Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You did not answer the question why should amalgamations be voluntary and a Dublin spit voluntary? That makes no sense. Amalgqmating Louth, Meath, Armagh and Kildare would immediately increasre that new teams promise of success. A LARGER player base. All four of those counties are struggling. And there is a connection between counties in many cases. I could use your exact same point about loyalties developing in such an amalgamation as you did with your Dublin spilt argument.

So why does one have to be voluntary and one involuntary? It seems to imply you would not like it as a Kildare/Meath supporter but expect a Dublin supporter to accept a spilt irregardless And repeated your other points without addressing ANY practicalities. I could have copied and pasted your previous post and it would be vritually identical. Do you not want to address the issues I raised or what?

For instance how would a Southside Dublin team playing on the Northside be practical? For travelling? For creating a fanbase? For a sense of community? How would that be a workable solution?

Dublin are not unquietly advantage, in fact they are uniquely disadvantaged. Look at the economies of scale. And available land. That is not the issue outside Dublin for most other counties.

Cost of land on the abandoned spawell site (just the land) cost over 9m euro (over 8m British pound equivalence)

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/dublin-gaa-seek-planning-permission-31436301

In contrast the WHOLE centre of excellence in Tyrone cost 8m British pounds.

https://tyronegaa.ie/club-tyrone/garvaghey-centre/

How have Dublin caused irreparable harm to the game? Are you only viewing it through the prism of Leinster? Because the fall off of Kildare and Meath is not a Dublin issue. It is a Meath and Kildare issue. Look at their performances

That has been shown in the league and beyond the provincials. The truth is Dublin have brought Gaelic Football on leaps and bounds. Tactically the game has never been better, with plenty of innovation.

Also your statement that Dublin are unfairly advantage? Being in the capital city has vastly different economies of scale, there are more clubs for a start. Dublin does not even have a home stadium fit for purpose. It was the guts of a decade before Croke Park stopped being a complete disadvantage for the footballers/ Kerry and Tyrone loved playing there etc. Meanwhile the Dublin hurlers really struggle there. Argabley Kerry still love Croke Park the wide pitch suits them. Also Croke Park does not do Derry any harm.

To pretend that Dublin don't have severe competition from other sports that others don't is a farce. Most of the main soccer clubs in Ireland are from Dublin, the best province historically is Leinster. The marketeers flock there it sells, they are well to do and spend money.

The truth is because the badly run Kildare and Meath County Boards. Dublin could play any Leinster side outside croke park and would still win pulling up. Dublin footballers have played in Portlaoise, Longford etc in recent times and won.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/dublin-v-carlow-live-updates-13133562

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Dublin are a professional team full stop. The whole country knows it. Kildare I know for a fact have 2 electricians on their team amongst other in the building trade so don't give me your bullshit about hard work. Tell me do all Dublin players have sponsored cars, free meals etc . Not all county boards have the money the dubs have . Open you eyes.Anyway - kildare, Meath,Offaly compete and beat the dubs regularly underage it's just your Senior professional set up that **** it up for everyone else. As Brian Clough said to the Leeds team you won all those medals by cheating so put them in the bin…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

I think most people are more tired of Dublin's unfair advantages than they are with other counties' excuses.

One important thing to remember with Mayo is that they played all of those finals away from home, whereas Dublin were in their home stadium for all of them. Easily worth a few points and many of them were indeed one point margins. So we see again how home advantage helps Dublin win titles unfairly.

And it is Dublin's fault that other teams in Leinster in particular are underperforming. The harm to the prestige, integrity and fairness to the Leinster Championship that stems from Dublin winning off their platform of unfair advantages means that interest and participation is waning, massively. So if we split Dublin and address this unfairness, this would enhance the competition and all teams who compete in it, massively.

I have addressed the issues you raised, comprehensively. You dislike the answers as you a partisan Dublin supporter, so you choose not to recognise the answers, but that is on you. I will repeat myself if you just ignore my answers and refuse to deal with them, I am not going to reword things just to keep you happy. In the interests of being amicable though, happy to help your learning journey again.

1. Dublin split should be involuntary because they are the only team uniquely unfairly advantaged (population, funding, home pitch etc). This is harming the game as Dublin's success have not come fairly. Splitting Dublin is not about harming Dublin, it's about remedying this unfairness that has been allowed to develop and persist.
    2. Other teams underperforming is not damaging the game as a whole, so splits can be voluntary in their case.
    3. Shared stadiums for divisional sides are not ideal but better than no split or new construction. Travel times would remain short, relatively speaking and fanbases and community would develop independently of where the stadium is located (far more important to be supporting your clubmates).
    4. Dublin are advantaged by economies of scale, not disadvantaged. The truth is they have so many facilities they don't need to build more. And if you are factoring in capital costs, you have to factor in Croke Park's redevelopment in the 1990s-2000s as well then, as it is Dublin's home stadium. So we see again here on facilities spending how Dublin are uniquely unfairly advantaged by the GAA, even compared to Cork!
    5. The game is a worse spectacle than 15-20 years ago- please see my previous post where I dealt with this false claim of yours.
    6. There is competition from other sports in Dublin just as there is in all counties. This is not unique to Dublin. There is actually more competition in certain other counties.

Please review my previous posts, try to digest them properly and then respond. As before, I will repeat previously-made points if you refuse to grapple with the issues raised.

You have yet to explain how they are "unfair" other than in your head with no facts. I have explained the disadvantages that Dublin have clearly backup with sources - economies of scale etc

Yet you keep peddling this "unfair advantage" line Dublin. But fail to see how Dublin is a county like no other so has to be treated differently due to it's inherent disadvantages. Dublin do not even play in their own stadium they are forced to play in GAA HQ because Parnell Park is not large enough. Dublin have played outside Croke Park plenty of times and still won in the championship as well. They adapt. It is not ideal being defacto homeless AI champions.

You are just pretending you want the best for the GAA. The reality is you won't countenance amalgamations unless they are voluntary for no other spurious reason other than Dubln have "caused irreparable damage". (Despite Dublin being integral to the evolution of the game of football).

And the very same argument you use for a Dublin spilt could be used for potential amalgamation.The way Kildare and Meath have run their senior set up has done "irreparable damage" to football. They do not deserve to be independent entities much longer. As it is proven despite Meath and Kildare's clear advantages (Population resources etc compared to many other counties) they are not competently run. Meath and Kildare are supposed to be football counties! And fans see themselves as top football counties. Instead they get farce. That is unfair on Meath and Kildare fans.

The decision to amalgamate should be taken out of Kildare and Meath hands. Put both counties out of their misery making a larger player base and a new County Board. Plus it would be great to see Mulroy from Louth in the mix. Mixing Louth Kildare. Armagh and Meath. Suddenly they would be in AI contention. Imagine the interest created. Such an amalgamation should beat a spilt Dublin side. Sponsors would be fighting over each other to get involved.

New loyalties would develop among the "Wee Royal Orchard" - team mascot Lilly. If fairness is your goal you would be just as enthusiastic about amalgamations as you would about a Dublin spilt. But you are clearly not so your sincerity has to be severely questioned on this thread.

To claim that Dublin are at fault for Leinster teams underperforming is a laughable one. Considering how poor Kildare and Meath have been outside Leinster.

You seem to talking between two sides of your mouth on the one hand you agree with provincial restructuring yet claim Dublin have ruined the prestige of Leinster! You are only codding at this stage. Tying yourself in knots of your own making.

Munster has never had any "prestige" for years and it has never done Kerry any harm. Nor has it ever being questioned by you. Which to me says that your focus is a self serving and self interested one. Which is not based on the future of Gaelic Football at all. You only want to see change go one way. One that suits your mindset.

I would have no problem with a voluntary Dublin spilt as long other counties in Gaelic Football merge. Then new counties could be created geographically and based on population etc.

However it strikes me that the truth is the ONLY county you want spilt/change is Dublin. But life is about compromise if Dublin spilt involuntarily the next logical step is involuntary amalgamations.

As a true GAA person you would agree with this. But you have placed the caveat of "voluntary" on amalgamations because you are self serving towards your own county, and it is not really based on fairness at all.

Your end goal/dream is the destruction of Dublin no matter what. But wanting to keep your own as it would give you some sort of perverse pleasure.

But the current attitude you have of involuntary Dublin spilt and voluntary amalgamations actually go against your "dream" of a Dublin spilt into divisions.

Because currently -

1. The GAA is an extremely democratic organisation
    2. The provincials are slowly being phased out - the link with league and championship is the start of things
    3. The "Real championship" starts after the provinicals for three provinces bar one.

Although you may dream of a Dublin spilt (however spurious your reasoning). The fact that you are so exuberant in this line of argument, really contrasts your attitude towards amalgamations. It makes you look foolish, and insincere. Your true agenda is shown.

The reality is for a long time the majority of provincials have been slightly more than a preseason competition. I assume by your username you were born in 91?

If so the last competitive period of the provincials would have been when you were in your early teens.

The GAA old farts have slowly set the wheels turning so the provincials can be phased out. If you are dreaming of those days to return, they never will.

If you are dreaming of a Dublin spilt involuntarily into not just "two teams" but "divisions" while at the same time being reluctant to your own county amalgamating using the caveat (voluntary) it does seem extremely hypocritical and insincere.

Even the old brigade of the GAA administrators have slowly moved on, but you seem to dream of the status quo about 25 years ago. As long as it does not involve Dublin.

If so, that is a strange future you envisage one that could have serious consequences for Gaelic Football in an age where marketing sport to youngsters is an ever more difficult task, in a crowed space. Involving not just Irish sports, foreign sports but other pastimes.

You were running the GAA I would seriously question whether er the organisation would be making an annual profit and financially healthy over the next decade. As much of the profit Gaelic Football makes for the GAA is down to Dublin football. Crowds, marketing it all points to success not just for Dublin but for the GAA as a whole.

I think your dream as a it currently stands, would only lead to a weaker GAA. A poorer standard of football. Redundancies in the GAA as less money would be brought in through sponsorship, attendances and so on.

Whether you like it or not Dublin is the crown jewel of Gaelic Football in the GAA. They are the example for all others to follow. Spitting Dublin at the moment would be commercial suicide for the GAA. Amalgamations would make far more sense, it would pool resources and bring in advertisers and revenue.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement

I don't think you know what professional means?

Professional -

used to describe someone who does a job that people usually do as a hobby:She's a professional dancer/photographer.He's a runner who's just turned professional.

Job -

A regular activity performed in exchange for payment, especially as one's trade, occupation, or profession

Do the players have to be electricians? I think think there is a bit of an inverted snob in you to be honest. So Dublin players don't work a full time job do they? Does your county not have nutritionists. sports analysts, sports scientists? Gombeens are they?

Jason McGahan was Sports Scientist for Kildare for nearly a decade.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jason-mcgahan-64688629/

He is with Kerry GAA now so it seems to me the players at the time had the best of expertise.

The fact you call Dublin "professional" is hilarious. It actually runs down your own county as if to say they are not capable of the same standard. Are those in your county that thick?

How much ham do the Kildare players get from Brady's ham?

Maybe Philly McMahon could supply and advise your county on the right foods to be eating?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/philly-mcmahon-s-scientific-approach-to-nutrition-led-to-fitfood-1.2012215

Have another pint there @paddyisreal and a nice Brady's Ham sandwich.

Sean Cavanagh used the same farcical arguement as you in 2017

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/dublin-players-day-jobs-like-counties-heres-proof-136986

Here was that team's occupations-

• Steven Cluxton – Teacher.
    • Philly McMahon – Business.
    • Cian O’Sullivan – Tax Consultant PWC.
    • Michael Fitzsimons – Physiotherapist.
    • Jonny Cooper – Student recruitment, DCU.
    • John Small – Account officer, Digicom Office technology.
    • Eric Lowndes – Teacher.
    • Brian Fenton – Physiotherapist, Beaumount Hospital.
    • James McCarthy -Bank rep.
    • Ciarán Kilkenny – Student St Pat’s Drumcondra.
    • Con O’Callaghan – Student, UCD.
    • Jack McCaffrey – Student, UCD.
    • Paul Mannion – Digital innovation student, UCD.
    • Paddy Andrews – Dealer in stockbrokers.
    • Dean Rock – Leisure centre executive, Stewarts sports centre, Palmerstown.
    • Kevin McManamon – Sports psychology consultant.  

I've explained it many times, including in my last few posts to you but as always, happy to do it again. You on the other hand have not explained how Dublin are disadvantaged or provided any meaningful sources. You have lied and claimed they are disadvantaged but that's not the same thing. Most of my previous points still stand and haven't been addressed to please re-read my last few posts to understand the dire straits the GAA has found itself in by allowing these unfair Dublin advantages to persist.

These are how the advantages work, in a very abbreviated sense so as to not spend all day explaining it:

1. Dublin have a population over one million greater than the next largest county. As transfers are extremely rare, this is an enormous advantage- it increases the total amount of top centile players in Dublin vs every other county. This means the number of players of not only the quality to play at inter-county level, but be potentially elite, is vastly, vastly higher in absolute terms in Dublin vs every other county. This is a massive advantage and is unique to Dublin in its scale, nature and duration.
    2. Dublin's funding, from the GAA, their sponsors and other sources like the Irish government vastly outstrips every other county. This holds true no matter how this is measured; whether by absolute funding, per registered player, per head of population etc. As funding benefits teams in all sports, this benefits both the Dublin inter-county team and all levels of gaelic games in the county. The second part would actually be good if funding was equal across every county, but it's not- Dublin alone have a massive funding gap. But the funding helps to develop Dublin's excellent players to their fullest potential in way that would be impossible anywhere else. This is a massive advantage and is unique to Dublin in its scale, nature and duration.
    3. Dublin play most consequential games, most importantly the finals and semi-finals in their de facto home stadium. As home advantage is an advantage in sport, this enables them to win games they might otherwise lose in neutral or away grounds, particularly tight games. This is a massive advantage and is unique to Dublin.

Then we have the fact that Dublin have all these unique advantages in combination, which is even more unfair. Other counties may come close (although not very) on individual metrics, but Dublin alone are advantaged in them all.

I don't know why you keep shiteing on about provincials as I already said I agree with you there. On the other matters such as your lies about diseconomies of scale, lack of competition for other sports outside of Dublin, involuntary amalgamations being required, harms to Leinster counties from Dublin's unfair advantages, you've said nothing new, so please re-read my old posts for my response- what I've said still holds 100% true, again.

I've no animosity towards Dublin, I just want the GAA to do what is best for the game and the organisation and help all counties. In fact, if Dublin won fairly, I'd be delighted for them, but this is just simply not the case. So they should be split to help disperse the advantages described above, to improve competitiveness and save the inter-county game (and game as a whole) from the path of destruction it has been on for some time now.

Are you slow learners in Dublin lol , an awful lot of 25 plus year old students in that team ..... A Professional team in a amateur sport you know it and we all know it. Stop kidding yourself . Hand the medals back as they were all won with gaa funding and a bick helping hand from Bertie

Only in your head your head paddy your a "real pub talk" man. Student's are professional now are they. No Kildare or Meath person goes to college do they??? You are really running down those counties.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/gaelic/266890/interview-kildare-gaa-s-david-slattery-talks-career-changes-inter-county-football-and-fitness.html

You must not go to Maynooth Univeristy very often

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/meath/sport/maynooth-university-and-meath-gaa-announce-partnership/a1052417090.html

That is the problem with Kildare and Meath masses it is talk no action. Similar mindsets no real plan, no real structure, no real tactical nous, no development of youngsters. Just moaning from fans. It is impossible to debate with that level of stupidity.

This thread should be renamed "The notions and dreams of Meath and Kildare". The fans seem to have expectations above their stature. Clearly both counties are not being run correctly.

Kildare's only period of success after 1928. About 70 years was as result of blow in's and "blow in" top class manager. What was he paid under the counter we don't know and can only speculate. Think of it, 70 years!

Meath's only relatively recent success after a period of 20 years of doing nothing of note from the late 1960's to the late 1980's was because a home grown class manager. An innovator. Meath have done no innovation since. And have done nothing for the guts of another 20 years not counting the stolen 2010 Leinster Final. Now Meath have had a similar gap. That is not unknown to Meath historically.

Kildare should get Pat Gilroy in and Meath should get Jim Gavin in. Both counties are badly in need of structure and Gaelic Football expertise. Kildare and Meath need men in the know. And all the help they can get. If both counties are not willing to amalgamate this could be solution. At the very least perhaps Jim Gavin could shadow Colm O'Rourke to make sure he is following Dublin's style correctly. And they should improve defensively and tactically as result.

Money won't help counties that are not run correctly. In Africa the missionaries not only build wells for the less fortunate they teach them how to build their own. Meath and Kildare are now Africa's suffering severe famines calling for help. Dublin should heed that call. Jim Gavin and Pat Gilroy should be asked to save both counties since they are not capable of it themselves.

Otherwise Meath should just focus on the likes of the Tailteann Cup every few years that is their "All Ireland".

I am sure there was some great celebrations when Meath won the O'Byrne Cup in 2016 after 10 years. And an unprecedented one close after in 2018.

https://www.the42.ie/meath-longford-obyrne-cup-2565214-Jan2016/

Kildare had great day's winning back to back O'Byrne Cup's in 2013 and 2014.

That is those teams level. And success is all relative. I am sure they were proud days for those involved.

When Meath got promoted to division 1 in 2020 after a 14 year wait. that was achievement that was progress. That is the sort of level Meath GAA is at.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30977544.html

Meath can also focus maybe the women's football, where the base of players and standard is much lower, not as punishing.

Kildare are consistently great at the racing.

(Niall Slipper's Madden)

Maybe both counties should stick to what they are good at, if they don't get the two Dublin greats into babysit them.

"Stay in your lane" and lower your expectations a bit. Because historically that is how Kildare and Meath football go decades of noting of note. Unless exceptional management take over. And currently Kildare and Meath have none of that calibre. As simple as that.

Those counties should not be looking enviously at Dublin's achievement and hard work but trying to emulate Dublin in being the best that they can be. That is Colm O'Rourke's mindset. He knows that all success is relative.

There was an error displaying this embed.

can you address any of the following indesputible facts without resorting to off topic rubbish like horse racing etc …

1. dublin funding, lets be honest even some one as blinkered as yourself knows it has an effect on results. only an absolute idiot would deny it. Even Bertie says he funded the **** out of dublin because you couldnt do it yourselfs - financial doping of the highest order sponsered by the state.

https://www.offtheball.com/football/why-does-dublin-get-nearly-half-of-all-gaa-development-funding-279794

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/dublin-receive-e15-million-more-than-any-other-county-in-games-development-grants-over-the-last-decade-149534

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30865557.html

2. playing all your games in croke park, imagine liverpool could play all their games in anfield sure they would win the league every 8 out of 10 years.

even one of your own agrees with me ffs

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/ciarn-whelan-agrees-kildare-managers-29856628

3. dublin gaa professionalism - up to 5 years ago what other county has a full time ceo and marketing department ffs ? in case you didnt know only Dublin. At one stage you had 60 full time gaa coaches compared to cork in second with 10 ! . Some counties are doing it now as they know its the only way to compete with a professional outfit like Dublin but in my opinion this is not a long term model in a amateur sport except for the likes of Dublin. if the kerry group stopped sponsoring kerry they would be fucked also.

so instead of talking about kildare,meath and horse racing can you address them above ??? i doubt it very much because its impossible to dispute the above facts !

• Advertisement

The truth is Dublin could play any team any where and still have a good chance of winning. You ignore the fact how Dublin have brought the game of football on in leaps and bounds. Remember the panic the country had over Ulster "blanket defence"? Dublin and Jim Gavin showed the way others followed. Far from "destroying" football. Dublin saved football bringing the game on to new levels. Can you remember a more competitive division 1 league overall? That is Dublin's legacy.

You mention Dublin and Croke Park that is not a Dublin issue that is a GAA issue. The Leinster Council receives more money from Croke Park. Dublin have proven time and again that they can play championship games (Longford, Wexford, Carlow etc) outside Croke Park. The Dublin fans love it the away venue loves the revenue brought in.

It is not lost on me that Congress as a majority voted against that Donegal motion. Where Donegal wanted to remove Dublin using CP as a venue in the super 8's in 2019. Donegal's motion only received 36% support!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30906611.html

Funding is required for Dublin because of its population and the fact it is the capital. If the GAA neglected Dublin that is about 20% of a potential market lost. If there is no strong Dublin GAA, there is no strong GAA as simple as that. As you know Dublin funding by the GAA was recently cut by 450,000.

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-funding-cut-new-model-gaa-5680361-Feb2022/

So other counties are getting the benefit indirectly from the revenue and sponsorship Dublin GAA can bring in to the GAA as a whole.

The truth is there are few venues that would meet with the demand for tickets that a Dublin "big game" would receive. It would deprive fans of tickets and the GAA of revenue. You seem to forget that Dublin GAA are the biggest earner for the the GAA. That revenue is funnelled back into Dublin grassroots and other counties,

The Leinster Council has made massive money off Dublin for decades.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/leinster-council-to-cash-in-on-massive-dubs-earning-power/26542563.html

This was long before mismanagement by Kildare and Meath. Where those two counties failed to innovate, evolve and improve has left Meath and Kildare where they are today. It is no coincidence that when Micko left and Boylan left that both counties have imploded

The real championship starts after the provincials IMO - which is division 1 in all but name plus a few qualifiers. There are are three teams very close in the betting. Kerry and Dublin who both play a direct style of football (Kerry has copied Dublin), Derry with their counter attacking style (which also copies aspects of Dublin's play, using the keeper as the extra man as well).

Basically the evolution of Dublin has been to the GAA's benefit as whole. I just don't see your "destruction of the game" line at all. Club football has never being more vibrant in the GAA also, plenty of variation in play and the spilt season has definitely helped.

If you believe that the Provincial structure is archaic and past it, I don't see this "destruction" of the game you speak of. If anything Dublin has been crucial to the evolution and innovation of the game of football. And I dread to think where Gaelic football would have been without it.

I have already explained the funding issue Dublin have had economies of scale that other counties do not have to suffer or understand. The cost of living in Dublin, the extremely strong competition from other sports, the population size, the cost of land, the cost of buildings, the vast GAA wastelands in Dublin that need development.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/01/19/the-future-for-gaa-clubs-changing-demographics-leave-rural-and-urban-clubs-with-major-challenges/

From the article above -

"The challenges facing the GAA in big cities and towns are completely at odds with the challenges the association encounters in rural areas. Stripped right back, the basic problems are: urban clubs have a growing playing membership but not enough playing space, while rural clubs have a dwindling playing membership but plenty of playing pitches."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2022/12/05/john-costello-says-lack-of-land-availability-will-be-an-issue-for-dublin-gaa-in-years-ahead/

From the article above -

“Dublin GAA continues to grapple with the critical issue of the lack of availability of land for the provision of suitable facilities for the playing of our games at all levels and standards for both male and female players,” he stated.

“Basically, there is very little available land and if suitable land comes on the market, the price is usually prohibitive. The constant – and even rising housing demand – means that this situation is likely to continue and possibly worsen."

https://1ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fsport%2Fgaelic-games%2F2023%2F01%2F19%2Fall-challenges-are-different-for-gaa-clubs-in-na-fianna-we-crave-space%2F

(article with paywall removed)

From the aritcle -

"The funny thing is, if you were to draw a red line around the catchment areas for Sean McDermotts in Monaghan and Na Fianna in Dublin, you’d probably capture more or less the same square acreage of Irish soil. The Seans are serviced by the villages of Threemilehouse and Corcaghan and the five kilometres or so of hairy drumlins that lie between them. Na Fianna’s hinterland is most of what sits between Phibsboro and Collins Avenue, a broadly similar distance."

"But in population terms, you’re talking about less than 1,000 people in rural Monaghan compared to anything between 80,000 to 100,000 in Dublin 9 and 11. Two vastly different communities and yet both have one GAA club to serve them. For rural clubs, sympathy towards the challenges faced by Dublin super-clubs will be naturally in short supply. But first-world problems don’t go away just because you call them that"

"In Na Fianna, we crave space. We have two caged astro pitches to keep things going through the winter. Starting back next week, they’ll be full every night with various age groups crammed in, elbow to elbow. It’s not ideal, it’s just what’s possible."

"A major problem is keeping everyone connected. Na Fianna have just short of 4,000 members. We have about 1,000 kids playing every week and close to 400 adult players. Each age group is basically its own republic – it’s difficult for our 2015 girls to feel that they’re part of the same organism as, say, the 2011 boys or the U-16 camogie teams. Everybody knowing everybody’s name is something that comes for free in a club like the Seans. In all truth, it’s not really possible at Na Fianna"

Per capita 60 full time GAA coaches is noting of note for Dublin given the size of the population. In fact Dublin need more clubs there is only 134 clubs in Dublin in comparison to Cork who have 259.

https://www.joe.ie/sport/infographic-the-number-of-gaa-clubs-in-every-county-in-ireland-and-every-continent-around-the-world-420318

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/dublin-finances-argument-413086

From the article above -

"The GAA in Dublin isn't thriving in the way the national media would lead you to believe. It has huge problems. Large areas of the city have no GAA at all.

"Finglas, with a bigger population than Leitrim, has only one GAA club, Erins Isle. Clondalkin, with a population of nearly 50,000 also has only one club, Round Towers, Jim Gavin's club. Neither club has competed at the top level of Dublin GAA for many years."

"In working class areas of Dublin, the GAA is seriously under threat, and the powers that be appear to be silent on this and are prepared to concede these heavily populated areas to soccer. Over the years, both Gaelic Games and soccer have done a decent job in deprived areas of Dublin. To lose an established body like the GAA will lead to serious social consequences for those same areas down the road."

Having a full time CEO does not make Dublin "professional" it makes Dublin more secure in it's administration of amateur players. Also a marketing department in Dublin makes sense, it brings more revenue into Dublin GAA which is about a fifth of the size of the population of the country. That revenue goes back into Dublin GAA grassroots and the GAA itself.

Due to the success of Dublin's marketing and nous the GAA have saw fit to cut Dublin's funding by 450,000 euros in 2022. That is a large amount of money Dublin GAA have indirectly saved the GAA by virtue of their approach to marketing and administration - which have yielded success.

It is no accident that more and more country players have started to play their club football in Dublin. Those players are availing of Dublin facitilies and expertise. Most recently Shane Walsh (Kilmacud/Galway), Hennelly (Raheny/Mayo) and soon to be Damien Comer (Kilmacud/Galway).

Should Dublin GAA turn those players away? Depriving them of a chance to play top class club football while living or working in Dublin?

Should the GAA destroy Dublin? Dublin are the reason football has evolved and improved to where it is today. Dublin GAA brings in by far the most revenue to the GAA.

Many counties are drains on the resources of the GAA but Dublin are by far the biggest contributor to the GAA finances and grassroots. The money Dublin earn Dublin put back into the GAA. 5m income and 4m spent in 2021 for example.

Multiply those figures year and year out say 1.5m by 10 or 15 years. And it is really Dublin GAA that is keeping a large section of the GAA as whole afloat.

And that is before we even get into the amount of revenue Dublin bring the GAA through attendances. Besides Mayo who have a fanatical support. Without Dublin the GAA would be in serious financial trouble over the years.

Of course Dublin could play anywhere and have a good chance of winning, they're a great team with great players. The point is that playing all their consequential games at home, including all finals and semi-finals gives them a far better chance of winning than they would otherwise have, especially in tight games where their opposition is almost a match for them. Make no mistake about it, if Dublin weren't at home for all those finals against Mayo, they would have lost at least one of them, probably more if they were playing in Mayo's home stadium.

There still are blanket defences. You frequently see teams including Dublin put 15 men behind the ball and aimless handpassing around the 45 metre line. It's not a thing of the past. There's nothing illegal about it, and it's tactically sound, but Dublin still do it. They don't play attractive football. They probably play more attractive football than Donegal did in 2011 but that's about it.

The destruction of Gaelic football is coming not from Dublin itself, it's from the GAA allowing Dublin to compete off of a platform of unfair advantages. Division 1, and the Championship, would be far more competitive if Dublin were not unfairly advantaged. I've repeatedly said it is not Dublin's fault- I have no axe to grind with them at all, I just want the GAA to finally start putting the GAA first and strip them of their unfair advantages by splitting them.

Why don't you want to grapple with the three main advantages I identified namely massive population advantage, enormous funding that is disproportionate no matter how it is measured vs everyone else and playing all consequential games at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

You are an sbolute wind up merchant, with nothing of substance to offer to the argument. The thread is going around in circles, until you feel like getting a rise out of people, and then it's busy again for a week or two. Rinse and repeat.

You refuse to explain your position properly

You initially refused to nail your colours to the mast, until you were outed by another poster

You repeat the same nonsense all the time, every time

You refuse to accept or explain the contradiction in your nonsense

You refuse to elaborate when pushed further, claiming you've already answered the question

When pushed further on how/when/where you've already answered these questions, your stock response is "see previous responses"

This is despite repeatedly claiming that you have no problem answering any questions

You repeatedly put words in others' mouths

When you did it to me after Christmas, and I explained three times that I hadn't said what you claimed I did, you repeatedly claimed that I had accepted I'd actually said it

You refuse to accept where you have been proven to be wrong, you claim to have been proven correct where you haven't

You've tried to limit the scope of the argument when it wasn't going your way, claiming that's what the debate was about in the first place

You refuse to provide anything of substance when questioned, then later claim that you have answered the questions both substantially and repeatedly

The fecking cheek of you now to try pull other posters for dodging questions is laughable

A wind-up merchant, who tried to hide his colours like the cute hoor that he is, only to be found out and claim that he's only looking out for the sport when, it's plain to see, he's just sick of his own county playing second/third fiddle

A real proper jokeshop of a poster who's trying to get others wound up and banned so he can claim the high ground. At one point you were harping on about splitting Dublin and how it would help the minnow counties like Leitrim. When I asked you how it helps their chances of getting out of Connaught, you started talking about how it improves the prestige and cachet of the All Ireland as a whole. You didn't mention Connaught once. I asked you again and you claimed you'd already answered the question, despite not having been talking about the province before that. We literally hadn't been talking about Connaught once and your response was "I've already answered that".

Nice try, but no cigar.

Everyone can see through your charade. Everyone, including the other anti-Dublin posters.

I've answered most of these false claims many times before, but as ever, I am happy to do so again. I'm not a wind-up merchant at all. I agree this friendly discussion can be repetitive at times but that's because some partisan Dublin "supporters" like you (if you really supported Dublin, you'd favour a split too, but that's another matter) just cannot accept basic facts. The argument gets bogged down when this happens. This thread is years old by this stage, it's not just me who points out Dublin's unfair advantages.

I have explained my position properly, numerous times- in essence, it boils down to: Dublin are unfairly advantaged vs all other counties- the GAA shouldn't have let this arise, but now that it has, it urgently needs to deal with it, ideally by splitting Dublin.

I have nailed my colours to the mast from the start- I want reforms to the GAA that will help all counties.

I don't repeat nonsense, as I don't post any to begin with, I don't contradict myself and my position is fully consistent at all times. I would actually say I'm extremely patient, given how willing I am to answers posts and questions which I have already debunked/answered correctly numerous times previously. It also entitles me to request others answer my question, as I always answer ones that are put to me. In that instance before Christmas, you did accept the point I made eventually, although you then tried to retract that acceptance as I recall; but the point is that I was proven correct there, again.

It's not up to me to "limit the scope of the debate"- I'm not a moderator. I can bring things back to the core issues of money, population and home advantage though, as they are so important to the dominance of Dublin GAA, which is what this thread is about, rather than irrelevancies like horse racing in Kildare or false claims like there being no competition from non-GAA sports outside of Dublin. I'm perfectly happy to accept when I'm wrong, and have been many times in the past. In this case though, my argument is unassailable- Dublin are indeed unfairly advantaged, and no amount of denials of reality can change this fact.

I still can't believe you won't accept how splitting Dublin helps Leitrim! I explained this one repeatedly. In short though, as Dublin are unfairly advantaged, it hurts the prestige, integrity and fairness of the competition. This is bad for all teams who participate, as a fair competition is much better for all counties. As Leitrim compete in the All-Ireland, and as the Connaught Championship feeds into, and is part of, the All-Ireland series, splitting Dublin helps them (as it vastly improves the fairness of the competition) , as it helps all counties. It also increases their chances of winning both the Connaught Championship, and the All-Ireland, as Dublin's unfair advantages are dispersed across several teams, rather than concentrated one. This benefit is marginal to begin with, but will increase as the year's progress. Not splitting Dublin, and continuing with the unfair status quo, will cause the exact opposite to happen in every step here, causing interest and participation to want. I'm not sure what is difficult to understand about this? I doubt you care about Leitrim in reality though, you just want something, anything, that means Dublin should not be split. In my case, I really do care about both Leitrim and Dublin though.

So, I will make no apologies for wanting what is right by the GAA, no matter what you say.

You are of course correct that particular poster @gaffer91 has a certain pattern of posting. And modus operandi

Claims to want "fairness" -

Contradiction 1)

Wanting a mandatory spilt of Dublin ONLY, and a "voluntary" amalgamation of other counties.

When asked to explain this contradiction why is one voluntary and one mandatory?

The poster then says says Dublin have caused irreparable damage to the GAA and cites the ruining of the "prestige" of Leinster. The poster them went silent when questioned on how Dublin have helped Gaelic Football evolve to the current level at the top tier of the game. The poster in question then repeats themselves two or three times without addressing the point raised.

"Provincial championships" conflicting statements

Contradiction 2)

However, this then leads on to the next illogical argument made by that poster, @gaffer91. As the poster has repeatedly assured the thread that they believe that the provincial championships structure should be revamped.

But if the poster really believes this why is the poster worried about the "prestige" of Leinster? Surely given the poor level of standard of the province it will only hasten a revamped provincial system. The poster has yet to answer this dichotomy.

Look at the poster @gaffer91 previous posts they have just under 1000 listed (post site relaunch at the time of writing) if we look at what posts that poster was involved with "discussions" on we get a very clear picture of the posters agenda - 2015 twice, 2019 once and 2020 once. All one after another on the posters profile page. All created by the same poster and all being Dublin "off field" related.

Now we can only speculate why this particular poster has such an obsession with Dublin GAA. Particularly Dublin off the field matters. It is noticeable that I have never once seen this particular poster in the main Dublin GAA thread in all my years of posting there. Again you have to question why is that? Why do we not see @gaffer91 with many varied discussions on various GAA threads. Why is there a singular clear pattern?

When asked to clarify posts and is pinned down to try and explain the "logic" on this current "Dublin Domination" thread we get the following from @gaffer91

Repetitive and/or vague obfuscation - repeating the same posts, going vague saying they were addressed in other posts. Assuring the thread that they "have nothing against Dublin"

Then when that does not work and they do not want to reply to a logical point made, @gaffer91 resort to the final step - Outlandish Non Sequitur statements.

Such as - "Splitting Dublin will help Leitrim" "How can you not see that??" etc

However, in this case that ridiculous non sequitur actually again contradicts @gaffer91.

As the posters previously confused premise that "Dublin have caused irreparable damage to the GAA" can be disproven by the simple case study of Leitrim.

Why? The answer is simple.

Leitrim's most successful year in the history of Gaelic games came in 1994 when they won the Connacht Title. Why is that relevant to Dublin? Well the GAA had a special "parentage rule since the 90's. Where Dublin born and bred players but with Leitrim parentage could play for Leitrim, for example.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-20141169.html

From the article above written in 2011-

"The GAA approved the adoption of the parentage rule in the early 90’s at national level with several weaker counties profiting as a result. Dublin-born duo Declan Darcy and Jason Ward both proved major assets to Leitrim in the Connacht championship while more recently former Dublin underage star John Coughlan played at midfield for Offaly."

Declan Darcy is now a living legend for fans of his parent's county.

https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/gaa/1424418/leitrim-s-1994-connacht-sfc-triumph-still-has-impact-for-declan-darcy.html

The development of Declan Darcy to that high level would not have been possible only for the fact he was coached in the Dublin GAA system.

Meanwhile…… in the 1960's a man called Colm O'Rourke born in Aughavas Leitrim 1957, moved to Skyrne County Meath. He became and integral part of a very successful Meath side. O'Rourke never once played for the county of his birth….

So you have to wonder who cares about the weaker counties? Who cares about Leitrim?

Ask the Dub Declan Darcy, who no doubt is forever grateful of Dublin GAA's benevolence in allowing him to play for Leitrim.

Other counties benefiting from Dublin produced players still goes on today in many weaker counties - look at this list from 2019.

It really shows up the falsehood from gaffer91 that Dublin GAA have caused "irreparable damage" to the GAA. Not only have Dublin being integral to the evolution of tactics in Gaelic Games. Dublin are also key to producing players for weaker counties as well. That is the reality of part Dublin GAA plays in Gaelic Football.

The evolution of Stephen Cluxton 2001 -2016 and the goalkeeper role in Gaelic Football.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0914/816574-cluxton-evolution/

Dublin's tactical nous a man down v Kerry 2019 AI Final Game 1 (Cluxton used as the 14th outfield man for Dublin)

1. I also said it's because Dublin alone are unfairly advantaged and splitting them helps to reduce this unfairness- this is actually the main issue and I don't see what is hard for you to understand about this. If they weren't unfairly advantaged, I wouldn't want them split as I have no personal animosity towards Dublin. You said Dublin have brought the game on- there have been tactical innovations, by Dublin and others, but the game is undoubtedly a worse spectacle than it was 15 years ago. And Dublin absolutely play a blanket defence, despite what you falsely claim. Nothing illegal about it, and so do other teams, but they do it.
    2. It's quite simple- given that the provincials exist, we should try to make them fairer. They also feed into the All-Ireland series. So while we can abolish the provincials, and I'm happy if they are, we should still split Dublin.
    3. I focus on Dublin's unfair advantages as it is the most important issue in the GAA today. It's true to say that everything else pales in comparison. If there were other similarly pressing issues, I would focus on them instead, but there is not. I don't go into the Dublin GAA thread because this thread was set up to take over discussion of this topic as otherwise every thread would lead back to it eventually- I'm happy to abide by this rule. Also I don't want to disrupt the discussion on that thread, if people want to discuss other matters without talking about this, that is fine by me.

I've dealt with how splitting Dublin helps Leitrim in my last post- please reread it.

I'll repeat my previous question which you again ignored, despite me answering all your questions, repeatedly: Why don't you want to grapple with the three main advantages I identified namely massive population advantage, enormous funding that is disproportionate no matter how it is measured vs everyone else and playing all consequential games at home?

It also increases their chances of winning both the Connaught Championship, and the All-Ireland, as Dublin's unfair advantages are dispersed across several teams, rather than concentrated one. This benefit is marginal to begin with, but will increase as the year's progress. Not splitting Dublin, and continuing with the unfair status quo, will cause the exact opposite to happen in every step here, causing interest and participation to want. I'm not sure what is difficult to understand about this?

No, it doesn't increase their chances. Dublin being split into 2, 4 8 or even 16 teams has no bearing on how well Leitrim do in Connaught. Or Tipperary in Munster. Or Armagh in Ulster. None. Zero. If Dublin had been barred from the All-Ireland for the last twenty years, Leitrim's championships would have played out the exact same all 20 times. The Exact same. Until you admit this, every single word out of your mouth is suspect.

Your refusal to even acknowledge this, never mind accept it, speaks volumes. You're pretending it increases their chances in the provincials, because, to admit otherwise, scuppers your entire starting point in the debate. Splitting Dublin will not have any impact on their season. It is not for their benefit, like we keep saying. It is to benefit all of the teams that have been playing second fiddle to the Dubs in those 20 years. Like Kerry. Your own county, that you wouldn't admit to being from for so long, remember? Are you ashamed to be a Kerryman?

It does have a bearing- Dublin's unfair advantages harm every single county and every single part of the competition. People rightfully think the status quo is unfair and it's harming interest and participation, as well as the previously discussed damage to the prestige, integrity and fairness of the All-Ireland. This effect is most pronounced in Leinster of course, but it impacts every county in every province. So while the impact on Leitrim would be marginal to begin with, it would indeed help them and it would become more pronounced as the years progress.

The thing is it wouldn't even matter if it helps Leitrim- if something was simply a net positive, i.e., helped more people/counties than it harmed, then that would be enough to proceed with the reform. But this isn't even the case for splitting Dublin as it helps all counties- it's one of the few reforms you can truthfully say this about. You also clearly don't care about Leitrim but instead just want some justification for why Dublin should not be split; unfortunately the evidence is so overwhelming that they are unfairly advantaged that you will be waiting for that kind of evidence forever.

No, it doesn't have any bearing on how well Leitrim do in Connaught. Suggesting otherwise makes you look like a fool. They still have to face, and beat, the other Connaught teams before they can face a Dublin team that has been split in, say, four. They haven't done that since 1994, so a weakened or strengthened Dublin team has literally no bearing on how their championship goes. Which means that your entire premise of "I want to split Dublin to help Leitrim" is a lie. Splitting Dublin doesn't help Leitrim. But we all knew that already.

The thing is it wouldn't even matter if it helps Leitrim

And here we have the latest volte face. You're now trying to pave the way for a "it wasn't about Leitrim anyway" excuse when your ENTIRE argument for splitting Dublin was to help the smaller teams. You're realising that your argument about splitting Dublin helps Leitrim is nonsense, so now you're trying to distance yourself from it, as if it doesn't matter. This is your argument, remember? That you're looking out for the smaller counties and that's why it has to be done? Now, today, you're saying it doesn't even matter?

We're beginning to see behind the curtain.

• Advertisement

You're not engaging with my response, you're just asserting the same debunked points over and over. See my post #8836 from yesterday- it discusses in detail how splitting Dublin helps Leitrim, and indeed helps everyone including Dublin. Essentially a split helps all parts of the All-Ireland competition, including provincials, and all counties who compete in the competition. So it's beneficial to Connaught and Leitrim.

My entire argument for splitting Dublin is to eliminate the unfairness in Gaelic games today and enhance the prestige, integrity and fairness of the competition and reduce the harm from the terribly unfair status quo, where Dublin alone are unfairly advantaged. This helps all counties.

By contrast however, if someone was to propose a reform to say, ensure kickouts go past the 45 metre line, this would help some counties and harm others. It would help counties with excellent high fielders for instance but harm counties who have perfect short kickouts. In this case, where the reform doesn't help all counties, we could measure its overall impact on the game, while admitting that some counties would benefit and some would be harmed. If it's net positive, then the GAA should go for it, even if some counties lost out. But this isn't a consideration when it comes to splitting Dublin as it's been repeatedly proven that it helps all counties. So I fully stand by what I said- splitting Dublin helps all counties but other reforms, which have a more nuanced cost:benefit analysis, can be assessed differently. For instance, I'm also in favour of pooling sponsorship and funding for all counties- this would massively benefit the likes of Leitrim and Carlow, to the detriment of the better-funded counties. But as I want to help the GAA as a whole, I would be delighted for the GAA to proceed with it. But the beauty about splitting Dublin is it is one of the few, arguably the only, reform that will truly help every single county.

As I've said before though, you don't actually want to help Leitrim, you just want Dublin not to be split and are trying and failing to come up with reasons why this would be justified. And are trying to divert the thread away from the key issue, which is Dublin's dominance based off of an unfair platform of population, funding and home pitch advantage, among other things. Luckily I am here to bring it back to the real issues!

"You're not reading my responses" he says, as he ignores everything in my response and doesn't address the points made.

"See my previous post" he says, in reply to a post calling him out for referring others to his previous posts.

"this benefits all counties" he says, which means that it doesn't help Leitrim because if everyone is helped, then nobody is helped.

You're not reading what is being asked of you, deliberately, and not responding to you because it blows your argument out of the water.

Here it is, again, in plain English

If Dublin had been dissolved in 2003, how much further would Leitrim have gone in the Championship in each (or any) year since then? Would they have gone farther in the competition now that there's no Dublin team? Would they have won more matches? Be specific now, which years would they have performed better and why? Or would it have had no bearing on the matches they played because they didn't play Dublin once and their summers were over before they got the chance to do so?

It is obvious to anyone with a brain what the answer to this question is, including yourself. But to admit that the last answer is the correct one means admitting that splitting Dublin does nothing for these teams. Which shows yor argument up for the nonsense that it is. So you won't admit it, even though it's as plain as the nose on your face that it wouldn't help them in the slightest.

You are a fraud.

I have the poster @gaffer91 on ignore now as it is clear there is no sincerity what so ever in that particular poster. I would also question whether the poster has any real interest in the GAA at all. As the posters sole focus seems to be Dublin and Dublin off the field issues. The fact profiles can no longer be hidden does have it's advantages.

The poster does not even want Dublin to get a new stadium if spilt. There is no talk of the logistics of a Dublin spilt who will fund it? The GAA? The poster not only wants Dublin spilt but spilt into divisions. What would this mean for Dublin hurling? Real hurling people nationally have for years being hoping for a consistent strong Dublin hurling team. How would a Dublin GAA split affect Dublin hurling administratively? Currently Dublin GAA run both football and hurling. However with any split it will mean a dilution of Human Resources. That is just a fact.

The poster falls to see how the amount of funding given to Dublin was and is necessary due to economies of scale and issues unique to Dublin.

There is no talk of how a Dublin spilt would affect the GAA. What other county would bring in as much revenue for the GAA? Which directly and indirectly goes back into other counties. What other county would fulfil that void for the GAA?

That particular poster refuses to acknowledge (even once) the amount of development done by Dublin GAA for the GAA as a whole. The poster refuses to acknowledge how Dublin brings more funding and revenue back to the GAA than any other county. This is despite Dublin funding being cut by 450,000. Many other counties run deficits and are supplement by the GAA and indirectly by Dublin GAA. GAA HQ's biggest earner (both directly and indirectly). It also most populous area of the country. Crucial to the survival and betterment of Gaelic Football.

The truth is Dublin are a net contributor to the GAA directly and indirectly.. Many other counties are drains on GAA finances. They are net recipients rather than net contributors.

It is not lost on me that JP McManus giving every county in Ireland 1m for their clubs has meant that many get much more per capita than others due to the number of clubs and population etc. It will be very revealing in subsequent years to see which counties used the funding successfully for their clubs/infrastructure. Or which counties clubs wasted the finances received as there was not those capable enough within the clubs to benefit from it.

It will certainly weed out the well run clubs in counties, v the ones that are run on a wing and prayer.

As a whole as the DCC is very well run as other posters have pointed out. However, instead of saying "well run" they use the term "professional" which itself is untrue as we all know the players are amateurs. We had another poster pointing out the list of professions of the Dublin players from 2017 included students. And students are "professional" apparently! Playing fast and loose with the definition of the word. Completely ignoring the fact that counties all over Ireland have had and do have students playing for them at one time or another.

That is the level of debate on this thread. If you go back much earlier on this thread you will see how poor the knowledge posters had of Gaelic Football and Gaelic Games. Using Declan Darcy as a point to try and disparge Dublin football with. Calling him a Leitrim man. But not knowing anything of the GAA parentage rule.

The whole goal of many on this thread is to paint Dublin football as some form of bogeyman. To disparage achievements to fail to acknowledge the importance of Dublin GAA (in particular football and to a lesser extent hurling).

The whole objective of many on this thread is to call for the destruction of Dublin Football. With no talk of the consequences, no talk of a plan, or no talk as to how the GAA could replace such a void both practically and structurally. What would sponsors and marketeers make of a spilt. Would it discourage or encourage a sponsor to be drawn to a smaller unknown brand?

It is very noticeable that when possible amalgamations of other weaker counties are mentioned posters go quiet. Something which can be done far more practically than “spilts”, as stadiums or land could be sold off where required. Or stadiums could be used in rotation.

The new geographical areas could be a larger county at national level. With each county (as is) within that "constituent county" maintaining some autonomy. For trials of players and so on.

Imagine the excitement for a new Leinster North East team consisting of Meath, Kildare, Louth and Armagh would create for example. The trials from each county for the new LNE team could be televised as a series on TG4 each week bringing in even more revenue. Ultimately improving the infrastruture and standard within those counties. Louth are struggling to fund a new ground, while Kildare, Meath and Armagh are among the biggest underachievers in Gaelic Football with no real success for decades at senior level. Eventually a competitive team that could challenge teams such as Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone could be created. It could be easily done just for a national level amalgamation, keeping the counties as is for the provincials if they wish. It would strengthen the GAA nationally, not weaken it.

The truth is Kildare, Meath and Armagh do not look capable of having the rise that Derry has had in recent years going from Div 4 to winning Div 1, challenging for Sam, AND winning the all-ireland club championship.

The truth is the administrators, managers etc in Kildare, Meath and Armagh are just not as capable as Derry. Nor does it look like they will be in the foreseeable future. That is not a Dublin issue that is their own county's ineptitude over many decades. But yet it is much simpler narrative for some to create the Dublin bogeyman.

How have I defrauded you? I've answered all your questions truthfully and directly.

All those statements are true in your case though. You aren't reading my responses (or at least, are not trying to digest the evidence and grapple with it), it's perfectly okay to direct you to previous posts when I have answered your questions multiple times already and splitting Dublin does benefit all counties. It is positive for everyone.
    I can't answer the specifics to what would have happened to Leitrim if Dublin had been split in 2003 (around when the GAA proposed it). Anymore than we can't say in a specific way what would have happened to Dublin if Cluxton hadn't played with them from 2005-2023; we know he would have been a loss and that they'd have lost games they may otherwise have won, but we don't know which games, in what way, by how much etc. I know a lot about gaelic football and have been proven correct repeatedly over the course of this thread but I am not all-knowing either! 

But similar to how we can say that about Cluxton in a general sense, we can also say that in a general sense, Leitrim would have benefited had Dublin been split in 2003, as the impact from the enhanced prestige, integrity and fairness that would have resulted from a split of Dublin filtered down to them. So they'd have gone further in the competition at least some of the time, if Dublin had been split. They'd have won more matches. As I said before, the benefits would have been marginal to begin with but would have become far more pronounced as the years progressed. Even basic things like playing a Dublin divisional side in a qualifier say, who is nowhere near as unfairly advantaged as the current Dublin team, would have left Leitrim with a far more likely chance of winning the match, so a big improvement on the status quo.

Granted there was less urgency for a larger split in Dublin at the time, as the overfunding had not kicked in in earnest, so it is far more pressing and beneficial to Leitrim to split them now, and by more. But even back then and until a decade or so ago, I was only in favour of a two-way split. Unfortunately, due to the ongoing unfairness, a 4+ split would be necessary to really help the GAA and all counties.

Now that I've addressed that (again), how do you propose dealing with Dublin's unfair advantages in population, funding and playing at home?

No need to go on ignore, I'm always happy to continue this discussion, it is an important topic for the GAA. As I said before, I do tend to focus on this issue but only because it is so important to the GAA.

I've already answered your questions about the lack of a need for a new stadium, how the overfunding for Dublin was disproportionate by any metric. Not splitting Dublin will cause a reduction in revenue in the longer term, while splitting them will increase it- not only from the additional games, but also the enhanced interest as fairness increases (not to mention intra-Dublin rivalries will will probably become well contested and hotly anticipated events). Dublin's funding should absolutely have been cut given the scale of overfunding for the last 20 years but it won't nowhere near far enough- sponsorship should all be pooled and distributed and it will now require decades of underfunding of Dublin to level up the long term average across counties. I've also dealt with amalgamations- voluntary ones can be offered. But Dublin should be split regardless.

You still haven't addressed the question I previously raised so please do so in your (no doubt very lengthy) next post: Why don't you want to grapple with the three main advantages I identified namely massive population advantage, enormous funding that is disproportionate no matter how it is measured vs everyone else and playing all consequential games at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Yep i have also put the Kerry poster on ignore , its is indeed very clear he has no interest in the GAA, he is 100% anti Dublin , that's all he posts about , pathetic really .

I can't answer the specifics to what would have happened to Leitrim if Dublin had been split in 2003 (around when the GAA proposed it). Anymore than we can't say in a specific way what would have happened to Dublin if Cluxton hadn't played with them from 2005-2023; we know he would have been a loss and that they'd have lost games they may otherwise have won, but we don't know which games, in what way, by how much etc.

You can, you're just dodging the question because it proves you're talking out of your hole.

Cluxton being missing from the team would have had a direct impact on many games because he would have played in them, if fit.

Dublin being dissolved in 2003 would have had ZERO impact on Leitrim's games, because none of them were against Dublin.

Do you accept this? If not, why not?

But similar to how we can say that about Cluxton in a general sense, we can also say that in a general sense, Leitrim would have benefited had Dublin been split in 2003, as the impact from the enhanced prestige, integrity and fairness that would have resulted from a split of Dublin filtered down to them.

Playing in a 'better' competition doesn't make you a better team.

Even if it did, all this benefit would have filtered down to every team, meaning they all benefitted, no? So any extra benefit would have been negated by the opponents also getting this extra benefit, no? What argument are you trying to make here?

So they'd have gone further in the competition at least some of the time, if Dublin had been split. They'd have won more matches.

This is pure speculation, being offered up as fact, when you've pulled it out of thin air. Which matches? How would they have performed better in a match against a [insert County here] if Dublin didn't exist? I also asked you to be specific, which matches would they have performed better in? What rationale are you using? You're not using any, are you? You're just pretending this is the case because to admit the truth means your entire argument falls at the first hurdle.

Even basic things like playing a Dublin divisional side in a qualifier say, who is nowhere near as unfairly advantaged as the current Dublin team, would have left Leitrim with a far more likely chance of winning the match, so a big improvement on the status quo.

They wouldn't have played against any Dublin divisional side though, because Dublin don't play in their province. Every single game they played would have been the exact same because it would have been against the exact same opponents who received the exact same benefit that Leitrim did (aka Sweet Fcuk All). And they still wouldn't have made it out of Connaught.

They would have gone no further in the competition than they did in reality.

Because having a stronger or weaker Dublin in the competition has no impact on these counties.

Because it's all a load of make-believe that you've conjured as a smokescreen for your anti-Dublin shite.

No I'm recognising the limits of my knowledge, as everyone should. I can't answer the specifics anymore than I could have for Cluxton not being present for Dublin.

Cluxton not being present = Dublin being less competitive, but I can't say exactly which games.

Dublin being split = Leitrim being more competitive, but I can't say which games.

So, I don't accept it. Because splitting Dublin helps all counties, it would also help Leitrim, even if it is only in a marginal way to begin with for the reasons I've already given, multiple times. Even though Dublin obviously don't compete in Connaught, the benefits would have been felt there as the current unfairness impacts every part of the the inter-county game. And we don't even have to consider how splitting Dublin would help Leitrim in qualifiers, All-Ireland series etc as even you, in your hopelessly partisan view, can clearly see the benefits from splitting Dublin to Leitrim (and all other counties) there.

• Advertisement

Dublin being split = Leitrim being more competitive, but I can't say which games.

How, though? How would they have played better against County A if County B had been split into 4? You've put forward no rationalisation for this whatsoever. If Dublin didn't exist, and they never played Dublin, then the results would be the same. You've not explained how them being split would benefit other counties other than some wishy washy nonsense about prestige. 4 times now I've said that any benefit that Leitrim would receive would also be received by their opponents during this period and you've failed to acknowledge or respond to that point every time.

And we don't even have to consider how splitting Dublin would help Leitrim in qualifiers, All-Ireland series etc as even you, in your hopelessly partisan view, can clearly see the benefits from splitting Dublin to Leitrim (and all other counties) there.

This is you being a fraud again.

I never said those words and you are inferring my meaning incorrectly. I am on the record as saying splitting Dublin would be HARMFUL to the weaker counties, and I stand by that assertion. You are putting words in my mouth, words that I neither said nor meant to say.

Here's a simplistic take on it:

If Leitrim are the worst team in the country, then there are 31 other counties ahead of them in the pecking order….i.e. they are 32nd best team.

If Dublin get split and all 4 teams are better than Leitrim, then Leitrim are now the 35th best team, with more potential opponents that can beat them.

Advertisement