Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

What happened yours, if you don’t mind me asking?

We have a solid fire one as well, and when it’s going it’s great. But I’m sorry I put it in, awful lot of messing with it and takes a while to get going...

My grandmother fitted it new in the 60s. Originally a boiler model for hot water, but when the boiler burnt out the cooker was converted to a dry stove as the immersion had taken over water heating.

A leak from the firebox into the oven about led to the firebox being relined about ten years ago, technician said it was in great shape for age.

But last year in started leaking smoke again, from the flue box, which we repaired. And then replaced when it had burnt out totally. Then last week it started leaking smoke from around the hot plate, I thought maybe the rope seal had gone, but when I lifted the plate the whole structure underneath had collapsed, and what was left went with a poke of a finger. After 65 years she was totally worn out.

Lonesome after it now.

What happened yours, if you don’t mind me asking?

We have a solid fire one as well, and when it’s going it’s great. But I’m sorry I put it in, awful lot of messing with it and takes a while to get going...

Plan is to replace this one with another solid fuel one. Dad is home to light the fire and keep it going. I intend to put an oil one in my own house in the new year just for convenience of having it on a timer, out at work all day and no point trying to light a fire at 8pm when I come home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Plan is to replace this one with another solid fuel one. Dad is home to light the fire and keep it going. I intend to put an oil one in my own house in the new year just for convenience of having it on a timer, out at work all day and no point trying to light a fire at 8pm when I come home

That’s what we found with ours as well. Missus is at home these days, so it’s grand...
    But we used to be home at 6, and then twould be 8 or 9 before the range was going proper...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Only problem with the oil ones - is that if the electricity goes out so does the range. They depend on an electrical pump. Have had both - I'd prefer the solid fuel ones tbh if I had to choose ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

gozunda wrote: »
    Only problem with the oil ones - is that if the electricity goes out so does the range. They depend on an electrical pump. Have had both - I'd prefer the solid fuel ones tbh if I had to choose ...

We have a Stanley oil range. I like it to be fair but we really don’t use it enough for cooking, it’s wasted in that regards which is a pity. I know what your saying that if the electricity goes your without heat but in fairness it rarely goes these days and if it does not for long. Plus If the oven is already hot it keeps the kitchen warm for a few hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

Went to country crest in lusks open day. sweet Jesus, the gear they have is unreal. the young lad wouldn't get out of the cab of an absolute beast of a fendt! Tears ensued!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

enricoh wrote: »
    Went to country crest in lusks open day. sweet Jesus, the gear they have is unreal. the young lad wouldn't get out of the cab of an absolute beast of a fendt! Tears ensued!

Yep, they’ve nice stuff. They rent ground up around me here.
    Whenever ya see they’re two combines going ya know they’re around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yep, they’ve nice stuff. They rent ground up around me here.
    Whenever ya see they’re two combines going ya know they’re around.

Yeah, 2 new Holland 192s in the corner of one shed!
    Fair play to have an open day especially with Ireland's compo culture! Place was thronged today

gozunda wrote: »

I’d prefer solid fuel too tbh but the plan for my own house is to do all the cooking on it too. Still don’t know what the right move is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I've just spent the last two hours on licence.ie trying to renew the dog licences and it has to be the most annoying site I've ever had the misfortune to come across. It totally refused to accept my eircode and had to do renew the dogs individually.

I'll be going to the post office in future:(

I had a similar experience with car tax recently - website refused to accept the name of my insurance company:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

I’d prefer solid fuel too tbh but the plan for my own house is to do all the cooking on it too. Still don’t know what the right move is

Are you planning on cooking on an oil stove during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I met up with a friend last night that's quadriplegic since a quad accident five years ago, his courage and positivity was unreal and only surpassed by the courage of his wife.
    The powers that be have realised this too and bring him back to the rehab unit to show that there is life after such trauma.
    All in all a humbling experience

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Saw this pop up on Facebook.

This seems wrong to me, surely this releases a phenomenal amount of micro plastics into the ground and ground water systems.

Is this common in horse arenas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Odelay

_Brian wrote: »
    Saw this pop up on Facebook.

This seems wrong to me, surely this releases a phenomenal amount of micro plastics into the ground and ground water systems.

Is this common in horse arenas?

I agree. It is a very good business, probably getting paid to take in the raw material and then paid again for the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See cormac tagging have increased their tag prices. They are now dearer than mullinahone. Mullinahone have a new website.

My sister got a Renault zoe. It's an electric car. Seems to be a great job. She reckons it's a lot cheaper to run than buying fuel. She would be in traffic alot in Dublin. She got a charger installed at her house and got a grant towards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    My sister got a Renault zoe. It's an electric car. Seems to be a great job. She reckons it's a lot cheaper to run than buying fuel. She would be in traffic alot in Dublin. She got a charger installed at her house and got a grant towards that.

Yeah but all the Grant's are going to be stopped shortly and you will be charged for the public charging points in future aswell. It was free upto now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Odelay wrote: »
    I agree. It is a very good business, probably getting paid to take in the raw material and then paid again for the product.

The same happens with shredded rubber tyres. The company gets paid to take it in. Chops it up. Sells it for arena footing.

These things are all well in good until the horse arena owners have to dispose of the stuff. Then you have the issue of the residue off the chopped tyres leaching into the ground water.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yeah but all the Grant's are going to be stopped shortly and you will be charged for the public charging points in future aswell. It was free upto now

Still for most urban houses it makes sense. So many urban houses have two cars, surely for them one being electric would make sense.

I think Dublin needs a congestion charge, leave fully electric vehicles free access and hybrids half charge. Don’t let electric cars use bus lanes as is being proposed, that would just slow busses and make them less efficient and less attractive.

Still for most urban houses it makes sense. So many urban houses have two cars, surely for them one being electric would make sense.

I think Dublin needs a congestion charge, leave fully electric vehicles free access and hybrids half charge. Don’t let electric cars use bus lanes as is being proposed, that would just slow busses and make them less efficient and less attractive.

I agree fully just dont see it working in the country tho

• Advertisement

She gets 200km out of a charge. A speedy charge takes about 40 minutes. She leaves it charging overnight and is also considering getting a night meter. I think it would suit older people living in the country.

Brian should (well everyone should) find this podcast interesting on how our mass produced modern bread making methods may have not the best interests of our gut health and ultimately brain health in mind.

https://soundcloud.com/farmerama-radio/cereal-episode-1-flour-water-salt

Got through this today when traveling between sites. Really enjoyed it.

Makes a point I’ve long believed, or aparantly “preached” according to some. We hear people saying farmers should be forced to grow this or made do whatever. The best and most effective way ordinary people can influence farming methods and practice is to go out now and buy the produce they want to see farmers farm. Be that organic, free range, cage free or pasture fed. Farmers can’t just start producing a product tuere is no market or demand for. If consumers put their money where their mouths are and started creating a demand you can be sure farming would change to fill that demand.

For a small few it would.

My mum would probably get a week out of a charge.
    Two sisters the same and sister in law too.

It’s important in the conversations about this that all sides acknowledge that electric suits some but not everyone and only those it suits should be forced into them.

Over in the motoring forum practically every post looking for input on what car would be suitable gets inundated with a few forcing the notion of electric vehicles. If you say anything about range the old “Tesla” is rolled out as an example of long range electric, seriously, I’ve seen threads where a poster has a €5k budget to spend and someone recommends an €80k Tesla as an electric car that would suit. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We have 2 electric cars. Leaf 30 does about 160km before getting near to need refuelling, which I use. Have a small van for rough farm work.
    OH has a Kona 64 which will do any long trips for us. Charge both at home.
    Running cost 2c/km. With night meter 1c/km.

VW will be rolling out a range of models soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

Letting them use bus lanes is ridiculous if there truely is a plan to convert most cars to electric as it wouldn't be long defeating the purpose of bus lanes.

Real question though are electric vehicles the new Diesel scandal in the short to medium term?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/25/are-electric-vehicles-really-so-climate-friendly

Also a major issue for many urban dwellers is they may not have the ability to install charges where their parking is not designated soley theirs and current on street parking is very lacking. More investment in Infrastructure and in cleaner forms energy before everyone gets carried away switching to what could potentially be inferior vehicles with little environmental benefit.

Are you planning on cooking on an oil stove during the summer?

Yeah. Does that sound mad?? A man I shoe horses for is a plumber, his oil range does almost all the cooking year round, he has an electric hob in the utility room for really handy stuff.
    His is a double burner, the burner for the heating and hot water can be switched off while the cooker stays working. And vice versa

emaherx wrote: »
    Letting them use bus lanes is ridiculous if there truely is a plan to convert most cars to electric as it wouldn't be long defeating the purpose of bus lanes.

Real question though are electric vehicles the new Diesel scandal in the short to medium term?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/25/are-electric-vehicles-really-so-climate-friendly

Also a major issue for many urban dwellers is they may not have the ability to install charges where their parking is not designated soley theirs and current on street parking is very lacking. More investment in Infrastructure and in cleaner forms energy before everyone gets carried away switching to what could potentially be inferior vehicles with little environmental benefit.

Think the batteries are an issue. Need to be replaced after a number of years and big money to replace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Think the batteries are an issue. Need to be replaced after a number of years and big money to replace

The batteries are able to be repurposed for electric storage when their capacity to hold a charge goes down low enough to require a change.

The whole zero emissions advertising is annoying, though. There are plenty emissions but they are so far away from their usage that they're largely ignored by the users.

The batteries are able to be repurposed for electric storage when their capacity to hold a charge goes down low enough to require a change.

The whole zero emissions advertising is annoying, though. There are plenty emissions but they are so far away from their usage that they're largely ignored by the users.

Like the oil from the Arab states. The importers of the oil get the carbon not the Arab states themselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Hydrogen is surely the fuel of the future, particularly for things like tractors and trucks

I think in China the buses are skipping the electric phase and going straight to hydrogen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement