Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

A non-farming friend found a kid goat abandoned. She didn't pick it up straight away, just checked after 10/12 hours to see if it was still there. At that stage goat was starved and perished and wouldn't have lasted the night, so my friend picked it up and brought it home. I've now acquired it and am wondering do I have to contact Dept or would I be ok with her as a pet? I've never had anything to do with goats, I'm just looking after her as if she was a lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

gozunda wrote: »
    Didn't someone have the narrow gauge railway running there? Any idea what happened to it?

Yes, a guy who owns the old station house and siding has a museum there.
    Amazing variety of old railway stuff, a couple of the little Bord na Mona/Guinness engines, old artillery pieces, aeroplanes ( including the front half of the airliner Queen Elizabeth went on honeymoon in) and an amazing mixture and gatherum of stuff.
    Has a quarter mile of track as well. Used to run a ghost train on Halloween night...

He has an original Irish Loco being restored at the moment. Bouler came back from England last summer, I think it cast something like 80,000 euro to get it rebuilt and tested..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Anyone know much about sleeping pills and the like? Sleeping patterns gone to f#ck zince lockdown between head in me arse syndrome, staying up lats to keep up to date on things in Ireland and no routine or work during the day. Usually get s 5-10km walk in most days as is but its just gone past 5am here now and bearing in mind daylight savings finished tonight realistically its 6am here now and i havent a notion of sleeping however i started dozing around 7pm and thought happy days get the supper and ill sleep through tonight, how wrong i was.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

First swallows just landed. Already sh1tty down the side of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I know this is a virus free zone, but Aussie researchers decided to try Ivermec on the condition, and it seems to kill it off in 48 hours.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

First swallows just landed. Already sh1tty down the side of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

All slurry out today, few sticky spots but nothing major. Then put out some gran lime on pasture, stopped to hacksaw through a loose bolt on the fert spreader & then put out more lime :pac:

Planted more lettuce & some peppers under glass too. I live in hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭emaherx

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I know this is a virus free zone, but Aussie researchers decided to try Ivermec on the condition, and it seems to kill it off in 48 hours.. :D

Ivermectin is actually used in human worm and lice doses too. Don't think the went using Ivervmec super.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Can drainage stone still be delivered?

whelan2 wrote: »

I'm sure it can most places seem to be doing deliveries even if their shop counters are closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not sure if any quarries are open?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Water John wrote: »

Ye that's what I'm wondering. Have a lad coming with a hymac on Thursday. Plenty of work for him but would like to do a few drains too.

There's a place next to us, that sells small loads of sand gravel etc. Their gates a closed at the moment to public but I see large lorries still delivering stock to them during the week.

I've 3 acres to finish. About a weeks work. The digger guy would be delighted with it. I said, not a chance, if nothing else my OH would send me to the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Murang

All quarries are closed for stone ,blocks and concrete except for delivery to hospital for emergency work

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

It all depends who you know but you be asking for favours , the show still has to go on and proper precautions can be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

KatyMac wrote: »
    A non-farming friend found a kid goat abandoned. She didn't pick it up straight away, just checked after 10/12 hours to see if it was still there. At that stage goat was starved and perished and wouldn't have lasted the night, so my friend picked it up and brought it home. I've now acquired it and am wondering do I have to contact Dept or would I be ok with her as a pet? I've never had anything to do with goats, I'm just looking after her as if she was a lamb.
    Good on you. Yeah, rear it as if it was a lamb. Throw up a pic of it if you can.

Technically you have to have a goat herd number and be registered with DAFM.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalidentificationmovement/nationalgoatidentificationsystem/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Persuaded herself to use the new razor and cut my hair.
    Didn’t go just as tight as the barbers but savage job to lighten the load. Like my hair short, not shaved bare but good and short.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    Didn’t go just as tight as the barbers but savage job to lighten the load. Like my hair short, not shaved bare but good and short.

Yea, I bought a rechargeable hair clippers yesterday ....... couldn't stick the long hair .
    It did the job anyway

Brian, she didn't give you the mirror to see the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, I bought a rechargeable hair clippers yesterday ....... couldn't stick the long hair .
    It did the job anyway

If i live to be a pensioner i hope i still have hair i can let grow long

Brian, she didn't give you the mirror to see the back.

We’ve moved on. Video on the phone 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

_Brian wrote: »

Tempted to go at mine with the cattle clippers, starting to look like a ginger yeti. Down to my eyes now.

ruwithme wrote: »
    If i live to be a pensioner i hope i still have hair i can let grow long

I wouldn't like to be bald, not a lot you can do about it though.

Tempted to go at mine with the cattle clippers, starting to look like a ginger yeti. Down to my eyes now.

I’ve thick heavy hair it kinda just sits in a lump if I leave it grow. Family were known as the “wiggies” long time ago and I inherited the wig.

Funny, my two younger brothers are already half bald.

Mine cost only €30,,there's about ten different settings on the topping skids ....hard to do the back of the head though

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Agri lime can still be delivered by BBL https://bbl.ie/2020/03/31/coronavirus-covid-19-policy/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Farney Farmer

Quarries closed here in Monaghan. Could get stone delivered from the north but the guards stopped them crossing the border on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

With the lambing done and the lockdown I'm passing the time doing a family tree. Got the free 14 day trial on ancestry. It's amazing the amount of surnames you are related to and don't even know. Really stuck on the fathers side. They weren't (and still aren't) great ones for the paper work.
    Is there anywhere you can get graveyard plans/plots? Loads of unmarked graves where my father's family are buried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dzer2

MeTheMan wrote: »
    With the lambing done and the lockdown I'm passing the time doing a family tree. Got the free 14 day trial on ancestry. It's amazing the amount of surnames you are related to and don't even know. Really stuck on the fathers side. They weren't (and still aren't) great ones for the paper work.
    Is there anywhere you can get graveyard plans/plots? Loads of unmarked graves where my father's family are buried.

Priest or clergyman will have map
    Local man was able to intervene in a dispute here over a family row. One family tried to claim an unmarked grave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement