Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ganmo wrote: »
    That is going to be one awful funeral with the current situation

Was thinking that too. Awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Would check it out normally but with the corona virus, don't fancy sitting in A&E.

A and E is divided in two now
    Coronavirus and non coronavirus
    Both totally separated and dont mix

2 people I know had to go to Vincent's last week, both had x Ray's,no one on trolleys,place was quiet and they were in and out in an hour
    One of them told me the doctor actually had time to sit and chat

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Went to count cattle this evening and jumped off the gate, twisting my ankle. A good mile from home and couldn't foot the clutch. Pain killing me. Had to phone brother to come get me.
    I'd still be there if it wasn't for the mobile. A reminder to all.

How is it this morning?
    I broke my ankle in similar circumstances. When I went in to A&E and they sent me home until the swelling went down. When it did I got the x-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

How is it this morning?
    I broke my ankle in similar circumstances. When I went in to A&E and they sent me home until the swelling went down. When it did I got the x-ray.

Same as myself. They usually wait 3 days or that

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

I think a dna test would be the only way to find out something on the fathers side. The surename changes going back. On one marriage cert the son has a different spelling then his father! I've look through 100's of records at this stage. Annoying because I put in a few details from my mother's side and I've about 60 relatives going back to 3x great grandparents show up in hints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

How long should you keep cattle/sheep/ponies off land that has fertiliser (18-6-12) spread on it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

How long should you keep cattle/sheep/ponies off land that has fertiliser (18-6-12) spread on it?

Depends on how much was spread and the weather.

If it was spread at bag/acre or less, and there was rain in the meantime, then 5-7 days might be OK.

But from the point of view of grass growth, it'd be better to give the fertiliser a chance to be absorbed so that it can do its work and help the grass to grow. At this time of year, the grass growth cycle would about 3 weeks, so keep the animals off it til the grass is greening up and growing well.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

See more footage circulating of Irish calves being abused in French liarge.

No idea of these are planted workers putting on a show or if they are just idiots being hired on to work these places.

https://youtu.be/iK5itoA2TtY

I see plenty of lads spreading in fields with cattle on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

How is it this morning?

Still can't put weight on it. Borrowed 2 crutches, so getting around with them. resting up for the time being anyway.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I got 2 phone calls this morning from places I'd be buying stuff from to ask was I running low on anything and to get it this week if I could as they said there was no guarantee they'd be open next week?

Got a few weeks supply anyway as it won't go to waste but there might be more restrictions on the way for farm supplies and hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

Still can't put weight on it. Borrowed 2 crutches, so getting around with them. resting up for the time being anyway.

Did you give your gp a ring more than likely they will send you for xray.
    A lot of a&e departments are quite so you would be in and out fairly quickly

I got 2 phone calls this morning from places I'd be buying stuff from to ask was I running low on anything and to get it this week if I could as they said there was no guarantee they'd be open next week?

Got a few weeks supply anyway as it won't go to waste but there might be more restrictions on the way for farm supplies and hardware?

They can hardly shut down farm supplies.

I got fencing stuff today. I had a list written out. You are not allowed to leave your vehicle. They come to you and get what you are looking for. A few people came in and they wouldn't give them what they were looking for. A few ignorant fookers beeping horns too to get the staff to come over to them. Another hardware store was closed due to selling stuff not to farmers

What is top soil worth? I think I asked this before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

whelan2 wrote: »
    What is top soil worth? I think I asked this before

€10-20 tonne depending on quality

Sounds like pressuring to me

Reggie. wrote: »

No . If you are not a farmer you can't buy other things in the hardware store. Paint etc cant be sold. They are clamping down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Nice one received today from MyEir, especially as I am no longer an EIR customer.

eir bill notification
    eir refund NO : 100065443 notification

Dear Customer,

After proceeding on our payements server control, we found the following error,

On 02/03/2020 your monthly billing balance was paid in Twice.

For this purpose, you are requested to visit your account service and complete the claim to receive an immediate refund.

Many thanks,
    welcome

Please note this is an automated email.

I got fencing stuff today. I had a list written out. You are not allowed to leave your vehicle. They come to you and get what you are looking for. A few people came in and they wouldn't give them what they were looking for. A few ignorant fookers beeping horns too to get the staff to come over to them. Another hardware store was closed due to selling stuff not to farmers

Presume they are doing deliveries ?

• Advertisement

No . If you are not a farmer you can't buy other things in the hardware store. Paint etc cant be sold. They are clamping down on it.

I know that but I thought he meant meal and the likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I know that but I thought he meant meal and the likes

No, the meal will be allowed to be sold but some of the other farm services who would also supply non farming customers are being pressured to cut out non farming sales and repairs is the way I took it from them.

Not sales pressure, they're paid each month by DD.

No, the meal will be allowed to be sold but some of the other farm services who would also supply non farming customers are being pressured to cut out non farming sales and repairs is the way I took it from them.

Not sales pressure, they're paid each month by DD.

There was about 10 vehicles in the yard when I went today, only 2 of us actually got stuff

_Brian wrote: »
    Presume they are doing deliveries ?

They don't do deliveries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

First flight of many starting now well spaced out anyway reckon theres about 20 definitly no more than 30

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good morning to you too. Post is a bit cryptic, elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Water John wrote: »
    Good morning to you too. Post is a bit cryptic, elaborate.

Flights half empty, flying home from New Zealand at the minute . Social distancing is no problem so far due to lack of numbers.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Odelay

First flight of many starting now well spaced out anyway reckon theres about 20 definitly no more than 30

You on the way home? Has your father got the cow box ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Flights half empty, flying home from New Zealand at the minute . Social distancing is no problem so far due to lack of numbers.

Ah! That makes more sense. Thought you meant 20/30 flights coming over/ leaving and they were spaced out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'd say the coops are finding it hard to justify wages with such fall in demand. Probably trying for sales while they can. Can't blame them. Its not like people will be spending money on things they don't need right now.
    If people order from them rather than the competing store, well that's what a good sales person does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement