Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭emaherx

Panch18 wrote: »
    Hydrogen is surely the fuel of the future, particularly for things like tractors and trucks

I think in China the buses are skipping the electric phase and going straight to hydrogen

It should be, but it always seems to be of the future and not so much of the now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Panch18 wrote: »
    Hydrogen is surely the fuel of the future, particularly for things like tractors and trucks

I think in China the buses are skipping the electric phase and going straight to hydrogen

I worked with Hydrogen before for industrial applications. It's a lethal gas. Highly volatile. 10 times more flammable than petrol.
    I wouldn't like to be in a hydrogen car if it ever crashed.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I worked with Hydrogen before for industrial applications. It's a lethal gas. Highly volatile. 10 times more flammable than petrol.

What would it be used for?
    Or would you need a team of highly skilled professionals if you told us :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Theres the catch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The batteries are able to be repurposed for electric storage when their capacity to hold a charge goes down low enough to require a change.

The whole zero emissions advertising is annoying, though. There are plenty emissions but they are so far away from their usage that they're largely ignored by the users.

That's the greens policy - the likes of Eamon Ryan want to export all our emmissions from manufacturing, farming etc to third world countries were the damage is out of sight and mind for his naïve electorate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

You wouldn't be in it for long

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

We are putting a few loads if stone around the oudside of the GAA pitch to clean up the walking/running circut thats used for the healthy club. We used "3/4 inch down" last year, but it git mucky after a few wet nights of 100 people doing laps. What would the best stone to use now.
    We are going to roll it in. Would "1 inch clean" or "3/4 clean" be a better job? We dont want it too rough fir people running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Jb1989

We are putting a few loads if stone around the oudside of the GAA pitch to clean up the walking/running circut thats used for the healthy club. We used "3/4 inch down" last year, but it git mucky after a few wet nights of 100 people doing laps. What would the best stone to use now.
    We are going to roll it in. Would "1 inch clean" or "3/4 clean" be a better job? We dont want it too rough fir people running.

Takes the clean stone to help drain. Anything 'down' looks great in summer but a mess in winter, 3/4 or 1/2 '' clean be my preference

• Registered Users Posts: 29,182 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Tina Turner is 80 today. Still simply the best

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What it needs is soil removing down maybe 150mm
    100mm of clean stone to give it strength and drainage
    Top off with 50mm 3/4 down.

If you don’t have a blinded topping you will have loose stones constantly rolling on the surface, it will be uncomfortable to use and worse a trip hazard which nobody wants.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    What it needs is soil removing down maybe 150mm
    100mm of clean stone to give it strength and drainage
    Top off with 50mm 3/4 down.

If you don’t have a blinded topping you will have loose stones constantly rolling on the surface, it will be uncomfortable to use and worse a trip hazard which nobody wants.

We have a very limited budget. 2 loads of stone and 2 days with a roller is all we have money for. Its a 500m stretch, so it'll be a temporary measure

We have a very limited budget. 2 loads of stone and 2 days with a roller is all we have money for. Its a 500m stretch, so it'll be a temporary measure

There is funding available for these walking/running tracks. Leader have funded plenty round these parts, they are well used too.

Probably late not but even mypex under its would have kept the mud down

_Brian wrote: »
    There is funding available for these walking/running tracks. Leader have funded plenty round these parts, they are well used too.

We have exhausted our leader funding on other projects

The electrician was to arrive yesterday to work on my shed. No answer all day yesterday on phone. I rang this morning on my dad's phone and he answered straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

whelan2 wrote: »
    The electrician was to arrive yesterday to work on my shed. No answer all day yesterday on phone. I rang this morning on my dad's phone and he answered straight away.

You should try getting out an electrician here. Ive a better chance of winning the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Jb1989

And said what?........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Jb1989 wrote: »
    And said what?........

oh f***

Jb1989 wrote: »
    And said what?........

I'm working in a basement so coverage is very bad. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,168 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Where or how is the money coming for these stock in Carrick on Shannon?

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/carrick-winter-fair

Is it just like the piebald horses here 15 years ago or the tulip bulb craze in Holland in the 1600's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Am I right in saying that beam and bdgp payments are due in December? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

Am I right in saying that beam and bdgp payments are due in December? Thanks

Yeah the BDGP has always been paid in December i think and the BEAM is supposed to be paid in December also, whether it will or not is another matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Is it just like the piebald horses here 15 years ago or the tulip bulb craze in Holland in the 1600's?

I suppose it's a club of interested individuals the same as the blackie breeders in Scotland and no outsider knows the whole story. It definitely makes for some interesting viewing, I was Carrick last night and there was a great atmosphere among a large crowd of mostly spectator's. A lot of the high priced transactions seem to be between breeder's, you buy mine and I buy yours ect. An occasional outsider eager to get in on the action is where they make there money imo, having said that there's serious prize money earned over the summer with some of those stock. A friend bought a pure bred Texel ewe last back end for €500 and has that and more earned back from showing her during the summer.

Fair play to all involved you can knock them all you want but there's literal blood, sweat and tear's involved to get that far. A neighbor got €3500 for a heifer weanling in it but he lives and breathes cattle, there's some effort expended on them. I could watch Tom Cox (auctioneer) all day, he must have serious job satisfaction lately. Between €5000 for Martin O'Connor's incalf heifer, €10,000 last night in Carrick and the upcoming Xmas cracker sale in Elphin he's front and center of all the headline sale's reports of late. Despite all the negativity around livestock farming I can't help but feel better after watching that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

There's zero chance that ten grand or anything remotely near it will change hands for that calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    There's zero chance that ten grand or anything remotely near it will change hands for that calf.

The man that was juding the charolais calves, a scottish man bought her, he was jusdging a show in wales earlier that day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I suppose it's a club of interested individuals the same as the blackie breeders in Scotland and no outsider knows the whole story. It definitely makes for some interesting viewing, I was Carrick last night and there was a great atmosphere among a large crowd of mostly spectator's. A lot of the high priced transactions seem to be between breeder's, you buy mine and I buy yours ect. An occasional outsider eager to get in on the action is where they make there money imo, having said that there's serious prize money earned over the summer with some of those stock. A friend bought a pure bred Texel ewe last back end for €500 and has that and more earned back from showing her during the summer.

Fair play to all involved you can knock them all you want but there's literal blood, sweat and tear's involved to get that far. A neighbor got €3500 for a heifer weanling in it but he lives and breathes cattle, there's some effort expended on them. I could watch Tom Cox (auctioneer) all day, he must have serious job satisfaction lately. Between €5000 for Martin O'Connor's incalf heifer, €10,000 last night in Carrick and the upcoming Xmas cracker sale in Elphin he's front and center of all the headline sale's reports of late. Despite all the negativity around livestock farming I can't help but feel better after watching that video.

Hes some auctioneer alright, tell him what ya want and hell do his best to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Put in a bin here with auger system that was meant to be hooked up on installation in may, still hasnt been done, they tried to get 2 independent lads up to do it and they where a no show wouldn't answer phones, they are sending up their own lad this week, luckily I didn't pay them the first day as I knew they would never of been back to wire it up if they had got money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,168 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

IFA
    ICMSA
    ICSA
    BEEFPLAN
    INHFA
    INDIVIDUAL FACEBOOK FARMERS GROUP
    INDEPENDENT WHATSAPP FARMERS GROUP
    ICA
    MACRA

Have I left any out?

• Advertisement