Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishman set to be deported from the US

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Tweeter wrote: »
    So breaking the law with utter contempt for the country that you have successfully integrated into is cool? Or have I got that wrong?

You can twist it as you wish. It's low hanging fruit for maga hats to believe Trump is actually doing something. Like fake Versailles style in his NY hotel it takes special type to fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

What's good for the goose is good for the gander as they say. I believe in having sovereignty over a countries borders and enforcing the law and deporting those there illegal is a necessary evil.

While I do empathize with him as a father myself, he has to take some responsibility for the situation he is in.

Also there is no way any exceptions could be made for him because he is white Irish . You could imagine the cries of racism if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

meeeeh wrote: »
    You can twist it as you wish. It's low hanging fruit for maga hats to believe Trump is actually doing something. Like fake Versailles style in his NY hotel it takes special type to fall for it.

What twist would that be now? Are you saying he's not breaking the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Some people would, others would be organising marches / protests and social media campaigns to keep him here. Plus the appeals process would be endless.

This is actually what would happen

What twist would that be now? Are you saying he's not breaking the law?

No I'm not saying that. But the didn't manage to evict him before he had kids, before he got married to American citizen, they are doing now when they will cause much grearer harm to his kids or wife who hadn't broken any laws. If you think this kind of eviction trumps going after drug dealers, gang members and similar fine. I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

How many illegal undocumented Irish over there get deported each year, barely ever makes the news are we talking a handful?

46 last year. They're basically turning a blind eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

No I'm not saying that. But the didn't manage to evict him before he had kids, before he got married to American citizen, they are doing now when they will cause much grearer harm to his kids or wife who hadn't broken any laws. If you think this kind of eviction trumps going after drug dealers, gang members and similar fine. I don't.

Maybe he should have ‘evicted’ himself. Plus Trump wasn’t in power back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yurt! wrote: »
    Some interesting figures surrounding the cost of deportations in the US. It costs around $13k to execute each deportation on average. A think thank (probably a right-leaning one it must be said) estimates that an unskilled undocumented immigrant uses $75k more of public services than they put into the economy over their lifetime (on average).

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/04/28/deportation-costs-immigration/307548001/

There no way in hell that figure is true.

If you think this kind of eviction trumps going after drug dealers, gang members and similar fine.

No I don't think it trumps any of those things, however that's not what the thread is about.
    Are you saying it's ok to break the law if other people are breaking bigger laws than you broke?

No I don't think it trumps any of those things, however that's not what the thread is about.
    Are you saying it's ok to break the law if other people are breaking bigger laws than you broke?

This is getting tedious.

Edit: You keep a score card as it is obvious by your reply when I provided you requested srats. You can give yourself a point, maybe two and a gold star.

• Advertisement

This is getting tedious.

Class response, pure class. What a trooper you are

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

What I find funny is that Obama deported so people in so much more effective way and without much fuss. Trump will never catch him and yet democrats won't mention it because they don't want to be associated with biggest deportation numbers and Trump won't point it out because he is pretending he is taking hard stance against immigration.

So instead we get this type of stories. Of all the people they decide to evict is someone who has a job, pays his taxes, has a family and is trying to resolve his situation. Low laying fruit to improve the stats.

So it's Trumps fault?
    Its always Trumps fault.
    Change the record it's boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭This is it

It's doesn't have to be one or the other, it can be both.

I have sympathy for him and his family but at the same time he must have known this was always a possibility while he remained there illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

What is wrong going with low hanging fruits first though? In most area of life it is a common strategy to clear the easy stuff first.

Also being low hanging or not is pretty much irrelevant to his case: he’s been an outlaw for over 10 years and knew it, and the law is now being enforced. Whether it was easy or hard for the authorities to go after him doesn’t change that he is facing the logical and legal consequences of his previous actions. Of course it doesn’t change the fact that we can sympathise about a family being impacted, but that doesn’t mean we should be emotionally blackmailed by that fact or ignore both parents responsibility in the current situation (at least the father but most likely both of them willingly chose to chance the illegal route and to build their family on this basis).

And in terms of efficiency, clearly the effect of this isn’t just to remove existing illegal immigrants: it also changes the expectation for potential new illegal migrants and reduces their amount. I.e. other Irish people who are currently in the US and have been overstaying their visa/waivers for a few weeks/months and letting themselves sleepwalk into becoming long term illegal immigrants might have a wake up call reading about this type of stories, and go back into legality (as opposed to thinking things will be alright because the expectation is that the ICE doesn’t go after the illegal Irish).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

Stunning looking bride

Hopefully they reunite the family in Ireland or he gets to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

If anyone bothered to read the articles about this poor family they would know that moving to Ireland isn't feasible as the wife has a son from a previous relationship. They were also doing their best to work with the authorities to gain citizenship. Perhaps they shouldn't ever have let him into the country in the first place with those convictions hanging over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

While a lot of focus is made on his having kids, the part of the story that amazes me is he was able to get a SSN, legally work, start a business pay his taxes, get married etc while being a visa overstayer.

While I understand and agree that he should be deported by law, I don't understand why it takes so long and how they give people all of the above instead of deporting them when they try to get a SSN or start a business or get married or pay taxes etc?

Can any on explain how that stuff works over there in context of a visa overstayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

sweetie wrote: »
    If anyone bothered to read the articles about this poor family they would know that moving to Ireland isn't feasible as the wife has a son from a previous relationship. They were also doing their best to work with the authorities to gain citizenship. Perhaps they shouldn't ever have let him into the country in the first place with those convictions hanging over him.

He entered as a tourist and decided to stay. His choice. I’m sure they wouldn’t have let him enter had they known he wasn’t going to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Inquitus wrote:
    Marijuana possession in his early 20's, its all a bit harsh, especially now he is married to a Yank with kids, seems like he is going to get shafted.

I remember back in the 80s a member of U2 was caught smoking a joint in the back of a car. When it got to court (yes court for a joint) it was explained to the judge that any drug conviction at all would effect the bands chance of touring in the states. Judge gave him the probation act.

The above shows how any drug conviction will effect visas for the States

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

it's a very sad case but he was illegal and knew the score. He got married and had kids still knowing he could have been kicked out.
    he should have gotten his affairs in order.

People are funny , they act without thought of consequences then cry when the consequences kick in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

paw patrol wrote: »
    it's a very sad case but he was illegal and knew the score. He got married and had kids still knowing he could have been kicked out.
    he should have gotten his affairs in order.

People are funny , they act with thought of consequences then cry when the consequences kick in.

Did you read the thread? He has a drug conviction when he was young so he couldn't get his affairs in order

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

sweetie wrote: »

So nobody with a minor conviction for drugs could ever go on holiday to the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I think its very harsh.
    He's running a business, contributing to society by paying taxes and possibly providing jobs.
    Yes he overstayed his visa but his whole life and family are over there.
    I do hope that something can be done for him but I also understand that there cannot be exceptions to the rules.
    I feel sorry for him and his family. Hope it has a happy outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

splinter65 wrote:
    So nobody with a minor conviction for drugs could ever go on holiday to the US?

They would be declined an esta and have to apply for a visa just to go on holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Did you read the thread? He has a drug conviction when he was young so he couldn't get his affairs in order

but I did....
    getting his affairs in order could mean many things but I meant trying to sort out his status

for example - he could have gone for a Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility which seems to be the process for getting in if you have convictions esp if they were historic. Sure it's not guaranteed but neither is shacking up there illegally and dealing with the consequences he has.

I know 2 people who have convictions in their youth who now reside there legally I assume they used this method.

There is another process to change your status if you are there conditionally if you get married..
    He could have tried a combo of both processes.

It looks like he did nothing and tried to dodge the system and these are the consequences of that.

It's a terrible situation but it is of his own doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

He built his life over an illegal action (overstaying his visa waiver) and is logically responsable for consequences.

Getting his affairs in order could have meant leaving the US for a country where he is allowed to live. Yes I understand it would have impacted his family, but is he offering them something better with the current situation? And again he (and probably his wife) very well knew what they were getting into when they decided to get married and to have kids knowing he was illegal in the country ... they are the only ones responsible here. For exemple, the wife is now happy to say to the media she can’t move to Ireland because she has another child who’s father is in the US; but maybe she should reflect about her and her husbands decision to have kids when the full knew it would put her in a situation whereby she both has children from a man who is in the US and from another man who isn’t allowed to live in the US (with the obvious consequences).

He is there illegally. That's really the only important fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

A go fund me page has been set up for him.really?i lost my phone last night while out of my mind drunk, i think ill set up a go fund me page as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Get him out. Iv'e no time for these illegals who don't follow the rules. Glad to see President Trump is taking the issue of America's borders seriously. If only Europe had the same diligence on the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Have a little bit, but not very much,sympathy. From the day he went as a tourist he’d have known it was very unlikely he’d ever be let stay with drugs convictions. He knew this would happen if he was ever caught, but decided to roll the dice. Can’t complain about the consequences, which could easily be foreseen.

Advertisement