Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great to hear you're on your way. They'll have the scealllans cut and ready for you to plant when you drop down. You can be isolating yourself, in the veg garden. Two whole weeks, it will be in great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hope this doesn't sound callous or glorying..

But.

The road outside my house is a dream atm.
    I can move stock across it and n'er a vehicle is waiting either end and if there does happen to be someone going somewhere they have great patience atm and likely to give a big salute when the stock are off the road.

Makes a change from cars and lorries trying to beat the satnav and pr1cks pointing to their Rolex.

I could nearly put a tent up on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Back to the 1960s. Let the cows ramble up the road, in their own time. They'll turn into the correct field too, themselves. Stroll up later and close the gap.

Water John wrote: »
    Back to the 1960s. Let the cows ramble up the road, in their own time. They'll turn into the correct field too, themselves. Stroll up later and close the gap.

That's what my father used to and we were remarking that we could nearly do again.

It's eerily quiet. Peaceful though.
    I'd actually love to live besides a quiet road.
    Go for a walk and not fear for your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    They don't do deliveries

Hope to get some fert delivered before the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A helicopter went over here today. It was kind of like when we were young and Larry's helicopter would be going by. Nearly no air traffic atm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

That's what my father used to and we were remarking that we could nearly do again.

It's eerily quiet. Peaceful though.
    I'd actually love to live besides a quiet road.
    Go for a walk and not fear for your life.

I live in the house on the left, literally on the road. Fecking road has gotten much busier recently!! Between folks walking dogs & pleasure drivers it's a pain. I know it's horrid to be cooped up though so grin & bear it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Hope to get some fert delivered before the weekend.

Ye just meant this place dont do deliveries

I live in the house on the left, literally on the road. Fecking road has gotten much busier recently!! Between folks walking dogs & pleasure drivers it's a pain. I know it's horrid to be cooped up though so grin & bear it I guess.

My mother's side of the family came from a house something like that. The back of the house was flush with the road.
    People walking on the road could be looking at you in through the windows eating your dinner.
    I've land taken where there are ruins of dwelling houses on a lane and same thing the walls right on the edge of the lane.

I guess every inch of land was needed times back for farmland and you weren't going to waste it between a house and a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

A helicopter went over here today. It was kind of like when we were young and Larry's helicopter would be going by. Nearly no air traffic atm

Think I’m on the flight path between the curragh and Athlone army barracks, an army helicopter flies by a few times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

[quote="Say my name;

I guess every inch of land was needed times back for farmland and you weren't going to waste it between a house and a road.[/quote]

Yeah I’d imagine when them houses were build there was very few cars on the roads - now a days you nearly want a KM private lane for privacy

My mother's side of the family came from a house something like that. The back of the house was flush with the road.
    People walking on the road could be looking at you in through the windows eating your dinner.
    I've land taken where there are ruins of dwelling houses on a lane and same thing the walls right on the edge of the lane.

I guess every inch of land was needed times back for farmland and you weren't going to waste it between a house and a road.

My house was here before the road, on the 1837 Geohive map it's marked as a dwelling here but no road across the hill, there was a laneway from the left :pac: It was a shop at one stage after the road came so I've really, really deep front windows.

josephsoap wrote: »
    Yeah I’d imagine when them houses were build there was very few cars on the roads - now a days you nearly want a KM private lane for privacy

Maybe it's the army post above.

But you'd wonder if there was a security/defensive aspect to the houses too. Anyone in them would know everything and everyone going the road.
    Perculars wouldn't have a hope without being noticed.
    Maybe it's the thriftiness of smaller farmers though.

Edit: or as LH above, the road came after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

You'd want to hang a few gates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Odelay wrote: »
    You on the way home? Has your father got the cow box ready?

Got a lend of a builders trailer and lie a pallet over me some way i reckon :,)

Better living everyone

You'd want to hang a few gates!

Ha:D I have gates on my front & back street but the yards are open as the hayshed is in there & a way down to meadows. Right side used to have gates but they're the ones now blocking the opposite side! I can just hide in the turfshed & throw clods at people. Be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Odelay

Got a lend of a builders trailer and lie a pallet over me some way i reckon :,)

Good to hear that. You look after yourself lad, times might be strange here, but I think we have most of it managed as best we can.
    If only we could put a roof over the country it would be paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Garda helicopter is the only one I've seen. It's been checking thr hills for walkers

Gemma ODoherty must be feeling better with the chem trails all gone from the skies 🙄

I was checking fences along the road yesterday and our road was busy, I’d say 75% of regular traffic. Haven’t been out on the road in a week now, will be out tomorrow grocery shopping.

ganmo wrote: »
    Garda helicopter is the only one I've seen. It's been checking thr hills for walkers

Planes over here everyday but we are under Trans Atlantic route so they may not be originating from or destined to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Planes over here everyday but we are under Trans Atlantic route so they may not be originating from or destined to Ireland.

There's an App called Flightradar that shows all the active flights worldwide. You can click on the flights over you on the map and get their details. The basic version is free!

edit FYI: only three flights over us at the moment: EI9018 Dublin to Peking just part Howth on it's way to collect PPE, QR8150 Atlanta to Bogata - Qator cargo and VOR9 which is probably the Garda plane flying along the course of the M50.

There would normally be dozens over Ireland!

Rosahane wrote: »
    There's an App called Flightradar that shows all the active flights worldwide. You can click on the flights over you on the map and get their details. The basic version is free!

edit FYI: only three flights over us at the moment: EI9018 Dublin to Peking just part Howth on it's way to collect PPE, QR8150 Atlanta to Bogata - Qator cargo and VOR9 which is probably the Garda plane flying along the course of the M50.

There would normally be dozens over Ireland!

I've that app a good while. Before getting it I used always wonder where planes and people were headed to/from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

there's a heart surgeon living locally, if he's needed urgently , he's collected by helicopter

2 years ago on Christmas Day a mate of mine got chest pains and was taken to A&E.

we heard the 'chopper passing while eating the dinner, actually I later found out he was eating his own when he got the call, fitted a stint in my mate and home for the pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Had a cow calf just there. So far this year, I’ve had four calf- one from a brown swiss cow, two black Limos and a red limo cow. All calves were red bull calves. I know I’ve just jinxed myself now but three out of the four throw out either black or brown Swiss coloured calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Had a cow calf just there. So far this year, I’ve had four calf- one from a brown swiss cow, two black Limos and a red limo cow. All calves were red bull calves. I know I’ve just jinxed myself now but three out of the four throw out either black or brown Swiss coloured calves.

Could be the bull or luck
    I’ve 2 grey CH calves while last years were yellow

Got fertiliser and fence posts delivered today. Guy was saying they are out the door busy, loads of people calling in for rubbish non farming related stuff, he was off to drop bark mulch after our drop.
    Says they thinking of closing the store and taking phone orders only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

_Brian wrote: »
    Got fertiliser and fence posts delivered today. Guy was saying they are out the door busy, loads of people calling in for rubbish non farming related stuff, he was off to drop bark mulch after our drop.
    Says they thinking of closing the store and taking phone orders only.
    Some on here claimed recently too that fencing isn't essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

orm0nd wrote: »
    there's a heart surgeon living locally, if he's needed urgently , he's collected by helicopter

2 years ago on Christmas Day a mate of mine got chest pains and was taken to A&E.

we heard the 'chopper passing while eating the dinner, actually I later found out he was eating his own when he got the call, fitted a stint in my mate and home for the pudding.

A heart surgeon should be more efficient with his time. He should eat the pudding on the helicopter.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

ruwithme wrote: »

Maybe tell the guards that when stock are on the road and cause an accident??

Walked fences and just bought what was needed to replace old broken posts.

What, are people out fencing as a leisure activity, Feckin sad life if they are 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ruwithme wrote: »

When doing a delivery they can stand back from a dirty farmer. it's not as easy in a shop.
    I was getting sheep feed recently and the shop had at least a metre of boxes in front of the counter to make customers stand back.
    I don't even buy the papers now,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement