Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,121 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    There you go now. There’s a link on bbc as well if you google it. And Doug Beattie is the most moderate in UUP so it’s not happening https://uup.org/news/5386/Conradh-na-Gaeilge-comments-on-BBC-indicate-exactly-what-is-meant-by-an-Irish-Language-Act-Beattie#.XSzGKiXTXYU

Were does that say:
    The main Irish language group here said they would demand them on the shankill road whether people want them or not.

Just because a Unionist politician for his own political purposes is saying that does not make it true.

Read the position paper to confirm that it isn't what is being looked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

So you completely avoided addressing equivalents. And I may differ but will have respect for you if you are consistent.
    How Dow you feel about the incredibly crass, antagonistic, insensitive and insulting hunger strike banners. Are they any different than the soldier f ones.?
    How do you feel about all the Irish language stuff going up on street corners etc?

This doesnt make sense?

Soldier F murdered innocent people. Unionists supporting him is surely morally wrong. How can that be denied?

Whereas the Hunger Strikers died protesting the UKs poor treatment of them in an effective apartheid state. Murals honour that selflessness.

These are completely different things?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

There you go now. There’s a link on bbc as well if you google it. And Doug Beattie is the most moderate in UUP so it’s not happening https://uup.org/news/5386/Conradh-na-Gaeilge-comments-on-BBC-indicate-exactly-what-is-meant-by-an-Irish-Language-Act-Beattie#.XSzGKiXTXYU

That`s shocking and probably ranks alongside the Irish translator jobs in the EU headquarters for lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RobMc59 wrote: »
    That`s shocking and probably ranks alongside the Irish translator jobs in the EU headquarters for lunacy.

Top sneering Rob. Nothing beats a sneer when you've not much else to offer.

However I'll ask what has that got to with Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭downcow

endainoz wrote: »
    Was this not a condition of the GFA? Genuine question, also did no loyalist in prison ever get a pardon?

Loyalists got zero. It was a secret deal no one new about except British gov and shinners. Incredible isn’t it. And these people are accusing others of not upholding the agreement

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Irish is the official language of Ireland.
    Ireland is in the EU.
    There are 25 other countries with English as a second language.
    Allowed for the UKs benefit ironically.

They all have Translators.

You guys really come across as either willfully ignorant or just poorly educated a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Loyalists got zero. It was a secret deal no one new about except British gov and shinners. Incredible isn’t it. And these people are accusing others of not upholding the agreement
    Jailed Loyalists and Republicans were freed from prison today, as the final wave of prisoner releases got underway in Northern Ireland. 78 prisoners were freed from the Maze prison. First out were 8 members of the UVF, followed by a group of the UDA/UFF men the LVF and the INLA. 46 members of the Provisional IRA were the last due to be freed.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2000/0728/8126-prisoners/

lawred2 wrote: »
    Top sneering Rob. Nothing beats a sneer when you've not much else to offer.

However I'll ask what has that got to with Northern Ireland?

Until brexit(if there is one!) Britain(which includes NI) pays into the EU-imo Irish translators is a waste of money,as are Irish language signs in an area that does`nt want them.

Until brexit(if there is one!) Britain(which includes NI) pays into the EU-imo Irish translators is a waste of money,as are Irish language signs in an area that does`nt want them.

Anything else you don't like about people that aren't the same as you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

And then there is the letters of comfort. Over 200 issued. Every single one to Republicans. So any wonder soldier f is getting some support

Yeah, I’m amazed by it tbh. Innocent people were murdered by someone, could at least wait until after the trial before offering support.
    Can totally understand anger over the letters, but don’t see how those mean anyone else should get away with murder! It’s saying soldiers should not have been required to behave any better than the IRA. It’s saying the army are no better than the IRA or the UVF.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Anything else you don't like about people that aren't the same as you?

English visitor decides what Irish people should find important...didn't they try to tell the rest of the EU what they should see as important (namely, their relationship with it over all others) too and get told were to go? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

And then there is the letters of comfort. Over 200 issued. Every single one to Republicans. So any wonder soldier f is getting some support

Good point.

talking to yourself again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Now that you mention it .....

We only Have one token unionist? Not two ?

English visitor decides what Irish people should find important...didn't they try to tell the rest of the EU what they should see as important (namely, their relationship with it over all others) too and get told were to go? ;)

old habits die hard Francie

hard to shake off centuries of telling others what's good for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I would say a lot of the anger towards the support soldier f gets is due to the whole hypocrisy of those who support the soldier.

Its like the IRA have been vilified and called out as bloody murderers by much of the unionist population but would label the British Army including those involved in Bloody Sunday as hero's and keepers of the peace, ignoring some of the atrocities they have been involved in because it does not suit their political views.
    (not saying I disagree with labeling IRA members murderers BTW)

thats very honest and helpful.
    I know there is many in the OO and unionist community who agree with you and would like to see the Twelfth only being held in very predominately protestant towns. I get their thinking but i completely disagree. I live on the outskirts of a town which was 40% protestant and now is less than 5% protestant as they all moved in fear during the troubles. It is also 'our town' to the significant number of protestants living in the rural community and has an OO hall and two protestant churches and school. I think it is very sad that our culture is not allowed to be expressed in our town one day every 15 years which is all that we ask - but it is not allowed. Down the road is Kilkeel which has a very predominantly protestant town centre and yet it has a number of nationalist parades each year including and Dissident IRA aligned band. This to me is much healthier.
    My main demonstration this year was Crossgar that you mention although i didnt go. And yes there is an agreement in the towns around me that flags come down quickly. In my nearest mixed town when the twelfth is being held the flags go up in the early hours of the twelfth morning and come down late afternoon immediate after the parade, yet last year i still heard catholics complaining about why they had to go up at all (this is not replicated for the easter rising parade when the flags are up for weeks).

So i don't disgree with you but the flags is a thorny issue. You probably view a union flag flying as marking territory and showing who thinks they are in charge. I understand that. But most of my community see Irish road signs in exactly the same light, as marking territory and showing who thinks they are in charge. I would love there was more genuine respect for each others culture, identity and celebrations - but it is going to be a very long road

Edit i just reread you post and see the isrealie stuff etc, and i know this is whataboutery, but in my town the irish tricolour and Palestinian flag flies 365 days a year and there is an illegal monument on council owned land to republican mass killers who have murdered members of our community. Its just all very complex and some on here would like to paint it as those nasty prods (i do not include you in that - i appreciated your post)

Great post. It seems that one side is behaving much more reasonably than the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

You expect us to take a UUP MLA's word on what Conradh na Gaeilge's position is? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

So you completely avoided addressing equivalents. And I may differ but will have respect for you if you are consistent.
    How Dow you feel about the incredibly crass, antagonistic, insensitive and insulting hunger strike banners. Are they any different than the soldier f ones.?
    How do you feel about all the Irish language stuff going up on street corners etc?
    You aren’t really stating equivalents though. Hunger striker banners obviously don’t bother me, to the best of my knowledge none of them deliberately shot and killed any civilians; that said if one went up overnight in my town centre I’d want it removed because I know it will cause a lot of offence to many other people. As for the Irish language, my local council up until very recently has shown it nothing but utter contempt and has refused to fulfil its statutory duties in that regard. So I don’t actually see any Irish on street corners.

• Advertisement

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    You expect us to take a UUP MLA's word on what Conradh na Gaeilge's position is? Really?

It wasn't even a link to the claim he was asked to back up either.

You mean that one sign that an old woman put up outside her own house? The one where the council is trying to take her to court? I feel disgusted by the whole thing.

That`s ridiculous francie,everyone knows yours is the only opinion that counts and as you pointed out,I`m just an English visitor and should know my place..

That`s ridiculous francie,everyone knows yours is the only opinion that counts and as you pointed out,I`m just an English visitor and should know my place..

Well, if you cannot understand the importance if the language to a nation and call efforts to maintain it silly, then yeh, you are a visitor Rob.

Well, if you cannot understand the importance if the language to a nation and call efforts to maintain it silly,.

It's a dead language, nobody speaks it, nobody uses it to any extent in any thread on boards.ie or social media, there are virtually no Irish language newspapers or magazines...all this despite the hundreds of millions the Irish government has squandered on it over the years. A much bigger waste than the new children's hospital being built.

janfebmar wrote: »
    It's a dead language,

Says the most noted anti-Irish everything on Boards.

We have a new Gaelscoil here, must fill you terrible dread altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I think it`s you`d be in for a rude awakening in regards to what British people think of the unionists in NI-there are many people in Scotland and England who feel a close affinity with them-they are British,they stood shoulder to shoulder in times of trouble and they have every right to fly the Union flag.

The days of waving the butchers apron in nationalist faces has gone since the Good Friday agreement

It's a dead language, nobody speaks it, nobody uses it to any extent in any thread on boards.ie or social media, there are virtually no Irish language newspapers or magazines...all this despite the hundreds of millions the Irish government has squandered on it over the years. A much bigger waste than the new children's hospital being built.

I speak it, as does my wife. We speak it every day at home and at work. When we have kids, they will be raised through Irish. It is not used regularly on boards becuase doing so gets you banned. It is used on social media, that YOU don't come accross it is just a funciton of the echo chamber nature of social media in general. My social media is mostly as Gaeilge. The main Irish language newspaper is online only, Tuairisc.ie as is the main magazine Nos.ie. My language is not dead, go raibh maith agat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

At least it is a language unlike that made-up farce they call Ulster Scots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,023 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I appreciate your input. But help me here. You don’t want support shown for soldier f who is currently innocent. Would you call for the removal of the illegal shrine to people found guilty of sectarian killings in my town? Or the stuff on the main road near me eulogising the hunger strike terrorists?
    And are you saying Irish language signage is ok but union flags are not?

and at that all is lost enough evidence for 2 murders he is far from innocent

Advertisement