Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i've downloaded HWinfo and will try and get some readings

this is getting annoying. installed a new 850W PSU but it's still happening. tried to use HWinfo to debug, but it doesn't seem to capture the actual moment of the spike as the system just cuts off. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

this is getting annoying. installed a new 850W PSU but it's still happening. tried to use HWinfo to debug, but it doesn't seem to capture the actual moment of the spike as the system just cuts off. :mad:

What led you to the conclusion it was power spikes causing the issue?

EoinHef wrote: »
    What led you to the conclusion it was power spikes causing the issue?

by doing some research online, and it made perfect sense to me. the whole system just cuts off, and then just goes into reboot mode. only a power cut (imo) can make it behave that way, and i also get an error message in the radeon performance software, which says "Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restore due to an unexpected system failure"

i could be way off but can't think of any other possibility.

by doing some research online, and it made perfect sense to me. the whole system just cuts off, and then just goes into reboot mode. only a power cut (imo) can make it behave that way, and i also get an error message in the radeon performance software, which says "Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restore due to an unexpected system failure"

Not doubting ye I just haven't seen reports of that being an issue. I'm in the market for a 6800 XT so would be good to know if it is an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

CPU overheating?

• Advertisement

SickBoy wrote: »
    CPU overheating?

nothing to indicate that. Temps are fine and within the norms. this happens when no load applied at all (opening amazon videos in the browser seems to trigger it almost every time, whereas no issues at all when opening the amazon video app).

nothing to indicate that. Temps are fine and within the norms. this happens when no load applied at all (opening amazon videos in the browser seems to trigger it almost every time, whereas no issues at all when opening the amazon video app).

Download the latest stable Radeon driver but don't install.
    Download DDU.
    Disconnect from internet.
    Run DDU in safe mode and select Nvidia AMD and Intel just in case there's anything leftover from a previous setup.
    Reboot and install the driver you downloaded earlier.
    Test and see how it how.

Download the latest stable Radeon driver but don't install.
    Download DDU.
    Disconnect from internet.
    Run DDU in safe mode and select Nvidia AMD and Intel just in case there's anything leftover from a previous setup.
    Reboot and install the driver you downloaded earlier.
    Test and see how it how.

Did this and tried opening amazon video a few times with no problems. i'll keep an eye and try it a few more times, but thanks a mill if that was actually the issue!!seems way too simple a fix :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Did this and tried opening amazon video a few times with no problems. i'll keep an eye and try it a few more times, but thanks a mill if that was actually the issue!!seems way too simple a fix :pac:

The 5700/XT had similar problems after launch. So much so that large numbers of people returned them and AMD started including a wipe previous drivers option in their installer. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work as well as DDU.

Don't forget to reinstall your chipset drivers if you have an AMD CPU.

It does sound like a more likely cause alright.

• Advertisement

spoke too soon. still an issue

spoke too soon. still an issue

A few other things to check then.
    Is the GPU vertical mounted or straight into the motherboard?

Have you tried reducing the PCIE to gen 3 in the BIOS?

A few other things to check then.
    Is the GPU vertical mounted or straight into the motherboard?

Have you tried reducing the PCIE to gen 3 in the BIOS?

it's straight into the mobo. I'll give that a try, but What's the logic in reducing the PCIE?

it's straight into the mobo. I'll give that a try, but What's the logic in reducing the PCIE?

It was more of a follow up to the first question, if it was connected to a riser in a vertical mount it would be worth changing the PCIE to 3.0 as most PCIE riser cables are of poor quality and can introduce instability when operating at PCIE 4.0 speeds but as you confirmed it's going straight into the motherboard then it's not really relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Drop of cards on AMD.com just now. Think I got a 6900xt

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

.G. wrote: »
    If there was one, they are all out of stock already...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Watcha use for notifications?

Wizard! wrote: »
    If there was one, they are all out of stock already...

Thats not unusual,the AMD cards seem to have the worst supply.

20 mins is an eternity in terms of responding to an alert unfortunately. Missed todays drop again,ah well,ill get one eventually

EoinHef wrote: »
    20 mins is an eternity in terms of responding to an alert unfortunately. Missed todays drop again,ah well,ill get one eventually
    Their page does not have any bot protection, so it is an easy target.

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Watcha use for notifications?

Partalert on Discord. Got my 5900x via that too. I happened to be looking at the phone when it popped up, haven't got any emails to say the order went through though so we'll see.

Edit: email just arrived. Apparently it's fairly standard for orders to be cancelled a few hours later when they realise they over sold. So not counting chickens just yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Partalert on Discord. Got my 5900x via that too. I happened to be looking at the phone when it popped up, haven't got any emails to say the order went through though so we'll see.

Edit: email just arrived. Apparently it's fairly standard for orders to be cancelled a few hours later when they realise they over sold. So not counting chickens just yet!

****e right I'll have to join that one too. I'm on stock drops on discord and nothing came up. Need to set up telegram too tbh

I had it on telegram too and they advised everyone to use the discord as its faster. I used a few others including stock drops when looking for the 5900x and they were crap. Same with CtrlAltstock, nothing came up on that either today.

Anyway I've got an order confirmed email so looks like I got lucky. Time to check adverts to see what I can get for my 2080ti. Hopefully get a good chunk of this outlay back.

Partalert on Discord.
    And how exactly it works...? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

And how exactly it works...? :confused:

Download discord on phone or go to website and find the partalert page and then set up notification.

I just set it up myself just there a while ago after coming to this thread countless times after seeing somebody post they are on AMD website so I go to website and all sold out.

6900xt shipped today so its actually happening!

Meanwhile second hand gpus of all descriptions are selling for mad money on adverts and ebay. I could actually end up in profit if I used ebay for my 2080ti but I've not sold there before and brexit muddys the waters. 1080s going for 4-500 quid on adverts. Mad stuff Ted.

Sold my 1080ti for 350 few months back and there was a lad insisting to sell for 250 as the price will drop once the 30X0s are out... :rolleyes:

Yeah you'll get that on adverts. Seen it a bit of it on the 2080ti adverts I've been looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Caseking has been getting stock for weeks, its a sister company to overclockers.

Same as above, 40-50% MSRP. Although I don't know how believeable MSRP is.

https://www.caseking.de/pc-komponenten/grafikkarten/amd

They have a 6800(930), 6800xt(1050) and a 6900xt(1620) right now.

• Advertisement

Caseking has been consistently one of the worst offenders regarding pricing,it has nothing to do with MSRP,other retailers selling the same cards for way less.

That company can f**k right off,bunch of c**ts

Advertisement