Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Thats what you call taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Contacted an hour ago.... holding his own... wont be coming home this eve anyway.....nd prob not tomorrow....

Im afraid my little calf is gone to the happy hunting ground . Should have brought him to vet sooner.... a bit anniyed with myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Im afraid my little calf is gone to the happy hunting ground . Should have brought him to vet sooner.... a bit anniyed with myself !

Awww sorry to hear, chin up, happens us all, its another lesson learned for prevention in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Feck. Sorry to hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ya did all ya could

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

That's a pity. Don't be annoyed at yourself, I think you put more effort into him than a lot of lads would. Some things you just can't help

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Feck, that's tough
    It's five litres of beastings that a calf needs in the first three or four hours, That cow obviously hadn't got it, I did it myself years ago. let out the calf without making sure it sucked, found him frozen next day, teats were hard and small, obviously couldn't handle them any way, he died any way.
    I'm nearly obsessive about beastings now in both calves and lambs since

Another point to note is you said the cows teats were dirty, you'd never know what the calf would pick up there. The cows should be clean.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Another point to note is you said the cows teats were dirty, you'd never know what the calf would pick up there. The cows should be clean.

adequate beastings wll combat most dirt, a normal calf will suck all along the cows belly and legs trying to get a teat yet they don't get sick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Walking around the fields in the neighbourhood here it's easy see which ground has good carbon or not.
    Any where it's reasonable the grass is still green and growing.
    Anywhere it's crap the grass has gone all yellow and starving looking.
    And it's not a lack of npk, well it is. The n and p has been leached away from the roots of the crap carbon bad soil life soil.

If there's a bonus to all this rain is that it's an education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

WTF is carbon in the soil ,is it basically organic matter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

If there's a bonus to all this rain is that it's an education.

You're definitely a glass half full type of guy Say my name. Fair play to you

Bullocks wrote: »
    You're definitely a glass half full type of guy Say my name. Fair play to you

There's no point in crying about it. No one would listen anyway. :pac:

I've one field leased that I took the heifers off yesterday to put in the shed for winter.
    It has a depression on the top of a hill covering about three quarters of an acre and it is a lake atm with this rain.
    There's a rath about 50m away on the other side of the ditch. I reckon the builders of the rath carted all the soil when building the rath back probably 1400 years ago. Probably killing two birds with the one stone in getting a handy source of water for themselves and cattle etc.

We're all passing through. If you have your health what else much matters.

cute geoge wrote: »
    WTF is carbon in the soil ,is it basically organic matter
    Kind of. Your soil organic matter is a broad term and all contain carbon; the living biomass, plant residues, humus, dissolved organic carbon, recalcitrant organic carbon and inorganic carbon.

Soil organic carbon is estimated to be around 58% of SOM.

I could have said organic matter either as it wouldn't have made a difference. SOM contributes to nutrient retention and turnover, soil structure, moisture retention/availability, degradation of pollutants, carbon sequestration and soil resilience.

Living microbial biomass includes all soil organisms large and small: from earthworms, beetles to bacteria. They all contain nitrogen, carbon and water, which is held in their bodies and released upon their deaths. They also excrete materials concentrated in carbon - poop, wee, spit and vomit, essential elements in the "stickiness" that creates stable healthy soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

I have finally got the opportunity to fatten my lame heifer. She is now 14 months old now. She is around 330kgs. Got a few bags of finishing nuts. Plan on building her up to 5 kg of meal along with some silage.
    Realistically I'm hoping to have her done in 40 days. She is goin to a local small abattoir. A know a man that works there. He said he will get her in whenever she is ready.
    It's my first time finishing an animal so wish me luck

Off for a night away for my birthday which was last January with my sister. Young lad did the milking this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Odelay

Best of luck. will she be for the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Off for a night away for my birthday which was last January with my sister. Young lad did the milking this evening.
    Odelay wrote: »

Had to laugh reading these in succession:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

Odelay wrote: »

Thanks. I'm actually looking forward to it to be honest. If it works out I might do it again.
    No had a fella lined up for his freezer but he pulled out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Great to hear that she is still doing well. Enjoy yourselves.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    Great to hear that she is still doing well. Enjoy yourselves.

No it's my other sister I'm away with. Sister that was ill is doing well though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Picked up a log of timber in the shed for the fire and it was covered in rat sh1te. You can never be careful enough.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Picked up a log of timber in the shed for the fire and it was covered in rat sh1te. You can never be careful enough.

Have one here, seen him often enough he’s gotta name, Cyril.
    Fecker won’t take poison nor go into the trap. And he’s as clean as a whistle which is an achievement seeing as the shed he’s in has had 4 inches of water in it for the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Parenting 101

_Brian wrote: »
    Parenting 101

At youngest lads parent teacher meeting I was complaining of him being out before school playing football and every other spare minute with a football. He said every other parent that has bern in has given out about phones and playstations, to count your lucky stars

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

At youngest lads parent teacher meeting I was complaining of him being out before school playing football and every other spare minute with a football. He said every other parent that has bern in has given out about phones and playstations, to count your lucky stars

Yep.
    I don’t care what they are interested in as long as it’s no social media rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Yep.
    I don’t care what they are interested in as long as it’s no social media rubbish.

Is boards counted as or similar to social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Yep.

Says he, on social media. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Yep.

Technology seems to be the top jobs now

• Advertisement

Says he, on social media. :D

Like the children with climate anxiety climbing into ''Chelsea Tractors'' SUVs and 4 by 4s after their protests

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement