Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishman set to be deported from the US

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    If there were no rules, penalties or sanctions, the US population would soar.

Some Americans appear to want uncontrolled migration, with sanctuary cities turning a blind eye to everything. You can't have millions of people under the radar.

Every country needs to control its own borders. Whether it's Ireland, Togo, Chile or the United States

The estimate I last read was that 1 billion would move to the US if possible, that’s the number who express a wish to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The estimate I last read was that 1 billion would move to the US if possible, that’s the number who express a wish to.
    Two years before Keith moved to America, I looked very hard at doing so. Despite not having any convictions I couldn’t get in legally, so I went to Oz instead. No doubt thousands of Irish people didn’t move Stateside because to do so would be illegal.
    They are absolutely right to show him the door tbf. Can’t allow people to blithely ignore the law ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Two years before Keith moved to America, I looked very hard at doing so. Despite not having any convictions I couldn’t get in legally, so I went to Oz instead. No doubt thousands of Irish people didn’t move Stateside because to do so would be illegal.
    They are absolutely right to show him the door tbf. Can’t allow people to blithely ignore the law ffs!

Yes and that is an aspect of the problem people who tend to say “undocumented migrant” rather than “illegal migrant” fail to acknowledge: people are not “undocumented” because of bad luck but because they didn’t follow the legal process, and not applying the law to them is a slap in the face of migrants who (successfully or not) do respect the host country’s laws and follow the legal process. Most legal immigrants I know in Ireland have little patience for those who come illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It's funny because far more enter into the US legally via ports and airports and overstay their visa than enter illegally via Mexican border.

Building a wall would never have solved the illegal immigration problem in the US.
    meeeeh wrote: »
    What I find funny is that Obama deported so people in so much more effective way and without much fuss. Trump will never catch him and yet democrats won't mention it because they don't want to be associated with biggest deportation numbers and Trump won't point it out because he is pretending he is taking hard stance against immigration.

So instead we get this type of stories. Of all the people they decide to evict is someone who has a job, pays his taxes, has a family and is trying to resolve his situation. Low laying fruit to improve the stats.

Obama deported alot more than Trump at much higher levels than Trump.

Trump has been extremely vocal though and made it major part of his campaign. However it has backfired spectacularly at the border where he and his regime have come across as uncaring monsters to everyone not hardcore Trump supporters because so much emphasis he has placed on issue to drive it into the public awareness.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    It's funny because far more enter into the US legally via ports and airports and overstay their visa than enter illegally via Mexican border.

Is there any data to back this statement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Building a wall would never have solved the illegal immigration problem in the US.

Trump has been extremely vocal though and made it major part of his campaign. However it has backfired spectacularly at the border where he and his regime have come across as uncaring monsters to everyone not hardcore Trump supporters because so much emphasis he has placed on issue to drive it into the public awareness.

I don't think this is a case of Trump v Obama. It goes on all the time but Trump is doing this purely for reelection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Bob24 wrote: »
    Is there any data to back this statement?

Yep, overstaying visa is a greater issue and has been for years.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/686056668/for-seventh-consecutive-year-visa-overstays-exceeded-illegal-border-crossings?t=1563100419545

batgoat wrote: »

Thanks, interesting figures.

I wouldn't say that they justify saying that illegal crossings are far less important issue than visa overstays though:
    1) 38/62 isn't such an imbalanced distribution and when something represent 38% of root causes for a problem it obviously can't be discarded.
    2) Those figures are only for people who got caught (a "successful" illegal immigrant will remain unnoticed by the authorities and therefore won't be accounted for in these figures). So they are not a reflection of the complete number of illegal entries and overstays. Just my view but I would suspect that accounting for and tracking people who overstayed their visa is easier than for those who illegally crossed the border, as for those who entered legally there is a track record of them coming into the country which makes it easier to track/detect potential overstayers by cross referencing different information sources the government has access to. In any case it can't be said based on those figures that long term illegal overstays are definitely a greater issue than long term illegal border crossings - all that can be said is that more long term illegal overstays are detected than long term illegal border crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

splinter65 wrote: »
    So nobody with a minor conviction for drugs could ever go on holiday to the US?

Well, yes. Those are the rules... It is pretty simple. You might not like them, but they are well known.

I like the framing of your post, as if he had just gone on holiday and this is the issue. The issue is he intentionally over stayed his visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

That's nonsense. I'm not a hardcore Trump supporter and i don't think it's uncaring at all. You have to seen to have tough sanctions for these illegals. Eventually the message will get through. Just because CNN do a special report with some wanna be President liberal senator crying at the border it doesn't make what Trump is doing wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I think most people here would accept deporting all illegal Irish abroad if we deported our illegals here. Lets face it this is not the worse country to be deported back to. It's much worse for others deported back to Yemen, Syria, El Salvador, Honduras etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

batgoat wrote: »

Obviously if I was an American I would prefer if there was no illegal immigration but I think someone overstaying their visa is preferential to someone sneaking into the country unregistered.

At least if someone overstays their visa, the American government know something about them. They must have clean records etc. or else they wouldn't have gotten the visa in the first place. But they know nothing about those crossing the desert in the middle of the night with no paperwork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

There is a neighbour of mine who had a baby with an American women around 11 years ago and he lives here again, the daughter has to move back and forth, she attended primary school here and now is going to USA. I can understand both sides of the argument, you can't just ejaculate and expect that to get you into a country. I am anti emigration, and no i'm not a hypocrite, I never emigrated anywhere in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Drug conviction here

Overstayed his holiday visa by 10 years?

Chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Travelled legally

Mr Byrne has been “openly and honestly†working with immigration authorities since 2010 to “adjust†his status in the US. He travelled there legally in 2007 and the couple met the following year — “We fell in love immediately, it was very intense,†she said — before getting married in 2009.

Since then, he has been raising her eldest son (13) from another relationship, and the couple also have a daughter (6) and son (4) together.

His efforts to secure residency have been hampered by two separate charges of personal use of cannabis from when he was younger in Ireland, said Mrs Byrne.

“It was so minor, he only got a fine,†she said.

She stresses he was never an undocumented immigrant, and when his visa expired he “quickly went through all the honest and legal routes to change his status.â€

“During the nine years we have been doing that, he was legal,†she said. “He had work authorisation, a social security number, paid all his taxes — he was not living here in the shadows. It was all very open from the beginning.â€

The guy met a girl, started a family and was contributing positively. Hardly a menace to society. Why did the authorities let him work legally for so long and now decide to deport.
    I'm not saying what he did was right but this is wrong too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

sweetie wrote: »
    Travelled legally

Mr Byrne has been “openly and honestly†working with immigration authorities since 2010 to “adjust†his status in the US. He travelled there legally in 2007 and the couple met the following year — “We fell in love immediately, it was very intense,†she said — before getting married in 2009.

Since then, he has been raising her eldest son (13) from another relationship, and the couple also have a daughter (6) and son (4) together.

His efforts to secure residency have been hampered by two separate charges of personal use of cannabis from when he was younger in Ireland, said Mrs Byrne.

“It was so minor, he only got a fine,†she said.

She stresses he was never an undocumented immigrant, and when his visa expired he “quickly went through all the honest and legal routes to change his status.â€

“During the nine years we have been doing that, he was legal,†she said. “He had work authorisation, a social security number, paid all his taxes — he was not living here in the shadows. It was all very open from the beginning.â€

The guy met a girl, started a family and was contributing positively. Hardly a menace to society. Why did the authorities let him work legally for so long and now decide to deport.
    I'm not saying what he did was right but this is wrong too.

The issue here is you are incorrectly taking her word here as gospel. Regardless, he made a conscious decision to overstay his ‘visa’, he became an illegal immigrant at that point. So she is clearly telling porkies.

It isn’t clear but he was either on an ESTA or J1, he never had a real / long term ‘visa’ or right to remain. And as far as I recall once you overstay with either of those you need to leave, serve a ‘penalty exclusion’ period, then reapply. Clearly he didn’t follow this, so again her claims are misleading.

Quick read of the Irish Times article shows the holes in her story. He was on an ESTA in 2007, they married in 2009 and tried to ‘normalise his situation’ in 2010. He should have left long before 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Obviously if I was an American I would prefer if there was no illegal immigration but I think someone overstaying their visa is preferential to someone sneaking into the country unregistered.

At least if someone overstays their visa, the American government know something about them. They must have clean records etc. or else they wouldn't have gotten the visa in the first place. But they know nothing about those crossing the desert in the middle of the night with no paperwork.

Why bother with visas then if they’re meaningless?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

That's nonsense. I'm not a hardcore Trump supporter and i don't think it's uncaring at all. You have to seen to have tough sanctions for these illegals. Eventually the message will get through. Just because CNN do a special report with some wanna be President liberal senator crying at the border it doesn't make what Trump is doing wrong.

In your short posting history you have multiple uses of the words "lefties" and "liberal" in a demeaning manner so I don't think you would be voting Democrat or be independent that could be swayed to vote Democrat if you were living in the States...

I never mentioned right and wrong as to regards policy implementation at southern border. I said Trump went about it all wrong from the beginning in terms of rhetoric. There is a right way to deal with this issue but labelling immigrants as sub-human or calling for ban on certain religions entering the country only places the focus completely on you if things go sour.

This is why the children in cages and the immigrants drowning has been an issue that Trump and his team are getting the blame for. As said this in turn makes Trump look bad to those voters that are independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

No sympathy whatsoever. He chose to breach his conditions of entry. He should be deported along with all the illegal Irish in the US.

They make a mockery of those that adhered to the correct processes to obtain status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,078 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

splinter65 wrote: »
    So nobody with a minor conviction for drugs could ever go on holiday to the US?

Open to correction, but I think the just get barred from the visa waiver program.
    I think its very harsh.
    He's running a business, contributing to society by paying taxes and possibly providing jobs.
    Yes he overstayed his visa but his whole life and family are over there.
    I do hope that something can be done for him but I also understand that there cannot be exceptions to the rules.
    I feel sorry for him and his family. Hope it has a happy outcome.

This isn't Vietname, Dude - this is immigration. There are rules.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

sweetie wrote: »
    Travelled legally

He entered legally with a permission to stay for a few weeks and overstayed illegally for 10 years.

All the rest is sugarcoating from the spouse who is (understandably) trying to paint the story in a way which will play in their favour.

What she means when she says he was not undocumented is that his illegal overstaying did come to the attention of the authorities (she says he is the one who came to them, we can chose to believe her or not). But nonetheless he did stay illegally for a long time. This is just guessing, but based on the available info what quite possibly happened is that he made a request to regularise his situation and was given a temporary right to remain until the request was examined and all appeal options for a refusal were exhausted, and that this process is now coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Quick read of the Irish Times article shows the holes in her story. He was on an ESTA in 2007, they married in 2009 and tried to ‘normalise his situation’ in 2010. He should have left long before 2010.

But who'd want to have come back here in 2010 in the midst of The Great Depression?

The Government generally applauded people who left and eased the social welfare figures somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

he had children in the full knowledge that this would happen.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    But who'd want to have come back here in 2010 in the midst of The Great Depression?

He had no right to stay there. Doesn’t matter about what he wanted. Half of Africa wants to come to Europe. Doesn’t mean they have a right to. And the government wasn’t actively encouraging the emigrants to become illegal immigrants...

He could legally have gone to half the countries in Europe or applied to go to Australia or New Zealand. He had lots of choices, he made a bad choice and now it has caught up with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Bob24 wrote: »
    He entered legally with a permission to stay for a few weeks and overstayed illegally for 10 years.

All the rest is sugarcoating from the spouse who is (understandably) trying to paint the story in a way which will play in their favour.

What she means when she says he was not undocumented is that his illegal overstaying did come to the attention of the authorities (she says he is the one who came to them, we can chose to believe her or not). But nonetheless he did stay illegally for a long time. This is just guessing, but based on the available info what quite possibly happened is that he made a request to regularise his situation and was given a temporary right to remain until the request was examined and all appeal options for a refusal were exhausted, and that this process is now coming to an end.

But did he enter legally? One of the questions asked when applying through ESTA is do you have any convictions, or have you ever been arrested. If he answered that truthfully, he would have been refused a visa and asks to attend fir interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

overstay - be deported.
    the rules are clear. no sympathy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

He had no right to stay there. Doesn’t matter about what he wanted. Half of Africa wants to come to Europe. Doesn’t mean they have a right to. And the government wasn’t actively encouraging the emigrants to become illegal immigrants...

He could legally have gone to half the countries in Europe or applied to go to Australia or New Zealand. He had lots of choices, he made a bad choice and now it has caught up with him.

Folk make me laugh making up excuse after excuse for Irish people who break the law abroad.
    It’s as if foreign laws rules and regulations and conditions should apply to every other nationality but not Irish people.
    Why?
    Because everybody loves us!!
    Either that or it’s that everyone else and his dog is to blame for this guy getting into a mess of his own making and getting turfed out. Now it seems you can blame the fact that there was a slump here when he should have come home.
    ...despite the fact that the slump was everywhere including the US!
    Ludicrous and cringe making.

But did he enter legally? One of the questions asked when applying through ESTA is do you have any convictions, or have you ever been arrested. If he answered that truthfully, he would have been refused a visa and asks to attend fir interview.

ESTA didn’t exist when he entered in 2007. Fair question however, even without ETSA he would have had to fill out an arrival form at the airport with questions about convictions in other jurisdiction and a commitment to provide truthful information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How did he manage to buy a house not being there legit? I thought money laundering and other legislation would come in to play?

Advertisement