Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

Options

Comments

Sorry i hate to dominate threads with my opinion but if you do ever re watch the Barcelona video (?) music video, at like 3:06 Montserrat Caballé uses a hand gesture, kinda like she is bewitching Freddie to sing even higher which i love.

And when he does they pull back to the crowd who literally light up.

They were great performers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand wrote:
    I have to say its the category I am most apprehensive about, but we shall see how it goes. Really hoping to get some new songs for my playlist from it

Ah you shouldn't be. The more pressing question is how I managed to get an Oasis song into this category ;)

(I may have lied about this being the last you heard of them :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

I remember them/her from Graham Norton, also a great song on that (another memo)

Well done Barney, great song.

And ty Rikand

Yeah, that's when I heard it first. I think that was the English version though. I didn't like it at first but it grew on me and then I found there was a French version which I'm a big fan of. It was almost my non-english language one.

Cheers rikand. I fear the only way is down from here but third and first is a lot better than I expected. I've hopes for one of the next four but the others should bring me back to earth.

Some greats songs in this round folks - good listening last night.

osh wrote: »
    Only just joined spotify but apparently it's good for recommending songs similar to what you like

Yeah it's amazing for that. There's one weekly playlist generated for you called Discover Weekly. It's 15 of so songs created from an algorithm based on your listening habits. That's how I found that Poolside harvest moon song for example. There's another similar one called Release Radar which is songs that have just been released but also based on your listening habits. Then there's your yearly playlist that is based off your most played 100 songs that year. I love listening to friend's versions of that. It's like a insight into their mind. I've combined my one with a friend's and played a game where we'd get other people to guess which song is who's. If I ever get around to doing one of these, I'm going to share my top 100 from 2018 so you might have an idea of what I'm into. There's a good few embarrassing guilty pleasures in there as well :pac: in fact my number 1 is a modern rap song which is... Usually one of my most hated genres

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Excellent winner, will enjoy that, I’ll try and throw together a Spotify playlist off all the songs to date.

Reading it back I feel l’ve been much too safe in my picks. It’s the same feeling you get when you go to a party and you’re underdressed compared to everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Rikand wrote: »
    4th Place : Muse - Hysteria

This has literally only jumped up to 4th place from 5th too. (Sorry Ecto!) - Great intro for a song that I havent heard in a long long time. I used to listen to a lot of Muse way back in the day and I had completely forgotten all about this song. It's got that great trademark Muse sound, cracking guitar riffs, baseline and the lead singers unmistakable tone. Just love it. Another thank you so much for submitting this :D

4th Place - 12 points to
    Mollyb60

Once again I'm chuffed you enjoyed Muse. They're my favourite band ever and this is my favourite song of theirs specifically for that bass line and the intro. There wasn't even another song I considered for this category. It was always going to be this song.

Special mention to Stu for Death Cab for Cutie track. Another one of my favourite bands but at least you didn't pick I Will Possess Your Heart for the this category. I always have to skip the album track because the intro goes on for about 6 minutes. I despise musical **** like that. Don't get me started on Stairway to Heaven.
    I'm so so so loving this Rikand, what an excellent game. Now I'm off to listen to 65daysofstatic, The Kills and Christine and the Queens for the day.

I’m keeping track of the scores if anyone wants to see it.

I’m keeping track of the scores if anyone wants to see it.

Yes please, mid table mediocrity is my goal

ROUND ONE
    Necro - 1
    Pretzil - 2
    Electric Nitwit - 3
    Osh - 4
    Tritium - 5
    Green&Red - 6
    Strawberry Milkshake - 7
    Ectoplasm - 8
    Builebeag - 9
    Fixxxer - 10
    MicksJaguar - 11
    Stu Redmond - 12
    Barney92 - 13
    mollyb60 - 14
    partyjungle - 15

ROUND TWO
    Necro - 3
    Pretzil - 8
    Tritium - 10
    Fixxxer - 13
    Stu Redmond - 13
    Strawberry Milkshake - 14
    Green&Red - 16
    Electric Nitwit - 17
    Osh - 17
    Builebeag - 18
    Ectoplasm - 19
    MicksJaguar - 19
    partyjungle - 19
    mollyb60 - 26
    Barney92 - 28

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Me and you Necro and a spat for the musical wooden spoon :)

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    Me and you Necro and a spat for the musical wooden spoon :)

A single drumstick is the prize :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pretzill wrote:
    Me and you Necro and a spat for the musical wooden spoon

I'm hoping my next few songs will be looked upon more favourably by Rikand Cowell :D

A single drumstick is the prize :D

One maraca :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'm sort of dreading my foreign language song now :-/

Green&Red wrote: »

Thanks Green & Red this is great.
    BTW really enjoying Death Cab for Cutie (new one for me!)

fixxxer wrote:
    I'm sort of dreading my foreign language song now :-/

As I said in the sign up thread, mine is either gonna be absolutely hated or loved. Completely down to taste tbh.

Of the four left of my picks there are only two I'm heavily invested in (album sales, love, memories etc)
    I just think this is the best of games, cos it's not a game and listening to Don't fear the reaper when I'm supposed to be working is just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Listened to all of them this morning, great playlist :)

It is highlighting how crap my memory is, there were 6 I didn't think I knew but four of them (The Who, Stone Temple Pilots, Joe Jackson and Christine) I recognised the second they kicked in

Not a single song picked I didn't like. Best intro has to be from Guns and Roses, Blue Oyster Cult or Muse, but safety and familiarity obviously costs you in this game!

I'm still so thrilled that 65daysofstatic went down well, with Rikand at least! When I entered I said:
    I hope one of the six makes you really sit up and notice, that'll reward me more than you liking all six

So the following response means I've succeeded more than I'd thought I would :)
    2nd Place :: 65daysofstatic - Retreat! Retreat!

First listen I was like.... "What have I just listened to????"
    ... I loved this way more than I ever expected to

To repeat what others are saying, thanks for setting this up Rikand, it's wonderful to be part of. It's making me trawl my own collection and remember some old favourites and introducing me to great new stuff. I look forward to these running and running. I'll do one myself, but probably have to wait until the autumn to be able to dedicate the required time to it

I'm gonna listen to em all when I get home from holiers this Sat, dont wanna bust my data allowance is the problem :(

• Advertisement

I'm still so thrilled that 65daysofstatic went down well, with Rikand at least!

That's a brilliant track too - I love how the ending mesmerises - reminds of how Supertramp's Crime of the Century did the first time I heard it - way, way back :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Only 14 unique songs submitted for this category, so you know what that means :eek:

Rikand wrote:
    Only 14 unique songs submitted for this category, so you know what that means

Double Walrus? :pac:

Necro wrote: »
    Double Walrus? :pac:

Lol

And in fact, I'm wrong. Only 12 unique songs submitted :D

Despite the fewer number of songs, looking like Saturday before I'll be able to reveal. On first listens, finding it very tough to decide what way I am ordering these.

@Greebo - thanks for the late entry! I'll give them a listen when I get free time in between the rest of my reveals :D

Necro wrote: »
    I'm gonna listen to em all when I get home from holiers this Sat, dont wanna bust my data allowance is the problem :(
    I thought you were in Cork? That's not a different country yeh know.

Mollyb60 wrote:
    I thought you were in Cork? That's not a different country yeh know.

I am, but I'm also very miserly with my data :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

...Only 12 unique songs submitted :D

I can't believe three other people picked the same song as me!

I will be surprised if no one picked the same song as me. Or at least the same artist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Songs from 2019, had to go back and check. I'm happy with what I picked here, although it sorta needs the video for maximum affect maybe.

Advertisement