Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2020 Babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Well my little fella has been kicking away - but this week his kicks seems a bit more energetic - gave me a fright yesterday. 30 weeks on Thursday - anyone else getting knocked out? It's getting like Alien over here

Loads of movement here too, and sometimes its visible which kind of freaks me out! Dont remember that on my last. Had the 28 week antenatal clinic yesterday, just routine bloods, urine, blood pressure, no scan. Back in at 34 weeks, hoping for time to pass quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Yes larrymickdick lots of kicking here too! On my first pregnancy all the kicks were at night this one seems to be mainly during the day! Which is strange it’s different

32 weeks this week and I’m definitely starting to slow down! Got to 35 weeks on first pregnancy with work not a hope I’ll last that on this! Finishing up next week so thrilled about that! One less thing to worry about!

How is everyone else getting on?
    Anyone else get gestational diabetes! I had it on my first and on this one too! Can keep it at bay with food but it’s such an inconvenience and pain! Hopefully will be easier once I’m not trying to juggle work as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Pocos wrote: »
    Yes larrymickdick lots of kicking here too! On my first pregnancy all the kicks were at night this one seems to be mainly during the day! Which is strange it’s different

32 weeks this week and I’m definitely starting to slow down! Got to 35 weeks on first pregnancy with work not a hope I’ll last that on this! Finishing up next week so thrilled about that! One less thing to worry about!

How is everyone else getting on?
    Anyone else get gestational diabetes! I had it on my first and on this one too! Can keep it at bay with food but it’s such an inconvenience and pain! Hopefully will be easier once I’m not trying to juggle work as well

That’s great you get to finish up soon. Will make a huge difference I’m sure.

Anyone have any recommendations for a maternity swimsuit. I don’t want to spend a fortune as I know I won’t use it too much. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

H&M have maternity swimsuits around 20 -25 euro
    https://m2.hm.com/m/en_ie/ladies/shop-by-product/maternity-wear/swimwear.html.

JoJo Maman Bebe also have swimsuits, but they would be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Blingy wrote: »
    That’s great you get to finish up soon. Will make a huge difference I’m sure.

Anyone have any recommendations for a maternity swimsuit. I don’t want to spend a fortune as I know I won’t use it too much. Thanks.

https://www.newlook.com/uk/womens/clothing/swimwear/maternity-red-one-shoulder-swimsuit/p/639219560?comp=Search this one is nice and not expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

I needed a swimsuit for this weekend andd I found all the maternity ones are really expensive. Found a black one in Dunnes Stores for €15 and bought it in size 20. It fitsfine. Better than spending €40-50 on specific maternity one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

George at Asda have some nice ones and they are not dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

Has anyone looked into maternity pads for when you are in the hospital? I found a good thread about it but I can't remember if it was on here or another forum. they were saying about buying ones in superdrug - they were the best. I just can't remember if they said superdrug's own brand or a brand in superdrug. Baby brain has kicked in fully now

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Has anyone looked into maternity pads for when you are in the hospital? I found a good thread about it but I can't remember if it was on here or another forum. they were saying about buying ones in superdrug - they were the best. I just can't remember if they said superdrug's own brand or a brand in superdrug. Baby brain has kicked in fully now

hopping over from Sept. Boots own brand are pretty good but someone told me after a few days just wear the biggest/best Always pads and I did that last time round and it was so much more comfortable!!

https://www.inhealth.ie/medicare-maternity-pads-10-pack/?gclid=CjwKCAiA4Y7yBRB8EiwADV1haYUcXpq5jteg9nZtCPA1AnPatb3m3FI23ciK9YGrK08Zx9SuFqRYCxoCWGoQAvD_BwE

These are good and what the hospital I'm attending use I think. From what I remember on my 1st pregnancy the hospital do provide them when you are there, you just need to stock up for at home. The ones I've linked are good for use if you're unlucky enough to be bleeding quite heavily. There's no way I would have gotten away with using a high absorbent sanitary towel instead. Boots own brand are good for when the worst of the bleeding has passed.

• Advertisement

OLOL definitely don't provide them. They'll give you a few immediately after delivery & if you run out yourself, but you are expected to bring your own. I've always used the medicare ones for the first few days - double them up if you need to - they are also a great cushion for tender bits. I used the Tesco own brand ones after a few days and they were grand.

The BV ones are supposed to be very good and similar if not the same as what the hospital provide. I bought 2 packs for the hospital https://www.mccabespharmacy.com/bv-maternity-pads-10.html

I also bought a packet of the Always nappies for grown ups too!

I also bought the Boots Maternity pads for when everything eases off! And I have some boots disposable underwear too.

I've historically had heavy periods so just want to make sure I'm well prepared!

Anyone else dealing with restless legs? I actually feel like chopping them off!! Didn't experience anything like it on my first pregnancy, it's such a weird, uncomfortable sensation

Sprites wrote: »
    Anyone else dealing with restless legs? I actually feel like chopping them off!! Didn't experience anything like it on my first pregnancy, it's such a weird, uncomfortable sensation

Yes I did but they settled down. I ate bananas for potassium and had a bath before bed. I soaked my feet in magnesium salts but magnesium isn't recommended now in the third trimester.

Also l previously was sleeping with a pillow in between my knees and when I stopped using that they majorly improved and went away. Hope u get relief soon pregnancy is weird like that how different niggles come & go!

Nickibaby* wrote: »
    Yes I did but they settled down. I ate bananas for potassium and had a bath before bed. I soaked my feet in magnesium salts but magnesium isn't recommended now in the third trimester.

Also l preciously was sleeping with a pillow in between my knees and when I stopped using that they majorly improved and went away. Hope u get relief soon pregnancy is weird like that how different niggles come & go!

Thanks! I will try the bananas, I'm lucky they don't bother me while I'm asleep, only when I'm sitting down in the evening time. Between that and the breathlessness the little window I have to relax in the evening is so uncomfortable! Still, they're minor little side effects, I could be experiencing a whole lot worse

Sprites wrote: »
    Thanks! I will try the bananas, I'm lucky they don't bother me while I'm asleep, only when I'm sitting down in the evening time. Between that and the breathlessness the little window I have to relax in the evening is so uncomfortable! Still, they're minor little side effects, I could be experiencing a whole lot worse

I know still uncomfortable though! I used to just get them in the evening time sitting down and in bed at night. Fingers crossed it clears up for you soon

I hope everyone is feeling well :) Anybody packed their bag yet?

I'm actually due the last week in March, so I was thinking I'll pack the labour bag. Anything over the obvious essentials and usual recommendations that any old hands on here would say were worth including to make the experience more comfortable or bearable?

Candie wrote: »
    I hope everyone is feeling well :) Anybody packed their bag yet?

I'm actually due the last week in March, so I was thinking I'll pack the labour bag. Anything over the obvious essentials and usual recommendations that any old hands on here would say were worth including to make the experience more comfortable or bearable?

It's getting close when you're packing the bag!!

Your own pillow (with a distinctive pillowcase), separate ziplock bags each with a vest, babygro, hat and nappy in them and some Multimam compresses if you plan to breastfeed

Arnica tablets to help with bruising downstairs. Headphones & an eyemask so that you can sleep - first time round, I shared a ward with someone who left their light on all night & spoke on her phone for half the night! And snacks! Pack lots of snacks! Hospitals don't feed you any where near enough & if you are up half the night feeding baby, you'll be starving!

All great ideas, thanks. :)

• Advertisement

All getting very real! Hospital bags are packed. A small bag for delivery then bag for me & seperate bag for the baby. Just this week got the little milton steriliser for sterilising soothers in case I decide to use them in the hospital. Everything else I'm bringing is fairly standard on the list. Those maternity pads take up most of the bag!!

It's getting very real alright, to the point where I'm getting anxious about the delivery. It seemed too far in the future to worry about before :D

Candie wrote: »
    It's getting very real alright, to the point where I'm getting anxious about the delivery. It seemed too far in the future to worry about before :D

I hear ya!! 😂

Just over 34 weeks and starting the packing this week of the hospital bag! Making things get very real! There are good checklists online I just print one and then read others and add to it as I’m going along if there’s anything the original is missing

This is baby number 2 and snacks are a must! You get dinner at 5 ish and then breakfast at 7 the next morning! You are starving in between esp if breastfeeding. Lots of those maternity pads, I had to send my husband out to buy some when I ran out so make sure you have loads bought or ones at home! They suggest 2 packs but I def had to double up the first few days! Sorry if tmi!

I brought make up in and didn’t bother at all! Everyone is different but I won’t bother this time around either! Hate getting make up on their cute babygros and I love new born cuddles to give them up! So make up will be left behind this time!

A nice shampoo and conditioner as you want to feel clean! Moisturiser as it’s very warm in hospital and skin can get super dry! Other than that it’s all very exciting

Pocos wrote: »
    This is baby number 2 and snacks are a must! You get dinner at 5 ish and then breakfast at 7 the next morning! You are starving in between esp if breastfeeding.

In OLOL, they put sandwiches and tea out in the corrider at about 9pm on the Postnatal ward, but I'm not sure they actually tell anyone they are there. They definitely don't give you anything in the MLU after dinner. I remember, on my first, eating a turkey & stuffing sandwich at 2am that my Dad had brought me up earlier in the day - I was starving!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    In OLOL, they put sandwiches and tea out in the corrider at about 9pm on the Postnatal ward, but I'm not sure they actually tell anyone they are there. They definitely don't give you anything in the MLU after dinner. I remember, on my first, eating a turkey & stuffing sandwich at 2am that my Dad had brought me up earlier in the day - I was starving!

Now that I didn’t know about! I think you are offered tea at 9pm but I don’t drink tea so was no good to me!

I ate a whole double packet of Jaffa cakes at 2am one of the nights! I was / am a gestational diabetic so hadn’t had biscuits for a few weeks! The nicest Jaffa cakes I had ever eaten ;)

I think people underestimate how hungry giving birth makes you! I nearly had a row with the catering staff after my second baby because the tray from the tea & toast after having him was still in the room & she was like "oh you've had breakfast" and went to make off with the food she was bringing in. I literally had to beg her to leave it. Even the midwife came back in and was like "jeez, I thought you were going to have to fight for your cornflakes there"

Defo packing more snacks so!

When is everyone thinking of finishing up work?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's funny, I had 3 in the Rotunda, and the first 2, I was starved...especially the first!...but then on my third, not!They altered the meals just slightly and they spread them way better over the day....breakfast at 9 instead of 7am!, then soup, dinner and the "dessert", they held off for an hour or so, so by the time you were getting your tea it was late enough and then they were coming back with a scone or biscuits or.something around 7.I actually read an interview with their new chef in the IT a year later and she explained it.End result was that I needed practically no snacks on no.3 (I was in for 3 days), and the food was really fantastic...no exaggeration.Funny how such little changes made such a difference.

Advertisement