Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

EoinHef wrote: »
    Nvida gimp performance only when mining algorithms are detected
    I am pretty sure you didn't watch the video...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Wizard! wrote: »
    I am pretty sure you didn't watch the video...

Which video?

EDIT: So I had a look at the video,when was that vid released? Pretty sure Nvidia implemented the mining restrictions after that video so he's wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

AMD cares a bit more for gamers, as they tried to lower performance for mining.

Amd doesn't care more, they are just reverting mistakes they made with the older architectures. Gaming cards are now gaming cards, compute cards are now compute cards.

Pretty sure Nvidia implemented the mining restrictions after that video so he's wrong?
    They are only implemented in the new 3060, not the older models. As the video says, big companies that have their own datacenters for mining, they have enough money to make their own drivers/BIOSes, therefore only a CHIP that affects mining can do the job.

But, until that happens, we have a long way...

Amd doesn't care more, they are just reverting mistakes they made with the older architectures. Gaming cards are now gaming cards, compute cards are now compute cards.
    I am old enough to remember lots of bad practices from Nvidia, from the time they were alone in the market, the ATI 9700 Pro era, modified drivers to cheat in benchmarks and later with TIs in the market just weeks after they sold the non-TI models.

I am not a fanboy of anyone, I only support my pocket, but when it comes to buy, I prefer AMD if the VFM is equal for both brands.

They are only implemented in the new 3060, not the older models. As the video says, big companies that have their own datacenters for mining, they have enough money to make their own drivers/BIOSes, therefore only a CHIP that affects mining can do the job.

But, until that happens, we have a long way...

And Nvidia have said that the solution they used was not only a driver solution but a combination of gpu,vbios and driver. And the vBios is encrypted so cant be read out or modified...so far

Point still stands,AMD have done nothing to mitigate bots or miners buying their gpus.

Nvidia are not much better but at least they have tried something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Ordered last Thursday from AMD. Arrived just now in a stupidly oversized box. Weekend of tweaking fan curves ahead I 'd say. After I give the PC a good clean and install the new PSU.

image.png

Nvidia are not much better but at least they have tried something.
    Too little, too late and remains to be proved.
    Even in that case, this won't be their "forgiveness" for their policy for years. At least to my eyes.

Too little, too late and remains to be proved.
    Even in that case, this won't be their "forgiveness" for their policy for years. At least to my eyes.

But AMD are ok even though they haven't done anything.

Nobody is asking you to "forgive" Nvidia, but you want to give AMD a pass for the same thing. Just pointing out the inconsistency of that.

AMD is just another semi conductor company,not some sort of saviour.

Nobody is asking you to "forgive" Nvidia, but you want to give AMD a pass for the same thing. Just pointing out the inconsistency of that.
    Not the same thing. Nvidia, as I pointed out before, has a very bad past. One thing in the present, that may have impact, if it is done early, and if it is applied to mid-high end models, not only the low end, won't be enough to counterbalance their "sins".

Not the same thing. Nvidia, as I pointed out before, has a very bad past. One thing in the present, that may have impact, if it is done early, and if it is applied to mid-high end models, not only the low end, won't be enough to counterbalance their "sins".

Tbf,your spouting rubbish now. The fact remains AMD have done nothing to stop bots and mining yet you wanna say thats ok. But Nvidia do make some effort yet its not valid because of "sins" in the past.

Facts are not based around your perception of good an eveil

• Advertisement

Tbf,your spouting rubbish now. The fact remains AMD have done nothing to stop bots and mining yet you wanna say thats ok. But Nvidia do make some effort yet its not valid because of "sins" in the past.

Facts are not based around your perception of good an eveil
    Ok, let us know, after the release of the new 3060, if you will find any 3070/3080/3090 in the market to buy. The rest is just speculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah, they're both just companies looking to make money at the end of the day. Sure look at the huge price hikes for the latest Ryzens, because they know they can charge that much.

Because still cling onto this "Intel is bad" thing as well so even in budget builds you have people automatically always recommending the 3600 at €200 over the 10400F which is €140, it literally never gets a mention even though it performs the same in games and in budget builds can make a big difference in what GPU you can afford.

I have even people recommending the 2600 at a higher price than the 10400F even though its a good bit slower, because of that automatic "AMD is better now". Just an example.

Really nothing whatsoever is black and white, it's all case by case. Kinda agree with EoinHef on this one. At least Nvidia tried something, even if it's only "seen to be doing something" rather than actually giving a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

dmigsy wrote: »
    Ordered last Thursday from AMD. Arrived just now in a stupidly oversized box. Weekend of tweaking fan curves ahead I 'd say. After I give the PC a good clean and install the new PSU.

image.png

with the auto zero setting my fans hardly ever come on, and when they do they're not noticable. I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭dmigsy

with the auto zero setting my fans hardly ever come on, and when they do they're not noticable. I wouldn't bother.

Yeah, it's really quiet. Totally different to how the 5700xt came out of the box.

dmigsy wrote: »
    Yeah, it's really quiet. Totally different to how the 5700xt came out of the box.

Yeah it uses quite a lot of power but the cooler is just so huge and well made it's not an issue.

I haven't even bothered playing with undervolting or overclocking yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

It gets very hot, well very hot compared to my 2080ti. I've played around with the fan curve to get it a bit more sensible to me and its still quiet. Played around with manual OC'ing tonight and you can get decent bit on top too, in benchmarks anyway.

Related with our previous conversation:
    https://youtu.be/XfIibTBaoMM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

So is anyone interested in the 6700 or 6700 XT if or when they appear? I'm only really interested in the 6800 XT / 3080 tier and above personally.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Simi wrote: »
    So is anyone interested in the 6700 or 6700 XT if or when they appear? I'm only really interested in the 6800 XT / 3080 tier and above personally.

I was planning on going with a 6600/6700 or a 3060/3060Ti class card before they got announced but with all the stock shortages and price gouging I'm not arsed any more. I'll keep an eye on things but I'll most likely just wait until the end of the year before I do a new build/upgrade.

Simi wrote: »

The 6700 and the 3060 will be the best sellers when they're widely available. The 1060 outsold the higher tier cards by multiples when it was launched. Most people don't have 600-1000 to spend on a GPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I may have to pick up a 6700 XT since I cannot get a hold of any of the more expensive cards. I had a 5700 XT and found it good so I wonder how much more performance is available to the new yet to be announced cards over the old.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Oh yeah that's announced today isn't it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Any one watching the 6700 event video?

Smart access for Ryzen 3000 series with a 6000 series GPU.

3000 series CPUs are getting smart access memory.
    Edit: beat me to it.

DisplayPort 1 dot 4. Who the fúck says dot instead of point?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

So what's $479 in real money with VAT?

So what's $479 in real money with VAT?

Just under €500 I suppose.

Similar performance to a 3070 for $479. Seems like ok value but I think most would go with the 3070 for better ray tracing performance. That is assuming you can get either of them and get them at RRP.

The 3070's RRP was $500 and €520 so yeah €500 seems about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Would that be a good card for high refresh 1440p?

Advertisement