Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭visatorro

Dunno is it happening nationally or what is going on but our postman just gave all the children (3 to my bros kids and 2 to mine) Easter eggs. I didn’t meet him myself to size up. But they are delighted. Shur I’m delighted with the thought.

I'm lucky if I get post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭mayota

visatorro wrote: »
    I'm lucky if I get post.

I’m lucky if I don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mayota wrote: »
    I’m lucky if I don’t.

Same as myself. Only bills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

[HTML][/HTML]
    Lidl & Aldi are much better here also. Supervalu was a disaster last time I was there, aisles are too narrow and unlike the other two the SV staff didn't care for any form of distancing.

Went to Supervalu last week and social distancing must have been a distant idea. Aisles full of customers and staff. I left without buying anything, it was ridiculous and I later heard that it was worse later on in the day. I don't mind standing in a queue to get into a supermarket - feel much safer.
    I made face masks yesterday with scrap material I'd around the house. Managed to put together 4 that are washable/reusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement

KatyMac wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

Went to Supervalu last week and social distancing must have been a distant idea. Aisles full of customers and staff. I left without buying anything, it was ridiculous and I later heard that it was worse later on in the day. I don't mind standing in a queue to get into a supermarket - feel much safer.
    I made face masks yesterday with scrap material I'd around the house. Managed to put together 4 that are washable/reusable.

Shopping tomorrow again, decided not to go to SV anymore while this virus is on the go.

In better news, small local shop has implemented a one way system for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Shopping tomorrow again, decided not to go to SV anymore while this virus is on the go.

In better news, small local shop has implemented a one way system for customers.

Our small local shop is great. One way system. You have to wait outside to be told if you can come in. Well stocked and daughter works there too:) hand sanitizer inside the door and gloves for filling fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Gary Lightbody streaming live now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Our understanding of farming and civilization constantly gets pushed back further and further in time.

Farmers in the Amazonia region of South America were growing Manioc and Squash as well as peanuts and sweet potato, over 10,000 years ago. This was a warm time after the ice age and seemingly like wexford atm any ground that was available for tilling was tilled and sowed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52217636

Edit: for context the Ceide fields in Mayo were farmed and walled 5,500 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Gillespy

''Stuff just keeps on getting older and older'' - Graham Hancock. Do you know him? Few good Joe Rogan podcasts with him.

• Advertisement

Gillespy wrote: »
    ''Stuff just keeps on getting older and older'' - Graham Hancock. Do you know him? Few good Joe Rogan podcasts with him.

I think I may have seen one or two of those alright.
    It's amazing to think people were the same then as now.

What's not so amazing is that in a few short years with modern machinery and diggers that traces of those are disappearing for ever. Having been there for thousands of years previously for the want of looking for it and the lack of such machinery.

We don't know that much really about our forebears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I think I may have seen one or two of those alright.
    It's amazing to think people were the same then as now.

What's not so amazing is that in a few short years with modern machinery and diggers that traces of those are disappearing for ever. Having been there for thousands of years previously for the want of looking for it and the lack of such machinery.

We don't know that much really about our forebears.

Talks about just that here. Amazon being cleared for soyabeans and beef without being studied first. Biochar gets a mention too.:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn1MugPalaA

Gillespy wrote: »
    Talks about just that here. Amazon being cleared for soyabeans and beef without being studied first. Biochar gets a mention too.:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn1MugPalaA

I have a feeling their biochar was a particular success was because of their proximity to the waterways of the Amazon.
    The same way that native Americans taught the pilgrims to stick a fish in with each planting of maize. I'd say the Amazon farmers were catching fish and putting that in with their biochar and village waste, etc for fertilizer.

You listen to the regenerative preachers today and THE product if you want to get away from nitrogen fertilizer and it's guarrenteed to be a success for putting nitrogen down is fish.
    All the biochar does is hold onto those nutrients and microbes and start its own soil life metropolis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What is the story with Teagasc these days? Is anyone working in the offices? I sent an e-mail to somone there over a week ago and still no reply.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What is the story with Teagasc these days? Is anyone working in the offices? I sent an e-mail to somone there over a week ago and still no reply.

How’s the ankle Patsy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

How’s the ankle Patsy?

Not too bad, thanks. Still getting around on crutches. Work building up on the farm though.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

These days? Were they ever in the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Supposed to be working from home afaik. I've had a few replies this week to emails from last week but they weren't urgent questions.

Supposed to be starting DG meetings on Zoom in the next few weeks so maybe they're a bit caught up in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Patsy, you aren't hoping he's come out and help on the farm, as you're laid up?
    BTW get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Supposed to be working from home afaik. I've had a few replies this week to emails from last week but they weren't urgent questions.

Supposed to be starting DG meetings on Zoom in the next few weeks so maybe they're a bit caught up in that?

What does ‘DG’ stand for?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Lads I'm in a bit of a predicament, need help from someone better at maths than I am. Mrs. blue won't allow meat to be ate today (Black Friday) I found a bit of salami in the fridge. It's 31% fat and only 19% protein. I made a sandwich of it with a bit of goat's cheese (cheese ok by mrs b's standards).

How much of the sandwich should I give to the dog to avoid going to hell?:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Discussion group

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Discussion group (I think )
    We had a sheep conference call yesterday, worked well if you could stop everyone talking at once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

blue5000 wrote: »
    Lads I'm in a bit of a predicament, need help from someone better at maths than I am. Mrs. blue won't allow meat to be ate today (Black Friday) I found a bit of salami in the fridge. It's 31% fat and only 19% protein. I made a sandwich of it with a bit of goat's cheese (cheese ok by mrs b's standards).

How much of the sandwich should I give to the dog to avoid going to hell?:confused:
    Well calling it black Friday is probably worse than eating the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Anyone ever tear the tendon in their elbow ?
    I've been cleaning back the ditch at the side of the house for the last few days. Working the slasher yesterday evening and with a fairly light swing something went in my elbow.
    Mild pain now but if I straighten the arm and lock the elbow I get an unmerciful dart of pain. It's right on the elbow so assuming can only be the tendon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Eat the crust yourself and give the rest to the dog, and watch him eat it.
    Get yourself used to torture....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

jimini0 wrote: »
    Well calling it black Friday is probably worse than eating the meat.

Had to google that. GOOD Friday is what I meant.......it's the hunger pangs.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Tell the misses that Jesus died so you could eat that sandwich.
    That the meat thing was brought in by a man in a silly hat in Rome.
    And that the man in a silly hat in Rome has zero bearing on whether you get to Valhalla or not.

Or simpler, eat the sandwich, say nothing and file for divorce. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Feck it Blue, had forgotton about that and was going to boil a nice piece of bacon for the dinner. Now you'll have me hungry too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Anyone ever tear the tendon in their elbow ?
    I've been cleaning back the ditch at the side of the house for the last few days. Working the slasher yesterday evening and with a fairly light swing something went in my elbow.
    Mild pain now but if I straighten the arm and lock the elbow I get an unmerciful dart of pain. It's right on the elbow so assuming can only be the tendon.
    My cousin suffers awful bad with his elbows. If he is doin any type of work he has to put on these compression sock. They are really tight bandages/sleeve. It works for him soon light work but no good for lifting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement