight for equality, protest etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What is the point in this thread apart from men venting their hatred for greta and fictionary privileged people who live off their parents and go to bali and south america 4 times a year?

Why the misandry or is it misogyny - that you dont believe women can have opinions too ? Who is venting 'hatred'? I mainly see criticism of the circus which surrounds her and how she is being used. Why do you strangely believe that discussions are only filled with men? Are you privileged? Have you lived off your parents? Why the idolisation of a child / teenager? Strange no?

And again ..

Do you claim to have some strange extra sensory power to sniff out posters gender online? Do tell us more. It is really fascinating this special power you have

I believe greta has claimed to be able to see carbon emissions in the atmosphere. Maybe the two if you should get together and compare your superpowers....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Do you have a Youtube channel with videos of you shouting your theories at the camera while driving? Cos I'm interested.

Not yet...

It kind of is left V right. Rural V city too.

Elements of those themes, sure, but certainly not set in stone. Political identity and likewise political labelling is becoming a major hurdle for honest discourse nowadays. To give an example from another thread; "Oh you've an issue with Travellers/Margaret Cash so you're Conservative or misogynistic" yet the person with the issue might be as left leaning as you like. In some quarters it seems that shades of grey aren't tolerated or even imaginable. It could make some folks completely apathetic if they're expected to got into a box or side with an agenda.

It is all very vague though. Thunberg never seems to be one for specifics.

The planet is dying.
    Her childhood is lost
    How dare you.

There is no mention of the economic costs of what she is very vaguely proposing, and how they can be funded.

It is very easy to call for change when other people are left with the discussions to make - what taxes to introduce, who to tax, which countries should be given free reign to develop. While the western youngsters tweet about 'going green' on thier smartphones made from precious metals mined in Africa and made in China.

OK she went on a boat to get people talking grand... nice stunt.
    She has addressed the EU, UN climate change, American Congress, UK Parliament with not one mention or idea how this proposed 'change' is going to be achieved.

No one has even seemed to ask her has she any ideas?
    Any ideas at all so notes could be taken etc

We need to change how we behave to prevent climate change. I get that. So the reason to change is fear of climate change. Now if people are not afraid of climate change they see no reason to change. Get it?
    So your assertion that only people afraid of any change criticise Greta Thunberg is baloney.

Not at all. Criticising a kid who is merely a symbol, like she's part of a nefarious scheme to improve the planet at a loss to billionaires and their companies sounds pretty disturbed to me.
    It's no coincidence that right wingers, anti antifa, anti main stream media folk all seem to be the same people and often use americanised terms brainwashed into them from randos on youtube and other wise folk like Trump. It's a massive multimedia con being perpetrated on the public, especially those who think, "I'll be really smart and wily and NOT believe people talking common sense or coming from a reasonable stance.
    I know a chap shared a youtube video. His comment was 'Paris has fallen!'. It showed some black kids breaking a few shop windows down some side street. The 'news' was Paris had fallen and mob rule had taken over etc. This is the effect this con job has on the weaker minded out there, with votes. It's very concerning. Playing along to troll or whatever is great laugh though. Shows smarts.

[INSERT quip from anti-libtard handbook]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sorry but you are talking nonsense. There is zero evidence, never mind irrefutable, that humans have any effect on climate change. Many theories, many projections, but zero actual evidence of a link.

giphy.gif

Are you saying the IPCC report is wrong?
    Based on what evidence?

Do you not find it troubling or in the least tiresome that there's a ****ty little term for anyone trying to do something nice like fight for equality, protest etc.?

Oh please :rolleyes: Obviously I'm having a laugh at the kid, but you can't be on the internet and not see white-knighting all over the place. Something nice, my hole. It's creepy af.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

Fear change? Children with mental health issues are now going to tell grown adults what to do? That the change you want?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement