Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

9th Place :: Guns n Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

"Take me back to Copperface Jacks and the classics we used to dance to....."

It's such a Coppers tune, isn't it ? And all those other nightclubs of a similar style where the emphasis is on absolutely losing yourself on the dancefloor with your mates with air guitars and hands in the air and trying to score a dodgy end of the night shift where the beer goggle effect is fully in play. When I listen to this song, those are the times I think of, especially now that I am married with 2 kids and those days are long behind me. Great intro, great song, but I've just heard it way too much :)

9th Place - 7 points to
    Strawberry Milkshake

Iconic intro that you've heard a million times - we must be getting Sweet Child O'Mine soon, right?

I really struggled with the "Intro" category. Not hugely surprised I did poorly. Your thoughts on Riders on the strom are spot on Rikand. I feel the same way about it. Big hit in my teenage years. I'm really looking forward to the foreign language one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Rikand wrote: »
    9th Place :: Guns n Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

Had to be included :)

I'd argue it's the definitive answer to best intro

I'm loving this round so far. I fear I'm next but the music so far has been fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Had to be included :)

I'd argue it's the definitive answer to best intro

I have another few in my head...I wonder if they're here?

• Advertisement

Woohoo 9th place again.

Still in the top ten! YEAH BABY!!!

I don't think theres any such thing as hearing Sweet Child O Mine too much!

Manics covered Sweet Child when supporting Bon Jovi last month, it was awesome :)

8th Place :: Faithless - Insomnia

This did better than it probably should have done. it's not that I don't love the song. And it's not that it isn't one of the most seminal songs released for the genre of music that I love. It opened EDM to an audience that may never have grown to appreciate dance music. Its just that when the song came out, I bought the single and then bought the album and listened to both repeatedly for months. Insomnia, Salva Mea, Drifting away and Don't leave - all got so much play from me that time. It's a great intro, though I prefer the intro to Drifting Away more off that album. Salva Mea is a much better dance track on that album for me too. The Melody is superb. Anyways, I'm gone off on a massive tangent away from Insomnia here

Its a great song yes, Its a great intro yes. Category Fit - Check. Genre I love - Check. Maybe a bit too safe? - Check, Check, Check.

8th Place - 8 points to
    Deleted User

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Was tempted to go with this one

• Advertisement

Insomnia, cracker :)

I agree about Salve Mea trumping it though

Ya way too safe but happy enough to scramble to 8th, I was so unsure how to go about picking songs for this and I really liked this song but had only heard it a few times as its not a genre I'd land on 2 often. Had a few options here although given you're knowledge of music I don;t think I could have come up with something I knew you haven't heard :)

Slight delay while I make a last minute change between the next 2 songs. Someone's gonna be slightly happier and someone slightly sadder :P

Who wants tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Who wants tea?

I just finished a cup but thanks SM :).

Happy not to have been called yet. I wasn't sure about my entry for this one to be honest. I was just listening to it as I entered and wanted to include it somewhere.

Who wants tea?

No thanks. But would you make me a lemsip since you're boiling the kettle anyway? ;)

Be-er?

7th Place : Alabama 3 - Woke up this morning

Oh, when submitting Alabama 3 songs, this would have been a great opportunity to submit Aint Goin to Goa. Man that would have top 3'd easy lol. Woke up this morning is a really good song. Got that great laidback Alabama 3 sound. It's a great intro and that lead singers vocal is as always just so great. But I kinda wish I had been listening to Aint Goin to Goa all week

(I tell a lie. I have been listening to it :P)

7th Place - 9 points to
    Builebeag

6th Place :: Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun

Lovely little energetic song. Great intro, Great pace, the quiet bit for people to sing along to, its got it all! Spoiled for me perhaps by how often I have listened to it. It's one of those songs that I always attributed to being from the 00's as that was when I first heard it and just assumed they were a new band. Was a couple of years before I realised it was originally released in the 80's lol

6th Place - 10 points to
    GreenAndRed

Just been rewatching the soparanos after having to subscribe to NOW tv for GOT :D (well I rewatched the wire first, which also has a great theme song)

• Advertisement

Guess I was almost 6th. Damn Rikand, why you gotta burn me like that?! :D

Always thought that song was by someone else though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Compared to Electric 6. Stunned.

I rewatched Sopranos last year, my am :o new favorite song from that was the three bells by the browns I loved how it was used in the series, although I wished they had used the last verse in another episode to finish it.

The violet femmes. I LOVE these blast from the past tunes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

That was the first English language track played on Radio Na Gaeltachta - Nice sound in the early 80's

No thanks. But would you make me a lemsip since you're boiling the kettle anyway? ;)

You get hot whiskey for choosing Alabama 3 ;)

Great song that alright. What movie was that in? Grosse point blank?

You get hot whiskey for choosing Alabama 3 ;)

Woohoo! Thanks SM!

• Advertisement

5th Place : Stone Temple Pilots - InterState Love Song

I havent listened to STP in SOOOOOO long. A solid guitar rift to open with here which always kinda reminds me of one of Janes Addiction songs for some reason. I just love the lead singers voice. I never expect that tone to come out of someone who looks like him lol. It's no Plush, but its still a great song :D Thank you for submitting this!

https://open.spotify.com/track/1AfYo6cKm3yHsJHdmNoGO1

5th Place - 11 points to
    Ectoplasm

Advertisement