Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

wrangler wrote: »
    There,s a small farmers group

What's the name of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

What's the name of that?

Irish Family Farm Rights Group

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Irish organic farmers and growers

Irish Family Farm Rights Group

This one's around a good while, maybe 20 - 30 years, A guy called donie shine was at the head of it when I was involved

• Registered Users Posts: 29,211 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Put in a bin here with auger system that was meant to be hooked up on installation in may, still hasnt been done, they tried to get 2 independent lads up to do it and they where a no show wouldn't answer phones, they are sending up their own lad this week, luckily I didn't pay them the first day as I knew they would never of been back to wire it up if they had got money
    Electrician came this evening his promised to be back Thursday. Scrapers are in but no power in shed yet or lights

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    Irish organic farmers and growers

Is that not just Apache Pizza though?

Only joking. I'll make up a revised list later on ..just in case there's any more mentioned in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Jesus, some of the photos are heartbreaking to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Odelay

Works out at about €45 a head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

This one's around a good while, maybe 20 - 30 years, A guy called donie shine was at the head of it when I was involved

Donie Shine and Thomas Gunning were the 2 main men behind that group I think? They had a plan to visit all the marts in the republic to try and drum up support a few years back if I remember correctly. Abolishing the 4 movement rule seemed to be one of there most definite proposals.

Baling 100 acres of square bales of hay on the Yorkshire farm - nice and green and straight in and stacked in barn. Neighbours called in - 5 tractors on the go...

Hay at 20% moisture - "if it is fit to be baled - it's fit to be stored". Wouldn't take that chance of storing it immediately after baling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Odelay

Baling 100 acres of square bales of hay on the Yorkshire farm - nice and green and straight in and stacked in barn. Neighbours called in - 5 tractors on the go

Wtf?

Edit, guessing you’re talking about something on tv.

Baling 100 acres of square bales of hay on the Yorkshire farm - nice and green and straight in and stacked in barn. Neighbours called in - 5 tractors on the go

A great family, they all work

Odelay wrote: »
    Wtf?

Edit, guessing you’re talking about something on tv.

Yes, Sky 105. Our Yorkshire Farm on Channel 5 - repeat +1 on 205

Clare Library were the first to digitise records - I remember reading a report from UK which stated Irish didn't know how to save hay, that it should be saved while green. I'll see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭emaherx

Yes, Sky 105. Our Yorkshire Farm on Channel 5 - repeat +1 on 205

Clare Library were the first to digitise records - I remember reading a report from UK which stated Irish didn't know how to save hay, that it should be saved while green. I'll see if I can find it.

Hay should be saved green just rare we get conditions here to do so.

The Irish Farmer's Journal is around a long time.

https://www.dia.ie/architects/view/1732/DUTTON-HELY

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Paddy O'Keeffe lived to a great age. He was the first editor.

Keeping the lights on 24/7 gets the hens to lay more eggs, keeping the grass looking greener using virtual reality headsets to get the cows to produce more milk is being experimented on.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/11/26/russian-cows-virtual-reality-headsets-a68316

• Advertisement

Keeping the lights on 24/7 gets the hens to lay more eggs, keeping the grass looking greener using virtual reality headsets to get the cows to produce more milk is being experimented on.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/11/26/russian-cows-virtual-reality-headsets-a68316

Are you sure that's not a piss take site?

Are you sure that's not a piss take site?

Has to be, shape of those VR Goggles would be outside of the cows field of vision for a start.

emaherx wrote: »
    Has to be, shape of those VR Google's would be outside of the cows field of vision for a start.

And messing with lights for laying hens is industry standard for years so I'm sure someone had tried 24 hour light developing the light protocols

And messing with lights for laying hens is industry standard for years so I'm sure someone had tried 24 hour light developing the light protocols

In other news: :D
    https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2019/11/27/farmers-asked-if-theyd-give-government-a-hand-moving-printer/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Anyone watching the programe on quarries.....no way they can enforce the law against quarries but god help you if you change a window on a house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Anyone watching the programe on quarries.....no way they can enforce the law against quarries but god help you if you change a window on a house

Yep - real banana republic stuff:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭kk.man

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yep - real banana republic stuff:rolleyes:

Absolutely scandalous on all levels. Failure to get or extend a licence seems to be the best news a quarry operator can get. It's real cowboy stuff after the local authority rejection.

A quick Google shows hundreds of sites including the BBC reporting it this morning all with one cow wearing what looks like an oversized cheap headset that holds a phone. Screen appears to be in the middle of the cows forehead but cows eyes are on the sides of their heads. So it has to be BS.

Why would a cow be calmer if she sees she is in a field but is unable to move about freely as she's being milked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Car failed the NCT this morning. No surprise. Was out in it yesterday evening for the first time in a week when it was dark and noticed one dipped headlight gone. No where open to get a bulb at that stage. Plus it's a prick of a job to change (in through wheel arch, remove battery compartment, etc)

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    A quick Google shows hundreds of sites including the BBC reporting it this morning all with one cow wearing what looks like an oversized cheap headset that holds a phone. Screen appears to be in the middle of the cows forehead but cows eyes are on the sides of their heads. So it has to be BS.

Why would a cow be calmer if she sees she is in a field but is unable to move about freely as she's being milked?
    It's a wind up from a Russian site.

Cow thinks she's in an open field. Ah this is lovely. Cow runs across field. Cow runs into wall. Cow dead.

My guess it was a test to see just how gullible the western media have become.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement