Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Nah playing in a hurling province , is a bigger advantage than population, also when you consider the huge funding Kerry get over the weaker Counties sure its no wonder they won a ridiculous 84 Munster's and 38 All Irelands , I Don't believe Leitrim/Longford are heading for a weeks training in the Sun next week , they mustn't have the funding , Its obvious Kerry have more funding than most . If Kerry supporters were honest with themselves they would recognise that the success came in large part because of the funding they get and playing in a hurling province. It's hard to take pride at all in such a victory as it's not a fair competition , Now the follow on question should be is how we reduce the unfairness , and its with a heavy heart i'd recommend splitting Kerry to disperse the advantages , thankfully with the help of god Dublin Tyrone etc have helped to stop the Kerry domination , but with the super team they are putting together with the 2 in a row player of the year and his brother etc , it looks like that domination is set to take off again. Hopefully Dublin Tyrone Mayo Derry etc can hold them back until the inevitable split happens . Thanks for coming back ,tis great crack this tread is , so it is .😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

I see Leinster match is either Longford or Croker depending on who wins between Meath and Longford. I assume it’ll be Dublin’s fault if it is in Croke Park again. I’d love a trip to Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That's a pretty desperate clutch at straws there, Dunny. There's loads of evidence out there that the overloading of funds to Dublin GAA is the main reason for the successes which kicked off in 2011. You on about hurling provinces, Kerry funding etc. is only a smoke-screen.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/confirmed-role-played-bertie-ahern-funding-dublins-dominance-110034

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Fair enough.

Shure we better add Derry to the list of teams to split in 2. 😀

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

London already has a team.

No,Dublin needs to be split. We cannot ignore the population changes since the 1880s. I'd bring a rule reviewing these thing every 150 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭gaffer91

It's not about saying something is "Dublin's fault". Nobody here has any axe to grind with Dublin, I don't at least, I just want the GAA to take steps to rectify the unfairness that exists in Gaelic Games. It's not Dublin's responsibility to ensure games are played in neutral venues, of course Dublin will want what is most advantageous to them. It's the GAA's responsibility to ensure the playing field is level. And they've completely failed in that effort (and not just in allowing Dublin home advantage constantly for finals and semi-finals, also by overfunding them, among other things).

This is absolutely damning stuff and just more of the overwhelming evidence that has been provided over the course of this thread on how Dublin are uniquely advantaged. The issue is some Dublin supporters will initially just deny that Dublin alone have been financially advantaged by the GAA and their sponsors over all other counties. When these denials cannot be maintained any longer, they deny that funding makes any difference in sport, which is clearly ridiculous.

Pieces of evidence like this detailing the unique way Dublin have been favoured have provided hundreds of times over the course of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

"Nobody here has any axe to grind with Dublin"

At least this fella has a sense of humour on April Fool's Day…..

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I mostly agree with you. I think no team other than Dublin should be split, as Dublin are the only team uniquely unfairly advantaged. So we agree on 32 out of 33 teams competing in the All-Ireland.

Again Kerry are also uniquely unfairly advantaged so they also should be split 🪓 So we agree 32 out of 34 teams competing in the all Ireland.😂

Oh but you do have an axe to grind with Dublin , You want Kerry to continue to dominate Munster 82 ridiculously easy titles , leading into 38 unfairly won All Ireland titles , Dublin halted this Kerry advantage and you whinge , i just want the GAA to rectify the unfairness that exists in the Gaelic Games ,It's not Kerry's responsibility to ensure games are played in a fair way for all Counties , of course Kerry will want what is advantageous to them. Its the GAA'S responsibility to ensure the level playing field is level . And yes they've completely failed in that effort(and not just in allowing Kerry to compete in a Hurling County but also in there superior funding over weaker Counties like Leitrim Longford Carlow Sligo etc

Post edited by dunnerc on

Indeed this is absolutely damning stuff the evidence provided on this thread has clearly shown that Kerry are uniquely advantaged for over a 100 years , playing out of a hurling province uncontested giving them a huge advantage in the All Ireland series , the issue is one Kerry supporter in particular will initially deny that Kerry have gained an advantage over 100 years playing in Munster and have also gained an advantage by there sponsors over weaker Counties like Leitrim Carlow Longford etc, when these denials cannot be maintained any longer , they deny that playing out of Munster for the last 100 years makes any difference , and that the superior funding they get over the likes of Leitrim and Longford etc makes any difference in sport , which of course is clearly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

Any word on gilroy coming back as the water boy?

If one county is spilt that will set a precedeent Colm O'Rourke has spoken about this for years. It will also make almagations of other smaller counties much more likely.

Think of it logically. Louth, a team with some great players like Sam Mulroy but will never win a national title, nor even get an all-star. Meath a division 2 team for most of the last 20 years who have done nothing of note for the guts of those two decades. A county where the taiteann cup was celebrated like an AI proper. Armagh a team who has not won ANY silverware for a decade. And Kildare a team in crisis who suffered the ignominy of losing all of their league games in divison 2 despite having some very decent players. They also managed to draw to Sligo in last years championship.

Would Louth, Meath and Armagh, Kildare amalgamate based on Geographic location for example?

That is the reality so people on these pages should be careful what they wish for because if one county "spilts" then ALL counties are fair game. It baffles me that posters do not have the foresight to It will also likely mean complete restructuring of the "provincial system" as well (which is badly needed). If posters are REALLY serious about a Dublin spilt they have to also consider the possibility of amalgamations of counties that are currently struggling. It is done with GAA clubs no problem why not counties? The counties are British creations after all, and it would give the GAA a chance to put their own "Irish" spin on things.

Then particularly in Dublin you would have probative economies of scale, due to Dublin building costs availability of land for a new stadium. The DCC as it is decided that a second stadium was not economically viable, in the Spawell for example, Dublin would need a 25,000 Stadium. And in these pages I have described how the cost for the Tyrone Centre of Excellence was cheaper than the cost of the just the land Dublin had in the Spawell alone. The details of which I already posted on these threads. In inner city Dublin there is a dearth of playing areas and space.

Would the GAA be willing to fund a new stadium, and administrative centre for a "new" Dublin team? Money taken away from other GAA counties and money that could be spent on GAA grass roots.

What would happen Dublin Hurling as a consequence? Where would it be run from? Who would run it? Would Dublin hurling get even weaker as a result of a second Dublin team?

I think that there are many on these thread that do not understand (or refuse to see) the issues Dublin GAA have as it is. There are clubs that serve massive catchment areas which have done nothing for years Thomas Davis and Round Towers Clondalkin for example, both of whom have to compete with soccer. Which many counties outside Dublin do not have to compete with Meanwhile in other areas of Dublin there are too many clubs.

The fact is in Dublin vast areas of the county are GAA wastelands in the leafy suburbs of D4 there is no big senior Dublin club. Because Leinster rugby rules the roost in D4.

The reality is if Dublin Football and more broadly speaking Dublin GAA is weak. That means the growth of the GAA will be be severely weakened. Meaning other sports would take over. Currently Dublin are a glamour team to follow for youngsters they capture interest along with a strong Irish Rugby team, along with Leinster Rugby etc.

If there is no Dublin as we know it, which counties and teams would fill the vacuum that a spilt Dublin would leave?

It is certainly not going to be Meath or Kildare as I do not foresee both of those counties doing anything on the national stage in the major competitions anytime soon. So amalgamations of such counties creating a new brand is the obvious alternative to capture the eyes of the youngsters and marketing people.

Also there is the fact that Dublin football has brought the level of Gaelic Football forward. We have seen how Kerry have watched Dublin and changed tactically. Derry are also an excellent counter attacking side, like Dublin. Teams take note of what Dublin are doing tactically.

Only for Dublin football, the sport would be still labouring against the so called "blanket defence" trend from about 2010. Dublin Football showed the way for other counties and the game has never been as tactically intricate. Even Goalkeeper role which Cluxton revolutionised has been built on by other counties. We saw iin the league final how Odhran Lynch for Derry pushes right up the pitch as the norm, creating chaos for opposing defences, not knowing whether to press him or leave him be.

If there was no past Dublin "dominance" there would have been nowhere near the same level of innovation and tactical nous that there currently is at the higher level of Gaelic Football. There would still be a lot of teams with nearly all their men behind the ball, and terrified to/unable to counter on the break. In my opinion Kerry have tried to copy Dublin (they are just not as good at it) and lesser teams such as Meath now see Kerry and Dublin as the "template".

https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/o-rourke-wants-meath-to-follow-dublin-and-kerry-template (2023)

From the article above -

"During this year's League Meath struggled to find the right balance between defence and attack and O’Rourke’s ambition to play an expansive brand of kick-passing football was derided as naïve by some."

O'Rourke said -

“I don't think anybody should think that they know more about it than anyone else. As far as I'm concerned we should copy Dublin and Kerry and basically the same way as they play, I don't see why not, they are the two most successful teams."

“It's just that it's taken quite a while for our defensive structure to cement in but it is getting better. We do want to play a fairly fast-moving kicking game if at all possible but it doesn't always work like that. If there's 15 men behind the ball, we're not going to be kicking it in high and hoping for the best."

“We weren't great on turnovers during the League. We were poor on that, which showed we weren't tackling well. We have improved on that. We weren't great on opposition kick-outs during the League, we would hope to have improved on that. They're the fundamentals."

I have thought it through logically. That's why I'm in favour of splitting Dublin alone. I don't amalgamations, so long as they are voluntary. The reason that they can stay voluntary is because teams like Louth, Armagh etc. (or indeed any other county except Dublin) are not causing irreparable damage to the competition by being the beneficiaries of a terribly unfair setup. However, in Dublin's case, as they are uniquely unfairly advantaged, they should be treated in a unique, (although still positive) way and be split on an involuntary basis if necessary as it seems there will never be sufficient buy-in from their own supporters for a split to happen. In my view, this is misguided, as Dublin will benefit as much, if not moreso from a split than all other counties, but I recognise the reality of the situation we are in. I'm also okay with a complete overhaul of provincial championships, as long as Dublin are split first.

Regarding a second stadium, this has been dealt with numerous times over the course of this thread, so I won't rehash old ground. In short, there is no need for a new stadium. The new Dublin divisional sides can all share Croke Park and Parnell Park. Given the short duration of Gaelic Football games, this will be easy to facilitate with some scheduling considerations. While this is not an ideal solution, it is clearly far, far better than the status quo where Dublin maintain all of their unfair advantages in a single team and continue damaging the prestige, integrity and fairness of the All-Ireland competition.

Gaelic Games are not struggling in Dublin, contrary to what you claim. There is adequate number of clubs and players and the funding that Dublin alone have received have gone some way to developing the sport there (this itself is not objectionable, the issue is that Dublin alone were favoured, despite all their other innate advantages). There is also a lot of competition from other sports outside of Dublin- this seems to be completely acknowledged by people who think everywhere outside Dublin is GAA only. A better way to view things would be to assess what would happen without a split- a continued decline in interest as people realise it's not worth the time, money and effort to play or follow the sport in this currently terribly unfair environment.

I'll have to disagree here as well. Gaelic Football is a far, far worse spectacle than it was 20 years ago. Tactically better but definitely a worse sport. Far too much handpassing, too few difficult points (every shot is from 25 metres and fairly central now), too little kickpassing and high-fielding etc. This isn't Dublin's fault entirely, and as long as changes are within the rules of the game, we can't really complain as of course teams will just do whatever is tactically sound. But to pretend it has improved the quality of the game is just wrong. Teams do counter-attack but often can't do so at sufficient pace and then are met with a blanket defence- this isn't a thing of the past, it still happens in every game.

But the quality of the game would matter less if we knew things were in a cylical rut and that teams would have the capacity to innovate and improve. But instead what we have a is a period of permanent near-dominance for Dublin off a platform of enormous population, overfunding and home pitch advantage. It's understandable that players and supporters are getting annoyed and disillusioned in this environment.

• Advertisement

Interesting why Dublin "alone". And your post implies that Dublin MUST spilt involuntarily. Yet any amalgamations have to be voluntary? Why that distinction?

If the goal is "fairness" in the GAA surely all counties should be treated the same as long as it brings about fairness in the GAA.

I would argue it is not Dublin who are causing "irreparable damage" to the GAA. Dublin have clearly brought forward the last 20 years or so.

Division 1 in the national league has never being as strong. What is causing "irreparable damage" to the GAA is the antiquated provincial structure. And teams such as Armagh, Meath, Kildare who need to be amalgatmated because they are drastically underachieving in the current set up. Poorly run counties despite their infrastructure, relative wealth (compared to most counties) and have large populations as well.

Remember when teams progress following the provincials. That is when the AI proper begins. When the last time you can remember that Armagh, Kildare and Meath showed "obvious" progression outside the provincial set up. Nevermind within it.

Gaelic Games in Dubiin is struggling in parts as I as I have already stated. Clontarf are not doing well in football, the massive catchment area of Clondalkin is just served by one club Round Towers. It has been decades since Thomas Davis from Tallaght has had senior success. You speak of Dublin as if it is one homogenous group. There are clearly defined soccer, rugby and GAA areas Dublin. Much more so than other counties in Ireland.

A weakened Dublin team (split) will mean a weakened GAA, losing massive numbers to other codes. As it is on a national level since 2013 Dublin clubs have only been successful in winning the AI club title on three occasions (Vincents, Boden and Kilmacud). Mullinaughta of Longford and Rathnew of Wicklow have beaten Dublin clubs in recent times.

The most recent Dublin All Ireland Club win was thanks to the imported Galway man Shane Walsh, who will soon be followed with his countyman Comer. Country clubs outside Dublin not have to suffer the import of stars like this. The reality is Dublin club football is more likely to benefit country lads living in Dublin than Dublin players themselves. Dublin again maintaining the standard of GAA for the country as whole.

The dynamics of Dublin GAA is a far different one to any other county in Ireland. The GAA is very dependant on Dublin whether you like to admit it or not. If Dublin are spilt who will fill the void? Who will draw the crowds? Who will inspire the most number of young impressionable minds? They will likely just move to other codes and the GAA will be worse because of it. Unless there are amalgamations in other counties for the good of the game. Which you feel extremely reluctant about, for some reason.

The reality is the largest population is always in the capital City. Before Dublin's success with Heffernan in the 70's. Gaelic Football was viewed as a "cluchie sport". The fans on the hill used to sing "You'll never walk alone". The Dublin centric songs had yet to appear. The most current successful Dublin clubs were founded by country people who moved to Dublin, from outside Dublin.

A spilt Dublin is not going to have the same "pull" the marketing men will look elsewhere, youngsters will be drawn to other codes.

It is not lost on me that you seem extremely reticent on the amalgamation idea (voluntary), yet are extremely enthusiastic about a Dublin spilt (involuntary). That to me is very telling of itself. As you seem to have implicity considered the implications of potential amalgamations, but not the implications of a Dublin split.

I wonder why that is?

You casually say new "Dublin divisional sides" (plural) would share Croke Park and Parnell Park!! What about teams from the Southside? Do you know what Dublin traffic is like?

A new stadium would be needed if there is a Dublin spilt in order to have a home, a place in the community. To create a fanbase etc. That is what the GAA is about. Community.

Your roughshod idea seems very ill thought out and is just mainly intent on spitting Dublin by hook or by crook to hell with the practical consequences of such a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If it was only a case of Kildare, Meath, etc losing year in year out to Dublin in Leinster that would be fair enough, and possibly then you'd have to look at making things fairer.

But Kildare and Meath are not really competitive against anyone at the moment. If either of these counties could somehow get their house in order, success and the occasional victory over Dublin would be possible. In my view something has gone badly wrong with these counties. How on earth can a Monaghan, Tyrone, Roscommon, Donegal etc be competitive year in year out and regularly be in Division 1 of the league but Meath and Kildare have done nothing for years.

As for other counties, Mayo are chokers and need to address that. They choked against an average Tyrone team in 2021 for example. Nothing to do with Dublin dominance. Cork are similar in big games. Tyrone are very inconsistent, win an AI, and do nothing for years after. Kerry are heavily dependent on Clifford, and keep him quiet and they struggle. But yet they are far better than most other counties. Derry is the great white hope this year I would say.

Exactly I have said this about Kildare and Meath. On this thread I even listed their loses to teams besides Dublin in the championship and qualifiers etc. As many from Meath and Kildare were using Dublin as an excuse. It was shocking stuff.

The reality is I suspect many in the GAA as a whole are extremely thankful of the trojan work Dublin have done in the evolution of Gaelic Games. Meath and Kildare have not doing anything of note for Gaelic games in their own county never mind nationally.

The proximity of Meath and Kildare to Dublin should be advantagous University's that their young lads go to. Training etc. The areas of Meath and Kildare are some of the fastest growing populations in the country. Yet somehow they are STILL underachieving.

Maybe some Dublin GAA people should be sent in to "babysit" both counties? Is that what they want? Are Meath and Kildare fans calling those in their county boards thick?

As they clearly don't seem to know what they are doing. Kildare and Meath should not be struggling against the likes of Westmeath, Carlow, Wicklow, Sligo.

Meath have had a "centre of excellence" since 2015 total cost 4.2m 23 acres of land.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2015/09/20/dunganny-gaa-facilities-officially-opened/

Maybe they should rename it "Centre of underachievement"? Still in division 2 at the time of writing 2024.

I mean Meath had to go back to basics with O'Rourke a complete rebuild after years of pure sh!te. He openly admits that he is trying to copy Dublin's style.

Turlough O'Brien has said that Kildare are "not in touch with the modern game" https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0218/1433022-naive-kildare-not-in-tune-with-modern-game-obrien/

Could you get any more damning criticism ?

And I have seen a lot of Kildare over the years the players are there. So anyone who says that is the issue are lying, IMO.

Kildare and Meath have to look at the gowdaws running their County Boards, instead of enviously looking at what Dublin have achieved.

Kildare and Meath GAA people should be thanking Dublin for evolving the Gaelic Football, beyond rigid defences, with little or no movement. Now Gaelic Football which has never seen a higher standard of division 1 play IMO.

It is up to Kildare and Meath to get their acts together as simple as that. Otherwise an amalgamation of the counties with others should come sooner rather than later. Maybe a deadline should be set?

Derry by contrast are a team that have shown what can be done, by a team playing to their strengths they do not have a deep panel, they do not have many clubs. This is a side who recently was playing div4! But I would argue whoever beats Derry (in the championship proper) will likely win Sam.

If I was from Meath or Kildare I would be really ashamed of my own county, to be honest.

Population Kildare - 246,977 

Population Meath - 220,826

Population Derry -  237,000 (and half don't even play GAA) - it is really about 115,000.

Well it's very simple why Dublin alone must split involuntarily but other amalgamations can be voluntary, I addressed in the last post and numerous other ones besides. It's because Dublin have a set of advantages in population, funding and home pitch (among others) that is unique in its combination, nature, scale and duration. As has been explained countless times, people don't have a problem with Dublin's success- if they won fairly, I'd be delighted for them and the first one to congratulate them. People have a problem with their success coming from an unfairly advantaged position as it does and has done. Becuase these unique advantages only exist in Dublin's case, only Dublin should be split. Some of their fans may complain, yes, but it's for the good of the game so Dublin will benefit as much, if not more, than anyone else. So it's because the goal is fairness, and not in spite of it, that Dublin alone should be split.

Other counties underperforming is not causing irreparable harm to the game, which is why amalgamations can be offered voluntarily in their case. I already agreed on provincials so no need for further discussion there and have already addressed the competition from other sports around the country- you completely understate how competitive things are, you probably don't have a clue is the honest truth and are uninterested in understanding something that may contradict your partisan worldview.

A split Dublin will have significant pull, it will not be long before new loyalties develop. And don't forget, without a split, interest will wane not just in Dublin, but in all counties, which will eventually be the death knell for the sport. And a shared stadium will not detract from the sense of community as people see their clubmates and regional representatives compete for Sam Maguire. As I said, it's not ideal but far, far less dangerous not splitting Dublin and far more practical than building a new stadium. Travel times will still be less than within other counties, plus it will remain walkable for many, or people can use public transport options. Don't forget people from the Western Seaboard have to drive for hours sometimes for home games, never mind when they are playing finals and semi-finals in Dublin's home stadium!

So it is clear that:
    1. Dublin alone are the only county uniquely unfairly advantaged, therefore they alone should be split
    2. Other counties can be offered voluntary amalgamations but there is no urgency with this as Meath, Kildare playing poorly does not harm the game, unlike Dublin's unfair success
    3. There is significant competition from other sports outside of Dublin, more so than in Dublin in many counties in fact
    4. There is no need for a new stadium after a split- Divisional sides can share Croke Park and Parnell Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Never read some much bollocks in a while. Dublin are where they are because they are basically a professional outfit. If Derry, Kerry , mayo or anyone else was in Leinster they would be in the same situation as kildare or Meath. They might compete for a year or two but not over the long term, is impossible. Basically like Accrington Stanley competing with man city.

I would also argue Kildare have been over achieving underage in the last ten years on beating Dublin regularly at schools, minor and u20. It doesnt follow through to senior because they don't have the financial backing Dublin have very simple.

If I was from Dublin I would be ashamed to be honest winning all those all Ireland's by cheating no different than man city.

Better off making the whole thing professional and at least it would be a level playing field , the dubs celebrating winning every second all Ireland due to their professionalism is quiet frankly really embarrassing.

But the problem is Kildare and Meath are not losing in a fair competition- the deck has been stacked in favour of Dublin. It's easy to see how interest wanes for players and supporters given this environment. Only be reducing the unfair advantages Dublin have can it really become feasible for Kildare and Meath to get their houses in order.

People used to say 10 years ago that Dublin's success was cyclical. I think we can say now, 8 out of 10 All-Ireland's, and every Leinster title, later that this is not the case. It's success that has been acquired unfairly, and it's a structural problem. The GAA needs to reduce this unfairness, urgently.

I addressed this in my own response to tobefrank321, so please read that so I don't have to repeat myself. I'm glad you accept that population is an enormous advantage though and think Kildare and Meath's relatively large populations are grounds for additional shame given their relative underperformance in recent years. But then look at Dublin's population relative to both- over a million more than either, on top of other advantages! This is what I am referring to when I say the deck is unfairly stacked in favour of Dublin currently.

If Kildare and Meath had populations the size of Dublin, funding like Dublin, home advantage like Dublin and were achieving their current results, then yes, it would be embarrassing. But this can't happen. What can happen is we split Dublin to reduce their advantages, and enhance the competition and sport for all counties.

Exactly, I think any Dublin supporter taking any pride in their recent successes really needs to take a look at themselves, analyse the situation dispassionately, put the partisan feelings aside and recognise that they have been unfairly advantaged. And then think about how best to address those advantages. Trust me, if success comes fairly, it is much sweeter than when the competition has been stacked to benefit Dublin alone. This is one of many reasons why a split will help Dublin as much as any every other county- they can't take any pride in their successes of recent years. After a split, this will no longer be the case.

You are proving my point Kildare have been successful at underage why have the players have not come through. It is not bollocks it hard facts. Sometimes the truth hurts. Senior level at Kildare has been inept for a long long time.

If remember correctly Dublin were not in div2 and all ALL their games. Like complete and utter gobshites. Who's fault is that? Were they thinking of Dublin/ Kildare have players like Daniel Flynn who loads of counties would love to have.

What financial backing have Derry have they came from Div4 to Sam contenders.

The "professional" Dublin stuff is the biggest spoof going. They all work and many have real intense jobs like Dr. Jack McCaffery.

The only time Kildare were ever successful at senior was when they got a load of blow in's. A Kerry man as manager with his son, a Cork player, A Tipp man etc.

Beyond racing I don't think the "best in class" are the administrators in Kildare. Kildare GAA is just badly run. If you give money to people who cannot run things properly it will be just wasted.

The "East Coast Project" was announced back in 2016.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-to-target-east-coast-in-response-to-big-growth-in-population/34900748.html

Maybe Kildare and Meath should be designated as "weaker counties" like Leitrim back in the 90's where Delclan Darcy (Dublin born, Leitrim parents) played for Leitrim before he made the Dublin panel.

There could be a "five Dub" limit for Meath and Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'm personally tired of people using the Dublin excuse as a way to excuse their own county's mistakes.

How is it Dublin's fault that Mayo are chokers for example? Mayo should have easily beaten Dublin numerous times in the last 10 years and were much the better team for large portions of games. You look at teams like Mayo and some of their decisions and choices are abysmal, guys taking pot shots from the sideline trying to be the hero, instead of passing it inside. Same happened in their game in the league this year against Kerry. This is easily coached out of players, not rocket science and yet you see it happen time and time again. Rank amateur approach to game management. NOTHING to do with Dublin. Mayo would have 3 or 4 AIs in the last 10 years if they knew how to keep their heads.

Tyrone seem to go awol after they win All Irelands. Donegal always have great players but only seem to play properly under McGuinness. Derry should always be there or thereabouts, amazing how they went off the boil a few years ago.

Its not Dublins fault Meath and Kildare are average outfits these days in every senior competition. How can Monaghan outperform either of these year in year out? Again nothing to do with Dublin.

Dublin are beatable if you have a proper game plan, proper game management, a bit of discipline, and 9 or 10 half decent players. If you get in their faces as Derry did on Sunday and Mayo did in 2021 they are beatable. Unfortunately not every team does this.

Advertisement