Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

MeTheMan wrote: »
    With the lambing done and the lockdown I'm passing the time doing a family tree. Got the free 14 day trial on ancestry. It's amazing the amount of surnames you are related to and don't even know. Really stuck on the fathers side. They weren't (and still aren't) great ones for the paper work.
    Is there anywhere you can get graveyard plans/plots? Loads of unmarked graves where my father's family are buried.

Maybe try Genealogy, they should be able to point you in the right direction?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1288

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Suckler

With the lambing done and the lockdown I'm passing the time doing a family tree. Got the free 14 day trial on ancestry. It's amazing the amount of surnames you are related to and don't even know. Really stuck on the fathers side. They weren't (and still aren't) great ones for the paper work.
    Is there anywhere you can get graveyard plans/plots? Loads of unmarked graves where my father's family are buried.

Check out the Griffiths valuation documents online, a fascinating record. May or may not add to your family tree search but even interesting for anyone looking to fill in a few slow hours. The Census records online for 1901 & 1911 (I think) are also a great resource. We were able to see the old house details, even things like rooms/windows/ outhouses etc. Was interesting to read who the head of the household was, languages spoken/occupation/education levels etc. On the Griffiths maps we could trace one side back to their original farm in the area before we acquired the current plot through marriage. The lad farming the original place still refers to one field by our surname even though "we" are gone out of there 100+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

my favourite family research website.

Subscription. Reasonably priced. Baptismal Records, Petty sessions – Gaol records https://www.findmypast.ie/.

Free. Catholic Parish Registers https://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx very difficult to read the handwriting. Useful to see the original, if you already have a date for the baptism.

Free. Calendar of Wills Index, some transcripts - http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/home.jsp

Free http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Free. Tithe Applotments http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

Free. Griffiths Valuation https://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx If you can’t find the surname, try browsing the townland instead.

Free. Irishgenealogy.ie BMD https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ excellent site.

Free. https://historicgraves.com/graveyards-map

Donation. RIC Ancestors https://irishconstabulary.com/

Free, very helpful site. https://irelandxo.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

It's really worthwhile doing the DNA test. Do it with Ancestry and you can download the results and upload on many other sites including Gedmatch where there are Ancestry groups based on Surname or County.

Its great fun. I discovered that Black Jack Kehoe was a first cousin of a Great Grandmother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

wrangler wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to be bald, not a lot you can do about it though.

I'd love to. I have cows licks everywhere in my hair and they are a pr1ck to settle. If I shave it they still stand up. Baldness would cure them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Rosahane wrote: »
    It's really worthwhile doing the DNA test. Do it with Ancestry and you can download the results and upload on many other sites including Gedmatch where there are Ancestry groups based on Surname or County.

Its great fun. I discovered that Black Jack Kehoe was a first cousin of a Great Grandmother.

Could find a few unexpected surprises too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Grueller wrote: »
    I'd love to. I have cows licks everywhere in my hair and they are a pr1ck to settle. If I shave it they still stand up. Baldness would cure them.

Scientist are still trying to work out the evolutionary purpose of balding in our species - only Chimps in the animal world follow a similar pattern as males age

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Scientist are still trying to work out the evolutionary purpose of balding in our species - only Chimps in the animal world follow a similar pattern as males age

Its really a solar panel for a sex machine.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭straight

Excess levels of testosterone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭straight

Rosahane wrote: »

Is it really worthwhile. Does it just tell you a percentage irish, Scottish, etc. Or is there something more interesting in it. I'd fear mine would be fairly boring as my crowd never travelled far from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Moss won't grow on a good field.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

straight wrote: »
    Is it really worthwhile. Does it just tell you a percentage irish, Scottish, etc. Or is there something more interesting in it. I'd fear mine would be fairly boring as my crowd never travelled far from home.

It would show who visited them like Vikings, the Moors or from the plantations.

Went to count cattle this evening and jumped off the gate, twisting my ankle. A good mile from home and couldn't foot the clutch. Pain killing me. Had to phone brother to come get me.
    I'd still be there if it wasn't for the mobile. A reminder to all.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Went to count cattle this evening and jumped off the gate, twisting my ankle. A good mile from home and couldn't foot the clutch. Pain killing me. Had to phone brother to come get me.

Thats terrible Patsy, happened me at the start of January horrific pain. 6 weeks of minding it because it will be tender. From over compensating my knee,hip, back & neck get really tight....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Gillespy wrote: »
    It would show who visited them like Vikings, the Moors or from the plantations.

And a DNA database for the CIA.

The same way that face older app thingy was for Russia's SVR database.

(Now where's my tin foil hat? I had it last covering my mobile phone but it's. .found it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hope it’s nothing worse than a sprain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

And a DNA database for the CIA.

The same way that face older app thingy was for Russia's SVR database.

(Now where's my tin foil hat? I had it last covering my mobile phone but it's. .found it.)

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Here's a neat little website.
    https://answerthepublic.com/?fbclid=IwAR35iAChhj0JD3jWlhKNa8WMxtoRprJX_HKlKwmPATSEluahkzNxk0jN_XU

You just enter a word and it brings back what questions people Google about that word.

So say you put in "Kerry".
    A common question for Kerry is "Will they beat Dublin?" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Sorry to hear of your accident, you should have it checked out. It happened to me, coming down the stairs; I missed the last step and turned over on my ankle. I was making light of it, but was persuaded later that day to go for an X- Ray. I had an Avulsion fracture of the ankle and it needed a cast for 6 weeks with follow up physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Have you got the swelling down?

It takes away a lot of the pain.

My daughter twisted her ankle by bouncing out of a bouncy castle at public event. I carried her into the red cross ambulance as it was too painful to walk on, they treated it with alternating hot and cold compresses and stuck at it much longer than we would have at home. Swelling went down within half an hour and she walked out of the ambulance , tenderly, but much better than I could have expected.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear of your accident, you should have it checked out. It happened to me, coming down the stairs; I missed the last step and turned over on my ankle. I was making light of it, but was persuaded later that day to go for an X- Ray. I had an Avulsion fracture of the ankle and it needed a cast for 6 weeks with follow up physio.

Would check it out normally but with the corona virus, don't fancy sitting in A&E.

Have you got the swelling down?

It takes away a lot of the pain.

My daughter twisted her ankle by bouncing out of a bouncy castle at public event. I carried her into the red cross ambulance as it was too painful to walk on, they treated it with alternating hot and cold compresses and stuck at it much longer than we would have at home. Swelling went down within half an hour and she walked out of the ambulance , tenderly, but much better than I could have expected.

Got a bag of frozen peas on it when I got home. That seemed to help alright. Making it around with an old walking stick my late father had. Crazy thing is he twisted his ankle in the same field when I was young. He hopped of the tractor when cutting hay. My brother and I had to carry him over under a big ash tree in the corner of the field as it was a scorcher of a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Would check it out normally but with the corona virus, don't fancy sitting in A&E.

Do you gave a minor injuries unit nearby? Or vhi clinic or similar

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do you gave a minor injuries unit nearby? Or vhi clinic or similar

I'm not far from Limerick so I'd say could find somewhere alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

straight wrote: »

Absolutely worthwhile - and for a relatively small cost.

I thought my crowd never travelled far from home also but it turns out not to be the case when you go back more than two or three generations.

For instance, bought a test for the wife at Christmas and discovered that we are related just over seven generations back. As I said. I discovered a connection to Black Jack Kehoe through a decendent of his brother. I had never heard of a family connection to him before presumably because he was hanged for murder and it just wasn't talked about.

As regards the ethnic ancestry, yes it does give an indication especially with the Gedmatch ancient DNA matches and analysis. For instance my forebears are marginally more Northern European than my wife's who are more mediterranean which I think shows the influence of different early migration into Ireland.

The ancient DNA which compares your DNA to DNA recovered from archaeological DNA is very interesting and even shows how much Neanderthal you have - I have more than the Mrs which she says figures :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Got a bag of frozen peas on it when I got home. That seemed to help alright. Making it around with an old walking stick my late father had. Crazy thing is he twisted his ankle in the same field when I was young. He hopped of the tractor when cutting hay. My brother and I had to carry him over under a big ash tree in the corner of the field as it was a scorcher of a day.
    I'm not comparing you to a horse but running cold water over your ankle for 15/20 mins will help :o

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

get it checked out mate , i fell in November and busted my shoulder , it took 2 months to come half right and like a pig i tried to work through it but it was early December before i could hold my own in the team , i had to take November off , first week couldnt even take a tshirt off without cutting it with a scissors , same as you could put no force on it , not worth the pain or the agony mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Base price wrote: »
    I'm not comparing you to a horse but running cold water over your ankle for 15/20 mins will help :o

That or fast running stream/river get the foot in there and it works wonders. Our physio/miracle man sends to the sea or river with any injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just reading there of the death of a 5 year old boy on a farm in Roscommon. Rest in peace little man. God love the family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just reading there of the death of a 5 year old boy on a farm in Roscommon. Rest in peace little man. God love the family

That is going to be one awful funeral with the current situation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement