Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Caseking has been getting stock for weeks, its a sister company to overclockers.

Same as above, 40-50% MSRP. Although I don't know how believeable MSRP is.

https://www.caseking.de/pc-komponenten/grafikkarten/amd

They have a 6800(930), 6800xt(1050) and a 6900xt(1620) right now.
    Everytime I try to buy something from them, I add it to the cart, go to the cart and getting an error that there are no products in my cart... And sometimes, not always, I go back to the list and the product is still available, therefore it is not that it was sold meanwhile.

ps. Mindfactory changed their policy and they do not deliver outside Germany... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

EoinHef wrote: »
    Caseking has been consistently one of the worst offenders regarding pricing,it has nothing to do with MSRP,other retailers selling the same cards for way less.

That company can f**k right off,bunch of c**ts

They might be, but they also sell out within a few hours for the most part. 2k+ graphics cards all sell. Their profits must be through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

SickBoy wrote: »
    It was more of a follow up to the first question, if it was connected to a riser in a vertical mount it would be worth changing the PCIE to 3.0 as most PCIE riser cables are of poor quality and can introduce instability when operating at PCIE 4.0 speeds but as you confirmed it's going straight into the motherboard then it's not really relevant.

So it turns out my issue wasn't power spikes or GPU related after all. This was driving me crazy to be honest, and most of the info online seemed to point to power spikes, i even bought a new 850W PSU thinking this might solve the issue, which it didn't.

I kept digging and found one guy who was looking in another direction, mainly the motherboard.

Anyway, gist of the story is, is that ASUS (apparently not the only manufacturer affected, but the only one that interested me) did not test the mobos for the new ryzen 5000 series other than just seeing if it booted (which it does fine). These CPUs can draw a lot more power than the 3000 series, and this seemed to trigger the "fuse" on the mobo so to speak, which is just set too low for these new CPUs, and therefore this would cut the system off.
    The fix was to set a higher EDC current limit so that the mobo wouldn't cut off.

I then checked if there was a BIOS update for these motherboards, which there was 10 days ago, hoping this issue had been addressed as all the info i'd found seemed to be a couple months old, so i flashed the motherboard, and lo and behold, system seems stable again and no crashes yet.

Hopefully i haven't spoken too soon again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Just got my order placed for a 6900xt via AMD direct. No email confirmation yet but payment has gone through on Paypal. Really want a MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio but you have to take what you can get at the moment. :tiniestviolin:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

dmigsy wrote: »
    Just got my order placed for a 6900xt via AMD direct. No email confirmation yet but payment has gone through on Paypal. Really want a MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio but you have to take what you can get at the moment. :tiniestviolin:

Took a while for payment confirmation for me too. Shops from the Netherlands via DHL Express but they use Fastways as their Irish agent. Reasonably quick shipping but make sure to **** you're at home for the next few days when it's due. The driver literally rang my doorbell, dropped it and drove off. Luckily I was at home.

• Advertisement

Took a while for payment confirmation for me too. Shops from the Netherlands via DHL Express but they use Fastways as their Irish agent. Reasonably quick shipping but make sure to **** you're at home for the next few days when it's due. The driver literally rang my doorbell, dropped it and drove off. Luckily I was at home.

Cheers for the info. I'm always at home these days so no worries there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I keep missing these drops. I even have discord and it never notified me plus I was in shopping too at the time of the drop so would have missed out anyway even if I was notified.

I keep missing these drops. I even have discord and it never notified me plus I was in shopping too at the time of the drop so would have missed out anyway even if I was notified.

Just after half 4 on a Thursday seems to be primetime for AMD availability. You can't wait for the alerts from Discord imo. So many people on those groups all after the same few cards. eg PartAlert has 100s of reactions on drops within minutes of them going live. I started refreshing the AMD store page at 16:30 and about 7 mins later the 6900xt showed as available. I used PayPal to checkout as quickly as possible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I got mine relatively easily when the Partalert Discord notification came through last week. Saw it hit again today and hoped some of you would catch it this time! Notification dropped, I went straight through the full process to buy on my phone.

I assumed the fact I was in Ireland helped, I'd say the other regions stores would have been hit harder. Page didn't freeze and no refreshing needed to get it to check out. Was a smooth process for me anyway. Like purchasing anything not in high demand.

Still hasn't been delivered though.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Will the Amd store be selling the 3060s in the coming weeks or have they already been sold anybody know?

• Advertisement

scottigael wrote: »
    Will the Amd store be selling the 3060s in the coming weeks or have they already been sold anybody know?

What's a 3060? That's an Nvidia card so I don't know why AMD would be selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

What's a 3060? That's an Nvidia card so I don't know why AMD would be selling them.

Lol they're a nvidia card my mistake ...still no mid range amd gpus coming up soon no?

scottigael wrote: »
    Lol they're a nvidia card my mistake ...still no mid range amd gpus coming up soon no?

There is 6700's due soon.

Just realised that I've only got a 650W PSU in my machine at the moment. Probably need to upgrade to at least 750/800W for the 6900XT? What PSU do you guys have / recommend? My CPU is only a R5 - 3600 so not a massive consumtion there. Won't be overclocking either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Just realised that I've only got a 650W PSU in my machine at the moment. Probably need to upgrade to at least 750/800W for the 6900XT? What PSU do you guys have / recommend? My CPU is only a R5 - 3600 so not a massive consumtion there. Won't be overclocking either.

It's only a 300w card. You're fine. Rest of the system maybe 100-150w tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's only a 300w card. You're fine. Rest of the system maybe 100-150w tops.

AMD recommends 850W for the 6900XT. i know that's over what it technically needs, but 650W would be on the low side tbh, and if you're needing to upgrade your PSU, might as well bump to 850 rather than just 750 anyway.

plenty of good deals out there, and anything over bronze rating and fully modular on the main brands would do the trick

All gpus recommend psu's above the spec required to cover themselves. Cheap psu's often can't reach their rating and don't have power spike protection. If it's a good quality psu I wouldn't be overly worried by a 300w gpu. If it's a cheap one that's 5+ years old I'd replace it.

BloodBath wrote: »
    All gpus recommend psu's above the spec required to cover themselves. Cheap psu's often can't reach their rating and don't have power spike protection. If it's a good quality psu I wouldn't be overly worried by a 300w gpu. If it's a cheap one that's 5+ years old I'd replace it.

The one I have is a Corsair VS650 that came as part of a new pre-built system I got last year. Not sure whether to chance it or order a bigger, better one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

650W is fine though the Corsair VS650 isn't a great PSU so probably no harm to upgrade anyway. A proper, good quality 650w unit would be fine, just replacing the VS650 with a good 80+ gold unit is a huge upgrade. It should work fine in the meantime though.

As Bloodbath said above the requirements are always over-rated to account for low-end and poor quality supplies.

6900xt arrived today. She really is a thing if beauty.

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    6900xt arrived today. She really is a thing if beauty.

Nice one. Was it last Thursday you ordered?

Drop of cards on AMD.com just now. Think I got a 6900xt

He placed the order on 11 February.

Yeah. The tracking they provide is useless! Was a surprise when it arrived today cos the tracking didn't give any indication it was even in the country. Packaging was crap too, rattling around inside a huge box with no bubble wrap or nothing but the box for the card itself is premium too so its well protected inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Yeah. The tracking they provide is useless! Was a surprise when it arrived today cos the tracking didn't give any indication it was even in the country. Packaging was crap too, rattling around inside a huge box with no bubble wrap or nothing but the box for the card itself is premium too so its well protected inside.

Interesting...

Mind me asking how much it cost? Price listed on the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Keyzer wrote: »
    Interesting...

€1004 all in from AMD.

Interesting...

AMD directly sells on MSRP. However, since the price is converted to EUR from USD, there are small fluctuations on EUR price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Wizard! wrote: »
    AMD directly sells on MSRP. However, since the price is converted to EUR from USD, there are small fluctuations on EUR price.

Interesting.

Think I'll go for the 6800XT and put the 350 towards the rest of my build.

The one I have is a Corsair VS650 that came as part of a new pre-built system I got last year. Not sure whether to chance it or order a bigger, better one...

That is on the more budget end of PSU's, even though it's only a year old I'd consider replacing it.

A good 650-750w gold rated as mentioned should have you covered for a good few years.

The Seasonic CORE-GM-650 seems to be the best value option with a 7 year warranty but I've no idea where to buy it from post brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Interesting.

Think I'll go for the 6800XT and put the 350 towards the rest of my build.

Think most people would except the 6800 XT is the rarest GPU of the lot atm.

Good bit easier to get a 6900 XT

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    650W is fine though the Corsair VS650 isn't a great PSU so probably no harm to upgrade anyway. A proper, good quality 650w unit would be fine, just replacing the VS650 with a good 80+ gold unit is a huge upgrade. It should work fine in the meantime though.

As Bloodbath said above the requirements are always over-rated to account for low-end and poor quality supplies.

Since I'm upgrading the PSU anyway I thought may as well bump up to 750W at least. Seems like there's a shortage of the higher Watt PSUs too. Couldn't see the one Seasonic one anywhere so reckon I'll just get this: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W

Advertisement